The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with this, even if Newcastle come with a 2nd string, SAF will play a wonky formation and try to shoehorn as many people that need games into the 11 as possible.

It will be unbalanced and get ripped apart.

That's always what we do in the Cups though isn't it?

Hope we play Welbeck and Hernandez upfront, they both need games.

Saw it over there as well. Quite amusing. Seems like the ramblings of the Mad King has spread throughout the club if Shelvey really thinks SAF got him sent off.

The longer they blame others and not themselves, the worse they will do, so I'm quite pleased by the whole thing.

Having said that, we played poor and were lucky to win. Once again our incredible efficiency this season got us the points. It's great we have managed to overturn 3 games where we came behind to wins, something we didn't do a single time last season I think, but I'd prefer us to wake up at kickoff and not when SAF has his say at half-time.

Did RVP press from the front in Arsenal btw? That's one change that was made at half-time, that RVP started pushing their defenders a bit harder. Think that's what lead to the Valencia breakaway for the penner actually.

He's a Giant, looks built like a Terminator as well.

Had the same thought when I saw it live. Somebody, forget who, was totally free to the left. Admittedly there were some defenders in between who may have cut out the pass, but it looked like a wasted chance when he went on his own. It also looked like a nailed on penner watching it live, and although we now know it was cheap, I can certainly understand why it was given.

Nani often does his stop and wait trick to get the defender to do something so he can nip past him, which I think many hate him for. When it works it looks great and he often storms towards goal with option to either shoot or pass/cross, but when the defender just holds his ground he ends up wasting time and possibly a chance instead. That, plus he is so bloody good so when he doesn't have the defenders in his pocket maybe people think he isn't doing his best. Whatever it is, it's odd how he keeps getting criticised so heavily almost no matter what he does. Or maybe people are still subcontiously comparing him with Ronaldo.

Hope he signs the new contract soon. It's a player I don't want to lose.

Valencia is a beast when he is given time and space and does a lot defensively, but unlike Nani, he can't find his way through tight space. Very good player though, and was deservedly voted our best last season. I was kind of hoping Carrick would get it, but can't have any complaints about Valencia raking in the awards.

One thing I've noticed in the last few games is that the team seems a little out of sorts with itself. Like you said about Nani's stop-and-wait trick, right now it'll probably result in the defenders standing there or any flicks/quick passes aren't getting to their target or the first touches are too heavy. I think once people are into a rhythm then the performances are going to improve and we'll see things paying off more than they are right now.

On an entirely random note, I still can't believe Quaresma was supposed to be the more talented out of him and Ronaldo. If there is ever a story of hard work prevailing when it comes to teaching the youngsters, it's the way those two have had totally different careers.

I hope someone told Valencia that he is bloody lucky with that penalty. He had some good chances to cross/pass the ball, flapped about with the ball and then almost ran it out of play before he got knocked over.
I didn't want to be the first to mention that. It's the exact same thing that Nani gets torn apart for. Valencia gets away with it.
My first thought watching it was "You idiot! That was a perfect...lucky, very lucky." It was a horrendous piece of decision making.

I had the same reaction while watching it. Posted it in the match thread, iirc.

Is it the same knee? Not uncommon to get more injuries after such a serious one, but I had hoped it wouldn't be as bad as this. Back down to 2 DCs now, with a ton of important matches coming up :(

Phil Jones is out for a long time yet, but I think Smalling should be back by at least mid-October. physioroom says 7th, so hope that isn't too far off.

Hope Rio isn't picked for England again. At this rate, we'll need him as much as we did last season.

How old is Evans, he seems to have been a up and coming cb for a while, don't rate him too much, not a title winning defender in my eyes, he seems destined for everton one day in my eyes.

Rios not what he was, still a great defender mind,

I do think you may be missing something in defence, although your attack should have more than enough to brush away anyone but the top 4/6 really. Interesting season.

How old is Evans, he seems to have been a up and coming cb for a while, don't rate him too much, not a title winning defender in my eyes, he seems destined for everton one day in my eyes.

Rios not what he was, still a great defender mind,

I do think you may be missing something in defence, although your attack should have more than enough to brush away anyone but the top 4/6 really. Interesting season.

He's 24, only a bit older than Rio was when he joined us.

When is Young fit again?

Well... His simulated doctor hasn't been forthcoming with the simulated media about the simulated length of the simulated injury he received during his simulation...

Did you see that tackle by Glen Johnson? Tony is lucky to be alive and the penalty was scant consolation for his near fatal injuries. :p

True enough, if Johnson was a bit whiter I would have expected to see him charged with a hate crime tbf

Would prefer to play more of the young players who play further up the pitch but as we are quite top heavy in the squad then there's not much that can be done really. Very inexperienced back line, just lucky they have ameobi upfront rather than ba or cisse!

De Gea, Vermijl, M Keane, Wootton, Buttner, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Rooney, Welbeck, Chicharito

Nice lineup for tonight. Real chance for the defenders to impress. They all deserve a chance based on form.

subs: Johnstone, Evans, Powell, Tunnicliffe, King, Lingard, Brady

Also glad to see everyone I hoped would be involved is.

Nice team, not much width though.

Only bad thing about that bench is only 3 of them can get on :(

Would prefer to play more of the young players who play further up the pitch but as we are quite top heavy in the squad then there's not much that can be done really. Very inexperienced back line, just lucky they have ameobi upfront rather than ba or cisse!

And this, ladies and gentlemen, will by the reason why Amoebi scored a hat trick. Just in case anyone's wondering after the game

'Argh. Every bloody day now this forum is arsing up the pages.

Not much of a first half to speak of, except the two great shots by Anderson. And the shocking miss by Cleverley I guess. Young defence struggles a bit, not as aggressive as they should be. Probably nervous so hope they will be a little more 'on' in the second half. Hope to see Lingard on, but Powell will probably have preference.

Odd to see de Gea in such a game considering he was bought as our main goalie, but Lindegaard has done really well and it's good with real competition there. Was pleased to see DDG so commanding on that floating cross he picked down. Often he tips them, so good to see he is confident enough to pick them down.

Would like to see Henriquez at some point in this cup so hopefully we go through today and get an easier opponent next.

Archived