Sports Interactive Community
ddidiodion

The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

Best case scenario for you guys would be the owners can't afford to pay the minimum payment bank takes over the club and sell the club for whatever money they are owed.

It won't happen though, we make too much money.

The best case scenario to me right now is that after this desperate attempt to raise quick cash hasn't worked they realise that making money from the club isn't going to be as easy as they hoped and so they sell.

Not gonna happen, they were well aware of what was going to happen with the stock price :) Just look at what will happen to that same price if we win the Premiership or the CL... And you've got your answer on why RVP was brought in for all that money

Not gonna happen, they were well aware of what was going to happen with the stock price :) Just look at what will happen to that same price if we win the Premiership or the CL... And you've got your answer on why RVP was brought in for all that money

I disagree. An investor can already see how profits will spike if we win the league or even CL based on past results. If it doesn't interest them now at a low price I can't see how it will. If a dividend and equal voting was involved it would be different though.

All a potential buyer needs to do is look at how much money the Glazer's have taken out of the club since they bought it. Wipe our debt and that money is there's to take home minus whatever is needed for transfers. Even if they only take a maximum of 50% of what the Glazer's have taken per annum, it's still a solid yearly return.

It won't happen though, we make too much money.

Plus we do not have senior loans anymore, we would basically default on the bonds and the investors will try and force us into liquidation. At this point due to the enticing value of the club and the low value of the bonds (which will be in decline once people know we are in trouble) an investor would try and hoover up most of the bonds to control a majority of our debt and could then force control.

Unfortunately, before it got that bad the Glazers would just borrow money from some vulture-type corporate loan shark in Yankee land to buy some time.

p.s - In response to Tony7

The best case scenario to me right now is that after this desperate attempt to raise quick cash hasn't worked they realise that making money from the club isn't going to be as easy as they hoped and so they sell.

They already raised the money though.

Damn, just realised I have Saturday off and could have gone. Became a member for this very reason! Sold out now though :(

Anyway, question lads. If I was to go I'd be going by myself, is that the norm? Don't really know anyone who'd be in a position to go with me, as any purchases would be fairly late if tickets were available and I was.

I go on my own most weeks. Sometimes mates get tickets & I head down with them but i'm obviously not sat with them. I just talk to the people sat round me as I see them every home game obviously.

There's no way Wigan is sold out surely? :D They've been hounding me all week asking if I want to get tickets for friends & family.

The online ticket things suggested every area was "Unavailable", hovering over them all 1 by 1 is tedious!

Really? There's been no comments or quips with Fellaini coming out and saying he is ready to leave Everton?

Surprised nobody has been discussing the chance (however unrealistic & small) of Ronaldo leaving Madrid & coming home.

Personally I would let Madrid have whoever they wanted (apart from RvP & DdG). £50m + Vidic & Nani seems like a good deal to me. The club obviously have issues with Nani & Vidic was supposedly going there last summer anyway before his injury. I can dream :)

Quite frankly I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. As you say, anyone but RvP and DdG (and Kagawa tbf) plus whatever the hell the Glazers can scrape up from under the cushions in the couch.

Don't think it's happening. Too good to be true, and we don't have the money. What money there is has to be invested, at some point (right?), into central midfield.

Not even sure he is all that interested in leaving.

Right now I'm more worried about the report Kagawa has picked up a back injury.

Would most likely see Valencia going the other way if the rumours about Madrid being interested in him first time round were true. I'd rather not lose Rooney or Vidic for him, the idea of relying on Welbeck and Hernandez for half a season while RvP is injured isn't my cup of tea and any money offset by Vidic wouldn't be enough to buy a replacement and having Evans as the most senior central defender for half a season while Ferdinand is out injured (spot the pattern?) doesn't seem sensible.

Unless it was a like for like player (so Nani, Valencia or Young) then we'd be better off just getting another loan out.

Having Evans as the senior defender last season worked out well enough? It was the injuries everywhere else that cost us.

I forgot about Kagawa in my previous post which is unreal really :D It's all fantasy anyway unless he does actually want out of Madrid. But if he does we should be doing whatever it takes to bring him in as the commercial side will more than offset any outlay on fee/wages. But it's all the stuff of dreams at the moment.

Having Evans as the senior defender last season worked out well enough? It was the injuries everywhere else that cost us.

Ferdinand was the senior central defender for the vast majority of last season. However it was his first relatively injury free season in 3 years, I wouldn't rely on that happening again next season.

Tom Cleverley just missed an absolute sitter for England from about 6 yards :D

Edit: More like 4 yards :D

I really do think he's just your average everyday midfield player. Reminds me a lot of Milner.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him turn into a great player. There's no better feeling than seeing a young local player rise through the ranks to make it at his boyhood/hometown club. But I just don't see him being anything other than a squad player.

Not the best of rumours going around about RVP. Subbed off at halftime and stayed in changing room according to VDS.

Cleverley's better than average. His finishing isn't great though. He's like a two footed Anderson.

Cleverley is terrific. Such an intelligent player. Bad night at the office tonight, obvs. Nothing like Anderson in the finishing stakes though ffs 17 league goals in 86 appearances. Got a couple in pre-season a couple of years back too.

Though Ando has something like 5 in his last 15 or so starts of course :cool:

Both Welbeck and Cleverley will score a lot more than they do now in a few years time. As they mature as players they will work out how to score more at the top level. Both are physically gifted enough, some players find they aren't athletic enough to do at the top what they have lower down.

Cleverleys clearly much more of an intelligent and technically proficient player than Milner. He doesn't rely on pace or stamina to make an impact, he reads the game and retains the ball brilliantly. I like him a lot and I think if he can stay fit all season and keep his place in the team then we'll see a huge progression from him.

Of course, missing chances like the ones he had tonight was just shocking really :D

Cleverleys clearly much more of an intelligent and technically proficient player than Milner. He doesn't rely on pace or stamina to make an impact, he reads the game and retains the ball brilliantly. I like him a lot and I think if he can stay fit all season and keep his place in the team then we'll see a huge progression from him.

I wouldn't say he is a more intelligent player, but he is better technically.

Thought he was iffy tonight though, his first touch was pretty shocking at times, as were some of his lay offs. Then again, I think England are asking too much of him at this stage of his development.

Part of the problem tonight seemed to be a bit of a culture clash between the new fluid, high tempo, short passing game of the ex-U21s and the slower, straighter game of the golden generation players. So many passes not marrying up with the runs.

In addition to cheering on Andy Murray at the US Open, SAF said that he spoke to Pep Guardiola for a few minutes at some point during his trip to New York City.

A few days earlier the Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo had put out an article saying that SAF wants this to be his last season, that he would like Guardiola to be his successor, and that part of the reason Guardiola chose NYC for his year away from management was to refine his command of English. The last bit is publicly known but the first two are just speculation of course. So who knows for now.

Seriously doubt SAF is planning to retire at the end of this season, unless there are sudden health concerns we don't know about. Heck, the other day Robson said he could stay on for another 6-7 years.

I can't see that happening either, he'd be over 75 then, but unless something drastic changes with his health, he should be able to keep going for a few more years.

I dread the day he is no longer in charge. Put any man on this planet you like in his chair, and it is a downgrade. :(

Guardiola would be a failure at Manchester United.

Ooh, that was typed with such an authoritative tone that it must be true.

Seriously doubt SAF is planning to retire at the end of this season, unless there are sudden health concerns we don't know about. Heck, the other day Robson said he could stay on for another 6-7 years.

I can't see that happening either, he'd be over 75 then, but unless something drastic changes with his health, he should be able to keep going for a few more years.

I dread the day he is no longer in charge. Put any man on this planet you like in his chair, and it is a downgrade. :(

From what i understand, next season will be his final season in charge.

Ooh, that was typed with such an authoritative tone that it must be true.

Moyes, Mourinho or Wenger are the faves for the job.

Almost as bas as Will Hall's post. :D

Why?

Moyes and Mourinho have always been linked with the job and get on well with SAF, also SAF will have a say in his successor.

The idea of Wenger becoming manager is a bit leftfield, however him and SAF get on well now and lets face it stranger things have happened like Van Persie joining, I admit 5 years ago the idea would have been silly, but times have changed.

Part of the problem tonight seemed to be a bit of a culture clash between the new fluid, high tempo, short passing game of the ex-U21s and the slower, straighter game of the golden generation players. So many passes not marrying up with the runs.

I'll agree with this. The golden gen players are pretty locked into the style they want to play/have been playing for England and they keep falling back into the old routine. One of my biggest issues with the England selection is that there's thought on how players' styles interact with each other. I remember a comment (might have been from Chris Waddle) about when England tried Joe Cole at the tip of a diamond but then refused to actually let him play as a trequartista.

What does a midfield trio of Gerrard, Lampard and Cleverley bring to the England team? Especially since Cleverley just might be the more tactically astute of the three.

Moyes, Mourinho or Wenger are the faves for the job.

Not a chance with the last two. Mourinho won't be coming anywhere near the managerial seat unless he makes a complete about-face in managerial style and personality. There's nothing about how he uses his teams which work for United. Wenger would be a great option for the Glazers money-wise but that's about it. Again, can't see that one happening at all.

This 'life after SAF' question pops up every few months. Personally I don't think Guardiola will be going anywhere other than back to Barcelona in a few years, however he'd be class at Utd.

The problem will not only be trying to replace the quality of manager but also the longevity. We don't want to be replacing our manager every 2-3 seasons after SAF by bringing in new managers who'll move somewhere else when they get bored (read: Mourinho), we want someone to come in and be able to keep us challenging season after season, accepting that Utd is a long term job. The only managers I see capable of doing that are Moyes or possibly Solskjaer but he hasn't proved himself above English Reserve or Norwegian Prem level, or we could promote from within the club.

From what i understand, next season will be his final season in charge.

And you have exactly zero to base that "understanding" upon.

It's not impossible we sit here in five years and worry about who will succeed Sir Alex.