The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ross Barkley?

That's the one. I thought it was Barkley but then I kept thinking of that reporter.

So it's £15m for Baines, £15m for Rodwell and then the £5m to take back Neville (RB cover) and a potentially decent CM. :D

Annoing Alba moves that cheaply, but we never had a chance anyway. Should fit well into Barca too with his high "rolling on grass to time played" ratio.

No injuries during the Euros, so that is good. Would have liked to see Portugal go through after their amazing performance yesterday, but it just wasn't to be :(

Get a good rest Nani, sign the extension and come back and win 20 next season :thup:

That's not a flaw in my reasoning. A year and a half isn't so significant. The point is that they're similar ages, at similar stages in their development, and so a similar fee wouldn't be as unsurprising (to me at least) given the other caveats such as the time remaining on Young's contract at the time.

That's not a flaw in my reasoning. A year and a half isn't so significant. The point is that they're similar ages, at similar stages in their development, and so a similar fee wouldn't be as unsurprising (to me at least) given the other caveats such as the time remaining on Young's contract at the time.

You tried to pass off the difference as 7 months, it isn't. I didn't say it invalidated your entire point, merely that your reasoning was flawed and pointed out where.

The actually issue is we massively overpaid for Young and shouldn't be doing that again.

Where did I try to pass off the difference as 7 months? I said there is 7 months between them, which there is (2 days aside). I credited the userbase with the ability to realise that it isn't last summer. The reasoning is that they're similar ages; that in football 26 isn't a world away from 27 and a half. Ridiculous.

Where did I try to pass off the difference as 7 months? I said there is 7 months between them, which there is (2 days aside). I credited the userbase with the ability to realise that it isn't last summer. The reasoning is that they're similar ages; that in football 26 isn't a world away from 27 and a half. Ridiculous.

Except it is, it's probably half of a players peak years.

Bit of a stretch to generalise players' peak years into as small a sample as three years. Plus, defenders typically peak later :cool:

Central defenders yes, fullbacks who are primarily attacking players tend to peak earlier and Baines is about as good as he's ever going to get and stamina is one of the most important factors in his game, which will be even more pronounced if he moves to United.

If this was last year then £17m would have been fair enough given fullbacks are generally cheaper then wingers, however the year lost is more important in the context of price than the extra year on his contract. Anything more than £15m for a leftback who is only going to be playing at this level for another 2 years is fair, anything more would be daft and we'd be better off just keeping and playing Fabio.

Well Young moved to an upper mid table, Europa League challenging club with Champions League aspirations in Villa at 21 and a half, while Baines moved to a Europa league challenging club with Champions League aspriations in Everton at 22 and a half, so taking the generalisations out of it it's not a stretch to suggest Baines is developing around a year later than Young.

At any rate, it seems you're quibbling over £2m (and I don't see any reason why Baines would be declining at 29), so I'm going to return to saying this argument is ridiculous :D

Though I don't understand why we're not just keeping and playing Fabio anyway.

"Good but not great". :lol: You are the same club who spent 8m on Bebe, so yes. 5m for us is almost two players, so it'll make a hell of a difference.

I'm still laughing at this argument.

Baines is good yes, but United will not pay more than £20m for him (they might pull out of negotiations of course).

Well Young moved to an upper mid table, Europa League challenging club with Champions League aspirations in Villa at 21 and a half, while Baines moved to a Europa league challenging club with Champions League aspriations in Everton at 22 and a half, so taking the generalisations out of it it's not a stretch to suggest Baines is developing around a year later than Young.

At any rate, it seems you're quibbling over £2m (and I don't see any reason why Baines would be declining at 29), so I'm going to return to saying this argument is ridiculous :D

Though I don't understand why we're not just keeping and playing Fabio anyway.

Oh hypocrisy thy name is I.

I honestly don't see us paying 20 unless we are really that desperate to get him. Besides, its not like Moyes needs the money. Give em 12 and they'll have signed 4 players within the week.

I honestly don't see us paying 20 unless we are really that desperate to get him. Besides, its not like Moyes needs the money. Give em 12 and they'll have signed 4 players within the week.

Congratulations, I think you just broke the record for most absolute nonsense on the forums :D

I'm still laughing at this argument.

Baines is good yes, but United will not pay more than £20m for him (they might pull out of negotiations of course).

Suits me perfectly. It's not like we're desperate to offload Baines that we'll be like 'oh, you don't want to pay more than 20m? fine, just for you, we'll take less!' :rolleyes:

tbf, we don't even need 12m to sign four players. We only pick them up on frees or get them in on loans anyway :(

Yes but Moyes still needs money, he just won't get it from Kenwright. So with 12 million you may well sign 4 players, it just won't be for the 12m :D

Come again?

Its from Hamlet:

Hamlet is chastised by his uncle (and new stepfather) Claudius, for grieving his father so much, calling it unmanly. In the following soliloquy, Hamlet denounces his mother's swift remarriage, with the statement, "Frailty, thy name is woman." He thus equates womankind with the attribute of frailty.

Evra hasn't had the greatest season, he's getting along and doesn't look like Fabio is progressing as well as we hoped. Which is disappointing because in the last few editions of FM I've always had Fabio replacing Evra within several seasons.

Always got the option to play Evra left wing - he did play him there when he first came. He's certainly got the skills to be there. Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with Evra that a good rest wouldn't cure, Baines doesn't strike me as being any better going forward certainly. I agree that we need to strengthen midfield not LB.

Archived