The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, think he's had a really hard think about this, and eventually came down on prolonging his club career (or increasing his chances of that at least) over playing the odd game for England.

For some odd reason people have been jumping on him for the flight to Qatar or wherever it was. As if sitting in a comfy seat on a plane is as straining as playing a match of football :lol:

So awards night tonight, opinions?

Player Of The Year: Carrick

Goal Of The Season: Van Persie vs Villa

Reserve Player Of The Year: Can't choose personally, Januzaj's progress has been staggering, but Thorpe and Vermijl have had excellent, extremely consistent seasons

U18s Player Of The Year: Has to be one of James Weir and Ben Pearson for me. Weir has come a long way since last year and really cemented his place in the team, played very well all season. Pearson on the other hand has come in as a first year but played like he's been here for years, big future ahead of him

Player of the season should be Carrick. But if it's been voted for by worldwide fans, it will probably be RVP due to his immediate impact and goals.

Goal of the season: RVP against Villa. Crazy good pass from Rooney, and even better finish from RVP. His twisted header against Southampton was fantastic too. Not as cool-looking, but very, very hard to pull off.

U21 player of the season: Has to be Januzaj in my opinion. Even at this level he looks a step above by now, and he could still play for the U18s. Got high hopes for him (please don't leave!)

U18 player of the season: Pearson or Dæhli. Think Dæhli has faded a bit now towards the end, so maybe Pearson deserves it more. Dæhli got it last season too, which may have an impact on these things. Wilson should be in the running too, but his injury may prevent it.

He hasn't only just lost him though, Hodgson had never selected him IIRC and it only happened when all the other centre backs had injuries so he called him up and Rio didn't fancy it. Pretty sure whatever was said Rio wasn't gonna play for England again unless there was a similar situation

Can't watch the damn thing, but according to what some chaps said on redcafe, SAF nor Gill will be involved in any transfers. Gill is being replaced with a Glazer lapdog, so I fear we won't be seeing too much excitement this summer.

Remains to be seen of course, but I think Gill leaving is very substantial too. There used to be a duo of resistance in Gill and SAF. Now there is a new manager in charge and a Glazer guy on top of the moneybag. Not a good combination.

I don't get these kind of things at all. Its not as if Gill has been running around splashing the cash is it? Finances have always been the first concern.

Club success is essential to the business plan in place. Ed Woodward isn't going to come in and deliberately harm the team by influencing transfers. He will outline the budget and Moyes will work with it. With the club turning healthy profits there is no need to change the current budget in a major way.

I hope you are right, but sure as hell wouldn't put my life savings on it. Both Gill and SAF have been "United first" guys, so I trust them much more than yet another Glazer henchman. Hopefully they'll stay out of the football side of things and give Moyes enough money to improve the squad in a meaningful way. I do think it's more difficult for Moyes to make such an argument though, than SAF with a proven record of success. Though I suppose this is where SAF and Charlton may wield some influence in the board.

Adnan Januzaj Reserve Player Of The Year. Huge talent, can't wait to see him in the first team

Bit of a poisoned chalice, no? 10 years since a winner has made it; unless you count Joe Red.

5 years for the YPOY (Welbeck), and out of the RPOY since Rossi won it only Michael Keane has looked like potentially making it here. The likes of Chester, Lee and Eckersley were decent enough players, but not good enough to make it here and you could never look at them and go 'yes he's got a huge chance of making it'. Januzaj does.

Player's Player Of The Year is Michael Carrick. Fergie taking a few shots at City in his speech beforehand as well :D
Player Of The Year goes to Robin van Persie

Fantastic that Michael Carrick won! Thoroughly deserved. I rate the players' award higher than the other one, as that is basically a popularity contest with x million (?) fans voting. The players themselves are more capable of choosing the most important player, and Carrick has been truly instrumental this season. I would have been more worried if he had gotten a long-term injury than if RVP did, although the latter would obviously blow pretty hard too. At least we have options up front though. There are no real alternatives to Carrick.

Fantastic that Michael Carrick won! Thoroughly deserved. I rate the players' award higher than the other one, as that is basically a popularity contest with x million (?) fans voting. The players themselves are more capable of choosing the most important player, and Carrick has been truly instrumental this season. I would have been more worried if he had gotten a long-term injury than if RVP did, although the latter would obviously blow pretty hard too. At least we have options up front though. There are no real alternatives to Carrick.

I follow a twitter account that tweets out comments posted on the official United facebook account (try not to implode Pan, please?) and I can tell you that you are spot on with the assessment of the two awards :D

5 years for the YPOY (Welbeck), and out of the RPOY since Rossi won it only Michael Keane has looked like potentially making it here. The likes of Chester, Lee and Eckersley were decent enough players, but not good enough to make it here and you could never look at them and go 'yes he's got a huge chance of making it'. Januzaj does.

Think Michael Keane has a real chance too, and obviously Januzaj. Perhaps the strangest award that I recall from recent years has been to Gill jr. didn't seem like a particularly good player to me, and it felt more like a sending away present since he had decided to go in his father's business footsteps instead. Certainly a good choice, but the award was strange.

Sincerely hope so too. A whole season out at that age can be devastating for your chances at this level. It's hard enough to make it under normal circumstances. He is talented though, so I hope he can come back as good as he was before the injury. Michael Keane will probably go out on loan again next season, but his age could be well-timed for becomeing a squad player when Rio retires in a couple of seasons.

I hope Moyes will be able to maintain this kind of production line too, provided he stays long enough of course. With all the different teams SAF has built, it's amazing that we've never really had a serious down period. 3rd a couple of times, but otherwise top 2. It really is incredible.

Did RVP get changed halfway through the awards when he seen that everyone was wearing black suits? He turned up in a grey one then is seen accepting his award in the the black suit and bow tie. :D

SAF doing all he can to support Moyes : "He's got a good squad of players and he will want to add to that. He will have his own ideas and that's good. He will be fine."

Sowing the seeds of transfer activity.

So we're probably set for weeks of will he/won't he rumours for CR. Also today's rumours are he will follow Mourinho to Chelsea.

Basically it all comes down to this : I think he only wants to play for Utd in England, but if we don't even make a move for him, there's nothing that will keep him from going to Chelsea/City? What do you guys think?

With Sir Alex gone, I think our chances for signing him have gone through the floor. Suspect he will stay, as Real will do all they can to keep him. Real without Ronaldo means Barca will walk to the league with ease. They have to keep him.

Don't think he will go to City under any circumstances really. He doesn't want to spit his "second father" in the face like that, nor all the fans who adore him in the right part of town. Ronaldo strikes me as a very emotional guy, so I think he cares about things like this. He's not another Tevez.

Not to the same degree, but I can't really see him going there either, even if Mourinho goes there, as we all expect by now. If he's available we'll do everything we can to get him, and if Ronaldo has a choice between us and Chelsea/City, I have no doubt where he will go. Think he'll stay though, at least for the time being. He has two years left right? So maybe next summer will be more interesting.

Anyway, looks like Rio will sign on for another year, which is great news. Hope Rooney's 2-3 braincells re-locate each other again and he comes to his senses. He's a good player and we are stronger if he stays. But if he does leave, I won't cry a river. It's getting harder to love the man when he pulls crap like this.

"Shankly used to come over here once a week to see Matt," he said. "It's difficult to know what to do for the best, and that's where the club should offer some support, but I certainly have no plans to start hanging round City's training ground. I gave up council housing a long time ago."

:lol: Is he the Boss or what? :lol:

Archived