The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I the furore over the comments about Rooney. We've forgotten the most significant thing Fergie said in his interview. Why he decided to retire.

He's always carried on managing because his wife has given him her consent. Part of the reason she was happy for that was because she had so much going on with the family & her sister supported her in it. That her sister died was clearly significant. It's what made him decide "right, that's it, we've got to have some time together now." Full credit & respect to the man for doing that.

I the furore over the comments about Rooney. We've forgotten the most significant thing Fergie said in his interview. Why he decided to retire.

He's always carried on managing because his wife has given him her consent. Part of the reason she was happy for that was because she had so much going on with the family & her sister supported her in it. That her sister died was clearly significant. It's what made him decide "right, that's it, we've got to have some time together now." Full credit & respect to the man for doing that.

From what I read it was Cathy's best friend, not her sister. She deserves to have him more around I suppose, but I wish he'd still be our gaffer for a couple more years. Hopefully Moyes can pick up the mantle in decent fashion though. He's got some gigantic shoes to fill!

Is anyone else slightly concerned that Moyes may give Young, Valencia and Anderson 'clean slates' and we may have to endure another season of them?

On a side note, with the CS now against Wigan a trophy in his first match would be a big monkey off his back if we can win that one.

Is anyone else slightly concerned that Moyes may give Young, Valencia and Anderson 'clean slates' and we may have to endure another season of them?

From what I've seen Anderson gave us fresh impetus today. At the very least he has value as an impact sub. Has played well more often than not for some time now.

Is there actual chat about Meulensteen going? Or just a suspicion that Moyes might replace him when he brings his own men in?

Terrified that the hoofball displayed in Everton's first will be gracing OT next season. Lucky that Fellaini's involvement won't be coming with - apparently he's sticking around in the hope that the new boss will play him in his favoured defensive midfield role.

He'll almost definitely give Young and Valencia clean slates - they're the type of players I see him having a love in for. I don't mind that with Valencia, at least we know that somewhere in there is a really effective winger, but with Young it's clear as day he's nowhere near our level.

If the right offer comes in for Ando he'll be off. Shame really, today was yet another glimpse of the kind of player he could be but a lack of a consistent period of being first choice has almost ruined him. I'd love for him to turn it round, one of my personal cult favourites in the team.

From what I've seen Anderson gave us fresh impetus today. At the very least he has value as an impact sub. Has played well more often than not for some time now.

Is there actual chat about Meulensteen going? Or just a suspicion that Moyes might replace him when he brings his own men in?

Terrified that the hoofball displayed in Everton's first will be gracing OT next season. Lucky that Fellaini's involvement won't be coming with - apparently he's sticking around in the hope that the new boss will play him in his favoured defensive midfield role.

It came from him saying in an interview that the agreement was always that the coaching staff would have a brainstorming session following Sir Alex's departure over their future.

From what I've read, Moyes is bringing Round with him, but intends on keeping the coaching staff largely the same.

Why would Howard, Fellaini or Baines come? Christ these players cost money it's not like Moyes can just let them walk without some sort of transfer fee. And we don't need any Everton players to improve us.

What?! Surely Fellaini is exactly what's needed?

Not this season he hasn't. Not even when playing in defence.

Can always be fixed. I also think he might try the Baines+Pienaar combo with Evra and Nani (or Young, but I hope it'll be Nani).

I have no idea. Its pointless using what he has done at Everton and thinking he will do it here. Totally different situations.

Sure, different situations but if you've seen what he's done at Everton, it's clear he has a brain and isn't stupid. You don't do what he's done (achieve top 6 finishes with **** amount of money) without being smart. He won't make stupid decisions like bringing Tim Howard with him or signing Phil Neville or whatever else people in here can come up with.

Why would Howard, Fellaini or Baines come? Christ these players cost money it's not like Moyes can just let them walk without some sort of transfer fee. And we don't need any Everton players to improve us.

He's so happy to have taken over he'll pay from his own pocket

So, Fergie's wife is to blame, shouldn't the usual football reaction be to boo his wife now? ;)

Don't really want him either. Though I suppose we should get another yellow card machine now when Scholes has retired. He has some pretty nasty elbows at times too, which will be highlighted 10 times more if he was playing for us. Part and parcel of being the biggest club in the country.

Kevin Strootman is looking like a pretty available alternative, I reckon half the price of Fellaini too. He might be more what we need in my opinion.

Strootman is a much better alternative to Fellaini imo, especially when you consider the cost/lack of cover for Carrick. I would also look at Asier Illarramendi. Best way to describe him for those who haven't seen him is a younger, angrier, more mobile Spanish Carrick.

Fellaini would be very useful for us, as Scott mentioned we could push him further forward when we need to score etc ala Yaya Toure.

Also he would be offer us a great aerial threat.

Would be a very good signing imo

He does need to tone down the elbows though.

He is not close to Toure though, Yaya is an exceptionally good passer, something a lot of people seem to miss. He has a very strong all around game. Fellaini's passing is not expansive.

25m for a "DM" who has a bit of height, and can be pushed forward? Just use Jones if you need that, he is free. Imo thats £25m that could be better spent.

Archived