The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
right footed left back fits with our right footed left winger(s) anyway...what's the problem?

Doesn't really fit, either will be looking to cut in, whereas one right footer and a left footer will give you more options from wide positions.

Congratulations and good luck to David Moyes. I hope he does well. All indications are that he knows how to play good football when provided with the proper personnel and isn't afraid to go physical.

Amused by some of the coverage in the media. Don't understand all this talk about loyalty and long term, just pure romanticism talking and talk is cheap. The moment he fails to finish in top 4 and get out of the CL group stages the Glazers will terminate his employment with extreme prejudice since that financial repercussions will be enormous. And if he doesn't win the league / trophies after a few years, the fans will be wondering why in the world we didn't appoint some proven manager and not even Fergie or Sir Bobby Charlton will be able to save his bacon.

Congratulations and good luck to David Moyes. I hope he does well. All indications are that he knows how to play good football when provided with the proper personnel and isn't afraid to go physical.

Amused by some of the coverage in the media. Don't understand all this talk about loyalty and long term, just pure romanticism talking and talk is cheap. The moment he fails to finish in top 4 and get out of the CL group stages the Glazers will terminate his employment with extreme prejudice since that financial repercussions will be enormous. And if he doesn't win the league / trophies after a few years, the fans will be wondering why in the world we didn't appoint some proven manager and not even Fergie or Sir Bobby Charlton will be able to save his bacon.

Why are you suprised by the press coverage?

Build something up just to be in pole position to tear it down, that has been their standard practice in this country since the invention of paper. They will make a big deal of Mourinho arriving, they will make a big deal of Wengers replacement, they will build it up to a frenzy and then later be the first to pick the reasons if it all fails.

Coming around to the idea of Moyes. Although I would always back us 100%.

Listening more and more to people who know him better than me and it sounds like he could do a good job.

My only issue with Moyes is that he's the dull, cheap, sensible, steady-eddie Glazernomic option, and we've seen too much of that at United lately. He'll probably turn out to be a great choice in the long run, and it goes without saying that every United supporter should be backing him, but the comparisons to Fergie show one big difference, where SAF had been remarkably successful in a trophies sense, Moyes has been remarkably succesful in the money/steadiness sense.

We've argued with Fergie's decisions in the past, especially the midfield tombola, so I don't expect that to change, but without the unarguable past successes to calm oneself with, it'll probably be more tempting for some to go overboard when the inevitable dips occur.

The team has a very solid core, I don't want too many changes, but I don't think any United fan would struggle to draw a list of 4-6 players who they wouldn't mind leaving if an opportunity to replace them came along. Am I imagining Ferguson mentioning marquee signings too? That means they're nailed on right?

please :D

but he better not spend ALL the budget doing it, because Moyes needs some to bring Baines+Fellaini in

You don't need to mention Baines+Fellaini in every post you know?

6 years is a hell of a committment but it makes a statement that you're convinced Moyes if the right choice, none of this 'give him 3 years, see how it goes' and it it does go wrong I am sure it won't stop you changing things but just sends out a strong message from the start. Right thing to do tbh

It's spelt 'ridiculous' people.

With regard to the post by Razzler, it doesn't matter how long the contract is, if he's doing poorly then he won't last more than three years anyway.

Anything below third in the league is what I would class as a poor season.

It's spelt 'ridiculous' people.

With regard to the post by Razzler, it doesn't matter how long the contract is, if he's doing poorly then he won't last more than three years anyway.

Anything below third in the league is what I would class as a poor season.

Exactly, that was I was getting at. If you needed to make a change within that 6 years of course you'd do it but up front with a new appointment in this manner the 6 years looks a good show of confidence and backing up front even if, in reality, it doesn't really mean anything

I don't think managers should be getting a fully paid up contract when things don't work out, maybe a year payoff, tops tbh

Say what now? What utter, utter nonsense. The club signs a deal, if there are no get-out clauses they should pay the remaining amount of the contract. That's how contracts work

Say what now? What utter, utter nonsense. The club signs a deal, if there are no get-out clauses they should pay the remaining amount of the contract. That's how contracts work

Super high compensation when you've not been very good though. That's a load of rubbish. I think such get out clauses regarding comp should be the norm

Super high compensation when you've not been very good though. That's a load of rubbish. I think such get out clauses regarding comp should be the norm

Nonsense. If a club does not want to pay the super high amounts they should agree a deal that does not have it or tell the manager to do one.

A club ties a person into a job where he can only walk away on their say so and only with the club receiving compensation. If the opposite happened and the club wanted to walk away from the manager, the club needs to compensate him.

"RUBBISH" is subjective, if you put firm covenants on results that can lead to his sack then that is fine and it will be in the terms of the deal. To say "Hang on mate, you are sacked and will get this mouldy fiver as compo because you are rubbish" is tosh.

Nonsense. If a club does not want to pay the super high amounts they should agree a deal that does not have it or tell the manager to do one.

Yes, that's the 'such clauses shoud be the norm' bit. I'd imagine they'd be a bit more worked into such clauses to mean people like Nigel Adkins don't get skanked but the likes of Dean Saunders don't walk away with a bunch of cash for being hopeless

Seems like a profession where it's quite lucrative to be useless though :D

My only issue with Moyes is that he's the dull, cheap, sensible, steady-eddie Glazernomic option, and we've seen too much of that at United lately. He'll probably turn out to be a great choice in the long run, and it goes without saying that every United supporter should be backing him, but the comparisons to Fergie show one big difference, where SAF had been remarkably successful in a trophies sense, Moyes has been remarkably succesful in the money/steadiness sense.

We've argued with Fergie's decisions in the past, especially the midfield tombola, so I don't expect that to change, but without the unarguable past successes to calm oneself with, it'll probably be more tempting for some to go overboard when the inevitable dips occur.

The team has a very solid core, I don't want too many changes, but I don't think any United fan would struggle to draw a list of 4-6 players who they wouldn't mind leaving if an opportunity to replace them came along. Am I imagining Ferguson mentioning marquee signings too? That means they're nailed on right?

You don't need to mention Baines+Fellaini in every post you know?

You say it's a cheap option like we've gone to the lower leagues and picked some random mug who's willing to do the job for free. Fergie has had his eye on Moyes for years, way before the glazers took over. He wanted him as his assistant in 1998, so to say it's money motivated is incorrect imo. maybe the timing is, in that we've waited for moyes's contract to expire? but in terms of it being moyes, i don't think it's a money motivated appointment at all.

as for the squad, I think Fergie has built a good core there but you are right, I think there's a few that need moving on and improvements are needed because let's face it, even though we've won the league I don't think we've played well at all, or for a few years for that matter.

He's cheap as in compared to what the cost of getting a top manager in (say Mourinho) would be.

And if clubs are worried they might have hired someone crap then stick in performance clauses throughout the contract that leave the board the option to terminate the contract at their discretion, if they cant be bothered to do that then the decision should hit them hard in the pockets.

well yeah, but he just so happens to be cheaper, as opposed to that being the main reason for appointing him.

Wouldn't bother arguing with dion. He has already decided that Moyes is useless and should be sacked as soon as we lose two on the trot.

I could see Barkley working well with Powell eventually, maybe not in a 2 but as part of a 3 man midfield, maybe that's more of an England dream than a United one though! I think he'll stay way from Everton transfer wise, out of respect and the fact that there is nobody there who is an obvious target who we couldn't find similar elsewhere.

Archived