Sports Interactive Community
ddidiodion

The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

Your FA cup replay is on Mon 1st April, which means playing Sat/Mon.

That is going to be tough then but it could have been worse and come closer to the derby. I would be tempted to have two separate squads for those games other than maybe DDG. No doubt Carrick, Evra and RVP will probably play both games though.

Rooney's delivered 75 goals in 114 league games and 99 in 156 in all comps over the last four seasons*. This while having an awful run of form in 2010; injuries; playing in a variety of positions and roles; an inability to score penalties; and playing in increasingly the worst United side since the War. Who else is there that we could feasibly get who can sport that level of consistency? Plus he's proven in the Premier league and only 27.

If he were to go then I would say to go for a genuine world class central/defensive midfielder, though I'm not sure how many there are in the mould we require. A front line of RvP, Welbeck and Hernandez supplemented by Kagawa, Henriquez and Keane should still be good enough. Maybe a midfielder from the next bracket (Fellaini?) and a winger of a similar level (Lennon? or some bright young thing from the continent like Rodriguez or Draxler?) if we do sell up but I really think it would be a mistake.

I'm not saying they are of similar ability levels but I'd be about as excited about signing Lennon as I was about signing Obertan after everyone (including his last coach) declared their bewilderment at the signing

Last time contract talks came around Rooney was billy big bollocks, dictacting things 'I may go City' 'I want to see improvements' (valid point at the time tbf) .... now it's flipped around. United/Fergie are holding the cards. We'll dictate terms, thanks and where the feck are you gonna go?

I wonder if Fergie remembers the last round of contract negotiations in all this.

180px-Wally_Lewis_%2829_April_2004,_Brisbane%29.jpg

I'm not saying they are of similar ability levels but I'd be about as excited about signing Lennon as I was about signing Obertan after everyone (including his last coach) declared their bewilderment at the signing

Lennon's great. You obviously just have some sort of blind spot for immensely talented wingers ;)

Lennon is the type of player we shouldn't be signing. He'll be expensive, he's not exactly young so he'll have to adapt almost immediately and he's really 1 dimensional (although that is a very good one).

Guy's only 25 and he's proven quality from wide areas in our league. If we want a winger for now that isn't Bale or Ronaldo then he's probably the best bet. Don't know that he's that one dimensional either.

I wasn't paying attention to your spat until this page.

Lennon :D

BE EXCITED DAMMIT!

It's apparently common sense :(

*more excited than signing Obertan

Where'd this Lennon talk come from?

He's 25 and 11 months, so would be 26 when we got him which is the issue for me, not his quality (which is no doubt good enough to be at the club). I don't deny he's better than what we already have on the right after Nani, but he's not THAT much better to warrant the price we'd have to pay and the adaptation process. It's the reason I was against the Young signing, if you're going to sign players of that age they really have to be so good they completely make the position their own right from the off, something Lennon would struggle to do if Valencia or Nani hit form. You're much better off investing in a player a bit younger where the pressure isn't completely on from the get-go, especially when the player in question can only play in one position.

If you can't get Bale or Ronaldo then go for someone younger who can grow into being a United player, I'd rather spend £15m on Zaha (and you all know what I think of that signing) than the £20m it would cost to get Lennon (minimum). It's just a personal opinion but if you're going to buy someone 26+ who is already established elsewhere then they have to be an obviously better than anything you currently have, otherwise it just isn't worth it and you end up overpaying for a player who never quite reaches the heights he did before you bought him. It's what puts me off the Modric to Man Utd rumours now, he'll never be the £30m player we'll have to pay, you might as well invest it in someone younger who can grow into the role.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will disagree with me, but I just don't think those types of signings (Cabaye was the one that springs to mind from last year) generally work.

Where'd this Lennon talk come from?

This thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/309168-The-2012-2013-Manchester-United-Thread-B%C3%BCttman-and-Robin

He's 25 and 11 months, so would be 26 when we got him. I don't deny he's better than what we already have on the right after Nani, but he's not THAT much better to warrant the price we'd have to pay and the adaptation process. It's the reason I was against the Young signing, if you're going to sign players of that age they really have to be so good they completely make the position their own right from the off, something Lennon would struggle to do if Valencia or Nani hit form. You're much better off investing in a player a bit younger where the pressure isn't completely on from the get-go, especially when the player in question can only play in one position.

If you can't get Bale or Ronaldo then go for someone younger, I'd rather spend £15m on Zaha (and you all know what I think of that signing) than the £20m it would cost to get Lennon (minimum). It's just a personal opinion but if you're going to buy someone 26+ who is already established elsewhere then they have to be an obviously better than anything you currently have, otherwise it just isn't worth it and you end up overpaying for a player who never quite reaches the heights he did before you bought him. It's what puts me off the Modric to Man Utd rumours now, he'll never be the £30m player we'll have to pay, you might as well invest it in someone younger who can grow into the role.

Yeah, I get that. Arrived at Lennon via a process of elimination when considering our squad and who's out there and could conceivably be available. Think it's very harsh to tar him with Young's brush mind! Thing is the squad looks pretty rosy in most areas bar the wings and defensive mid, which would be addressed with Fellaini. I'd be up for bringing in someone younger, but given we're already bringing in Zaha I was looking for someone more immediate (though I did also cite two younger options which everyone has overlooked :D).

I've not really payed much attention to Lennon this season but has he learnt to cross the ball yet? We've already got Valencia for beating a man then delivering an awful ball.

This thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/309168-The-2012-2013-Manchester-United-Thread-B%C3%BCttman-and-Robin

Yeah, I get that. Arrived at Lennon via a process of elimination when considering our squad and who's out there and could conceivably be available. Think it's very harsh to tar him with Young's brush mind! Thing is the squad looks pretty rosy in most areas bar the wings and defensive mid, which would be addressed with Fellaini. I'd be up for bringing in someone younger, but given we're already bringing in Zaha I was looking for someone more immediate (though I did also cite two younger options which everyone has overlooked :D).

Was going to say at the end that Rodriguez would be (to quote someone here who always says it, maybe Ice) "dreamy" but decided to add a bit more to it and then forgot.

I've not really payed much attention to Lennon this season but has he learnt to cross the ball yet? We've already got Valencia for beating a man then delivering an awful ball.

I've been a very harsh critic of Lennon at times, but under AVB he has been fantastic for us- I've been really pleased with him this season. Displays much more intelligence on the pitch and his delivery is much improved, would be an upgrade on Valencia for sure (who wouldn't at the moment tbh!). But yeah, hands off!!!

That article has to be intentionally inflammatory?

The best line in it is "the best team often loses". What? :D The best team always wins the league, there can be little argument with that save extremely mitigating circumstances.

I think Fellaini is DEFINITELY NOT the solution to our midfield. He had been found wanting in a true CM role and is much better higher up the field where we are already bursting at the seams.

I remove my hat from the support for signing the Belgian and would rather we spent any cash on a really good CM to provide competition for Carrick.

Young is not being sold and unfortunately neither is Tony V except we get a QPR (Ji-Sung) situation. The irony is that the one we want to keep might go and we are nailed on not to sign a replacement (Zaha is already in the house ;))

Fellaini isn't?

Fellaini's main position is DM, according to him anyway, and I think he is the solution, one thing we are lacking is hight, he can bring that.

Oh yes, I'd love Fellaini as a dm. Who doesn't like the opposition having three dozen free kicks in dangerous areas every game?

Have you watched the guy play recently? Leppard Assemble!!!

What's the point of having our very own "Toffee" if he can't give us top insight into how our potential feeder squad is doing.

Fellaini is a menace offensively and is great with his height but he does not seem to have the desire or tactical discipline to just sit and shield a back 4. I might have been too critical when I watched him or it might be a point.

Oh yes, I'd love Fellaini as a dm. Who doesn't like the opposition having three dozen free kicks in dangerous areas every game?

Hahaha the Iceman cometh and hits the nail on the head. We might as well get Tiote too while we are at it.

Oh Christ... Should get both tbf, at least then we'll have one available while the other one serves a ban

Fellaini is a very good defensive midfielder. What are you guys smoking? :D

Bugger off Woy, if Rio picks up a knock I will hunt you down and leave us searching for another England manager due to an "accident"

Still the best English central defender so about time he got called up, but I've preferred him out of the team so he can focus on United and not risk getting injured. Good for him though, and good news for England. Pretty absurd to have Smalling play for England but not Ferdinand, while Rio keeps Smalling out of United's team.

You should've signed Dembele.

Javi Martinez is the one we should have signed. Damn you Bayern! :(

Totally agree about Fellaini. Just not good enough for us in the role we need, excellent in a role we don't.

As I remember saying in the summer Dembele was the one we needed. I think we might have ran out of funds by the time he came available.

You're still in the running for the 3rd leg of that triple crown though :brock:

Wonder if Fergie has a runner in the St. Ledgers?

I remove my hat from the support for signing the Belgian and would rather we spent any cash on a really good CM to provide competition for Carrick.

Who is there though? We really (still) need a more defensive minded midfielder but who is out there in the 'really good' bracket. Most Everton and Belgium fans (that I've spoken to/seen post) consider Fellaini to be a DM who's fulfilling a function for Everton at present. We're pretty well set for the more creative or attacking midfielders both in the first team and coming through the reserves.

Young is not being sold and unfortunately neither is Tony V except we get a QPR (Ji-Sung) situation. The irony is that the one we want to keep might go and we are nailed on not to sign a replacement (Zaha is already in the house ;))

Yeah, all too aware of this :( More quotes attributed to Nani today talking about him wanting the end the season well now he's over his injury and prove he's worthy of the regular football he's looking for to sign a new deal; so fingers crossed there's still some hope he'll stay.

Who is there though? We really (still) need a more defensive minded midfielder but who is out there in the 'really good' bracket. Most Everton and Belgium fans (that I've spoken to/seen post) consider Fellaini to be a DM who's fulfilling a function for Everton at present.

He is considered a DM but he is below United quality at DM and is actually a significantly better player when he is higher up the field. A bit like Yaya Toure, his physique and aggressive style immediately saw him labelled as a DM but he is best suited to a more offensive role.

How many times have you heard someone rave about Fellaini breaking up attacks and shielding his defence? Now compare that with how many times you have heard someone say he is dominating a team aerially and causing their defensive players no end of trouble!

P.S - Nani has pulled out of the Portuguese squad...hopefully just a precaution

They really need to get rid of that United v Everton advert. Pisses me off every time.

The thing about that advert is that cashing out is the massively wrong thing to do. The fact Everton equalised was something like a 0.1% chance given the history of United & two goal leads.

what ****s me off most is that he is supposedly more arsed about winning £20 or whatever than united winning the title

The thing about that advert is that cashing out is the massively wrong thing to do. The fact Everton equalised was something like a 0.1% chance given the history of United & two goal leads.

Except it was the right thing to do, because they equalised.

How many times have you heard someone rave about Fellaini breaking up attacks and shielding his defence? Now compare that with how many times you have heard someone say he is dominating a team aerially and causing their defensive players no end of trouble!

Fewer times... since he doesn't play there as often. Like I say, performing a function. A bit like saying in 2010 that Rooney is better as a centre forward, or saying now that Phil Jones isn't a defender.