Sports Interactive Community
ddidiodion

The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

Uefa say they've opened an investigation into Alex Ferguson for not fulfilling media requirements after yesterday's defeat to Real

UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body will deal with Ferguson case on Thursday 21 March.

Who knew, the UEFA are a sack of fannies. They're probably just disappointed he didn't show and say something they could punish him harder for. "DAMN that man!! Okay, chaps, what are our other options?" Platini:" Well, there is this line somewhere about meeting the press, can we push on that per chance?"

There, you can now read the second half of the article :)

Although I'd highly recommend nto doing so. Half of it is poorly written, the other half seems plagiarised word for word from other places

Stopped reading once you mentioned 'who follows Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo on Twitter', failed to mention he follows United news and Rooney/Rio on twitter too. Maybe he didn't book Rio for sarcastic applause because he likes his tweets.

No he didn't, not that it's relevant to his decision making but you get away with talking far too much **** on here.

I did laugh at him following the Spanish tourism board though... at least he'll get top treatment if he ever visits Madrid.

A football fan was so disgusted with the referee's decision to send off Nani in Tuesday's Champions League clash with Real Madrid he called 999.

The 18-year-old Manchester United supporter was watching at home in a village near Bingham, Nottinghamshire.

He felt the red card shown to the United winger was a crime so called police.

He later apologised for the call, saying he was caught up in the moment. Police will not take any action.

'Waste our time'

The fan, who has not been named, called police at about 21:20 GMT during United's second leg clash against the Spanish giants.

He was incensed by the referee's decision to show Nani the red card for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa.

Ch Insp Ted Antill said: "While this recent example may be amusing, it illustrates the sort of insincere calls we have to deal with on a daily basis in the control room.

"They waste our time and they direct us away from genuine victims of crime, particularly if we dispatch officers out to something that turns out to be a bogus report."

He warned that prank 999 calls were a crime and said people had been prosecuted in the past.

"It's no joke. In this case, the man realised his bad judgement and apologised and we decided not to pursue it further," he added.

Nottinghamshire Police said it received 6,933 recorded hoax calls in 2012, which is about 2% of all reported incidents.

Had Tuesday's 999 caller followed Sir Alex Ferguson's example, he would have avoided a police telling off - the Manchester United manager was said afterwards to be "too distraught" to speak about the match.

The game turned after the dismissal of Portuguese winger Nani - whose real name is Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha - with Real Madrid scoring two quick goals to win the match 2-1, knocking United out of the competition 3-2 on aggregate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-21687292

:D :D :D :D

Nani isn't a hero in all of this, however it's important that the fact he played well until he was shafted by the ref is recognised and he gets full support from everyone, especially given how little he's played this year.

Really hope this can be the catalyst for a strong end to the season and a new deal for him. Starting and performing in such a key match and then getting shafted should hopefully spur him on.

Been thinking today how impressive it is that we put in such a strong performance with a team that was missing what many consider to be a key performer in Jones, and with a number of players who could feel hard done by (Evans, Kagawa, Rooney, etc.) left out. Not bad for the worst United squad since records began.

Don't know, but his last post (post history) is a highly pertinent question. Maybe somebody took offence...? :D

I just don't understand why UEFA feel the need to have referees from each of the countries represented in the competition. They should pick the best and if that means some countries aren't represented then so be it.

The FIFA listed referee's are in categories, only the elite category can referee Champions League games

The FIFA listed referee's are in categories, only the elite category can referee Champions League games

'Elite'. Ha. Haven't heard a bigger joke.

With Barca looking like going out, could have been a great season for us... :(

Will be almost forgotten and we'll be very happy if we win the league back come May :thup:

the more i think about the red card the more angry i get about it :D i mean, whats the difference between a "high boot" to the face that normally the person committing the foul gets a yellow card at the very worst and what Nani did? i already know the answer btw...

Hoping that the result hasnt derailed anyone's confidence in the squad though. it shouldn't, but who knows.

oh and i imagine that we will get a hefty fine from UEFA for fergie not being at the post match conference and all of the other bits of anger shown, a fine MUCH bigger then any club that has fans guilty of racist chanting and the like.

Not only did SAF not show up, we didn't have the required 2 players doing flash interviews, apparently :D

£10million fine coming up.. ;)

I like how Jose conducted his interviews after the match, very complimentary to SAF and the team.

cant help but thinking he is just trying to get a foot in the door though :D

For a man not in a fit state to do the interview he didn't half come up quickly with the response that would most annoy UEFA. I hope he continues to blank them just like he did the BBC.

On the positive side, if he gets called in for "questioning" he can lay it into them like there was no tomorrow without the public viewing it. I'm sure he won't let that chance pass.

I doubt the people who he'll be talking to have any real influence at UEFA other than with this particular thing.

The more I see the replay I'm really not sure it's a foul let alone a yellow card. Nani is facing toward the touchline, eyes on the ball all the way & he jumps with leg bent to catch the ball. Arbeloa comes charging in and takes man & ball together which is why Nani falls and his leg straightens to try & balance. It's just a coming together. I could understand it was a coming together with both players running at each other but it's clearly not the case. All of this 'high foot' stuff is doing my head in too. Both players are off the ground and Arbeloa is caught just above the hip. I say he was caught but he ran into Nani in reality.

I did enjoy Bryan Robson having a dig at Keane though.

Guaranteed UEFA up the ban to two games in this investigation.

Liking the sound of these Ronaldo in and Rooney out rumours. Happen please. I think this is a story Red Issue have been on top of for ages now, not that it means anything of course.

perhaps UEFA should look at stopping such rediculous events in the first place and get referees who know what they are doing.

I agree Coldberg. It's simply a coming together with two players trying to get the ball. It shows, yet again, a referee with zero understanding of the game. Has probably never kicked a ball in his life. At most it's a yellow card, but even that would be harsh. Red, and thereby deeming this violent conduct of some kind, is preposterous. It's madness from whichever angle people look at it, and I'm glad that for once the football world is united in this being a ******** decision. I was worried when I saw who the ref was, because he has a tendency to be trigger happy with the cards, including the red kind - and he proved it once again.

We beat Real Madrid 1-0

... but lost 2-0 to Turkey.

Red Issue have been on about Rooney going for ages. Think it's basically a case of him only wanting to leave I it's to Barca but they aren't interested.

Obviously Ronaldo coming back is massively unlikely even with the Chevrolet & Nike (they want him back at one of 'their' clubs, Madrid are Adidas) rumours. If Madrid somehow win the CL I could see him leaving but it's nothing more than a pipe dream when you stand back and look at it objectively.

Lewandowski would be the most likely replacement for Rooney should he leave. Although there's also rumours about Hernandez not being happy at his lack of minutes in the run up to the world cup.

Guaranteed UEFA up the ban to two games in this investigation.

UEFA has already doubled down to show support for their referee. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

if they extend the ban on Nani then they are deluded as well.

speaking of refs, Howard Webb on saturday, so no dodgey red cards.......... ror us ;)

Fergie is just pulled up on not showing up for post-match interview, right?

I mean, fair enough. Can't pull that BBC stuff on UEFA and usually he toes the line. Shows how raging he must have been.

I don't think Phelan did him any favours saying he was 'distraught', should have said 'annoyed' or 'fuming' but distraught makes him sound like he's rocking back and forth and sobbing

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/unfit-wayne-rooney-is-fighting-to-save-his-manchester-united-career-8523577.html

Article in the Independent about Rooney's fitness being the cause of him being dropped. Now we all know Rooney's not the fittest and his top flight career will probably be over by 31 or 32 (so, soon) as he doesn't have the build to play on and on at the very top.

Obviously, there aren't really any quotes. This is Ian Herbert, heard his name. Not sure if he wrote stuff before. Sounds like it could be 2+2=5

This is a current annoyance of mine, journalists that talk so matter-of-factly about happenings at clubs and it then transpires they were so utterly utterly wrong. Are they being fed rubbish info from 'insiders' i.e. the kit man who doesn't actually really know anything or do they openly make stuff up? I can't believe they'd make it, surely they take info and let their mind run away with it. I love the part about 'yeah, he'd take 20m for him' or he's left out is the word 'reckon' and it could be a bloke in the pub "yeah, I reckon he'd take 20m for him now"

Tevez would DEFINITELY not be at City, Torres would DEFINITELY be gone and so on and on and oops, they're still there. These journos talk as though they actually know what is happening and they're just **** :D

So, rant over but it looks like that but as Rooney's chunky it's believeable :brock:

Lewandowski would be the most likely replacement for Rooney should he leave. Although there's also rumours about Hernandez not being happy at his lack of minutes in the run up to the world cup.

Yeah, Rooney OUT Lewandowski IN is something I've seen a lot... no ta.

All these 'ROONEY OUT!' rumors are based on the fact that he didn't start against Real, yeah?

All these 'ROONEY OUT!' rumors are based on the fact that he didn't start against Real, yeah?

The Times have been saying for over a month he's off to Spain in the summer I think.

It really wouldn't surprise me if it was true. His inability to keep his fitness levels up, his form dips, the signings which have been brought in also point in that direction.

if we are selling him have to seriously be looking at getting ronaldo or bale in. can't be turning into arsenal now where we just offload our best players.

Wont be bothered if Rooney leaves. He is an overrated player for club and county. Cannot see him going any of the big clubs, Madrid, Barca, PSG, AC, Juv, He will be even more less then average player there.

Could see PSG going for him as he is a big name.

Sell Rooney and bring in Bale and Wilshere. We would be unstoppable.

Don't even need a replacement for him, Kagawa is waiting.

The amount of times we have to discuss the quality of Rooney through a season now says it all really. He isn't worth the occasional bit of magic.

I just wonder if Welbecks performances and Kagawa's last performance have sped up Fergies plan.

bring in Bale.... We would be unstoppable.

While I love that in theory, I think in reality it would mean winning a bidding war against Barca/Real Madrid/Man C and with the fact that the selling club would much, much prefer he went abroad rather than went to another PL team.

You guys seriously would be fine with selling Rooney and playing Kagawa instead? The same Kagawa who has had only one really good game for United? Really?

You guys seriously would be fine with selling Rooney and playing Kagawa instead? The same Kagawa who has had only one really good game for United? Really?

Yes and no. Clears it right up, eh?

How many good games has Rooney had this season? Ones where he has had a big impact?

Of course he should be replaced. If thats a young player with potential to grow I don't mind though.

24 - @WayneRooney has scored (12) or assisted (12) 24 goals in his 26 PL & CL appearances this season for Man Utd.

If the money was right I would sell Rooney in a flash but not if Kagawa is his long term replacement. As a striker we wont miss him as we have a seasoned veteran in RVP, a consistent asset in Chicha and Welbeck plus a couple of up and coming players.

In the deep lying role, I would hope Powell grows into that role or we sign someone as Kagawa is not going to ever be the 1st choice man to play there.

Why not drop Rooney deeper, in between Carrick and the AM for example, and have him playing the box to box role? Works very well on FM for me :)

Selling Rooney seems pointless. Yeah his wages are too high, but you'd be taking a real wildcard out of the club. He's the only player UTD have, in my opinion, who can drag the team through a match. I don't see that mentality in Nani, Young, Kagawa, Carrick, Cleverley etc. But perhaps you'll disagree.

Why not drop Rooney deeper, in between Carrick and the AM for example, and have him playing the box to box role? Works very well on FM for me :)

Selling Rooney seems pointless. Yeah his wages are too high, but you'd be taking a real wildcard out of the club. He's the only player UTD have, in my opinion, who can drag the team through a match. I don't see that mentality in Nani, Young, Kagawa, Carrick, Cleverley etc. But perhaps you'll disagree.

rvp .

Er yeah but you need someone to effect the game in this way in all thirds of the pitch. Rooney can do everything that a great box to box mid can.

rvp .

Scoring goals when the team is creating lots of decent chances is not EXACTLY dragging the team through a match. RVP just like RVN scored goals for fun and we are a level better when they are on form, but they do not drag the team through games like Rooney has done on occasions.

We have looked absolutely dire in previous seasons but Rooney running around, dropping deep and trying all sorts of moves resulted in us getting a result. He is not great at it but Bobby Spud is right, he is the best in our current squad at doing it.