The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are also filing it using last years financial accounts so they don't have to show the impact the loss of Champions league revenue had on the books.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/10/manchester-united-accounts-share-offer

They will need to apply for special dispensation to do that. :(

If agreed the club is better off highlighting the unaudited 9 month performance (going up to March 2012). The club might actually show more revenue for that period YOY and it looks good for the filing.

From the BBC website:

Sir Alex Ferguson has says Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher is yet to attempt a comeback from his chronic bowel complaint. He said: "He has not started training with us. He has obviously got great challenges ahead. We are happy to be patient but he won't be starting the season. It is unfortunate because he is such a magnificent professional and such a nice lad. If it doesn't work for him, he knows he has a position at the club anyway."

Not surprising but still sad news :(

I think the club needs to start treating the situation as if he has retired and then be pleasantly surprised if he can make a comeback. We can't afford to rely on a maybe when it comes to Fletcher's position.

He's not coming back. If, by some miraculous turn of events, he does return it won't be as the Darren Fletcher we've known in the past.

Which makes it even more of an imperative that the club signs at least one central midfielder.

So apparently Anzhi, an unnamed German team and one other London based Prem team had bids in for Park. Trying to think who the other Prem team would be?

Also, we didn't want to sell him at all apparently, but decided to let him leave because he wants more games and it was Park who asked for the deal to go ahead for that reason only, which is fair enough.

And, http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/sir-alex-ferguson-shinji-kagawa-nick-powell-press-conference-at-old-trafford.aspx this looks like good news in that the club are pressing forward with new signings, I've got a few Palace supporting mates in London who seem to think Clyne is heading here so that may be one of them.

If we signed a LB, ANY CM / DM and offloaded 1 striker (Loan or permanent) i would be happy.

I would also take that Clyne fellow too, rotation for Rafael at RB while we use Smalling & Evans as CB cover to Rio-Vida. Jones can be used wherever we want as he would only wander off somewhere else. :D

If we signed a LB, ANY CM / DM and offloaded 1 striker (Loan or permanent) i would be happy.

I would also take that Clyne fellow too, rotation for Rafael at RB while we use Smalling & Evans as CB cover to Rio-Vida. Jones can be used wherever we want as he would only wander off somewhere else. :D

Just set up a 4-4-1 or a 4-3-2 and then tell Jones he's playing too :thup:

"There were [other clubs interested] but I have to say Sir Alex wanted Nick more than anybody else did and worked harder at it. I was very impressed with the way Sir Alex went about it and what he said. If he was trying to sign me, I'd have signed!

"What Sir Alex has done is challenge the boy to do what Ronaldo did. Young players worry about their chances of playing when they go to United. But Sir Alex told Nick, 'If you do well enough, you'll get a chance. Ronaldo went on as sub (on his debut against Bolton) and was outstanding so I picked him.' Nick has got to be good enough, first of all, in training to be named as a sub but that's the challenge Sir Alex has given him."

Love small snippets like that into how SAF works and manages to convince people to sign. He seems to have an almost magical tongue. Couldn't help but laugh at Dario Gradi's comment :lol:

Sad news about Fletcher, but not very surprising. I don't think he is coming back :( Not as the player he was in any case.

You do not send a scout to complete a deal for a £30m player.

The mirror said he went and thrashed the deal last week.....http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/What-The-Papers-Say/2012/Jul/papers-manchester-united-linked-with-move-for-lucas-moura.aspx

I am now certain that Craig is on a wind up, well played sir. :applause:

You do not send a scout to complete a deal for a £30m player.

You also don't buy plane tickets for a contingent to fly to Sao Paulo for a player who's going to be in Middlesbrough next week when you don't have a pot to **** in.

Sao Paolo president confirms Man United and Real Madrid have tabled bids for Lucas Moura:

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/144/south-america/2012/07/13/3239539/manchester-united-and-real-madrid-have-tabled-bids-for-lucas

Ignoring the Goal.com link, Real Madriv versus Man Utd for a young Brazilian regardless of money is a one-horse race that ends with "Hala Madrid".

How many clubs sign players for the release clause? Not many.

They would take £30-35m for him im sure.

Where would we get that?

Hold on.....it makes sense now. You are actually a Billionaire who wants to donate Lucas Moura to our squad in exchange for Ryan Giggs Yoga classes.

Where would we get that?

Hold on.....it makes sense now. You are actually a Billionaire who wants to donate Lucas Moura to our squad in exchange for Ryan Giggs Yoga classes.

The same money that was going to Hazard...

If we're going to spend £30m on a player Lucas Moura seems sensible actually... a really raw player in a position we don't need that wont actually be a guaranteed starter when we are woefully ill-equipped in more important areas of the pitch.

The same money that was going to Hazard...

Okay i will play along....we actually had about c£25m in the bank before buying Kagawa and we need to make our yearly payments which are around the £40m mark and we made less money than last year. The Glazers are also so broke, they actually "borrow" money from the club for day to day spends (so no hidden pot of Glazer money)

I... can't... I just... It's just...

I did it, i countered his debatable assumptions with some debatable ones of my own.

If we're going to spend £30m on a player Lucas Moura seems sensible actually... a really raw player in a position we don't need that wont actually be a guaranteed starter when we are woefully ill-equipped in more important areas of the pitch.

Spot on!

What's so funny about the €80m release clause? I doubt anyone's saying that's what anyone will pay for him?

Yes, that's what I find funny. The way the Sao Paulo dude says it just makes me laugh. No-one will pay 80m for him.

Okay i will play along....we actually had about c£25m in the bank before buying Kagawa and we need to make our yearly payments which are around the £40m mark and we made less money than last year. The Glazers are also so broke, they actually "borrow" money from the club for day to day spends (so no hidden pot of Glazer money)

So, no Baines?

Because even when we had Fabio we were still using Evra for every game going.

True but we have no cover now for Evra.

SAF did say yesterday that we will sign one more player (Baines) possibly two (Moura)

If we buy a player and it isn't a central midfielder I will hurt you Craig.

No you will try and then fail.

What kind of comment is that anyway?

This may come as a shock to this thread but im not contrary to popular belief invloved in the united transfers. :eek:

Left back has to be priority. If Evra gets injured that leaves Blackett or Evans, I would like to rest Evra anyway. We have at least got Petrucci, Brady, Tunnicliffe, Cole etc who if pushed could provide emergency midfield relief, not ideal but better cover than left back.

This may come as a shock to this thread but im not contrary to popular belief invloved in the united transfers. :eek:

Oh no, I think that is one of the least shocking things that will ever be said in this thread.

Left back has to be priority. If Evra gets injured that leaves Blackett or Evans, I would like to rest Evra anyway. We have at least got Petrucci, Brady, Tunnicliffe, Cole etc who if pushed could provide emergency midfield relief, not ideal but better cover than left back.

Plus the young Crewe boy probably also being in the squad too as SAF wants to turn him into a CM.

True but we have no cover now for Evra.

SAF did say yesterday that we will sign one more player (Baines) possibly two (Moura)

We did not have last season or the season before. SAF played Giggs, Evans & Fryers there rather than Fabio when the occassion called for it. :(

He is not losing sleep over the loan although i think a LB is a priority (....funny i was screaming this 3 seasons ago and we still have not sorted it.)

Archived