The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

He was a freak of nature really. Going full pelt at defenders with the ball glued to his feet. Still remember the first time I saw him, it must have been 1991. I wasn't much into football back then, but a United game was on while we were in a hotel lobby, and he was just tearing up the left side at jawdropping speed. It's strange how small moments like that stay with you 20-odd years later. Looking back, this may well have been the seed that got me properly interested in football and Manchester United.

It's nothing short of astonishing he is still playing at the top, top level over two decades later.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was a freak of nature really. Going full pelt at defenders with the ball glued to his feet. Still remember the first time I saw him, it must have been 1991. I wasn't much into football back then, but a United game was on while we were in a hotel lobby, and he was just tearing up the left side at jawdropping speed. It's strange how small moments like that stay with you 20-odd years later. Looking back, this may well have been the seed that got me properly interested in football and Manchester United.

It's nothing short of astonishing he is still playing at the top, top level over two decades later.

Especially because as he got into his 20s he was constantly pulling hamstrings - felt he never quite achieved his full potential because of his many niggles. Could have been top 5 in the world definately.

It was terribly frustrating to see him hobble off seemingly every other game, but he managed to get over it in the end, and even while he had those problems he was a menace to face for defenders. Don't think I've ever seen a player run that fast with the ball at his feet. He's not the kick and run type either; the ball seemed to be glued to his feet despite him running at full pelt. He still has that ability now, although his speed is obviously much slower, but he can still turn it on and leave defenders in his shadow.

Don't think we will ever see his like at the top end of football, especially playing for one club for 20-odd years at that level. Rooney is probably the best bet as he was on the top of his game so early, but he obviously didn't start with us, and I doubt he can play nearly as long as Giggs has. Doesn't take care of his body well enough for that. Not sure how many matches they got, but guys like Raúl and Del Piero have obviously also been massive club legends.

The only shame is that he never got to represent his country in a major international tournament (I'm going to ignore the Olympics with UK). Apart from that. he has done it all, many times over.

and of course not forgetting my favourite ever goal (not including a certain Champions League final) and best ever celebration in my favourite ever match (also not including a certain Champions League final)! and done in my favourite ever season against my least favourite opponents at the time... what a run!

It truly was. I have it right up there with Maradona's as one of the very best goals in the history of football. And what a ****ing occasion to do it in!!!

There are a handful of occasions following football the last 20-ish years where I have genuinely run around screaming like a totally bonkers person, and that was one of them.

Giggs :cool:

Kids beat Bolton 3-2 after a late Wilson goal. It's good they learn this trick early ;)

Good win, took a while to get going but got there in the end. Great goals from Barmby and Weir too. Between Barmby, Pearson and Weir for man of the match in my opinion. I really do like Wilson though, had nothing but scraps for the whole game but got one chance and he buried it. Doesn't seem to go out of the game when he's up front on his own like Hernandez does sometimes either. Held the ball up well, ran the channels and linked well with the midfielders.

I would not trust that lot, they are simply summoning up a mother-load of anti-jinx on the game. :D

Vidic or Evans v Suarez?? Either is just us begging for a red card and penalty, Liverpool don't knock it in the air much but we would still have corners to deal with. Tough choice!

I would not trust that lot, they are simply summoning up a mother-load of anti-jinx on the game. :D

Vidic or Evans v Suarez?? Either is just us begging for a red card and penalty, Liverpool don't knock it in the air much but we would still have corners to deal with. Tough choice!

They'll still moan when we beat them though!

Depends if they dare going that offensive. We have more than enough to see off this team, but they are game-raising as this is their CL final. Exepct a close game, but anything can happen. Hell, Stoke v Chelsea was actually a tight affair yesterday (until the end), yet Chelsea won 4-0. Anything can happen. We ran rings around them when Berba scored his hattrick, yet we only won 3-2. Football is a weird sport at times.

They have no choice but to attack especially as everyone thinks our defence is "weak". I really hope they come at us and realise too late that our defence only seems extra porous when we have a crap midfield in front of it.

With a good midfield and a strong attack (please leave Chicha on the bench) we should win.

If Nani plays I'd want Chicha starting. Get anything across their 6 yard box today and I'd want him in there. Be interesting to see the line up, so many possible starting variations now players are starting to come back.

Expect Kagawa to play considering Rooney will be back next week.

If Nani plays I'd want Chicha starting. Get anything across their 6 yard box today and I'd want him in there. Be interesting to see the line up, so many possible starting variations now players are starting to come back.

Expect Kagawa to play considering Rooney will be back next week.

Kagawa, RVP plus Chicha in the same line-up is going back to the "top heavy + midfield light" system that was not working.

If we play with wingers then we will have a proper midfield 2 of Carrick and Cleverley with Young on the left and Nani/Valencia on the right. We would have Kagawa playing behind RVP who will be the furthest forward with Chicha off the bench and a guaranteed 3 points.

Missed the game but was refreshing the beeb on my phone furiously on the way home, nervous as hell so pretty damn happy we held on. Was kind of hoping Arsenal would get something from City but they are playing Walcott on his own up front. Back down to 7 points after that match, then

The hope for Arsenal getting a great result today ended after about 7 minutes. A shame really. Hoped we would increase the gap today. Still, 7 points is a good gap at this stage of the season, and if we can keep up the pressure City will find it tough to catch us.

I know it was a tight scoreline but that's the worst Liverpool side I have ever seen turn up at OT & that includes the side we absolutely battered 3-2. They are reliant on Suarez for all the movement. Other than that they just pass it around without threatening. Think they had two shots on target, the goal & the preceding shot which BSD parried into his path.

We completely stopped playing at 2-0. Jones came on and did nothing, not sure he even touched the ball.

Archived