Sports Interactive Community
ddidiodion

The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

I know this sounds awful, but I'm happy Lindegaard has picked up a knock as it'll give Big Save Dave time to go and cement his position. Give him a consistent run in the side and we all know how good he can and will be.

He needs to make up his mind. Either he comes for crosses or he isn't confident enough and then trusts the defence. Doing half-and-half isn't doing anyone any good.

Nobody is going to allow him to not come for crosses at any point, just won't happen. You can't be a top keeper that can't come for a cross. If he keeps trying he will get there soon enough.

I think he's aware he's not so hot on the crosses so makes the decision to come for every bloody cross even if it's not a good decision. It's affecting his decision making, maybe he doesn't want to stay back even when it's a good idea to stay back because he's aware of this issue with crosses .. like proving it or making a statement to deal with them every time regardless

Of course he's aware of it. The coaching staff will have been working on it with him since he joined. And yeah, that's bound to mess with his decision making a bit.

Nothing major like that is every a quick-fix, it's about the long term.

Not having the fear of being 'rotated' after every (overly scrutinised) error will hopefully help.

I asked this question over in the Managerial Sack Race thread but I wanted some United views as well:

How much do you think is pure media momentum with Solskjaer? If it wasn't OGS, United legend and former player, would a first-time manager at Molde in his second season be getting this much attention?

It's all about him being Solskjaer. Plain and simple. If it was Warren Joyce (or any of our prior reserve team managers) there's no way in hell they be linked with these jobs just for what he's done with Molde

Do any of you guys see OGS being Man Utd manager in say 5+ years once he has more managerial experience?

I don't know about tactically but I think he has the personality and managerial style to do a good job.

Do any of you guys see OGS being Man Utd manager in say 5+ years once he has more managerial experience?

I would almost put my life savings on him managing at OT one day. Well, I could just put my life savings on it as I have none at the moment :D

Dunno if it's *just* because he's Solskjaer. I think if any notable player who'd been tipped for big things as a manager went and won the league for the first time with his old club in his first season in management then there'd be speculation. If Larsson had won the Allsvenskan win Landskrona, for example, I'd imagine he'd be tipped for the odd Championship job too.

Odd Championship job maybe, but Aston Villa and QPR? Highly doubt it.

Bolton would be great for Ole tbf, very close by, easy to get players loaned with them not having to move, win-win situation imo

I'd like to see him given a chance but not at the expense of risking his relationship with Molde just in case his first PL job doesn't go that well. I think the English attitude towards managers is far too detrimental for up-and-comers if they make mistakes.

i think qpr would be a great challenge for him. plenty of egos to manage and would be under fairly intense pressure from the board to deliver results. both factors would also be true at united, so a good opportunity to see how he can handle them.

Seems like we sent a couple of Academy XI's down for games against Derby U18's and Loughborough Uni at Loughborough today.

Won 6-2 against Lough. Uni with what seems to be the stronger of the two teams (Daehli etc)

Lost 4-2 to Derby with the newer Academy players (Goss, Mitchell - who apparently scored a lovely goal again - etc..)

Solskjær has done well in Molde. It's a small club, but thanks to "rich uncles" they are able to compete for transfers with the traditionally big Norwegian clubs. Crowds are nowhere near the same though. But I don't think he'd be so heavily linked to English jobs if he hadn't had a fantastic career there. He has a name. I like what he's doing though, and it's clear he has taken more than a few lessons from SAF's management school. It's way, way too early to take on a massive club like United, but well down the line, maybe it can happen. Depends on getting a more high-profile job than Molde of course, and doing well there, but the former will certainly happen. Just hope it won't happen now.

Jan Aage Fjortoft said on Talk***** earlier there's no chance OGS will go to Bolton (or Blackburn for that matter).

I've read rumours today linking most of your backroom staff to the manager's position :D

Would love Phelan to take the Bolton job.

Hate Int weeks.

I want him to stay (unless we can get back Quieroz, and he stays this time).

Hate int. weeks as well. So boring. Hopefully it will be a good one for us though, with no new injuries and Smalling and Young back fit for the next match :thup:

I see Tunnicliffe has been abit of a moron, and was court drink driving.

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe has been charged with drink-driving after a car collided with a van in Greater Manchester.

Mr Tunnicliffe, 19, of Clemshaw Close, Heywood, near Rochdale, was arrested after the crash on Saturday afternoon.

Police said a Range Rover collided with a van in Green Lane, Heywood. The van then collided with the wall of a house.

Mr Tunnicliffe was charged with driving with excess alcohol, Greater Manchester Police said.

He is due to appear at Bury Magistrates Court on 25 October.

Officers said the front seat passenger of the Range Rover suffered a minor whiplash injury in the collision and both vehicles were badly damaged.

The midfielder made his Manchester United debut against Newcastle United in the Capital One Cup last month. He was on loan to Peterborough United last season.

fool

£33 million for a 30 year old who's been injured for a year? Would take it in an instant, despite him being one of my favourite ever United players. Use that to buy someone like Mats Hummels.

£33 million for a 30 year old who's been injured for a year? Would take it in an instant, despite him being one of my favourite ever United players. Use that to buy someone like Mats Hummels.

Why? We'd still have four other first team centrebacks at the club.

Plus, it's irrelevant as it'll be utter nonsense.

if it happened, we'd need to buy a centreback in the next 1-2 seasons with rio's career coming to an end

Not sure tbh. Evans and Smalling would be a great long term partnership and then you have Jones who yet could be great or just decent. To add to that Michael Keane is progressing really well through the ranks and will probably make a good squad centre back in the future.

Why? We'd still have four other first team centrebacks at the club.

Plus, it's irrelevant as it'll be utter nonsense.

Injuries :brock:

you'd be insane to turn that down with no guarantee of vidic getting back to his past form.

Ankhi would be insane to offer it!

We need 5 centerbacks, it's madness to go in with any less, £33m for Vidic would be impossible to turn down but I'm not sure Hummels would be the answer (as good as he is).

Hahahaha 33 million :D I wouldn't even wait to hear the currency before accepting that, then just hope for the best!

33 million lire (if they were still around).

"Vidic leaves Manchester United for £5" :lol:

(It's slightly more, but not much)

Naturally I want him to stay, and with Rio at the end of the road, we need an experienced head back there. Without those two, Evans will be the most experienced, which is good but not great.

In other news, international breaks continue to blow :(

Are the 165 touches and 145 passes stats for Cleverley for England true? I know he likes to move the ball about quickly but that's 1.13 touches a pass which seems incredibly low.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stefanszymanski/2012/08/02/manchester-united-where-would-be-without-the-glazers/

A couple of months old but really bizarre conclusion about the Glazer ownership on United. Here's the last part:

Imagine this sum had been spent on players. Maybe United could have won all seven Premier League titles, and won three of four Champions League titles. The point is, would this level of dominance be good for football? The EPL has clearly become more interesting because new clubs have challenged the dominance of United, Arsenal and Liverpool. First Chelsea, now City, with Tottenham becoming more effective as well. Would any of that have been possible against a cash-bloated United?

And even if United fans don’t care about the rest of the EPL, surely their own interest in the League is made more interesting by having credible rivals?

Are the 165 touches and 145 passes stats for Cleverley for England true? I know he likes to move the ball about quickly but that's 1.13 touches a pass which seems incredibly low.

It's what WhoScored have. Other stats include 2* assists; 7* key passes; 3* tackles; 97% pass completion; 6 crosses; of which 50%* were accurate; 8 long balls; of which 7 were accurate; and 1 dribble, which is unimpressive in isolation but does lower that touch per pass average that bit more. Asterisked stats are those where he outscored anyone else on the team. Would have had the pass completion too, but for Hart and Walcott's 100%s (from 8 and 1 pass respectively).

It's what WhoScored have. Other stats include 2* assists; 7* key passes; 3* tackles; 97% pass completion; 6 crosses; of which 50%* were accurate; 8 long balls; of which 7 were accurate; and 1 dribble, which is unimpressive in isolation but does lower that touch per pass average that bit more. Asterisked stats are those where he outscored anyone else on the team. Would have had the pass completion too, but for Hart and Walcott's 100%s (from 8 and 1 pass respectively).

I know it was San Marino, but those are impressive stats. Watch him get dropped for Stevie Me against Poland ;)

I know it was San Marino, but those are impressive stats. Watch him get dropped for Stevie Me against Poland ;)

Yeah, that's why I wanted to highlight the areas where he was superior to everyone else. May be 'only' San Marino, but still better than anyone else against the same opponents.

I know it's only San Marino but apparently it's some kind of England record

Personally thought Cleverley was Englands best player the other night, will be very disappointed if he's dropped for tonight.