The Rise of the Cerud

cerud

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with Benfica! How have they done in recent years?

Benfica last won the league in 2012 and have finished in either 2nd of 3rd place since then. They won the Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup in 2013 as well.

Have fun there.
Enjoy Portugal Cerud.
Good luck with Benfica :thup:
Very nice move :)

Thanks all! I've never managed in Portugal before, but Benfica should be a fun club to do it with.

Thanks, Mikal. The top 3 automatically qualify. The 4th place finisher goes into the Hex, a playoff between the CONCACAF 4th place finisher and lower finishers from Oceania, Asia, and South America. There's a quick 4 nation playoff and the winner qualifies.

Incorrect!

The hex is the final group stage in CONCACAF, short for hexagonal, so named because there are 6 teams.

The playoff is 2 separate 2-legged competitions. For 2014, it's the 5th place team in Asia against the 5th place team from South America, and the 4th place team from North America against the first place team from Oceania. The 2 winners go to the World Cup.

Incorrect!

The hex is the final group stage in CONCACAF, short for hexagonal, so named because there are 6 teams.

The playoff is 2 separate 2-legged competitions. For 2014, it's the 5th place team in Asia against the 5th place team from South America, and the 4th place team from North America against the first place team from Oceania. The 2 winners go to the World Cup.

Indeed, you're right Jason the Yank. The Hex is short for hexagonal, which is synonymous with the 4th Phase of the CONCACAF Qualifiers. As for the intercontinental playoff, the four teams are drawn into pairs. Each pair plays one another home and away, with the two winning nations going ahead.

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017

11 July 2017

1080701439.png1326902812.png

Group C

Guatemala 2 - 4 Canada

Our first match in the 2017 Gold Cup was a good one. Guatemala is the easiest nation in our group and so a win was important. Both strikers contributed 2 goals apiece to solidify the win.

15 July 2017

1326902812.png1482439312.png

Group C

Canada 5 - 0 Honduras

Honduras is a Canadian rival in the world of football and a consistent performer. We were in for a tough match...or so I thought. Our first goal came from a brilliant run by Hattrell in the 1st minute. From there, it was the Canada show. Honduras started to get chippy and were given a few yellow cards and a red one for their efforts.

This has qualified us out of our group with a match against the United States still left to play. The Americans have qualified as well, so our match will be for bragging rights and little more.

Two nice wins with Canada :thup:.

Cheers, SRL88!

Well done on qualifying- a great win over Honduras (one of my bogey teams :D)!

Good luck with Benfica too :)

Thanks, AK22. Honduras can be a tough team, but this match was all Canada :)

Great stuff with Canada.

Thanks, deltablue!

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017

18 July 2017

1326902812.png67823259.png

Group C

Canada 2 - 0 United States of America

A fairly even match that look destined for a draw. However, Jackson, everpresent, snuck in behind the defensive line for a cross and took the lead in the 76th minute. The Americans tried to hit back to definitely took over the match, but we were able to hit on a counter and secure the win with Teibert's first even international goal.

And so, with the group stage done, we end up as follows:

• Canada - 9 pts.
  • United States - 6 pts.
  • Honduras - 1 pt.
  • Guatemala - 1 pt.

Looks like only us and the United States move on. The Quarter Final draw is this...

El Salvador v. Jamaica

Mexico v. Panama

Costa Rica v. United States of America

Curaçao v. Canada

We were very happy with that draw as it should be an easy win.

23 July 2017

curacaoroundicon256.png1326902812.png

Quarter Final

Curaçao 0 - 4 Canada

We took command of the match and racked up 4 goals in the first half to secure the win. The second half was a bit slower as I didn't want anyone getting hurt for the next match. It'll be a big one.

The semi final draw is as follows:

Jamaica v. Mexico

Canada v. United States

The Americans will want to redeem themselves from their earlier loss against us. We'll need to be prepared.

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017

27 July 2017

Semi Final

Canada 1p - 1 United States of America

The match against the United States for the semis was nervewracking. We went up by a goal early, but the Americans tied it all up in the second half. Extra time solved nothing so it went down to penalties, 7 shooters in total for each side. In the end, we rose victorious over our southern neighbours once again.

30 July 2017

1160803442.png1326902812.png

Final

Jamaica 1 - 6 Canada

Jamaica was a fairly heavy favourite going into this match. However, we began well, having the majority of control and all the shot for the first 10 minutes. Then, luck struck. A Jamaican player did a horrible tackle and got a straight red card for his troubles. From there, it was all Canada. Within another 10 minutes, we had the lead and went on to score 5 more after that. Canada wins it's second ever Gold Cup!

31 July 2017

logo_gold_cup2011.jpg

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017

The last Gold Cup, I was managing Costa Rica and we made the Final only to lose to Mexico. This time, I win with Canada. Feels pretty good.

The Results

Group A: Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Bahamas

Group B: Mexico, Jamaica, Curaçao, Cuba

Group C: Canada, United States, Honduras, Guatemala

finalwp.png

The Awards

Managerial Changes

The managers on Honduras, Cuba, and the Bahamas have all left their positions.

Great work Cerud on the Gold Cup win. Good luck in the Confed Cup later on. :p

Shocking Jamaica beat Mexico.

The Confed CUp won't be for a few years now as the 2017 one was just before the Gold Cup. Probably won't be around then :)

Congratulations on the Gold Cup cerud :thup:

Thanks, Dexter Morgan!

Congrats on the cup mate good luck with Benfica

Cheers, ashton321. Nice to see a new poster!

Congrats on winning the Gold Cup :thup:
Very well done.
Good cup win there. Bet you was loving the Jamaica/Mexico result!

Thanks all. Yeah, the Mexico-Jamaica match was first and I got to see the score before I played against the United States. I knew that if we won, we had a great chance. The penalty shootout almost killed me!

2017-2018 End of Pre-Season

5289.jpg

Benfica - Liga ZON SAGRES

The Matches

The friendly matches were already scheduled before I arrived, so I decided to keep them the same.

France - Championnat National - Red Star Football Club 93 - won 5-2

Germany - 3. Fußball-Liga - SV Babelsberg 03 - won 5-0

Greece - Football League - GSS Panionios - won 7-0

Greece - Superleague - GS Ergotelis - won 2-0

Portugal - Liga ZON SAGRES - Belenenses - won 7-0

The Players

Squad | Transfers - There hasn't been much movement in the squad as I didn't have much of a transfer budget. I was able to bring in one youngster from Heerenveen that had come up through their youth ranks and I feel can grow into a consistent midfielder.

Simone Pepe - M/AM RL - I'm weak on the wings and brining in Pepe on a season long loan should help with cover in both of those areas.

Nick van Egmond - M/AM C - Brought in from sc Heerenveen, I believe this young man has a future, especially if he continues to improve as he was under me in the Netherlands.

Pre-Season Thoughts

The squad was very good already, which makes sense given how Benfica have consistently been in the top 3 in Liga ZON SAGRES every year. My goal is to bring them back to the top of those 3 and success in Europe. It begins now.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

16 August 2017

541780727.png1326902812.png

4th Phase

Cuba 0 - 3 Canada

The second half of the Hex has begun and we're up against Cuba. A very simple match that never gave us a problem.

The Hex

The standings after 6 games are:

• Mexico - 18 pts.
  • Jamaica - 15 pts.
  • Canada - 10 pts.
  • United States of America - 7 pts.
  • Cuba - 3 pts.
  • Bahamas - 0 pts.

Mexico has now qualified, the only nation so far.

I also just had this come through the inbox...

ranke.png

August 2017 Update

5289.jpg

Liga ZON SAGRES

My beginning month in Portugal was kind of a mixed bag. We started great with a solid win against Maritimo. However, our next performance was laughable. We went down 3-0 in the first half. The score was at least semi respectable at the end, but it was never a match we should have lost.

fixe.png

UEFA Europa League

The Europa League start was the same as our league play. Brilliant first match; horrible second match. I'm hoping this club stops the Jekyll and Hyde routine before it seriously hurts us.

europab.png

The Standings

standof.png

I'm not sure why, but when I move clubs and introduce new tactical play, it takes a good 5-6 months before they are fully fluid. Haven't these players been playing this sport since they were about 4 years old? Shouldn't they have at least a cursory knowledge of basic tactics? It's like teaching a kid how to ride a bike every summer because they completely forgot over the winter. My dream...players with brains. Probably too much to ask.

Still, it's only two matches into the season and we have time to move. We will have a couple of domestic cups starting up soon, so our schedule will get pretty busy, especially if we handle the Europa League well and make the group stage. I'm hoping for the group stages; it would be a huge disappointment to go out earlier.

2017-2018 UEFA Europa League

200px-Europa_league.svg.png

Group Stage

The draw for the Group Stage has happened.

Group A: Bordeaux (FRA), Wassland-Beveren (BEL), Dnipro (UKR), Newcastle (ENG)

Group B: Partizan (SRB), H. Tel-Aviv (ISR), Vitesse (NED), Lech (POL)

Group C: Željezničar (BIH), Nacional da Madeira (POR), Dynamo Kiev (UKR), Ajax (NED)

Group D: Kuban (RUS), Sampdoria (ITA), Stuttgart (GER), Rangers (SCO)

Group E: Hannover (GER), SK Sturm Graz (AUT), Fenerbahçe (TUR), Valencia (ESP)

Group F: AZ (NED), FC Red Bull Salzburg (AUT), Karpaty (UKR), Tottenham (ENG)

Group G: Torino (ITA), Toulouse (FRA), Villareal (ESP), Metalist (UKR)

Group H: Young Boys (SUI), Fiorentina (ITA), Legia (POL), Osasuna (ESP)

Group I: Rapid Buc. (ROM), AEK (GRE), Basel (SUI), Benfica (POR)

Group J: Rubin (RUS), Lyon (FRA), Roda JC (NED), Palermo (ITA)

Group K: Genk (BEL), Nürnberg (GER), Celtic (SCO), Sevilla (ESP)

Group L: PSV (NED), CSKA Moscow (RUS), Esberg fB (DEN), Zürich (SUI)

I think we have a decent group to qualify from but my lack of knowledge of European football may be giving me a false sense of confidence. I think we should be fine.

I'm not sure why, but when I move clubs and introduce new tactical play, it takes a good 5-6 months before they are fully fluid. Haven't these players been playing this sport since they were about 4 years old? Shouldn't they have at least a cursory knowledge of basic tactics?

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Even 4-4-2 HOOF! is a mystery to them when you arrive.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Even 4-4-2 HOOF! is a mystery to them when you arrive.

I often imagine a new manager walking onto the pitch, "Alright boys, let's play some football!"

To which they reply, "Football? Oh! That's what this ball is for! Wow, have I been wrong all these 20+ years..."

Morons...

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

9 September 2017

4th Phase

Canada 4 - 2 United States of America

After the United States scored in the 1st minute, I got worried. However, we were able to match their level of play and go into the half only down 1-2. We scored early in the half and I was hoping to hold onto at least a tie. We did better than that.

On a side note, the United States fired their manager immediately after this match. They're hired former Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard to rebuild the national side.

13 September 2017

1160803442.png1326902812.png

4th Phase

Jamaica 0 - 1 Canada

After we demolished Jamaica 6-1 in the Gold Cup final, I knew that they were out for payback. We controlled the play in the first half, but neither side was able to break the other down. I made a few timely subs late in the second half and it paid off. A red card at the 90 minute mark meant we had to hold on for a few tenuous minutes, but we secured the important win.

The Hex

The standings after 8 games are:

• Mexico - 24 pts.
  • Canada - 16 pts.
  • Jamaica - 15 pts.
  • United States of America - 10 pts.
  • Cuba - 4 pts.
  • Bahamas - 1 pts.

Mexico has now qualified, the only nation so far. Both Canada and Jamaica have at least made the intercontinental playoff.

September 2017 Update

5289.jpg

Liga ZON SAGRES

Now we're playing as we should! Our 4 wins earned me the Manager of the Month award, which is nice, since that doesn't exist in the Netherlands. The win against Sporting CP was especially good given that they are another of the Big Three of Portugal and a fierce rival.

fixzv.png

The Standings

standwu.png

It's what should be expected in this league. FC Porto, Sporting CP, and us are all leading the pack. However, the no goals against against Porto means that when we finally do come up against them, it should be an interesting match!

2017-2018 UEFA Europa League

200px-Europa_league.svg.png

Group Stage

Our first match was home against AEK, a nice way to begin the group. It was simple enough; the Greeks took an early lead but we never really in the game. Once we tied up in the 11th minute, they just fell apart.

efix.png

estand.png

Not a bad Europa League group in all honesty. There will be some tricky ties but nothing you wont be able to handle. Nice start in the league to.

Edit: Nice win over AEK :thup:.

Archived