which do you prefer  

118 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer

• bbc
    • itv

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pundits I don't really care about, I can leave the room for them. On that basis can't stand ITV because of fecking Tyldesley. Awful awful awful.

Saying that, has Bright been on the BBC yet? Awful x100.

He was on the first game for the BBC, hasn't been on since. Hope I never have to hear him again, he really is the worst pundit.

I've not enjoyed a commentary duo on BBC, ITV, C5, ESPN or Sky as much as Tyler & Gray, Goals on Sunday when they have a couple of good guests and take their time looking at the games is the best highlights show, and Soccer Saturday is the best way to keep track of all the scores going on, with some fun, banter, decent insight and good quality information.

I don't really care too much about halftime or post-match pundits because I generally am either doing something else and I change channel once the game is over.

Sky just crap all over the competition as far as I'm concerned.

I think, if anything, the coverage is generally a lot better than at the World Cup and normally on MOTD etc. Hansen and even Shearer have looked like they've done a little bit of research, there haven't been any "who is Marek Hamsik?" moments.

Today on BBC was so brutal. Seedorf's 5 second comment at the end of HT had more value than everything the other idiots said combined during the previous 15 mins. They should fire the British pundits and anchors leaving us with just a Seedorf monologue. He can commentate too. Beats Peace who's useless and annoying.

BBC, although I commend ITV for actually being there compared to BBC who are based in Salford..

I commend the BBC for the opposite - saving the licence fee rather than giving the pundits a paid holiday in a warmer climate where they very occasionally talk about football.

The ITV ones are just sat in the same place every game aren't they? Doesn't really matter where they are.

Didn't I make a thread on this already at the start of the tournament...with a fancy list of which pundits were on which channel...and with a fancy poll added as well...shall I hand over my bank details as well for you hehehe!

I commend the BBC for the opposite - saving the licence fee rather than giving the pundits a paid holiday in a warmer climate where they very occasionally talk about football.

The ITV ones are just sat in the same place every game aren't they? Doesn't really matter where they are.

Having the coverage out on location is part of the feel of a tournament. BBC got this one badly wrong.

Having the coverage out on location is part of the feel of a tournament. BBC got this one badly wrong.

They really haven't.

With the Olympics in London this year, a large proportion of the Sports Budget has rightly gone to that.

With a limited budget & with David Cameron desperate to actually close the BBC down for good, they had to play this one safely & they have as a result done the right thing for this particular tournament.

They really haven't.

With the Olympics in London this year, a large proportion of the Sports Budget has rightly gone to that.

With a limited budget & with David Cameron desperate to actually close the BBC down for good, they had to play this one safely & they have as a result done the right thing for this particular tournament.

Yet they send Jake Humphrey out there. Terrible coverage from them.

You're still ignoring the issue of the government holding the BBC with utter contempt.

If they had spent "tax payers/license payers" money on sending their entire team out there, you can guarantee that the Tories would have ripped them to shreds. It'd have been used as another reason for why the Tories should evaluate the role of the BBC.

They've played the safe option for sure, but it is absolutely understandable given the current political & financial climate.

If they had spent "tax payers/license payers" money on sending their entire team out there, you can guarantee that the Tories would have ripped them to shreds. It'd have been used as another reason for why the Tories should evaluate the role of the BBC.

No idea why 5 Live's breakfast show needs to be out there tbf.

I don't like the BBC coverage. Hansen generally comes across as fairly knowledgeable on MotD but during international tournaments it becomes clear how little he puts into his role. Shearer's just horribly dull and Jonathan ****ing Pierce seems to think that he's commentating on the radio. The man cannot shut up. Still, at least it's not Adrian Chiles and ITV.

• SI Staff

Perhaps slighty off-topic, but how will the broadcasting happen in the 3rd matchround when games are at the same time?

Will one station just broadcast the two, and then as such one integral instead of live? Or will Game A be live on BBC whilst Game B will be live on ITV at the same time?

I'd agee if they were at the stadium but they are sat on a rooftop with no football in sight. May as well be in a studio in Salford.

Here is another reason for preferring the beeb:

Castrol Edge football on Twitter: "Since 1980, England have won 52% of major tournament games shown exclusively live on BBC, compared to just 30% on ITV." Not a good omen for tonight, then.

Football doesn't need to be in sight? It's in Poland, the stadium is in the background and you see all the goings on down below and they're constantly mentioning stuff that's happened or is happening down there or throughout the day. The Salford studio still looks so rubbish by comparison.

BBC all the way.

ITV's football coverage is on a par with practically everything else they do, i.e, it appeals to people who need assistance to close their mouths.

not really sure why people prefer the bbc. itv has wiped the floor with them. the advantage of the adverts is that the people in the studio don't have to fill time.

also, as pundit "moments" go, itv clearly had the standout moment as roy keane shut down everyone proud and irish

Yesterday the BBC commentators said these things...

West Germany instead of Germany

David Villa instead of Silva

That Spain reached the 1996 Eurovision quater final

That one of the Croatian players won the double with Dortmund in Italy

Calling one of the players Vida even though he'd been subbed off 15 minutes prior

Cassano apparently scoring vs Spain

just the absolute worst commentators and pundits are on the BBC.

I saw ITV's coverage of football for the first time ever for England/Ukraine.

It was utterly dreadful, and I have witnessed coverage of football in Australia. Clive Tyldsley is an absolutely terrible commentator and that muppet next to him Andy Townsend is even worse and Adrian Chiles simply puzzles me as to how he is on television.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived