Group A: Greece v Czech Republic

Candre168

gr.gifV cz.gif

municipalwroclaw.jpg

Municipal Stadium Wroclaw, Wroclaw

5PM GMT

Last Meeting: Greece 1-0 Czech Republic, Euro 2004 Semi Final.

Group A Standings

Teams	P	W	D	L	F	A	+/-	Pts
Russia	1	1	0	0	4	1	3	3
Greece	1	0	1	0	1	1	0	1
Poland	1	0	1	0	1	1	0	1
Czech R.1	0	0	1	1	4	-3	0

Team News/Pre-Match Comments

GREECE: Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Suspended thanks to Spanish idiot), Giorgos Fotakis (Thigh, Doubt), Avraam Papadopoulos (ACL, Out)

Fernando Santos (manager):

"The fact that the Czechs lost to Russia doesn't change my opinion about them,".

"After all, they had control of the game for the first 20 minutes. They are fast, compact and dangerous. We hope to counter their strong points.

"Greeks have this characteristic, to respond well to tough challenges and to surpass themselves to get the result they want.

"We will try to win. If we can't do this, then we will try not to lose. That is an outcome that we must avoid. That doesn't mean we'll play for draw. We will do everything to win the game."

Michalis Sifakis:

"We've studied our opponents, we look at the opener as losing two points as much as earning one. We are now chasing a win on Tuesday."

CZECH REPUBLIC:

Michal Bilek:

"I think the anger has changed into determination. Determination to fix the bad start we had in the tournament,"

"We felt the disappointment immediately afterwards, for sure. We did not succeed in any way in that first match, but we know we have another 180 minutes to play to allow us to qualify for the quarter-finals. So we're determined to do just that."

Tomas Rosicky:

"The bad memories of the Greece game are still there - but this isn't about revenge,"

"It was the most painful loss for me with the national team, we had no chance to come back (On Euro 2004)"

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Euro 2004 game (and the celebrations afterwards) is still one of my greatest moments ever!

Greek media suggest that we're starting a 4-3-3 with Fortounis, Salpiggidis and Samaras (:rolleyes: ) upfront, also Fotakis will be fit.

No Gekas? :confused: Gekas was pretty good last game, Samaras is terrible.

I'd play Fortounis, Gekas, Salpingidis. Don't care that Fortounis is 19, he deserves to play.

The only game I will see live in the stadium. My big day.

Want Czechs to win it for million reasons, from the 2004 semi final to me loving the country. Also, a 1-0 win is good for Poland, as it gives us a small chance of qualifying even after the inevitable evening defeat to Russia.

Czech Republic scarf and Cap ready, some more work to do and off I go :)

if Greece play like they did in the second half last week, they will win.

I agree. The problem is the following:

It is the Greek attitude to show the opposition A LOT of respect. This is obvious by how our domestic clubs play in Europe as well. We could play Malta or something and play them like they are Argentina, not because we are fundamentally 'defensive', but because of a lack of confidence.

We usually have a poor first half and a good second half. This is how it's been for a while now. If we can keep it 0-0 until HT, I'm sure we can get a goal in the second half.

The best thing that could happen is for the Czech Republic to score in the first five minutes, then our team would HAVE to go for it and they'd probably start playing quite well.

Enjoy :thup:

I certainly will. Just hope the weather doesn't change, it's been fine all day but I see a lot of clouds coming.

Going to the centre of the city now to feel the atmosphere, eat something - just a shame it is too late to go to my favourite Czech pub for a pint of Svijany.

I'm going to miss most of Poland game, but don't really care.

Czesi do toho!!!

A draw would be fantastic.

Not at all. Greece with 2 point, us with 1 and Greeks play already qulaified Russia who are not likely to be doing everything to help us. We need Czechs to win (by one goal preferably) to keep our naive hopes alive.

Not at all. Greece with 2 point, us with 1 and Greeks play already qulaified Russia who are not likely to be doing everything to help us. We need Czechs to win (by one goal preferably) to keep our naive hopes alive.

I'm Polish, not Czech. :p

Greece: Chalkias - Torosidis, K.Papadopoulos, Katsouranis, Holebas - Fotakis, Maniatis, Karagounis - Salpingidis, Samaras, Fortounis

Czech: Cech - Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky - Hubschman, Plasil; Jiracek, Rosicky - Pilar; Baros

Archived