Mr Hough's 4-2-1-3 for FM12

admit I never tried 3-man defence in FM13 but will def give this tactic a go!

my experience with FM13 is I have surprisingly managed to create solid tactics defensively (despite being very offensive 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 in my mind lol), but can't seem to get the attack going. Things I had success with in previous FM - most notably inside forwards running with ball often + killer pass for quick lone striker beating offside trap - have failed big time for me!

waiting for hough's tactic esp to learn more about new ME :)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
admit I never tried 3-man defence in FM13 but will def give this tactic a go!

my experience with FM13 is I have surprisingly managed to create solid tactics defensively (despite being very offensive 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 in my mind lol), but can't seem to get the attack going. Things I had success with in previous FM - most notably inside forwards running with ball often + killer pass for quick lone striker beating offside trap - have failed big time for me!

waiting for hough's tactic esp to learn more about new ME :)

Wingers aren't great neither is 2 or 3 striker formations, Lone AMC are really awesome teamed with a ST, Remember you want your AMC to be the link between midfield and ST so you don't want his mentality too high or the opposition will pick him up too easily and close him out of the game

Wingers aren't great neither is 2 or 3 striker formations, Lone AMC are really awesome teamed with a ST, Remember you want your AMC to be the link between midfield and ST so you don't want his mentality too high or the opposition will pick him up too easily and close him out of the game

well my offensive strategies often rely on wrong-footed AMR/L being my main playmakers, which is actually not working great for me in FM13.

Always tend to favor lone striker formations and like the idea of a superstar AMC playmaker so looking forward to learn from your tactic :) I also guess the side MC's will be box-to-box type of midfielders making the occasional forward run without the ball?

well my offensive strategies often rely on wrong-footed AMR/L being my main playmakers, which is actually not working great for me in FM13.

Always tend to favor lone striker formations and like the idea of a superstar AMC playmaker so looking forward to learn from your tactic :) I also guess the side MC's will be box-to-box type of midfielders making the occasional forward run without the ball?

Something i always tend to do is try one thing and if its not working and i can clearly see it not working I'll try the complete opporsite and see how i do then. Maybe something you can try.

Going unbeaten with Everton and Tottenham is a good achievement, I think this one is better....

Newcastle after 17 games 16 wins 1 draw 15 points clear already!!!

Newcastleafter17games15PointsClearUnbeaten.jpg

Newcastle Squad

newcastlesquad.jpg

Newcastle Fixtures.

NewcastleFixtures.jpg

92% win rate for me, Decent Manager i guess...

92winrate.jpg

As You can see i have now done 3 separate tests with the tactic all massively exceeding expectations.

I forgot to mention my last game against Arsenal, I won them 3-0 and they had 1 shot all game, Defence is good too......

I was having a good time with my own tactic and was even thinking about uploading it here, but there's sometimes a distinct lack of goals and despite the opposition rarely threatening, we seem to concede a lot of silly penalties out of nothing and end up losing or drawing games we should win comfortably.(mines a 4-1-2-2-1).

Have been looking forward to Mr Hough's tactic though, although the formation is not one of my favourites, results ARE, so will be keeping an eye out for this.

My story.

I have been making a tactic exactly like the one you are making here. My idea was to start with Barcelona, to have the best players available. Then when the tactic was working as intended move on to another less profilistic team. It has been made using the tactics creator, and then afterwards I have been altering some settings.

The setup for me is:

--------GK----------

---BPD(d)-DC©-BPD(d)---

WBR(a)-------------WBL(a)

---APM(s)-BWM(d)-APM(s)---

-------ATM(a)---------

------ADF/Poa(a)------

Tanslated into players it is like this:

--------Valdes----------

---masch-puyol-pique---

Alves-------------Alba

---Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta---

-------Messi---------

------Villa------

Fluid/standard approach. Zonal marking. Defensive line two notches above normal, width normal, tempo first notch of normal. I would like to assume this transparents pretty well Barca, with the two wing backs bombing forward (I have them on hugs touchline and pretty high mentality).

The outcome:

- Problems creating clear cut chances. I see lots of possesion where I have 6-7 players in their box together with their 8-9 defenders. So it gets too crowded. My players try to work the ball over the line (guess its not that far from IRL with barca).

- Generally pretty solid defence. Opponents get their goals on set pieces or errors in general.

- Problems scoring more than 1-2 goals. I really struggle. I have games where I create 8 chances and games where I create 30 chances. Around half of my chances are long shots despite contrary settings, and half of the chances I get do not get inside the posts.

I really look forward seeing and hearing what you do differently, as the formation is clearly the same. Im eager to hear how you create your chances and how you make your build up play as I think this is my problem now.

I have of course tried a lot of settings, and tried very slow passing and very direct passing, the latter seems to be worse for me as the ball is just thrown away too fast all the time.

Something i always tend to do is try one thing and if its not working and i can clearly see it not working I'll try the complete opporsite and see how i do then. Maybe something you can try.

you're right, I tend to stick with some tactical concepts (eg back four defence, short passing, inside forwards) because I like them irl and want to replicate them in FM but I should be more open-minded I guess :)

3-man defence for example is something I wouldn't even try to implement normally :p

The reason i like the idea of 3 at the back is because you can have a strong central defender like vidic and then two ball playing defenders either side of him, like Ferdinand, Bochetti, Vermaelen and you can even slot in defensive minded midfielders like carrick, song and mascherano. Also not only does a 352 get the best out of wingbacks like rafael, cole, evra etc but you can also play your hardworking wingers in the wing back positions such as valencia, park, marchisio etc.

It also gives the attack three focal points, the first being the wingbacks, who unmarked can rip the opposition to shreds out wide, the second being through the centre with the amc and 2 outer cm's looking to thread through balls through the middle to the single striker. The third is the less so obvious deep lying play of the two outer cb's who may look to launch attacking balls from the defence.

It's a beautiful formation and allows for so much versatility and variety!

Hey Hough, good to see you again.

Looking forward to this.

I'm finding defending is silly easy in FM13, but goal scoring is not as easy. I'm winning a lot of matches 2-0 and 1-0 and have only conceded 4 goals in my first half a season...but I'm not getting impressive results. So I look forward to seeing what you've come up with :)

Good luck mate.

looking forward to trying it out...

its very similar to two formations I used last year. 4-2-2-2 ( with a second mc instead of the 3rd fc) and 4-2-1-1-2 the same 4-2-1 as described above but with an omc instead of a 3rd striker...

Archived