The Opening Match - Poland VS Greece (08/06/2012 17.00) BBC1

Baptista_8

I see the incident as player slipping, trying to stay up and almost making it before being pushed back to the ground. Still just my view of the incident, and I may well change that after sobering and watching another replay ;)

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see the incident as player slipping, trying to stay up and almost making it before being pushed back to the ground. Still just my view of the incident, and I may well change that after sobering and watching another replay ;)

Fair enough. The first yellow as well, you have to admit, even when not sober (:D) was a joke.

I'm not going to complain about anything else, but the referee made me mad and I hope it's not what we're going to see for the rest of the tournament.

Get real. The player fell into Sokratis. He was already on his way down before contact was even made. Just about every unbias media outlet has called it out as two terrible decisions.

I'm not accusing the player of diving at all, I am accusing the referee of being useless.

Yeah, this is what I said after watching the first replay. Still, there was some foul play from the defender, which makes it a really hard call.

Credit to Greece, they did just waht I expected from them, coming back from a very difficult position and should have won it tbf.

Sad thing is both teams are probably out of the competition now, but Greece have to bonus of playing what will be an already qualified Russia in their last game.

Fair enough. The first yellow as well, you have to admit, even when not sober (:D) was a joke.

Dubious at least, but never expected anything else from Spanish ref. Still don't know however how Błaszczykowski escaped a yellow, he made at least two-three clumsy tackles during the second half.

Dubious at least, but never expected anything else from Spanish ref. Still don't know however how Błaszczykowski escaped a yellow, he made at least two-three clumsy tackles during the second half.

That's a news to me. Are you seriously saying that Blaszczykowski was playing in this match???

Sad thing is both teams are probably out of the competition now, but Greece have to bonus of playing what will be an already qualified Russia in their last game.

I'm not sure. I think for Greece it depends largely on the result against the Czech Republic. If we somehow win, I think we'll be in a strong position, but if we draw/lose it'll be very difficult because Russia look they could seriously challenge for the tournament.

For Poland, if you get a draw against Russia, you could still make it :).

I'm not sure. I think for Greece it depends largely on the result against the Czech Republic. If we somehow win, I think we'll be in a strong position, but if we draw/lose it'll be very difficult because Russia look they could seriously challenge for the tournament.

For Poland, if you get a draw against Russia, you could still make it :).

Yes, of course.

the way it looks now is there is no other way than us losing to Russia heavily and this means your game vs Czech is a vital one (and remember I will be attending it live at the stadium and cupporting Czechs no matter what, so your chances are pretty limited;) ). If you get a draw, then you play Russians who have 6 points and are already qualified. So our game vs Czechs has no importance.

But as I said it is football so anything can happen.

Yes, of course.

the way it looks now is there is no other way than us losing to Russia heavily and this means your game vs Czech is a vital one (and remember I will be attending it live at the stadium and cupporting Czechs no matter what, so your chances are pretty limited;) ). If you get a draw, then you play Russians who have 6 points and are already qualified. So our game vs Czechs has no importance.

But as I said it is football so anything can happen.

Yes. If we play the Czech game defensive, we will lose and deserve it. I hope we show the fight we showed in the second half, and that means having Salpingidis and Fortounis on this pitch. I get annoyed when we play defensive because I think we actually are capable of a more positive style of football, it's just the players don't have confidence in themselves to play it because they are consistently forced to be ultra-defensive.

haha bbc taking the **** out of samaras on motd :D

What did they say? :D

One of my friends frequently describes Samaras as someone who looks like he is 'a trainee air steward who got fired for refusing to shave and ended up in his cousin's thrash metal band in the hope of losing his virginity'.

He showed a good bit of skill with the ball, and actually won a few tackles, it's just he has the worst shot I've seen on a so called 'striker'.

Oh he's not a striker, definitely not a striker. :D We play him left mid, I'm surprised he didn't run direct with the ball more.

Oh he's not a striker, definitely not a striker. :D We play him left mid, I'm surprised he didn't run direct with the ball more.

He plays 'AML' for Greece. He's got the worst shot I've seen on an 'offensive' player' then :D.

There are several players who could do better than him. I think he'll be dropped next game, personally.

What did they say? :D

One of my friends frequently describes Samaras as someone who looks like he is 'a trainee air steward who got fired for refusing to shave and ended up in his cousin's thrash metal band in the hope of losing his virginity'.

haha, just showed his worst bits and had a good laugh about it in the process. :D

tbf he was shocking at times, just like i remember him!

Samaras is an extremely frustrating player, as he has the attributes to be pretty good - surprisingly decent skill and technique, tall and quick, hard working, with a bit of flair - and from time to time he can be devastatingly effective. He's usually not at all, though.

He's been decent for Celtic recently, just don't let him shoot!

Good result, considering we had our 2 starting CB out at half time :thup:

Crappy/nervous 1st half performance, much better 2nd half. It was good to see the team play a little more attacking, (though I loved the tactical display in Euro 2004) Salpiggidis really helped changing the match, perhaps it would be better if Santos started him at the right wing, with Ninis in his natural position at AMC and Samaras in his natural position at the bench.

(scumbag ref :mad:)

I don't think we'll qualify anyway, since we don't have a proper goalkeeper, but if we snatch a win against the Czech, who knows :D

I don't think we'll qualify anyway, since we don't have a proper goalkeeper, but if we snatch a win against the Czech, who knows :D

I think we still have a chance, but if Kara had scored the penalty I'd be much more optimistic since we'd already have a 3pt advantage over Poland & Czech Republic.

Next game I would definitely put Salpi and either Fortounis/Fetfatzidis on the other wing.

Archived