Marking and closing down

I'm still trying to figure the best combination for my team in terms of type of marking system and closing down style.

Here's a description I found from Cleon regarding what the different marking styles do:

Zonal marking - a player is responsible for a specific area.

Man marking - a player will always mark a man

specific man marking - You can select a certain player that you want to be followed all the time by your player. So if you wanted your AML to mark the oppositions right winger if you specify him for man marking he'll try and shadow him and mark him.

First some background on my tactical setup. I'm using a 4-2-3-1 with two regular MCs and wingers. The philosophy is very fluid, strategy is attacking.

Now, the trouble I'm having is figuring out which marking system benefits my own attacking players the most. I read somewhere that it is better to keep any attacking players on zonal as it helps them more with finding space to exploit. So at the moment I'm actually employing a default marking setting essentially keeping my center backs and both MCs on man marking and everyone else on zonal. The previous season though I used a purely man-marking system. This season though I'm going with default and it seems to work better, however, I'm not sure if it's because of the actual switch from one marking style to another or if it's for another reason like my players simply having developed more and now are just performing better in their roles as a result.

My other question is actually figuring out the best closing down style to complement the type of marking system I'm using. Currently my choice to use the "press more" option for closing down. Is it better to use a purely man-marking system when trying to press the opposition so much or would zonal just as well with this closing down setting?

I'm still trying to figure the best combination for my team in terms of type of marking system and closing down style.

Here's a description I found from Cleon regarding what the different marking styles do:

First some background on my tactical setup. I'm using a 4-2-3-1 with two regular MCs and wingers. The philosophy is very fluid, strategy is attacking.

Now, the trouble I'm having is figuring out which marking system benefits my own attacking players the most. I read somewhere that it is better to keep any attacking players on zonal as it helps them more with finding space to exploit. So at the moment I'm actually employing a default marking setting essentially keeping my center backs and both MCs on man marking and everyone else on zonal. The previous season though I used a purely man-marking system. This season though I'm going with default and it seems to work better, however, I'm not sure if it's because of the actual switch from one marking style to another or if it's for another reason like my players simply having developed more and now are just performing better in their roles as a result.

My other question is actually figuring out the best closing down style to complement the type of marking system I'm using. Currently my choice to use the "press more" option for closing down. Is it better to use a purely man-marking system when trying to press the opposition so much or would zonal just as well with this closing down setting?

I think when it comes to man marking standing off them would be best, Simply because if you are man marking and with high closing down your player is gonna 'step' out of defence to close the man down, I've seen this time and time again and it just leaves gaps in the defence.

Zonal marking on the other hand is slightly different because they will go to mark a player once he has entered the zone and once he has left the defender will go back to his defensive position.

My overall choice would be Man Marking with a Stand offish mentality

For my two CD's I always use zonal and pull the slider back to "own area" they never go up for corners or anything else, basically they have a 40 yard rope tied to them and the goal post. So many time I have been caught on the counter attack I decided that it was best for my tactics to have them do what they are best at and stay back and in position at all times

With my wingers and wide striker, I will use specific and tight on their two FB's/WB's to force the opposition DC's into a long punt as the wider options are being marked, this will also pull my players further back creating a 5 man midfield at times. Works well for me.

My other question is actually figuring out the best closing down style to complement the type of marking system I'm using.

In general, I will lessen the closing down from attack to defence, meaning that my forward players will have maximum closing down as it does not matter if they get pulled out of position then my midfield will be a few notches less, allowing them to keep their shape but also to still attack the ball, FB'S less and DC's like I said above, "own area".

Thanks for your inputs guys but what I'm after is advice that's relevant to using the marking settings that come with the tactics creator only. I'm not looking to start fiddling around with individual instructions.

So is it better to employ a squad-wide man-marking system for increased closing down? Will this restrict my attacking players in any way?

Thanks for your inputs guys but what I'm after is advice that's relevant to using the marking settings that come with the tactics creator only. I'm not looking to start fiddling around with individual instructions.

So is it better to employ a squad-wide man-marking system for increased closing down? Will this restrict my attacking players in any way?

you can do it individually with the Stopper/Cover System on defenders which is basically what i meant.

Cover - You player is stand off more and look to cover through balls and long balls over the top.

Stopper - Your player will look to intercept the ball before it reaches it's destination, This can be dangerous though as if you have good opposition they can sell you a turn and ghost past you.

My choice would be Limited Defender with Cover and Man Marking Settings.

Remember your overall starting Strategy plays a part in your Mentality and Closing down settings.

Well as I said before, my strategy is attacking so I'm being pretty aggressive in that regard, my understanding is that this should go well with pressing the opposition more aggressively as well. So what I'm after is a marking system that compliments this aggressive closing down style.

In theory, you would think that Man Marking with high pressing and aggressive tackling would work best in an attacking tactic so you could try that.

But I like using Zonal Marking with high pressing because more often than not, when your attacking players receive the ball, they will have more space whereas theoretically they will have less space with Man Marking. Plus I like watching my team press the opposition whilst keeping almost rigidly to their shape because when designing your tactic, you obviously envisioned the defense to play in a certain shape/way and with Man marking, they would potentially be pulled out of shape pretty easily.

Just my thoughts on the matter :)

Well as I said before, my strategy is attacking so I'm being pretty aggressive in that regard, my understanding is that this should go well with pressing the opposition more aggressively as well. So what I'm after is a marking system that compliments this aggressive closing down style.

Basically what ShirazS said, if you want to keep your shape a zonal marking could be more effective, if you don't care about that or you have defenders with strong mental attributes (less prone to leave holes in your asset) then you could go for a man marking system.

By the way, using man-marking upfront is a good way to oblige some or all your attacking players to track back and help defensively, so you could mix things up a bit and see what happens.

Archived