• Barry
    • Lampard
    • Parker
    • Gerrard
    • Carrick

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gerrard has been anonymous. Two crosses and people are crawling up his arse again.
I've not heard anybody overrate his performances. He's been wasteful in possession and has been largely anonymous for large parts of each match, but to create two goals in the manner he has makes him worth his weight in gold (which is the same argument I often apply to Frank Lampard). I think the appraisal of him on the Internet and in the press have reflected that, pretty much.

I've not heard anybody overrate his performances. He's been wasteful in possession and has been largely anonymous for large parts of each match, but to create two goals in the manner he has makes him worth his weight in gold (which is the same argument I often apply to Frank Lampard). I think the appraisal of him on the Internet and in the press have reflected that, pretty much.

So if Lampard did the same it'd be worth more, is what you're saying?

'Fat Frank' jokes are still going, right?

Gerrard has been anonymous. Two crosses and people are crawling up his arse again.

He hasn't been amazing, but it is hard to fault him. He hasn't been the indisciplined lone ranger he was at the World Cup, for example.

He wasn't really wasteful against France, kept possession well I thought. Against Sweden he got carried away after his assist and went for a few too many hollywood balls, but I guess you need someone to keep trying them as we're a bit low on creativity.

Has been fairly solid defensively which has helped a lot.

I thought Parker was pretty poor against Sweden. Gerrard had his highlights but still gave the ball away unnecessarily.

As the best two we have available though I can't really complain, we don't have anyone who could do any better.

So two prominent things arose through the course of England's tournament;

1. Gerrard and Parker received praise for their performances as a midfield pair.

2. The absence of Lampard and Barry was brought up frequently and cited as a major blow for England.

Now pardon me, but wouldn't Lampard and Barry have simply played as a pairing in much the same way as Gerrard and Parker? Perhaps the extra options would have offered a bit more scope for subs/freshness, but I'm a bit nonplussed by some people decrying the absence of Lampard and Barry as one of the reasons for England's 'failure'. I don't see how they could or would have performed any better or differently than the other two given the limitations of England's approach. Certainly wasn't necessarily a glaringly weak part of the side so much that FL & GB would have drastically altered the eventual outcome.

Young practically humiliated himself this tournament. The pen was a good send off for his efforts.

Was quite clearly utterly sh!tting it in the build up to the kick. Never looked up at the goal once, just head down, eyes fixed on the ball, run up and smash it.

So two prominent things arose through the course of England's tournament;

1. Gerrard and Parker received praise for their performances as a midfield pair.

2. The absence of Lampard and Barry was brought up frequently and cited as a major blow for England.

Now pardon me, but wouldn't Lampard and Barry have simply played as a pairing in much the same way as Gerrard and Parker? Perhaps the extra options would have offered a bit more scope for subs/freshness, but I'm a bit nonplussed by some people decrying the absence of Lampard and Barry as one of the reasons for England's 'failure'. I don't see how they could or would have performed any better or differently than the other two given the limitations of England's approach. Certainly wasn't necessarily a glaringly weak part of the side so much that FL & GB would have drastically altered the eventual outcome.

I don't think anyone has said that, as a pair they were completely ineffectual at influencing the game. Gerrard had the odd moment of brilliant with his final delivery but as a pair they just weren't good enough.

Archived