Who is currently the worst central midfielders for a 4-4-2 system  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Who is currently the worst central midfielders for a 4-4-2 system

• Barry
    • Lampard
    • Parker
    • Gerrard
    • Carrick

Out of the 5 he is the worst in a 4-4-2, the poll shows I'm not alone on this one either. And I didn't insinuate he "never" played well I made the comment of him making sloppy passes because the formation is generally more direct therefore this is the reason why I think he is the worst of the 5 in a 4-4-2 for this reason, if it was 4-5-1/4-3-3 then I would have said Gerrard.

This post literally begs belief, I mean you have it the complete wrong way round. Carrick = best in a 4-4-2. Gerrard = best in a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'all give me some good examples where he has played well in a 4-4-2 system against good opposition...

We played most of the season with 4-4-2, with Carrick playing 41 times, with Carrick being one of our best players.

The only thing Carrick is guilty of is not looking like Charlie Adam on Match of the Day, where that one Hollywood pass gets repeated again and again (ignoring the many misplaced passes he gets per match).

Gerrard. Certainly not a bad player but really unsuited to a 4-4-2 with his runs, can see Parker being completely exposed. If Hodgson wants 4-4-2 I'd have Gerrard up front, (if he has to play at all) Parker + 1 of the others I could see working well.

I'm not talking about Carrick playing better, I'm talking about the tactical side and getting the best out of 4-4-2. But he would look better if he had someone who would create space and always be in good position to pass. We all know Carrick isn't capable of delivering long and direct passes, so he needs someone who will do this for him and help build advantage in midfield.

Out of the 5 he is the worst in a 4-4-2, the poll shows I'm not alone on this one either. And I didn't insinuate he "never" played well I made the comment of him making sloppy passes because the formation is generally more direct therefore this is the reason why I think he is the worst of the 5 in a 4-4-2 for this reason, if it was 4-5-1/4-3-3 then I would have said Gerrard.

What the heck :D

Carrick played in a 442 with Spurs, he earnt a big money move to Utd and for the majority of his time there he's been playing central in a 442(or 4411 if you like with Rooney) in a title winning side. Gerrard on the otherhand had his best spell of his career by far when playing behind Torres, when has he ever shown that level of play in a 442? As sheps said ... this post is entirely the wrong way round.

Gerrard plays well at the top of a 3 man midfield, correct but a 4-5-1/4-3-3 isnt the formation that you are talking about that is a 4-2-3-1 is it not? With 2 sitting midfielders allowing Gerrard to roam. He also does well in a 4-4-2 driving forward from the midfield, I just feel he isnt as effective when the 3 men in midfield ar played close together as he isn't the dominant attacking force he can be.

I just don't rate Carrick above any of the other four, not once have I said he is a poor player. I stand by my opinion he plays better in a 3 man midfield than a 2 man midfield also albeit if I have been blinded by match of the day (as someone earlier pointed out that they make him look like Charlie Adam :D) its still my opinion of the guy.

Have you actually watched ANY of Carrick this season!? Jeez, argue about whether he should have been called up or not but this is deluded given how well he has played in a 442 for United this season, he has been excellent. Unless this is alias of Razzler, very baffling!

It isn't Razz, jamez has always been baffling all on his own. Btw could people stop quoting him all the effing time, it kind of negates my putting him on ignore. ;););)

It's got nothing to do with being touchy or sensitive. It's just the simplest way to stop myself from banging my head against the nearest wall after having spent a few hours in a needless argument that was going nowhere right from the start. ;)

Sorry Wallin I wasn't actually complaining about yourself there just the other guys who don't understand my criticism of a player as well as I do myself. With all the fanboys on here its difficult to criticise any footballer these days.

Out of the 5 he is the worst in a 4-4-2

errrrrrrr he plays in a 442 every week for Manchester United, one of the biggest sides in the world, he also does very well there. Him and Parker play this formation every single week, they are by far the best equipped to play in a 2 man central midfield, you are talking **** son.

Anyway clearly Gerrard is the worst midfielder for a 442, followed by Lampard, then Barry then Carrick and Parker.

The poll shows 16 other people agree with me that he is the worst out of the 5? Someone tell me I am wrong?

All that shows is 16 people are really dumb and should never comment on football matters again.

Originally Posted by aggressive minor Have you actually watched ANY of Carrick this season!? Jeez, argue about whether he should have been called up or not but this is deluded given how well he has played in a 442 for United this season, he has been excellent. Unless this is alias of Razzler, very baffling!

I don't like Carrick but I didn't say anything about 4-4-2s! :p

Anyway, Carrick is worse than Suarez/Evra now for how much he gets brought up

Carrick is the worst midfielder out of the 5 generally, that is definitive.

In a 4-4-2 like I have said I can only say what I have seen in some matches I have watched and on match of the day, and like someone has said he is made to look like a dunce on match of the day so then I have to refer to some of my matches if that point is null and void, and out of all the Man Utd games I saw this season he didnt stand out and do anything spectacular like I have seen the other 4 do this year or any previous years.

Always loved Gerrard in a 4-4-2 he drives it while someone sits back whether it be Liverpool of the past or England in a 4-4-2. (Which seems to be the main question of my judgment) So your not taking that away from me. :D

Must say not seen much of Gareth Barry in a 4-4-2 and while I'm not his biggest fan him and parker are the defensive duos' of the poll and they are a necessity within the 4-4-2 to provide the defense some support, where I believe Barrys strengths lie, as do Parkers.

Lampard probably couldn't be as effective in a 4-4-2 now due to his age, much more difficult being the box to box in the 4-4-2 he has played before, he excels at sitting in a partnered 4-2-3-1 system with another defensive minded midfilder as he is able to pick his opportunities more wisely. But if this is counting how he has played in a 4-4-2 he has done good before.

Carrick then is the only one who I don't have a positive comment about in a 4-4-2 because I must have been brain washed my Match of the Day. :D

But no in all honesty and I keep repeating it he isn't an outstanding player, just decent at best. Not saying he is awful so you bottom lickers can stay calm.

Always loved Gerrard in a 4-4-2 he drives it while someone sits back whether it be Liverpool of the past or England in a 4-4-2. (Which seems to be the main question of my judgment) So your not taking that away from me. :D

Gerrard has no discipline to play in a 4-4-2

Lampard probably couldn't be as effective in a 4-4-2 now due to his age,

You do realise that Lampard is 33, while Gerrard is......... 32!

Jamez has resorted to formation notation pedantry, fanboy insinuations, going back on what he's said and accusing others of being touchy and sensitive.

Now if I can get him to refer to me as a Nazi I have a full house.

(Double post I know)

Has anyone actually come up with ANY excellent games for Carrick in a 4-4-2 recently, or a descriptive commentary on why I am wrong in saying he is no better than decent?

Generally-speaking, Carrick is rarely excellent but mostly very good overall.

His job is to keep possession, keep things ticking and start counter-attacks, and he does that very well indeed.

He's more than decent.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/stats-carricks-season-in-full-in-comparison-to-others/

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/stats-michael-carrick-has-been-ridiculously-good/

No I just had the notion that some people required justification of my opinion due to the fact not many people on here accept other peoples apart from their own.

Of course you need to justify an opinion. That's how we can tell whether you're an intelligent person who makes his own mind up on things, or an idiot who has stupid opinions.

As for showing you an excellent game, we've given you 5 seasons at United to look through, and god-knows how many seasons at Spurs. Most played in a double-centre-midfield-partnership.

Gerrard however rarely plays in the 4-4-2, and when he does, wanders far too much, plays stupid long-balls and generally loses play. Why don't you show us 8+ years of games where Gerrard has played well in a midfield 2?

(Double post I know)

Has anyone actually come up with ANY excellent games for Carrick in a 4-4-2 recently, or a descriptive commentary on why I am wrong in saying he is no better than decent?

Unlike Gerrard, Carrick's role is to be 8/10 every week, rather than 6 or 7/10 most weeks and 9/10 occasionally.

He's a great passer, his positioning is good and he is very tactically aware.

Whilst he rarely wins matches, he wins trophies.

Unlike Gerrard, Carrick's role is to be 8/10 every week, rather than 6 or 7/10 most weeks and 9/10 occasionally.

He's a great passer, his positioning is good and he is very tactically aware.

Whilst he rarely wins matches, he wins trophies.

Carrick is not dominant and versatile enough to take control of a game, he can't get around the pitch as much as others he is a 7/10 week in week out no more no less, solid and composed but not spectacular.

The other 4 are slightly ahead of him because of the countless times they have had outstanding games, game changers whether it be Scott Parkers driving runs when he has won the ball which leads to things such as his amazing and memorable goal in his last season with the hammers or Gerrards tireless performances showing grit and determination to be the game changer.

I think you guys have taken too much criticism from my words whether it you be Tottenham fans, Utd fans or Carricks best friend. :D

If someone makes a 'top 10 posts' of this thread I'd be willing to bet jamez will take the ten spots all by himself. Was going to quote and ridicule one of his posts but decided to read on, now I can't decide which one deserves the most ridicule ffs :D

Carrick the worst for 4-4-2 when he's the only one consistently playing a proper 4-4-2 :D (think Chelsea kept 3 in the middle after RDM took over?)

Gerrard the best for 4-4-2 :D

He may play in a 4-4-2 which is where I think you are all missing the point, put any of the other four consistently in a 4-4-2 in their respective teams and I would be willing to bet a fair amount of money they would all contribute more to the team than Carrick. That is what I am saying and its quite hilarious the fact that Carrick is 3rd in this poll yet no one bats an eyelid and is worshipped like god in here.

He may play in a 4-4-2 which is where I think you are all missing the point, put any of the other four consistently in a 4-4-2 in their respective teams and I would be willing to bet a fair amount of money they would all contribute more to the team than Carrick. That is what I am saying and its quite hilarious the fact that Carrick is 3rd in this poll yet no one bats an eyelid and is worshipped like god in here.

Make this happen please, I'll go 2/1 on any midfielder you pick :thup:

I would love to honestly I would, I'm not naive by any means and I know some of the players haven't played as much in a 4-4-2 as much as Carrick has which is what you have all correctly pointed out like a billion times :D. I just feel the other four players are/have been that good at their respective clubs they would outshine Carrick with their quality as to me he is definitevly the worst of the 5.

Not saying he is awful by all means, decent at best like I keep saying.

Archived