Thread about Italy, Undoubtedly Featuring SuperMario

Despite not being Italian, I decide to make a thread. Guys usually floating around in the Italian-football thread are lazy, and the tournament is so near.

FIGC_logo.svg

General information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_football_team

Road to Euro 2012:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_qualifying_Group_C

Hurdles in Euro 2012:

Hispania, Hibernia, and a combined part of Pannonia and Dalmatia, both were themselves a part of Illyria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_C

Coach:

Cesare-Prandelli.jpg

Squad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_squads#Italy

Gianluigi+Buffon

salvatore_sirigu_10847_630x300px.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.football-italia.net/19624/prandelli-sees-adaptable-italy

Prandelli is going to wait until the last minute for the recovery of Barzagli from his calf strain. Understandable. Barzagli is an important figure. There are no decent backup players available with excellent quality.

It remains to be seen how Italy will line up against Spain. Anything kicking the Fiorentina guy out of the first eleven is obviously welcome.

Haha, Prandelli such a troll. Anyone can see Barzagli is a liability.

Fortunately for him 3-5-2 and De Rossi at central defence is going to cost Italy before he has a chance to. Nice one, Claudio. Such an abysmal, panic idea.

Haha, Prandelli such a troll. Anyone can see Barzagli is a liability.

Fortunately for him 3-5-2 and De Rossi at central defence is going to cost Italy before he has a chance to. Nice one, Claudio. Such an abysmal, panic idea.

To be fair, playing De Rossi in a "Matthäus/Sammer position" would have been a brilliant idea for two reasons:

a) it would have benched Bonucci and/or Barzagli

b) it would have solved the inconvenienve of having to field De Rossi as a two-way midfielder

Unfortunately Prandelli got carried away and decided to go for a laughable 3-5-2...

It will become an outlandish 2-6-2 with De Rossi, Maggio and Balzaretti (or Giaccherini... *groan*) providing questionable defensive coverage and equally debatable offensive contribution.

Had Italy had two decent fullbacks I would have applauded a 5-3-2 with De Rossi starting deep between the two centrebacks. But as it's been hinted today it's just the worst idea ever conceived by an Italian manager.

SuperMario will score lots and loads of goals to bring the trophy to Italy and show it off in Manchester.

And yeah, it starts tomorrow. Croatia doesn't have much debt, though.

I think that Bonucci is actually a libero, but I don't mind with Prandelli starting De Rossi. The only question is whether Bonucci will also start or Ogbonna.

Italy lads...are you thinking you will get out of your group then? And if so, how far will you go?

Yes.

And initially, I thought we'd make the final. But I think this 3-5-2 is a horrible idea and will cost us. So now I'm not sure.

Yes and yes.

I was pleasantly surprised by that - I expected the performance in particular to be much worse in that system.

I'm worried by how easily we became ragged when faced with a striker - Croatia and Ireland aren't going to mess about and play midfielders up front, so Prandelli needs to address that problem pretty quickly. If that was a final, there was only one team that was going to win it.

But we created a good number of chances. Liked Marchisio - he benefits from this. I like Thiago Motta too, but then he should always be starting regardless of system. So long as we control the game against Croatia and Ireland, as we would in a 4-3-1-2, I'm content.

What I said in the match thread.

Italy played well. Everybody did their best and covered the field. The communication among the defenders should have been better, though, especially between the central defenders and the wing backs. You saw it against Spain, and you see it again today. Balotelli was better, and I hope he'll be better against the Republic of Ireland. Oh, Prandelli, please, stay away from Montolivo. You see that the role Motta did just disappeared when he was taken off.

Chiellini has blamed himself after the match. On the other hand, I think it was a result of the system: 3-5-2 is new, and not everybody is already familiar with the system, including Giaccherini on the left flank.

Anyway, time to think forward for the match against Republic of Ireland who will be able to be a banana skin. Italy shouldn't think about Spain vs Croatia. Italy have nothing to lose now. If they are out, they have only themselves to blame. Everybody knows this. So, whatever will be, will be. If they have to go out, they may as well go out with a straight head.

Barzagli will return, and even if he's only 80% fit, I can see Prandelli will bet everything he has. He already said he wouldn't change the system. So, Bonucci will play the libero role. (He's not a central defender like Chiellini or Barzagli in my opinion.) I would drop Giaccherini and let Balzaretti play. I would take Motta out and put De Rossi there. The former is, while good, sluggish like a slug. The latter will provide some dynamic. I would retain the others.

I believe my suggestion will do good until Prandelli decides it's time to bring the number 18.

It wouldn't be match fixing... just one of those matches where one results favours both teams involved.

Wasn't Buffon talking about how "white draws" are perfectly fine just a few days ago?

I bet a 2-2 draw between Spain and Croatia wouldn't be that white now ;)

Seriously though, even IF it will happen (again...), Italy will have to take it and shut up. Not just because such stuff happens almost in every Serie A matchday from february/march onwards, but mainly because it's their fault if they STILL have to hope other teams don't go for a specific result.

A draw against Spain was fine, today's draw against Croatia was a suicide... They basically didn't show up for the second half, and squandered a couple of great chances in the first half. A better/more cynical side would have brought it home comfortably. They threw it away and if that's the best they can do, goodbye.

It wouldn't be match fixing... just one of those matches where one results favours both teams involved.

Wasn't Buffon talking about how "white draws" are perfectly fine just a few days ago?

I bet a 2-2 draw between Spain and Croatia wouldn't be that white now ;)

Seriously though, even IF it will happen (again...), Italy will have to take it and shut up. Not just because such stuff happens almost in every Serie A matchday from february/march onwards, but mainly because it's their fault if they STILL have to hope other teams don't go for a specific result.

A draw against Spain was fine, today's draw against Croatia was a suicide... They basically didn't show up for the second half, and squandered a couple of great chances in the first half. A better/more cynical side would have brought it home comfortably. They threw it away and if that's the best they can do, goodbye.

Martin Jørgensen said the something along these lines about Buffon after his Euro 2004 statements about a fix between Denmark and Sweden in Jørgensen's book:

Both Jørgensen and Buffon are tested for drugs after a Serie A match against Fiorentina and Juventus:

Jørgensen: "You do realize we never fixed that match, don't you?"

Buffon: "Of course. But what were we supposed to do? We needed a scape goat because of our failure to qualify. The Italian public was going to crucify us."

Ironic, isn't it? :)

I, for one, believe Jørgensen's story's true.

I, for one, believe Jørgensen's story's true.

It all depends on how you define "fixing".

To me that 2-2 was a no-brainer, but both teams played a reasonably "fair" game... Only Sweden's late equaliser was somewhat questionable, but let's say I've seen much worse "fixing".

To the Italian fans/media it was a huge scandal, mainly because Sweden and Denmark are usually regarded as highly-civilized countries.

But of course they just needed a diversion, or indeed a scapegoat to justify a colossal failure... Two mediocre draws against average opposition and a tricky late win against group's whipping boys Bulgaria was hardly worth of praise and definitely too little to advance. But blaming it on the "Danish cookie" worked a charm.

So monday's games will be just the same... A great excuse to sweep a likely failure under the rug.

Haha, you know he isn't moving De Rossi from defence yeh? Bonucci will be the one dropped for Barzagli.

I think he needs to change Giaccherini. Two bad games now, so needs to go. I'd leave the midfield as it is, that's been pretty good.

The rumours on Diamanti are a concern - not even close to being good enough for this level.

Haha, you know he isn't moving De Rossi from defence yeh? Bonucci will be the one dropped for Barzagli.

I'd hope he would, De Rossi was only put there because of Barzagli's injury, and as explained below I'd like him in midfield.

I think he needs to change Giaccherini. Two bad games now, so needs to go. I'd leave the midfield as it is, that's been pretty good.

The rumours on Diamanti are a concern - not even close to being good enough for this level.

Giaccherini was probably used there to have a hard worker on against Spain, then survived against Croatia because he had a good game.

The midfield was changed because Thiago Motta looked ****ing exhausted for the last two matches, but I think he's been very good for 50 minutes or so in both previous games. Thiago Motta and Giaccherini from the bench would be good options to have actually, I approve.

Archived