Some quick 'fixes' for defence...anyone?

Hi all just wondering if anyone can offer me any quick 'fix' for a leaky defence.

Manager of France and PSg, both us the same tactic, however PSG also have a second one. All tactics have a back 4, extra psg one has a dm as well. Problem is that simultaneously they both started to leak goals for fun. We had got to December, France going okay, psg just gone top....then it started, we would score then concede right away due to sleepy defenders.

Any advice appreciated?

i just keep match prep at attacking and then try to keep your 2 cb and goalie the same for every match as much as you can, if you keep chopping and changing the backline then you'll concede some sloppy goals. i concede about 15 - 20 league goals per season as Inter.

Do you use Areola in goal? I bought him in december as Inter (first season), gave him some match time, now 4 years later he is close to being best GK in the game!

Hi all just wondering if anyone can offer me any quick 'fix' for a leaky defence.

Manager of France and PSg, both us the same tactic, however PSG also have a second one. All tactics have a back 4, extra psg one has a dm as well. Problem is that simultaneously they both started to leak goals for fun. We had got to December, France going okay, psg just gone top....then it started, we would score then concede right away due to sleepy defenders.

Any advice appreciated?

Depends on who your defenders are and what tactic you play.

Personally I prefer to have a big/fast combination. A pacy defender on 'Cover' zonally marking, and a big ariel defender on stopper/ball playing to challenge the striker and break up attacks, or at least put on enough pressure that the covering defender can intercept.

I'd also encourage your fullbacks/wingbacks to close down very often as they don't tend to harry players much otherwise.

DL/DR: Closing Down 15, Man Marking, No Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 6-10, Att-Def 8, Passing 12-15

DCL: Closing Down 7-10, Man Marking, Yes Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 6-8, Att-Def 8, Passing 6-10 [stopper]

DCR: Closing Down 5-7, Zonal Marking, No Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 4-6, Att-Def 4-6, Passing 4-6 [Covering]

Depends on who your defenders are and what tactic you play.

Personally I prefer to have a big/fast combination. A pacy defender on 'Cover' zonally marking, and a big ariel defender on stopper/ball playing to challenge the striker and break up attacks, or at least put on enough pressure that the covering defender can intercept.

I'd also encourage your fullbacks/wingbacks to close down very often as they don't tend to harry players much otherwise.

DL/DR: Closing Down 15, Man Marking, No Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 6-10, Att-Def 8, Passing 12-15

DCL: Closing Down 7-10, Man Marking, Yes Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 6-8, Att-Def 8, Passing 6-10 [stopper]

DCR: Closing Down 5-7, Zonal Marking, No Tight Marking, Creative Freedom 4-6, Att-Def 4-6, Passing 4-6 [Covering]

very clear and helpful, thank you, but how do i see numbers?

very clear and helpful, thank you,

No problem! Good luck :)

but how do i see numbers?

I have a very good skin that lets you see them.

Otherwise just guess. It's out of 20 total, so:

1/4 along the slider is ~5,

2/4 along is ~10

3/4 along is ~15

etc.

Another thing you might like to consider is setting your keeper to 'Defender collect' and telling him to pass either of your LB/RB with 'short' passing and creative freedom at 'Low'.

I say this because in this version I find that a lot of goals come after your goalkeeper hoofs it up the pitch, the opposition defender knocks it back and your defenders are left exposed - having rushed forward after the kick.

Set the Philosophy to Rigid too.

All that would do is make Att-Def more dependent on player's starting position and lower Creative Freedom across the board. It won't change his defender's actions if he's already got them on manual settings.

Considering PSG and France are high level teams I expect the pressure is to win therefore he likely has quite an attacking set-up(?). If so setting his philosophy to 'Rigid' will make his midfielders help out his defence even less, not more.

Considering PSG and France are high level teams I expect the pressure is to win therefore he likely has quite an attacking set-up(?).

Play a 4-0-3-1-2 At france and PSG. That being 3 CM's and then a CAM...width comes from the back

with the 2nd PSG tactic being 4-1-2-2-1

Yeah without using a DM I would more likely go fluid or even very fluid with strong teams such as PSG. It is always difficult to give advice with knowing the specifics of a team but with very strong teams I also prefer zonal marking in most cases.

There is also an option to tighten up immediately after scoring by either using shouts or just lowering mentality. You have to take into account that conceding a goal can fire a team up or force them into opening up.

Play a 4-0-3-1-2 At france and PSG. That being 3 CM's and then a CAM...width comes from the back

with the 2nd PSG tactic being 4-1-2-2-1

Does that mean attacking fullbacks without a DM to cover? Not saying that can't work but is not something I would try as I would imagine that in itself would leave you exposed.

Does that mean attacking fullbacks without a DM to cover? Not saying that can't work but is not something I would try as I would imagine that in itself would leave you exposed.

Well one full back at the time goes up, they seem to have a good understanidng. Plus one of the CM's are set to defend to we rarely get caught out.

Archived