Tycoon Takeovers

West Ham were taken over by a Spanish Tycoon in my recent save(currently in the year 2026). They won the FA Cup soon after, beating Manchester United in the final 2-1, but are struggling in the new season and sit 10th in the league after spending £76M in the summer.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can put Man United in debt, whilst still keeping your job, you will always get a tycoon take you over. I got United in huge debts and then got a tycoon take me over and give me £500m. I suppose if United needed a buyer who could get them for cheap in real life they would probably get a tycoon anyway as they would be in huge demand.

After 5 years of being a sugar daddy, my chairman has just withdrawn his funding! However, he has still given me a huge transfer budget for the next season (I'm in June). £97m in the bank though... luckily I had bought a lot of high potential players, which should keep us going without the need for large investment.

yea but i meant anyone seen big tycoon takeovers for any team around the year 2029?

What significance would that have? Neither takeovers nor their kind are precoded that far into the future. Only clubs which are for sale will also be taken over quickly in the game. Other than that, some attributes of the chairmen are responsible for the amount of time before they get tired of the club and sell it. What kind of takeover then happens, is pure chance with the odds for a tycoon one being the worst.

So nothing which happens in or around 2029 in other people's saves can be used to predict what may or may not happen in yours.

can you still get a tycoon takeover at your club, if your small but with 73m in the bank?

As far as I'm aware, the kind of takeover is not related to what position your clubs finds itself in. However I guess the likelihood of a tycoon takeover is well impacted by the club's reputation.

Had a tycoon before but wouldn't want one again. It just gave me the freedom to buy pretty much whoever I wanted. I like to buy young or cheap players and turn them into stars. If my club become good then I like to think most of it is down to what I have done. The tycoon took that away from me.

See what you mean but just because you had the funds to purchase big players doesn't mean you have to.

Airdrie on fm10 game ended up with an italian tycoon.

Took them four seasons to get out the first division, the chairman there just seemed to pour money in every season. Their transfer budget matched celtic's at the time.

This might be slightly off topic, but can I add my own tycoons with the editor? I know I can add non-players, but I can't set them specific as club owners or anything like that as far as I know. It would be more fun to see headlines like "Bill Gates buys Fulham FC" than some made up dutch tycoon.

Monterrey in Mexico have just had a tycoon takeover on my save and PSV have had one on the missus game. In my game it looked like a tycoon was going to takeover an Algerian side but in the end the takeover failed.

• 1 month later...

Im half way through an MLS season and I had most leagues already loaded and suddenly decided Id load the South African league up to. Prob not the smartest thing ive ever done considering the problems doing that can cause but did it anyway. Seems ok.....but one thing i noticed instantly was after clicking to progress to next day, every team in the league had the old transfer embargo message saying there about to be taken over.

anyone else had this? find it odd every team in the south african league would be having a take over currently happening.

staying on topic, ive never had a club im at get taken over but happens to other clubs constantly. Never noticed it making much difference though and I get no messages saying theyve got millions to spend like the image above in this thread. Would be an exciting addition to the new FM.

Would like to see Portsmouth and Rangers being an exciting challenge to take on in the new FM. But I get the feeling it will be similar to the current FM where they just get a new board and continue life as a normall club. In real life right now Portsmouth has 5 players listed as official squad members on there website (3 of them transfer listed and set to leave). Theyve had to play there friendlies with a load of Kids + a few trialists. Nobody knows whether the club will survive. I get the feeling on FM13 though theyll simply get a new board within days of game start and then sign a few people and live happily ever after as a normal club.

If one happens at my club, I tend to resign and pretend talks between myself and the new tycoon chairman have gone badly.

It is one way to ruin save imo. If you have never been in the position before, it's good fun, but after a few seasons first time, it does get boring.

Had a Tycoon takeover on FM11 with QPR while in the Championship. We reached the playoffs, but I deliberately lost the final to stay in the Championship, so that the reputation was a bit lower and that players of high reputation wouldn't be interested. Built a young, British side, obliterated the league, then quit. Even making it that bit more sensible by avoiding promotion and big-name players, it was still boring.

Playing as Athletic Club now on FM12, and it's like having a Tycoon as I've got £120m to spend, and the board still insist on adding to it during the season, but as it is money we have earned rather than been given, I'm not as inclined to spend it - not as though there is anyone to buy in 2017/18 anyway.

If one happens at my club, I tend to resign and pretend talks between myself and the new tycoon chairman have gone badly.

It is one way to ruin save imo. If you have never been in the position before, it's good fun, but after a few seasons first time, it does get boring.

Erm, you don't have to spend the money just because you're given it.

Had one in FM09 or 10 at Rangers. Was really fun as I could reach my goals quicker and look more towards our academy.

I can't get one atm as I'm playing in the Bundesliga, wouldn't need one anyways.

In my save though as far as I can tell, only Nottingham Forrest and Rangers have tycoons. Rangers just got one in 2020, and instantly boosted up to 'Continental' rep and starting signing heaps of players. Hopefully they get back on track and start winning things. I subscribe to them so found out they improved both facilities too.

I had a tycoon at Chievo in FM11 last year and they threw money at us, even in serie c. Currently I'm managing in Norway on '12 and AI managed club Brann had a tycoon takeover 6 seasons ago, cue the 6 year domination of Norwegian football league & cup and regular appearances in the CL knock-outs.

Erm, you don't have to spend the money just because you're given it.

Imagine a team in real life having a multimillion pound takeover, and given say a £200m transfer budget, then the club's manager decides he doesn't want to spend any of it cause it would be boring/to easy. I'd imagine the chairman stepping in and investing into the team. For me, it makes the game feel more realistic and enjoyable to leave.

Also, in real life, following heavy investment into a club, how many managers actually stay on? 25% or less i'd say.

Ive only had a tycoon takeover my club once in all versions of fm. Just my luck it was a mess around save where i downloaded one of them lower league structures where england went all the way down to level 11 (from this level it would take either 6 or 7 back to back promotions to get to the blue square north/south level) and i picked a team at the bottom. Low and behold i had a ukranian business man take over and pump money into the club. Only bad things was that i was that low a team (terrible league/reputation) that i couldn't really spend the money on anyone decent lol. I did afford some free players high wages though and walked the league as other teams barely had a squad. Got bored before the season finished and left lol FM 2010 i believe it was...

Not a tycoon, but my already successful Czech team (had won the CL once, next season quarters and season after that lost final) changed owners.

I had already bank account of 60 million, but new owners decided to add to my account another 50 million. In addition to summer transfer market with positive balance of 43 million (3 mil spent, 46 mil earned), I am now in Czech league with around 143 million euro's in the bank after stadium expansion and facilities improvements. This is enough cash reserves to pay the wages of my players for 10 seasons. :D

When a club gets taken over by a tycoon it doesn't really matter that much. I gave Wembley FC a sugar daddy and they struggled to get promoted whereas in real life they'd just buy up the best players from the lower leagues and walk the league.

When a club gets taken over by a tycoon it doesn't really matter that much. I gave Wembley FC a sugar daddy and they struggled to get promoted whereas in real life they'd just buy up the best players from the lower leagues and walk the league.

It doesn't really matter? I really do beg to differ, as I'm sure many other users will.

It wasnt a tycoon of sorts but a consortium, headed by Oliver Beirhof, took over my Hearts save at the end of the first season, cleared a load of debt and chucked in a few million to help fund rebuilding the squad. Also has spent around 15m adding 15k seats to the stadium.

Also, sort of related....I know in older versions the chairman sometimes took matters into his own hands and signed the odd star player....does this still happen?

• 6 months later...

Udinese just been taken over on my game, so quit my job at Cardiff (who i have spend 10 years managing) applied for the job... got it & then 3 months later my tycoon decides to 'withdraw funding' :mad: one of the terms in the contact was 'sign high profile players' :lol: like that gonna happen now!

had it happen on my Andelecht (I know i've spelt that wrong!) game. Had already won the Belgian league 3 years in a row when a tycoon from Saudi Arabia bought the club. Gave me a budget of around $150M, so I decided to bring all the Belgian players overseas back to their home nation. Just signed a 30 years Hazard for next season, cost me $45M! Into my forth year with the tycoon, won the league each year and the cup, 1 Europa league title and runners up in the CL. To memory I only have about 5 players in my squad who aren't Belgian (including a 19yr old Brazilian CB who is just amazing, picked him up for less than $1M a year ago and he's already worth $10M!), so I don't think I'm cheating too much with this extra money!

I had a tycoon takeover my lowly Belarusian side in FM09 or FM10. I were playing Gundos challenge and had just gotten promoted to the top tier in Belarus and this Scottish billionaire bought my club and pumped in cash. Built a new stadium and improved the facilities. I had a transfer kitty of £20M, but the most expensive player who wanted to join me was valued at about £100k. Still, it was fun and I bought up most of the best player who wanted to join and won the league a couple of times. Didn't make much success in Europe though as the kind of players with quality enough to gain progress wouldn't join me. This was before dynamic league reputation anyhow.

playing dafuge challenge with Kettering Town, i had a tycoon takeover at the end of my 4th season, when i was entering championship. And from a club with £60k wage budget and £0 transfer, i have now £450k wage and £11mln for transfers. And my new chairman is ambitious and "he will not rest untill the club will be among best in Europe" (his words) :)

How do you find out if a team is being linked with a takeover? In FM12 I think it was events you ticked in the manage subscriptions for the leagues you picked then you would get messages saying teams were being linked or had a takeover but on FM13 I ticked the finances box in manage subscriptions for the leagues I had selected but I haven't seen one message about takeovers so must be doing something wrong.

playing dafuge challenge with Kettering Town, i had a tycoon takeover at the end of my 4th season, when i was entering championship. And from a club with £60k wage budget and £0 transfer, i have now £450k wage and £11mln for transfers. And my new chairman is ambitious and "he will not rest untill the club will be among best in Europe" (his words) :)

so after a year of having a tycoon as a chairman, my championship campaign ended in success (promotion to Premier League), so he decided to pull the plug... basta*d...

wish there was an easier way to hear about the tycoon takeovers.

Unless im wrong I was told on these forums that the only way is to subscribe to pretty much every team playable in the game. This of course takes a looooooong time!

In FM12 during my 2nd year with Hertha Berlino (escaped relegation by 1 point), an Arabian one came to lead the Club to the 3rd position and to the Champions League.

I've been able to buy players like Bosingwa, Isco, Steven Davis, Nicolas Gaitan, Gazzi, Ciro Immobile and De Jong during the same transfer window.

so after a year of having a tycoon as a chairman, my championship campaign ended in success (promotion to Premier League), so he decided to pull the plug... basta*d...
That is weird that he did it after a sucessful period.

Once when I was St. Johnstone manager in fm 12 Kilmarnock got a mega rich tycoon, spent about 40 million over 4 seasons and even had a string of respectable bosses. They couldn't ever knock me off the top of the table so after a while he withdrew his funding and they got relegated soon after, very satisfying.

I thought then it would only happen after failure.

Just see it as a challenge, you got the lift up there, now you have to do the rest on your own!

Just see it as a challenge, you got the lift up there, now you have to do the rest on your own!

well, i still managed to go shopping and spent £50 mln on new players (god bless installments, and i had deals arranged for around 25 before he pulled the plug)... i even make steady profit every month (round 1-2 mln£), which is surprising, considering the fact my stadium is still at whooping 6,441 capacity.... but i have a new one past the planning stage and it will be built after the current season...

Archived