SI need to sort out the England National team

Seriously, they're awful in my save!

Same here- they haven't done a thing in my long-term save either. The best showing for an England squad in my save is losing the final in the 2023 U-20 World Cup to Brazil.

The game is mostly targeted to an English audience. So obviously they're going to make the English players very very good. Otherwise people would whinge if they took over England and couldn't win a World Cup.

England have always performed well beyond their true ability in FM due to an inherent flaw in the ME, it favours an old school 4-4-2 with pace in attack tactic that suits English players & mental attributes (imo a researcher problem) that are based on club performances whereas English players tend to crumble when they enter the international stage.

At a basic level the match engine is unable to cope with the differing demands of domestic, continental & international football.

I think that English players are individually rated pretty well but the game cannot take into account that when they become a team on the international stage they do not preform anywhere near what they can at club level.

They are second in the world in my save (2023). Won the WC in 2014. The best English players in the game are all absolute world class - which they aren't in reality. I'm surprised if they qualify for the knockout stages of the European Championship this summer.

Who should win 2014 world cup then? Brazil, Germany, Spain. This is what I like about the game is the fact Spurs can dominate the PL or I can get Havant and Waterlooville successive promotions. The game should not mirror reality because then it would not be fun to play.

Then it wouldn't be a football management simulation game?

First season you can win the PL with spurs and no new signings, does this reflect reality? There are tons of unrealistic aspects of the game from league winners, to world cup winners, and prolific goalscorers that is why I love playing the game.

I'm in 2046 on FM2011, how many times have England won the world cup on it? once, in 1966 :p (Ie the RL win). England didn't really get improved in Fm2012 either. It's not unrealistic for England to win, just random is random.

Cyprus has bene pretty awesome in this years version. The issue with the england national team is the players are overrated because of the clubs they play for. John terry needs a big downgrade in speed, positioning and other mental attributes. Even tackling a bit, hes still a very good defender, but IRL he constantly gets beaten for pace leaving him having to make a bad tackle. He, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand all need downgrades. They have certainly degraded a lot in recent years, and this hasnt been reflected in the games.

In the real world what are the chances of England winning the 2014 world cup? They are certainly not one of the favorates, but they could win. England is probably about the 10th best team in the world so their chances are winning are probably 2 to 5 percent.

However, I believe it is well accepted that leagues that actually exist in playable form in a FM save tend to generate better players and players who do better at reaching their potential. I would venture to say that a large plurality, if not a majority, of FM saves include the English premier league as an active league. So I will go with the 5% chance to win.

Finally, how many FM saves have been played through the 2014 world cup. According to vgchartz.com (I have no idea how reliable they are but they are good enough for these purposes) the sales of FM 2012 is 1.18 copies worldwide as of May 19, 2012. I suspect a majority of the purchasers actually play the game but for simplicity sake say 500,000 of us play it seriously. If the average serious player has taken one save three years deep into the game that would mean 500,000 2014 world cups so, using my guesses, that would be enough to have around 25,000 English victories. That number is more than high enough to fill the boards with people commenting on how this unlikely result has suprisingly occurred.

As an experiment, how about checking your most recent save to complete the 2014 world cup and report the winning squad here. I will start. In my save it was won by (got to check now) Germany over Spain in extra time.

England have always performed well beyond their true ability in FM due to an inherent flaw in the ME, it favours an old school 4-4-2 with pace in attack tactic that suits English players & mental attributes (imo a researcher problem) that are based on club performances whereas English players tend to crumble when they enter the international stage.

At a basic level the match engine is unable to cope with the differing demands of domestic, continental & international football.

Excellent analysis!!

I think that English players are individually rated pretty well but the game cannot take into account that when they become a team on the international stage they do not preform anywhere near what they can at club level.

Or most of the best players in the EPL arent English and the researchers unintentionally overrate English players at the expense of the other nations.

Then it wouldn't be a football management simulation game?

FM isnt really a football management simulation. IRL, a majority of a managers time is spent on the practice field, in the film room and formulating strategy for upcoming matches. Virtually none of our time we spend playing FM involves this.

Serbia just won the world cup. They beat Argentina, Brazil, and England (me) on the way to their title.

Of course they went and lost their first euro qualifier at home 3-2 to Slovenia.

Individually england's current team has had players who were quality individually but didn't perform well as a team. FM doesn't really reflect that I guess. But its not like England win everything in every person's save.

I'm in 2018/19 season and England have been ranked no 1 for last 3 seasons but lost last tournament in the group stages. Rafa left his post cause off this after 6 months but now have got Ancelotti. The England team is now made up off players who are past it and players who don't warrent to be anywhere near a england shirt, they have also gone through loads of managers.

On my save England reached the semi-finals of the 2014 WC & were losing finalists at the 2018 event, 2nd rd & QF's in next 5 WC.

They have faired much better in the Euro's:

2012 SF

2016 Winners (beat Wales in the final??)

2020 QF

2024 R2

2028 Didn't get out of their group

2032 Beaten finalists

2036 Beaten finalists

Looking at the past winners page Spain have been dominant at the Euro's winning 4 out of 7 played, the World Cup has been more varied; Brazil (2), Argentina (1), France (2), Nigeria (1) & Algeria (1)

I have just noticed that in the last 5 WC's Algeria have 1 win, 2 second places, 1 third place finish & they were eliminated from the group of death in 2034 - matched up with Mexico, Brazil & Portugal, looks like they're doing something right.

In my game England didnt even qualify for the 2014 WC - they were knocked out in the playoff section against Spain (both finished 2nd in their group - spain then led by me went on to win the WC).

I'd say the problem is that England do have decent players in real life but they just never seem to perform like they do for their clubs when playing for England and this is prob hard to replicate in FM (maybe need another hidden stat for international performance for the game to consider as important game stats could be high for performing well in big club games).

The problem isn't that English players are overrated. The problem is that, outside the big teams, players in countries outside England are generally underrated, so their international squads have no depth.

England in the World Cup 2014 on my FM12 save were knocked out in the group stages, opponents were Portugal, Colombia, both ended in 0-1 defeats and USA. So not really a tough group tbh.

Got several other saves on 2012 but havent got up to the World Cup on them yet.

Argentina won the 2014 world cup on my save. England usually become the best team probably because when the best regens hit 20/21 they are usually unhappy at the other big clubs so I snap them up and keep playing them so they hit very close to their PA. Sadly, for England anyway, I was managing France as well when 2018 came round and I dumped them out at the Semi Final stage to send 8 of my Aston Villa team to defeat.

So far France and Brazil seem to produce the best regens from what I have noticed. Stade Rennais seem to produce most of the French players on their own and I can never afford to buy them.

Or most of the best players in the EPL arent English and the researchers unintentionally overrate English players at the expense of the other nations.

Hardly, I think the ratings are correct for the players on the EPL stage. You don't see many English players abroad though. We don't have the versatility to handle different cultural styles of play. Unless they do a stat-shifting balance that makes each league require specific attributes to succeed in then we'll probably continue to see England do 'ok' in FM.

They are ridiculously good and just won the 2014 world cup. They need to be handicapped artifically unless a human is controlling them. its just so stupid it makes me angry :mad:

They're ridiculously BAD on mine! Almost down to 30 in the world rankings. Southgate is the manager. God help them with pens!

History would suggest that England are much much more likely to not qualify for International tournaments than they are to win them, is this trend reflected in the game? If not i'd suggest that they are overrated. If on the other hand they miss out fairly regularly, then their ratings are probably ok imo.

I've not seen them fail to qualify in any of my games, so in my experience I think they are overrated.

History would suggest that England are much much more likely to not qualify for International tournaments than they are to win them, is this trend reflected in the game? If not i'd suggest that they are overrated. If on the other hand they miss out fairly regularly, then their ratings are probably ok imo.

I've not seen them fail to qualify in any of my games, so in my experience I think they are overrated.

Considering that they've only not qualified for three World Cups in total (out of 16), and missed out on just 5 Euros (out of 13), I'd say they have a better record of qualifying than not.

With the exception of Brazil all teams are more likely not to qualify than they are to win.

Archived