• Lewandowski
    • Ashley Young (!)
    • Balotelli
    • Kerzhakov
    • Torres lolz
    • Ibraminovic
    • Striker from Croatia/Ireland/Denmark, etc
    • John Terry
    • Midfield you smugly thought of and no one else did!
    • "at the end of the day football is the winner" (Other)

Is it going to be one of those things with someone hits a hat trick in the group stages and then ends up top scorer on 5?

In that case maybe Ledonowski but you don't think of stand out candidates and the usual suspects cause of some tough groups.

RvP? Ronaldo (nah), Germans, Spanish like Torres lolz so it's a tough pick. What chance a midfielder finishing top scorer? Maybe Ashley Young amirite??

p.s. I have no idea how to add a poll but who cares about polls anyway?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at Group A I wouldn't be surprised if it was Lewandowski or a Russian. Pretty much always either someone who bags a few against a poor team in the group stages or someone who plays for the winner/runner-up and scores 1 in each round. Normally only need 4/5 goals to be top scorer.

So Lewandowski for me.

If I were a betting man, Lewandowski would be a very good shout. Coming off a fantastic season, Poland aren't in that tough a group and I think the Golden Boot might be around 4/5 goals and I can see him getting around 3 in the Group Stages and Poland progressing to the KO stages.

KJH would've been my predo, if I were certain he'd be Holland's starting striker.

also why is 41-goal Gomez no option?

Because its an important international game in a prestigious tournament. Gomez doesn't score in those ;)

RvP I think

I'd have Huntelaar in instead of V.Persie. I know that this is a mainly English based forum and he was the star of the Premiership last season, but Huntelaar is the main striker for the Dutch team. He's the poacher while V.Persie players off of him. For example Huntlaar netted 12 goals in the qualifying group and then V.Persie and Kuyt managed six each. I imagine the ratios of goals scored by each will be similar during the tournament.

Benzema or Muller for me. Don't see Poland going far, so surprised so many have voted he would be top scorer.

Because Poland have by far the weakest group and quite often the top scorer is decided by a player who bags a load against one of the smaller teams.

Yeah Kerzhakov probably a better shout now I think about it, as he's in the same group but has much better players around him. Will probably put money on both of them.

I do still expect Poland to go through 2nd in their group though, reckon they're better than the Greeks and Czechs.

The Czechs are pretty poor having seen them against us where we really should have beaten them twice but for bad luck and shambolic tactics in Prague. I have a sneaky feeling Greece are going to find their way through, definite dark horse of the group with Russia being the favourites for me to top it.

I lived in CZ for the last five years and they were dreadful the whole time I was there. They had their "golden generation" which peaked in NL/BE but don't have anywhere near as much young talent coming through these days. Think they may be even weaker than Greece man for man. Can see Poland maybe even winning the group because Russia have been completely impotent as an attacking force. Can see them drawing a couple of their games possibly 0-0. Their league is very defensive and low-scoring too so would make sense if it reflected on the national team. Genuinely think Poland may be the best team in the group because of the Dortmund trio along with the best 'keeper in the group (tho Akinfeev and Cech are also pretty awesome), which is key at this level. With the home advantage I see it as Poland 1st with either Greece or Russia in 2nd depending on which manages to win a game. Wouldn't be shocked if at least one of those two finished with three draws.

Benzema or Muller for me. Don't see Poland going far, so surprised so many have voted he would be top scorer.

have a decent team with some great players and play at home. I think them getting at least to the second round is not that much of a stretch.

also why is 41-goal Gomez no option?

I did have him in originally but wasn't sure he'd be 100% starter and already had another German option so wanted to spread it amongst the teams and put a comedy John Terry entry in there too

does Pogrebnyak play upfront for Russia? was quite sharp in the Premiership for the few months he was at Fulham, might be a possiblity

I'm thinking Huntelaar or Benzema myself though, depending on how France and Holland do in the tournament

does Pogrebnyak play upfront for Russia? was quite sharp in the Premiership for the few months he was at Fulham, might be a possiblity

I'm thinking Huntelaar or Benzema myself though, depending on how France and Holland do in the tournament

Think Kerzakov will play upfront for Russia. I don't think Pogrebynak will start for them.

Archived