Rubbish teams winning World Cup

The problem you have is it is players at club level that are rated by the researchers. Not at international level. For example nations like Scotland and Ireland have many players, playing week in and week out in the top two divisions of England. You put those together (especially if you only run English leagues) these guys are going to make a decent National Side.

I have Ghana as the current world champions on my save (I'm at 2017, FM11 game), but on an older FM (07 I think?) I saw Turkey lifting the trophy and then failing to qualify for the next world cup. Also that save got Georgia as European Champions, somewhere on the 2020s.

BTW, Ghana final group at CAF qualifiers is them along Tunisia, Angola and Zambia, with Tunisia having a hell of a newgen striker :p

2042 - China

Although Qatar hosting a second tournament is probably just as unlikely.

You obviously have more trust in FIFA than I do.:D

I'm disappointed that I'm in 2032 and my major tournaments finalists etc are pretty boring and predictable. I want quite like to see a small country like Uruguay (sorry bababui couldn't resist) win a major tournament. Although strangely Brazil have only reached the final 3 in 1 of 5 World Cups.

Is it not possible IRL that Scotland will be world beaters in 2030 or so? They used to be good-ish, and with a few good new players they'd be qualifying for stuff again, I'm sure.

Such things work in cycles.

As noted above Uruguay are 2 time WC Champs; 15 time Copa America Champs; finished 4th in the 2010 WC; won the 2011 Copa America. I would say they are not rubbish.

Never said they were rubbish, just that they're the worst team to have won the World Cup on my game. However, may as well reply in detail.

They won 2 World Cups, the most recent of which was over 60 years ago. They won the Copa America last year, giving them a total of 2 wins in 25 years. They came 4th in the 2010 world cup, overcoming the mighty South Korea and Ghana (and had to cheat to do that). All things considered, they'd be lucky to be in the top 8 most likely countries to win the next World Cup.

Wait until the end of the Euros - seriously. See who wins. Everyone is expecting a big team like Spain, Germany, or A.N.Other but it could be someone totally unexpected. IT happens.

Is it not possible IRL that Scotland will be world beaters in 2030 or so? They used to be good-ish, and with a few good new players they'd be qualifying for stuff again, I'm sure.

Such things work in cycles.

The fact that England haven't even come close to winning a World Cup for over 40 years, and that Scotland are effectively a worse version of England makes me think it's incredibly unlikely that Scotland will have won a World Cup by 2030. Scotland don't even qualify for tournaments anymore, and even when they were better, I don't believe Scotland have ever progressed passed a first round in a World Cup. Perhaps it's not 'impossible' for Scotland to win a World Cup, but the frequency with which Scotland win World Cups in FM is unrealistic.

Wait until the end of the Euros - seriously. See who wins. Everyone is expecting a big team like Spain, Germany, or A.N.Other but it could be someone totally unexpected. IT happens.

Greece a few years back, you meen!!!

South Korea just beat Germany 3-1 in the 2042 World Cup final on my game. In the group stage they beat Argentina 5-1... With a team of almost only greyed out players.

On FM08, though.

Archived