A Story of a Thousand Miles Must Begin With a Single Step

DazRTaylor

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MID SEASON REVIEW

Champions League

I qualified for the knockout stages at a canter. I won 5 games, drawing the other - the rest managed just 2 wins between them in the group stage. I have drawn FC Porto, first leg away, in the first knockout round.

League

If we don't win the league title from here, I deserve to be sacked. The goals scored column is particularly satisfying.

barclayspremierleagueovf.png

F. A. Cup

We have drawn Reading, away from home in the third round.

Carling Cup

I played a reasonably strong side, yet still lost at home to Manchester United at the first time of asking, 1-0, in round three.

PLAYERS

Players In

I did most of my shopping in the summer, so this will be a quiet month for me, despite the board randomly increasing my transfer budget to £45m. Three new faces, all young players found by my scouts. I will endeavour to find temporary homes for them as they are not ready for my first team just yet.

Carlos Chavex - Young Paraguayan right back arriving from Libertad in his homeland. I cant loan this chap out as he has also arrived injured. This one has a broken leg.

Geir Hakon Ingvaldsen - 18 year old Norwegian attacking midfielder who leaves Sogndal for North London.

Otar Kvaratskhelia - Another 18 year old, this Georgian centre half arrives from Torpedo Kutaisi.

Players Out

Only one departure of note. I have agreed the sale of Davide Santon to Manchester City for £29m.

You got some of the best players in the world, very nice! :thup:

I do indeed - I have quite a few whose biography starts "xxxxxx is truly one of football's global superstars..."

That said, as soon as I win the Champions League, I am off. :)

END OF SEASON REVIEW

SEASON 2017-18

Quite simply, the best season I have ever had in the history of Football Manager.

Champions League

Porto were beaten 2-0 on aggregate in the first knockout round (0-0 away, 2-0 at home), Marseille 5-1 on aggregate in the quarter finals (2-0 away, 3-1 at home) which set up an intriguing semi final against Real Madrid's conquerors Paris St. Germain. The first leg was in France and we were 2-0 down at half time. I laid into the team and sent them back out and we pulled it back in a way by only losing 4-3. We battered them at home, winning 3-0 for a comprehensive 6-3 aggregate victory. We met Valencia in the final and won 4-0!!! Champions!!!

League

The Premier League title came home to Arsenal for the first time since the legendary unbeaten 2004 side. It was also great to see Wigan have a fantastic season, qualifying for the Champions League again. See Former Club Watch at the bottom of this review for full details of their brilliant season.

barclayspremierleagueovt.png

F. A. Cup

Reading away in the third round saw a close game but we preveiled 3-2. A truly awful performance in the fourth round saw us lucky to draw 1-1 at home to Championship side Huddersfield. We were better in the replay and won 2-0. League One Coventry were hammered 4-0 at home in the fifth round with another Championship outfit, Middlesbrough, beaten 3-0 at the Riverside in the quarter finals. Extra time was needed to see off Birmingham in the semi finals as it was 1-1 after 90 minutes. An extra time goial saw us through to the final and Manchester United by winning 2-1. The final itself was a drab encounter and we won with a Jack Wilshere penalty for a 1-0 win to win the double!

Carling Cup

We were already eliminated at the mid season review.

PLAYERS

Player of the Season

Serdar Donumcu was brilliant all season. 33 goals in such a glory year is the stuff of legends.

serdardnmcoverviewprofi.png

Special Mention

Toni Kroos is a very under rated player. He does a lot of the donkey work and it was therefore great to see him voted Player of the Season in England.

tonikroosoverviewprofil.png

On a personal level, I am now the sixth best English manager of all time!

gamecareerhalloffamenat.png

FORMER CLUB WATCH

Wigan had a phenomenal season. With Arsenal winning the Champions League, it is fantastic to see Wigan win the Europa League!

Perugia

[u][b]Season       Champions League   Europa League         Final League Position            Coppa Italia               Serie C Cup[/b][/u]
2011-12             N/a              N/a              3rd Italian Serie C2/B (P)            N/a                   Group stage
2012-13             N/a              N/a              5th Italian Serie C1/B           1st qualifying round       1st round
2013-14             N/a              N/a             18th Italian Serie C1/B (R)       1st qualifying round       Group stage
2014-15             N/a              N/a              4th Italian Serie C2/A (P)            N/a                   2nd round
2015-16             N/a              N/a             12th Italian Serie C1/B           2nd qualifying round       1st round
2016-17             N/a              N/a              8th Italian Serie C1/B                N/a                   1st round
2017-18             N/a              N/a              6th Italian Serie C1/B           2nd qualifying round       1st round

Hartlepool United

[u][b]Season       Champions League    Europa League         Final League Position            F. A. Cup                  Carling Cup           Johnstone's Paint Trophy[/b][/u]
2012-13             N/a               N/a              1st English League Two (P)       1st round                  1st round                     2nd round
2013-14             N/a               N/a              1st English League One (P)       Quarter final              1st round                     2nd round
2014-15             N/a               N/a             15th English Championship         3rd round                  2nd round                     N/a
2015-16             N/a               N/a             15th English Championship         3rd round                  1st round                     N/a
2016-17             N/a               N/a              9th English Championship         3rd round                  2nd round                     N/a
2017-18             N/a               N/a             22nd English Championship (R)     5th round                  2nd round                     N/a

Wigan Athletic

[u][b]Season       Champions League    Europa League         Final League Position            F. A. Cup                  Carling Cup[/b][/u]
2014-15             N/a               N/a              6th English Premier League       4th round                  Runners Up
2015-16             N/a          Quarter finals        4th English Premier League       5th round                  Winners
2016-17      Quarter final            N/a              5th English Premier League       4th round                  3rd round
2017-18             N/a          Winners               3rd English Premier League       5th round                  Semi final

Wow. Surprised you stepped down!!!!

Nice to see Wigan lift the Europa League.

I was always going to leave once I won the Champions League.

Where I am now is what really frustrates me with this game. I am currently rated the best manager in the game, one of only four with "World Class" as reputation. Yet I was turned down by both Lyon AND Lille for the manager job! Unbelieveable.

AROUND THE WORLD

As this game is now six years old, I thought I would show the competition winners around the world. So, starting with the international tournaments, I will also post the winners for the major club tournaments and domestic leagues and their competitions. If you want screenies of anything, just ask.

World Cup

fifaworldcuphistorypast.png

European Championship

uefaeuropeanchampionshi.png

Copa America

copaamricahistorypastwi.png

African Cup of Nations

africancupofnationshist.png

VALENCIA

Valencia_CF_logo.png

EstadioMestalla01.jpg

Club - Valencia

Nation - Spain

League - LIGA BBVA (top tier)

Stadium - Nuevo Mestalla

Capacity - 75,000

Corporate Facilities - Top

Training Facilities - Top

Youth Facilities - State of the Art

Junior Coaching - Average

Youth Recruitment - Established

Media Prediction - 1st

My expectation - 3rd. From where we are, I can't see us overhauling the big two.

Transfer Budget - £204,000,000. An eye watering amount I am looking forward to spending!

Wage Budget - £2,190,446

The board have already said they will not be judging me on any competition this season so the pressure is off. So, as with Arsenal, I will be spending big in January. I will also sniff around Arsenal for any of their players who are proven to me.

Champions League

Valencia have a relatively simple group on paper and it is proving such. The group table shows we have nearly qualified for the first knockout round.

League

Shocking. Enough said.

ligabbvaoverviewstages.png

Squad

Some decent players but some absolute dross too. A huge clearout upcoming I feel. My predecessor clearly didn't have a clue - such a huge fortune to work with yet he didn't sign anyone of note.

valenciacfsadsquadplaye.png

MID SEASON REVIEW

Champions League

As discussed earlier, I was top of my group after four games. A heavy 3-0 loss at Paris St. Germain made it a nervous last game against Fenerbahce. We comfortably beat the Turks 2-0 to win the group. We have drawn Italian side Juventus with the first leg in Italy.

League

We were 12th when I took over in early November and as you can see, we have improved our position though the gap with the league leaders point wise has increased.

ligabbvaoverviewstagesi.png

Copa del Rey

Valencia entered at the fourth round stage and when I joined the club, we were 2-0 up after the first leg, winning away to third tier side Cortiba. We duly beat them 6-0 at home for a comprehensive 8-0 aggregate victory to set up a two legged tie with Malaga. After the first leg, we are 5-0 up. Yes, we won 5-0 in Malaga. Second leg is in a week.

PLAYERS

Players In

I needed a lot of players and I had the financial backing to do it. I spent big

Neymar - Brazil's best player. He refused to come to Arsenal so I am delighted to have signed him for Valencia.

Rostislav Zahalka - The third time I have signed him. An absolute gem.

Georg Bozori - Young Hungarian who I think is ready for first team football. Can play at the back or up front - very useful.

Jose Mendez - One of the best left backs in the world. Agreed to sign for me at Arsenal but was denied a work permit.

Madjid Ghoul - Algerian centre half brought in to provide competition at the back.

Derek McCall - Future England number one brought in as cover.

Gentian Mertiri - Italian defensive midfielder signed from Everton.

Marcos Duarte - Spanish attacking midfielder signed from Manchester City. Returns home after six years in England.

Karol Nowacki - 21 year old Polish midfielder, signed to bolster the squad.

Jorge Campos - No, not the colourful Mexican goalkeeper, but a young Argentine attacking midfielder.

Kiko Fermenia - Right sided Spanish midfielder signed from PSV. He is not my signing as the last manager agreed to his purchase.

Gabriel Dragan - 21 year old Romanian centre half - an exciting prospect.

Pedro Diaz - Young Venezuelan right back with a big future.

Players Out

I have let 11 players leave raising over £70m in fees.

Toth's very good, but 100M or even half that is ridiculous.
Maybe your former boss needed some nice cash. :lol:

It is ridiculous isn't it? :lol:

How's the squad after that much change? Any morale problems?

Squad is fine - no issues with morale. We won three in a row which kind of helped with morale ;)

As I stated on the top thread on this forum, I am really struggling to enjoy Spain. I may well resign at the end of the season and come back later in the save. I may try to win the Champions League at a non 'Big Five Leagues' club next. Ajax or someone like that.

Anyway, this is the player I have been tracking since my Wigan days. I signed him for Wigan but left before he arrived. They then sold him eight months ago for just £16m. Which is ridiculous. He is one of the best Regen players I have ever seen in Football Manager stat wise:

oscaranglomaoverviewpro.png

Angloma's ridiculously good! Maybe not the faster winger ever, but he walk into pretty much any team!

And I'd say stick it out at Valencia for at least another season, I find that first season in can sometimes be really hard, especially when you join after the season's start like you did :) But with a full pre season, you generally can work out the team a bit more. Spain's always going to be one of the hardest leagues to win anyway, unless if you're managing Real Madrid or Barcelona :)

Angloma's ridiculously good! Maybe not the faster winger ever, but he walk into pretty much any team!

And I'd say stick it out at Valencia for at least another season, I find that first season in can sometimes be really hard, especially when you join after the season's start like you did :) But with a full pre season, you generally can work out the team a bit more. Spain's always going to be one of the hardest leagues to win anyway, unless if you're managing Real Madrid or Barcelona :)

Winning isn't the issue. I have played teams before that lose week after week. The lack of fun bothers me somewhat though. ;)

Malaga got a bargain there.

Yes and just made a huge profit as I have finally landed him. Well, come 1 July I will have done.

END OF SEASON REVIEW

SEASON 2018-19

Maybe it is the ease of the game that makes this league no fun? Champions League winners after half a season? Hmmm.

Champions League

My third successive final as a manager and second successive victory following my win with Arsenal last season. Juventus were dispatched in the first knockout round 6-2 on aggregate (3-2 away, 3-0 at home), Bayern Munich were defeated on away goals rule (4-3 loss away, 1-0 win at home) and Lyon were hammered 5-0 on aggregate in the semi final (3-0 away, 2-0 at home). This set up a final against former club Arsenal, who had seen off Tottenham in the semi final. The game was a dour affair but we prevailed 2-1.

League

Whilst I was never going to win the league, a terrific late run of form saw us finish 3rd.

ligabbvaoverviewstages.png

Copa del Rey

Another trophy win. After the 5-0 win at Malaga, we drew 0-0 at home with nthem for a 5-0 aggregate victory. This set up a clash with Athletic Bilbao in the quarter finals, whom we beat 4-2 on aggregate (3-0 at home, 2-1 loss away). In the semis we beat Espanyol comfortably (2-0 away, 3-0 at home) meaning we were to meet Sporting Gijon in a one off game for the final, played at the Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid. We dominated from the off and won 2-0. It should of been five or six though.

PLAYERS

Player of the Season

20 goals in the 28 games he has played for the club since signing in Valencia, most from the right wing, have proved he is one class act.

rostislavzahalkaovervie.png

Special Mention

Georg Bozori may be just a teenager but he is the most gifted Hungarian since Ferenc Puskas. He is adept at the back and up front and had a great five months since he joined in January.

gergbozorioverviewprofi.png

FORMER CLUB WATCH

Perugia

[u][b]Season       Champions League   Europa League         Final League Position            Coppa Italia               Serie C Cup[/b][/u]
2011-12             N/a              N/a              3rd Italian Serie C2/B (P)            N/a                   Group stage
2012-13             N/a              N/a              5th Italian Serie C1/B           1st qualifying round       1st round
2013-14             N/a              N/a             18th Italian Serie C1/B (R)       1st qualifying round       Group stage
2014-15             N/a              N/a              4th Italian Serie C2/A (P)            N/a                   2nd round
2015-16             N/a              N/a             12th Italian Serie C1/B           2nd qualifying round       1st round
2016-17             N/a              N/a              8th Italian Serie C1/B                N/a                   1st round
2017-18             N/a              N/a              6th Italian Serie C1/B           2nd qualifying round       1st round
2018-19             N/a              N/a             14th Italian Serie C1/B           2nd qualifying round       1st round

Hartlepool United

[u][b]Season       Champions League    Europa League         Final League Position            F. A. Cup                  Carling Cup           Johnstone's Paint Trophy[/b][/u]
2012-13             N/a               N/a              1st English League Two (P)       1st round                  1st round                     2nd round
2013-14             N/a               N/a              1st English League One (P)       Quarter final              1st round                     2nd round
2014-15             N/a               N/a             15th English Championship         3rd round                  2nd round                     N/a
2015-16             N/a               N/a             15th English Championship         3rd round                  1st round                     N/a
2016-17             N/a               N/a              9th English Championship         3rd round                  2nd round                     N/a
2017-18             N/a               N/a             22nd English Championship (R)     5th round                  2nd round                     N/a
2018-19             N/a               N/a              3rd English League One (P)       5th round                  3rd round                     2nd round

Wigan Athletic

[u][b]Season       Champions League    Europa League         Final League Position            F. A. Cup                  Carling Cup[/b][/u]
2014-15             N/a               N/a              6th English Premier League       4th round                  Runners Up
2015-16             N/a          Quarter finals        4th English Premier League       5th round                  Winners
2016-17      Quarter final            N/a              5th English Premier League       4th round                  3rd round
2017-18             N/a          Winners               3rd English Premier League       5th round                  Semi final
2018-19      Quarter final            N/a              7th English Premier League       Semi final                 Quarter final

Arsenal

2016-17      Runners up               N/a              2nd English Premier League       Runners up                 3rd round
2017-18      Winners                  N/a              1st English Premier League       Winners                    3rd round
2018-19      Runners up               N/a              1st English Premier League       Runners up                 Semi final

Archived