Working a 3 man midfield with LFC....

Hello chaps (and ladies?!)

In my head, this tactic is beautiful, I can just see it working in my head but I'm not too sure how to incorporate it in to FM. I suppose it's very much like the format AVB used successfully with Porto.

It's a flat 3 midfield with Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard. Lucas would be my little pivot, breaking up play but more importantly recycling the play. Henderson would play as the central playmaker, but would also drop to cover Lucas if Lucas decided to venture forward. Suarez will play as an inverted right winger, tucking in and linking up with Carroll. The space left is the space Gerrard will utilize, with Glen Jonhnson who'll be working his way up.

Stuart Downing will be used to utilize his pace as an option in behind lines, offering his natural width and crossing abilities. Andy Carroll will very much play like Falcao - holding the ball up and finishing off moves.

Beautiful football in my head, just not sure where to start in FM - would very much appreciate your help. So far I've got a general idea;

Lucas : Ball Winning Midfielder : Defend

Henderson : Deep Lying Playmaker : Support

Gerrard : Box to Box Midfielder : Attack (?!?!)

Downing : Winger : Attack

Suarez : Inside Forward : Attack

Carroll : Advanced Forward or Target Man?

....If I do manage to get your help here, I'll corporate it in to the game and provide screenshots/videos to show the progress.

Did you happen to recently read an article on why AVB would be a success with Liverpool? :p

Anyways, I'm using something very similar with my Liverpool save. If it's recycling possession you want (and a high-pressing game), I'd stick Lucas in the DMC slot and make him a DMC (support). The reason for this is that a ball-winning midfielder closes down way too much even on a defend duty and he'll never be where you want him to be to recycle possession. Also, there's no such thing as a box-to-box midfielder on attack duty - B2B is only available with a support duty. My personal advice? Henderson's passing and technique are already pretty good - focus his training on dribbling and quickness so that in the absence of a good passing option he can run at defences himself. Two years into my game and he's an absolute beast in an advanced playmaker role next to Gerrard as a box-to-box (support).

Carroll as a target man makes sense on paper, but the game doesn't handle target men very well IMO - I had far better success with Suarez playing as a trequartista upfront with another inside-forward cutting in from the right. Last bit of advice - Downing has hilariously bad flair. If all you want is him stretching the play and sending in nice crosses from wide, set him to a support duty. Hope some of that will be useful!

Did you happen to recently read an article on why AVB would be a success with Liverpool? :p

Anyways, I'm using something very similar with my Liverpool save. If it's recycling possession you want (and a high-pressing game), I'd stick Lucas in the DMC slot and make him a DMC (support). The reason for this is that a ball-winning midfielder closes down way too much even on a defend duty and he'll never be where you want him to be to recycle possession. Also, there's no such thing as a box-to-box midfielder on attack duty - B2B is only available with a support duty. My personal advice? Henderson's passing and technique are already pretty good - focus his training on dribbling and quickness so that in the absence of a good passing option he can run at defences himself. Two years into my game and he's an absolute beast in an advanced playmaker role next to Gerrard as a box-to-box (support).

Carroll as a target man makes sense on paper, but the game doesn't handle target men very well IMO - I had far better success with Suarez playing as a trequartista upfront with another inside-forward cutting in from the right. Last bit of advice - Downing has hilariously bad flair. If all you want is him stretching the play and sending in nice crosses from wide, set him to a support duty. Hope some of that will be useful!

Wanted to try and make it my own, rather than just paste the link and expect you all to read it, but yes, you're right, I have ;o)

All of this makes sense, and recycling possession will be my aim. I've just had 3 days off work soaking up the sun so won't be able to put your suggestions in to practise but as soon as I do, I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes. Just out of interest, who do you have on the wings?

Wanted to try and make it my own, rather than just paste the link and expect you all to read it, but yes, you're right, I have ;o)

All of this makes sense, and recycling possession will be my aim. I've just had 3 days off work soaking up the sun so won't be able to put your suggestions in to practise but as soon as I do, I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes. Just out of interest, who do you have on the wings?

If you want to use Carroll, and you're using a short passing system, try him as a Deep-Lying forward - attack. Other than that I agree with Gyoza's comments.

Would you advise this for any kind of targetman-esque striker? Reason I ask is because I want to keep Suarez in the AMR position cutting inside, so instead I bought Leandrio Damiao who will rotate with Carroll depending on form/morale/cup games.

Would you advise this for any kind of targetman-esque striker? Reason I ask is because I want to keep Suarez in the AMR position cutting inside, so instead I bought Leandrio Damiao who will rotate with Carroll depending on form/morale/cup games.

Any target man with good strength can do a passable job as a deep-lying forward, because the deep-lying forward will often hold up the ball with his back to goal, then pivot and play a through ball to release someone else running from deep. Damiao's a good player, but you already had a good enough backup for Carroll in the form of Kuyt - actually, I've found he does even better than Carroll because of his superior mental attributes. Still, Damiao should do the trick, and he's got more pace about him which is never a bad thing.

You know Suarez would work better cutting in from the left, right? I mean, he's good on both flanks, but it just depends on what you're after. Downing is actually quite decent on FM cutting in from the right as an inside forward.

Archived