What's that? A new Wishlist Thread? What you would like to see in future FM versions.

i doubt that a manager has any big insight on the financial side of a club, unless you stay with the club i dont know 20 years like Wenger or Ferguson, it usually comes down to hireing a stranger to train and manage your team

i doubt that all of the managers have a financial degree so they can say, oh well this guy is xx% of my budget, this guy is xx% of my budget, this budget i will spend on this, this i will spend on him, and so on... managers are "usually" short term jobs from dont know 1-5 years maybe? again you guys really think a man who has no financial degree or experience is there to have any saying on how the money is spend?

i can see the manager going to the board saying i need new players for this and that position, and the board will give him couple options saying this is our budget, we worked out that we can get these players, pick some...

blowing my mind what kind of fantasy job real managers do, they are hired to manage and train the squad, and if they suck, they get the next one...

ive never heard of a case of a club going broke because of the manager? its usually the bigger guys who get involved with the money and stuff who lead the club in the wrong direction, not the poor exchangeable guy whos trying to get the best out of the team he been given

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At clubs with a limited budget, I doubt that it is very often that the manager goes out and says "get me either Messi or Heskey, I don't care",

He'll say "Get me Messi if you can do it at a price that will still leave me some money in other positions, but if not, well I'll take Heskey as long as you don't get mugged for him and I can still strengthen in another area", or something.

Pretty clear that Harry went out and said "Get me Samba, don't care how much", and therefore Harry is just as much to blame as the naiive chairman for giving crap advice and losing the club tens of millions.

I think you understate the role of the manager in the majority of clubs, especially in the UK outside the EPL.

IMO all the things that Managers do are there, you can tell your chairmen or whoever you want to go get a player in this version.

but i'm pretty sure, Managers have a big say when it comes to renewing contracts.

you are given a budget to spend however you wish. Managers are the same, to me it seems fine, you want an expensive player you ask the board.

i think you overestimate the power to a guy who's job is completly based on the results he will get over a short term of time, and if he fails to get any results, hes out, and the next guy comes in... very easy

you treat it as if every manager is commited to managing a club for his life legacy like ferguson or wenger... where its usually just a normal job where you can get sacked in the matter of weeks

and to the transfers, i think more "heads" sit together and think about how to upgrade the squad... not just "what the manager thinks of it and what he needs"

the job of a manager is temporare his opinion is just one of few for who and who not to get...

the job of a manager is temporare his opinion is just one of few for who and who not to get...

again, at some clubs.....

My suggestion that managers have some input on how to use their resources doesn't contradict your point of managers needing short term results.

A manager isn't going to go and tell his board to get a player, and then unwittingly have the board use all their money on that player, if he isn't satisfied that that is the only player he needs.

By your logic a manager will say "Buy player A", the board does, then the manager will say "buy player B" and the board will say they have no money.

Do you honestly not think that managers give some consideration as to how much of their money they want to spent on a player, or that if the demands of a player get too high they might be better with 2 lesser players etc.

It's absurd to think managers thing of playing ability as an isolated and sole consideration when picking targets

obviously the manager has to consider how many players to get on the financial possibilites of the club

but my point is if Manager and board agree to approach a player, the Manager does not talk to the player about any of the financial stuff... ever

only thing could be happening that the board (in form of director of football probably?) will turn to the manager and inform him that the wage expectations of Player A are outside of this world, we need to find other options..

and not the manager actually negotiating with the player like in this game (which people appearantly dont realise?) and saying building a stadium is not the managers job, where contract negotiations are very much not his job as well..

OK, so we agree tha manager does planning, but not the actual discussing.

What I tried to say before was that as the manager has a degree of input in this area (the planning if not the actual talking), then the way it manifests in game is a logical way to implement it, even though it isn't itself entirely realistic, that it what I said a few posts back. There reason why I feel it needs to go in at all is because not only would the real-life method be extremely difficult to implement (although very interesting!), it would remove some of the power from the game that the players enjoy, in addition to the fact that the 'real life method' will differ hugely and entirely from club to club and therefore impossible to implement accurately.

Now of course I realise the logical followon to what me saying about the current in-game manager transfer system not being realistic and that removing it would remove players power is what some are saying about kiosks and stadiums are equally unrealistic and would equally expand the human player's power.

My answer to that whilst both are unealistic, the manager's involvement in transfers at least has some grounding in reality, whereas the ability to set prices in the kiosk, ticket prices, etc, does not.

yeah but whats bigger than "realistic, or unrealistic" is the fact thats setting ticket prices and building stadiums are !!FUN!!

and instead of selling cheats for money, they should expand the game in a more fun way in order to increase the sales, and if you dont like setting ticket prices or building stadiums.. then dont do it, set it on automatic or whatever, i dont like press conferences, never do them, sending my assistant... dont see why this is no valid option for ticket prices or building stadiums...

yeah but whats bigger than "realistic, or unrealistic" is the fact thats setting ticket prices and building stadiums are !!FUN!!...

At least now we are down to a simple point of opinion we disagree on, in that I would put the 'realism' higher, even though it is already marginally tainted.

But now that we have been over the main points of our arguments there is nothign wrong with you feeling differently!

Thing is, that's not the game FM is- the focus has never really been on all of the other fluff to do with the club (except in FML), but on the role the manager actually does- on putting together a team and playing matches. It built its reputation on having the biggest database of players, and that depth was always its strength.

A manager has no say on how much a replica shirt costs in the club shop, or how the stands look, and ultimately, what difference does it make to the job you're trying to do- get results on the pitch?

Sure, other games have adopted a wider, chairman-manager approach and produced some fun games with it- LMA Manager and Ultimate Soccer Manager instantly spring to mind. It is sad that there isn't really a game currently doing that, that no other series has really kept going like FM has- FIFA Manager aside, although I honestly don't know much about that game. I'm still gutted that FML, which did adopt more of that style, didn't last and hasn't returned.

But adopting that "control of the whole club" is not FM's approach to management, and it never has been. I'd be shocked if that ever changed.

sega is a company like any other they trie to make profit on their games, and target a much broader audience in form of implementing "sim" elements to the game will increase their sales, they would kick out fifa manager out of the market in a second, not even debateable.. with that goes more $$$ for staff and expand the game further, where the core of the game still remains all the sim elements would be optional

i doubt that the "hardcore" fans of the series wont buy the game because you can adjust your ticket prices... if so who cares, with every hardcore fan leaving because of that there will be probably 4 "fifa managers" joining the game... and as long these options are optional nobody should feel offended that thats unrealistic

but instead of this, some genius came up with the idea of selling cheats trough microtransactions for a singleplayer game... just mind boggling

I am currently playing in the 2nd leg of a cup match and trailing 2-0 from the first leg. Something I would like to see is as simple as in the team talk prior to the kick-off, just an additional talk to the players along the lines of 'just go out there and believe in yourselves and you can do this'.

Just seen bought a player and another one of my players complained. I resolved the situation but he was the backup to a position the new player couldn't even play in, as well as the complaining player being so versatile he would be on the bench at least every game, I wanted to tell him he would be playing in a different position(s).

Just noticed these two problems last night playing hotseat, First you cant change matches, so if say my friend submits his team then has to do something, leaves me to get my team ready I submit mine, then its on his match I cant just change user to me and play my match. Used to be like this in all privious versions of FM, I could be in the middle of my match then change user to someone else so they can play theirs. Second when you play each other in hotseat your only on one user so if they dont have your whole team couted you cant see your own players stats, or they cant see their players stats if you change to you..

Fix international jobs. You can sometimes post adverts for jobs you can't hire to and you can hire to jobs you can't post adverts to. There is no easily identifiable rhyme or reason to it.

If you are an intenrational manager and the FA sack your u21 manager, you can just hire him again the same day...

The decision to use the text "I'll qualify for the champions league" in a player conversation for something that apparently means "I'll make the club of a reputation comparable with CL entry" was a ridiculously stupid one. IF you say you will qualify for CL, the player shouldn't be unhappy when you do just that, regardless of club rep. Sortitoutsi

The two big BIG things that i would LOVE to see changed is (1.) Your managerial status DOESN'T reset each season to 'Stable'. It's a great realistic game but a career doesn't reset each season & is grossly unfair if you've had a few good seasons. On the other hand, if you've underachieved and just held on to your job, it shouldn't revert back to 'stable'. (2.) Please, PLEASE stop players asking for far too big wage rises at the end of their contract - especially in the lower leagues. A lot of players would be relieved at that level to simply be offered a new contract - not the case of asking for loads more. I appreciate the odd star of the team may try to claim this but not almost all of your team. It makes it nigh impossible to build a team/squad at that level.

The two big BIG things that i would LOVE to see changed is (1.) Your managerial status DOESN'T reset each season to 'Stable'. It's a great realistic game but a career doesn't reset each season & is grossly unfair if you've had a few good seasons.

Robert Di Matteo, Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott say hi

Robert Di Matteo, Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott say hi

So you think because of a handful (you've actually named two as Di Matteo hasn't been sacked) makes it realistic to reset each season? Think on

Fix international jobs. You can sometimes post adverts for jobs you can't hire to and you can hire to jobs you can't post adverts to. There is no easily identifiable rhyme or reason to it.

If you are an intenrational manager and the FA sack your u21 manager, you can just hire him again the same day...

The decision to use the text "I'll qualify for the champions league" in a player conversation for something that apparently means "I'll make the club of a reputation comparable with CL entry" was a ridiculously stupid one. IF you say you will qualify for CL, the player shouldn't be unhappy when you do just that, regardless of club rep. Sortitoutsi

Nah, i don't see this a problem. Think on

Nah, i don't see this a problem. Think on

What a mature response, just dismissing someone's point because someone made a valid return to yours.

The fact is that no job in football is stable these days, now that fergie is gone.

I'm pretty sure that is Martinez leaves Wigan to go somewhere, Alan Pardew will be the 3rd longest serving in the EPL?

In the SPL none of them have been there more than a few years. Jobs ARE NOT stable, even after successive promotions and Nigel Adkins. In the SPL Gretna were brought up through the leagues with successive promotions and then their manager was placed on gardening leave.

I'm still just in shock you are such a pathetic little child as to try and belittle my my post because I dared disagree with yours. Christ sake.

Whilst I'm at it, as for your point 2

Most players ask for wage rises in the final year of their contracts because at that point the power is with them. They have the ability to move on and clubs probably fear losing them, giving them the right to try and get more money. If you don't want to lose them, offer them more. IF you call their bluff and wait till their contracts are nearer renewal, then if they don't get other offers the power dynamic shifts back to you and their demands drop. The game implements it perfectly. It isn't SI's fault you can't comprehend simple logic or have good enough management skills to keep a side together.

Haven't seen him in the Chelsea dug-out for a while

Chelski = mockery. Even if you DO want to count him, you've got three. Why don't you use this thread to post things you want in the new game, rather than making silly replies. Else go off and count your infraction points. Thats the last word i have for you silly little boy

UAE is becoming one of the biggest asian leagues so it needs to be part of the game, same with Japan, and the national Japanese and German teams need to be included.

Not possible for licensing reasons. In the case of Japan and Germany anyway. Not sure about UAE.

(you've actually named two as Di Matteo hasn't been sacked)#

What? Of course he was. His job status did reset at the start of the season to stable even tho he won CL and FA Cup, and when he underperformed 15 games into new season he was sacked.

When will they get a license?

It's either too expensive to be viable or they simply won't get one. As far as I know, the Japanese license is exclusive to Konami, so unless they give it up, which I doubt will happen, then they won't get it. Not sure about Germany.

What? Of course he was. His job status did reset at the start of the season to stable even tho he won CL and FA Cup, and when he underperformed 15 games into new season he was sacked.

Chelski a law to themselves. I count nothing they do. Even counting him, the reply to my original post was stupid and fruitless to say the least.

When will they get a license?

I'd imagine the answer is probably "when Konami (and, in Germany's case, EA) go bust".

Also, PhilT, I quite happily named Mancini as being in the same bracket, but you could pick countless others. Clubs, especially big clubs, are not loyal to managers any more. It doesn't matter what you did last year, or the year before- it matters what you're doing this season. So the reset to "Stable" each season makes sense.

No it wasn't it, it showed that your point was incorrect. How many managers in England are secure in their jobs?

In the EPL,

Wenger ? - been subject to Wenger our chants for the 1st half of the season,

Pulis? - on the verge most of the season

Martinez? - Relegated, and admittedly safe in his job

The rest have been in their position for ~2 years or less.

The ones which have had recent success, Mancini, DRM, Adkins, McDermott are all gone.

SPL - Barry Smith won the first divison with Dundee, sacked this year.

The fact is your points, whilst very much allowed in a wishlist thead, were very much open to criticism, and so far all you have done to coutner that criticism is resort to childish antics...

PhilT is spot on, at present when the season updates the job security for the majority of managers also resets to secure & that is not right.

PhilT is spot on, at present when the season updates the job security for the majority of managers also resets to secure & that is not right.

How not? It should reset to stable for the majority of managers, and only one or two shouldnt.

If anything the problem is that it resets for all, rather than the majority

Again, if Martinez leaves Wigan then I think Pardew is 3rd longest serving EPL manager, hardly a sign of status not resetting

How not? It should reset to stable for the majority of managers, and only one or two shouldnt.

If anything the problem is that it resets for all, rather than the majority

Again, if Martinez leaves Wigan then I think Pardew is 3rd longest serving EPL manager, hardly a sign of status not resetting

Agreed, managers such as Ferguson, Wenger, Martinez, I don't think it should reset. For the others, however, of course it should. Football goes on a game to game basis, Pardew is lucky not to be sacked and I imagine his ridiculously long contract plays a part in that. Likewise, Di Matteo won the CL, sacked.

So many improvements could be made on the staff side off things.

The jobcentre advertising is good but to just have a list of candidates is annoying. Ability to filter candidates is needed.

Not having staff potential in any form is really stupid when you got the introduction of the qualifications. All is needed is something saying academic possibility/strength etc.

One major problem this FM has been staff in unsuitable roles. Scouts that should be coaches. Coaches in the game that is absolutely rubbish cos they are an awsome physio under a coach role. I even remember a GK coach that had 3 for coaching GKs but had 18 for fitness.

This can be fixed with an added section on players future that indicates most suitable staff role which then can be recommended. Also the ability to ask staff to retrain in a different role would work. Although obviously this will only deal with players/staff that are with your club but hopefully the AI would be able to do it better.

1. Job Interviews should be used when taking on a new job, talking conditions ie own staff, budget, finances, faciltys

2.media and press conferences need massive improvements, being able to go on mod or appearing as a pundit would be a nice idea, it would either win you fans with the sence you talked or make you a laugh in stock, some matches in football are decided before a ball is kicked like ferguson did to keegan.

3.a clear relationship with the director of football realistically they are your boss are they out to take over your job or make a name for themselves none of this os clear, some will leave to take manager jobs, some will be nice to work with and others will be like the pleat/hoddle relationship at spurs.

4.manager behaviour on touchline would be a good overdue addition to and should have consequences ie if you dont rant and rave the fans will go against you when things are bad, ranting abuse at refarees would result in touchline bans and club fines!

5.former players and staff talking to the press on your performance,

6.player behouviour and staff involvement could be better no one seems to fault out or question you or back you when things are going bad or well.

Agreed, managers such as Ferguson, Wenger, Martinez, I don't think it should reset. For the others, however, of course it should. Football goes on a game to game basis, Pardew is lucky not to be sacked and I imagine his ridiculously long contract plays a part in that. Likewise, Di Matteo won the CL, sacked.

I'll just pitch in here.

I think that everyone in this particular discussion have a point.

It may be a good idea to reward a manager (both human and AI) for a job well done over the years.

However it's also true that if a manager doesn't seem able to (or fails to) deliver what he's agreed to deliver to the club's board, they should consider sacking him.

I think it's realistic that you can build up your status over the years. I think it's realistic for it to reset each year.

A compromise might be best. Halve the board's trust (both positive and negative) each year. Then the board will be more patient if the manager has been successful over the years. Similarly they will be quicker to act if the manager's been underachieving for a couple of seasons already.

It might or might not be necessary to then adjust the rate you accumulate and lose the trust of the board, but that would need to be beta-tested and analyzed.

From a programmer's/game designer's point of view it absolutely needs to be the same for every manager. It would be ridiculous to hardcode Ferguson or Wenger to be less likely to be sacked. It would of course be viable to set the initial board's trust for each club in the database to reflect past successes of the current managers.

1. Job Interviews should be used when taking on a new job, talking conditions ie own staff, budget, finances, faciltys

2.media and press conferences need massive improvements, being able to go on mod or appearing as a pundit would be a nice idea, it would either win you fans with the sence you talked or make you a laugh in stock, some matches in football are decided before a ball is kicked like ferguson did to keegan.

3.a clear relationship with the director of football realistically they are your boss are they out to take over your job or make a name for themselves none of this os clear, some will leave to take manager jobs, some will be nice to work with and others will be like the pleat/hoddle relationship at spurs.

4.manager behaviour on touchline would be a good overdue addition to and should have consequences ie if you dont rant and rave the fans will go against you when things are bad, ranting abuse at refarees would result in touchline bans and club fines!

5.former players and staff talking to the press on your performance,

6.player behouviour and staff involvement could be better no one seems to fault out or question you or back you when things are going bad or well.

4. How would this work? You lose your cool, so you decide to go to a drop-down menu and choose the option: "abuse referee verbally" or "go bonkers and kick the linesman" for getting an offside call wrong? I think this is hard to do without it feeling labourous and artificial.

On the other hand I have expressed my feelings about the referees in the press conferences, got a few warnings from the FA and a couple of touchline bans as well.

If the absence from the touchline is what you wish for, it wouldn't be a bad idea that when a player has a flu or some such, there would be a chance for you to catch it too, leaving your assistant in charge of your game. It might be somewhat annoying though. ;)

It isnt viable to do this in the game but you could have a personallity trait like aggression, temperment etc which is created from how you act in game (i.e. teamtalks etc).

I already get things come up sayin adams is incredeous etc so im guessin it is already implemented

I want to see SI pay more attention to those of us in the community who choose to play outside of the 'normal' areas and particularly outside of Europe.

I want to see the Asian and African continental cup competitions (particularly qualification processes) made dynamic, like the champions league in Europe.. Why play in India, for example, if you can never earn a spot in the Asian Champions League through league position?

Also, with South America being made up of countries that almost exclusively use a Clausura/Apertura system, I want to see either A) More South American nations included 'out of the box' or B) The ability to create this structure within the games editor.

Both of these are included to some extent within the current version of the game, surely it's not a big ask to ask for them to be expanded to cover more of the game world?

Can the Asian continental competitions be made dynamic along the lines of the European ones, so nations which send clubs to the AFC Cup (like India) can eventually be built up to qualify for the Asian Champions League? I know there's no quantitative system for the rerankings which occasionally happen in Asia (like the European points system), but it seems like you could sample the reputations every few years when the continent updates and rerank accordingly. It would improve the experience of playing in those nations by a lot if you could build them up to that point.

Archived