[FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

cerud

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, tore New England apart.

Thanks, deltablue :) Yeah, New England is kind of my bitch right now. I also just played them in my first MLS match of the season...won that 5-0. Over 15 goals against them in a month. Not bad.

A few nice wins in pre-season.
Was your goalkeeper bored dueing those pre season games? :D
With such a great preseason your morale should be sky high which should give you a great start to the season.

Thanks all. I purposely played lower clubs in my pre-season because I wanted my morale high for the 3 Champions League matches that were in between. Looks like it worked out pretty well :)

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

5 April 2017

cruz_azul_logo1.jpg?w=200&h=200200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Semi Final Leg 2

CD Cruz Azul 0 - 1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Whitecaps win on aggregate 4-2

Cruz Azul really took the match to us, hitting hard. We got lucky on a mad scramble off a corner in the 17th minute and, thankfully, that was all that was needed.

We now move onto playing CF Monterrey (MEX) in the CONCACAF Champions League Final!!

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

19 April 2017

200px-CFMonterrey2012_LargeVector.svg.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Final Leg 1

CF Monterrey 2 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

In this first match away from home, we actually hit back at Monterrey very well. I don't think they were expecting difficult opposition! We went up by one in the first half off a brilliant long shot from Gallegos. We opened up a 2 goal lead, but Monterrey wasn't about to let us run away with in in the first game and stole one back in injury time.

26 April 2017

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png200px-CFMonterrey2012_LargeVector.svg.png

Final Leg 2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 CF Monterrey

Whitecaps win on aggregate 6-2

Gallegos! The one man machine scored a hattrick as he led our club to our first CONCACAF Champions League title and the first one by a club from the MLS. Monterrey was met with a goalkeeper on fire in Heimann. It was just our day and no one was going to say otherwise!

26 April 2017

Just got my Board to agree to a bump in our junior coaching budget. Hopefully, this helps us with better Academy Apprentice intakes.

juniorsp.png

We are now listed as "Good".

March-April 2017 Update

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

The League

Couldn't ask for a better start! We blew New England out of the water with our first match, making that 3 times during the month of March. April started out much the same. We only had 1 home match so far, so our fans haven't had much time in our stadium now that it has been expanded but, in reality, I could easily ask for it to be expanded again as we're still selling out.

fixta.png

CONCACAF Champions League

First time winners and first time MLS holders of the CONCACAF Champions League!!! It feels great that our players are at a calibre second to none in the whole continent, but I already knew this. Cruz Azul gave us some problems, but Monterrey was surprisingly easier than I thought they would be.

64321211.png

The Standings

standv.png

Transfers

12 April 2017 - traded Stephen Rodríguez to Chivas USA for a 2018 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Chivas).

Managerial Thoughts

The same story as last year; we're on top with the Galaxy right behind us. I'm starting to wonder what else may be out there in terms of management. This club is strong and I've got the majority of the players signed for at least another year after this. Any manager should be able to step in and do well. However, I do want to see what the Club World Cup would be like. I expect I will finish this year in Vancouver, but I'll be keeping my eye on what other clubs are doing around the world as I expect 2018 may bring something new.

Cracking start to the season.
Well done on the CL victory! And a perfect start to the new MLS season too :thup:

Is this the start of a period of dominance?

Fantastic win over the Mexicans.

Thanks, SRL88, AK22, and deltablue :) Yeah, not much that I can complain about so far this season :)

Great stuff! Congratulations on winning the CHampions League! The World Club Cup awaits. :D

Cheers, DazRTaylor! Looking forward to it, but I think I'll probably not stand up to higher level teams as North America is still not on par with other continents yet.

Top stuff so far! :thup: trophies coming thick and fast.

Thanks, Raware :)

20 May 2017

goal.jpg

Cerud Heading Back to Where it all Began?

As interest in Vancouver manager Cerud grows, so to does his history in the nations that he's managed in. The latest club to look into retaining his services is back in South Korea, where Cerud's beginning into football management all began. Seongnam have recently sacked Hwang Sun-Hong and the former Incheon Korail manager seems to be the likely target for the club. However, no word from the Cerud camp as to whether he wishes to return to South Korea.

seonb.png

21 May 2017

Major-League-Soccer.jpg&w=226&h=180%20&zc=1

Relegated Sunderland Look for a Change

Following the recent news of the firing of Julio César Cáceres with Sunderland, Whitecaps manager Cerud has been mentioned as the Board's top pick as a replacement. The drop into the Championship marks a decade in the top flight of English football. Whoever is hired will likely be expected to return the club there as soon as possible.

sunder.png

May 2017 Update

The League

Only 4 matches in league play this month, but we had a few postponed due to the Canadian Championships. I just finish with the CONCACAF Champions League last month and now I need to fight to get into it all over again! No rest! Well, the schedule has hurt us a bit and the 2 ties are due to tired players. I have a bit of a break with an international period coming up, so hopefully the squad uses it to good advantage.

fixls.png

Nutrilite Canadian Championship

We drew FC Edmonton in the first round, which was interesting. I was born in Edmonton so it was like getting to go home. However, I doubt they wanted me as he took good care of them. Interestingly, Edmonton gave us more problems than over half of the MLS teams we normally face! The first draw against Toronto FC showed exactly why they are only second best in the country now. They literally got nothing. The home match next month will give me a chance to rest a few players and try out a few prospects.

canoq.png

The Standings

standw.png

Managerial Thoughts

Still on top, but barely. I think Los Angeles will always be right there with us. Their squad is a good one and not many teams can do anything against them. We have a match in hand, so we're probably better than the points show, but we'll need to be carefull as our schedule will push us to exhaustion. I'd love to open up some distance between us, but I don't see that happening with how good of a team the Galaxy are.

Well done on Champions League. And so far so good in the regular season.

You're making everything look easy. :D

Thanks, rancer. The squad is one of my best, especially given all the squad rules that MLS has.

Great start in the MLS.
Great achivement winning the champions league. You've had a great start to this season too, keep it up!

Thanks, deltablue and JackJCFC!

2017 CAF World Cup Qualifiers

3 March 2017

1210740017.pngnigeria.jpg

Group Stage

Senegal 2 - 4 Nigeria

Senegal tried to push back towards the end of this match, but it was too late. We held on for a vital win and the biggest of the qualifiers so far. This puts us back on level with Senegal on points but ahead on goal difference. A vital win indeed.

3 March 2017

nigeria.jpg1698411831.png

Group Stage

Nigeria 8 - 0 Libya

This was a match that we were expected to dominate and we met those standards. The 8 goal difference also helped open up our goal difference over Senegal, which will be very necessary.

25 June 2017

Vancoubver%20SUN%20masthead%20logo.jpg

Whitecaps Announce Link with Man City

Two top clubs, one great match. Three time consecutive Barclay's Premier League winners Manchester City have linked up with the Vancouver Whitecaps in a financial partnership meant to expand the brand of both clubs. Details of the deal remained undisclosed, but it is expected that the Whitecaps will receive in excess of $1 million for the partnership.

manbn.png

Very happy about this and completely unexpected! Our Board found this link without me asking for it and the money will definitely help.

June 2017 Update

The League

Still having to fight these ties and draws which are getting annoying. I was especially hoping that we would be able to hold out against the Galazy, but they stole a late goal off a disasterous pass from our leftback. Still, we have kept up our unbeaten streak, so I can't complain too much.

fixu.png

Nutrilite Canadian Championship

Champions! We win our second consecutive Voyager's Cup in the Canadian Championship, booking our position in the next CONCACAF Champions League once again. The home match was more difficult, but I had made several changes. I used a few prospect players to give them playing time as based on the first match, this competition was already locked up. Plus, it's Toronto...no reason to be scared.

cdnp.png

The Standings

standu.png

Managerial Thoughts

Los Angeles have begun to pull ahead, but they've also played 3 more matches than us. The one thing that I'm very happy about this year is our goals against. Only 8 goals against us in 13 matches. This is great as I've been using my young backup in order to give him experience and he's played amazingly. Both goalkeepers are great and signed for a few years yet, so there's no reason to think that this can't continue along for a while.

Congrats on winning the Champions League! Solid start to the new season as well :)
Still going along nicely.
Still got good chance to catch LA up.
Doing well.

Thanks all! It's been a truly great season so far. I'm very happy with this squad, although there are areas where I would like to improve. I also have a couple players wanting improved deals...DP level improved deals. Looks like I'll need a few replacements and made some trades.

July 2017 Update

The League

The break at the beginning of the month coincided with the group stages of the Gold Cup. Unfortunately (or fortunately...not sure :) ), my players that were called up to their respective national teams went on to the further rounds and left me severely depleted for our matches. I was using reserve players and players out of position just to put together a squad! Still we kept up our unbeaten run, including grabbing a couple ties, both off injury time goals. The New York match was lucky as the goal we got was from an own goal, but we'll take it! Definitely has been my best season so far in my career. Hoping that it continues.

fixh.png

The Standings

standz.png

Transfers

22 July 2017 - signed Kim Falkenberg on a free transfer.

Managerial Thoughts

Still a couple games in hand on Los Angeles and we've closed the point gap to 3 points. If those 2 matches were played, we'd likely be ahead. I'm very happy that the squad has not had any morale or complancey issues given our record. The number of draws is a little annoying, but given the rest some player need in our insane schedule due to other commitments, I really can't complain.

congrats on the Champions League win, looks like that has given you some real big career prospects once you eventually leave 'home'!

Thanks, PaulHartman. Yeah, I'm happy with the Champions League title as I wanted to at least give a serious challenge with the Whitecaps. As for moving, we'll see. I am seriously considering it once this season is finished. Not sure where though, but it's nice to know that I have options ;)

Good Month, especially when you consider you were without some key players.

I was worried about having so many gone on international commitments, especially since the Gold Cup lasts a while! I also had a few injuries to deal with, but we pulled through :)

2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League

2 August 2017

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.pngCsd_municipal.jpg

Preliminary Round Leg 1

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 5 - 0 CSD Municipal (GUA)

Our first match of the 2017-2018 Champions League and we begin to defend our title! Again, it was all Gallegos. His 4 goals propelled us onward, making the second leg more of a formality.

9 August 2017

Csd_municipal.jpg200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Preliminary Round Leg 2

CSD Municipal 1 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Whitecaps win on aggregate 7-1

A bit of a let up in this match. I started a few younger players to give them some playing time. We did well, only giving up a goal on a penalty kick. Still, We did let them into the match, only wrapping it up in the 86th minute. We should have finished this one earlier.

The Group Stages

With the preliminary stage finished, the groups have now been drawn for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Group A

• Alajuelense - Costa Rica
  • Comunicaciones - Guatemala
  • New York - United States
  • Pachuca - Mexico

Group B

• Chicago - United States
  • Cruz Azul - Mexico
  • Dirangén - Nicaragua
  • Suprissa - Costa Rica

Group C

• Los Angeles - United States
  • Marathón - Honduras
  • Pumas - Mexico
  • Vancouver - Canada

Group D

• Chivas - Mexico
  • Olimpia (HON) - Honduras
  • Reading United - United States
  • Tauro - Panama

An alright group. Pumas have won the Champions League before and will be tough competition. We played Marathón in last year's group stages and did well. Los Angeles is always a fun match and I expect no different. Interestingly, one of our feeder clubs, Reading United, also made the cut as winners of the US Open Cup. I'm be curious to see how they do in their own group.

Getting tight at the top.

We're actually slowly gaining on the Galaxy. It's just that they've played more matches than us. I'm cautiously optimistic in catching up with them by the end of the season :)

23 August 2017

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png175px-Los_Angeles_Galaxy_logo.svg.png

Group Stage

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 Los Angeles Galaxy

The first match of the group stages was against my old club, Los Angeles. I still think they harbour a grudge against me as I left for Vancouver after only 60 days. We took the match handidly, not even really letting the Galaxy do much. The vast majoirty of shots they had were wide and not going to hurt anyone.

Pumas handed us our first loss of the season in any competition. While we were able to match their level of play, they capitalized on their chances much better than we did. Even our one goal we did was lucky. Still, we are in 2nd place, tied with the Galaxy on points but leading in goal difference. We should qualify out of this group.

August 2017 Update

The League

Four league matches and four wins. I'm much happier this year that our busy schedule is not hurting our league play. Last year during this time, we were getting many ties and a few losses because of tired players. This year, I think we are managing our assets better. And as always, winning by 6 goals against Toronto is always good to do to your rivals!

fixi.png

A good qualifying round against Municipal saw us into a tough, but manageable group. Pumas, as shown by their win against us, will be the most difficult of the group. If we can manage a win or tie against them at home next month, I'll be very happy.

43240900.png

The Standings

standv.png

Transfers

8 August 2017 - traded Brian Miller to the Columbus Crew for a 2018 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Columbus) and a 2019 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (Columbus).

Managerial Thoughts

We have pulled within a single point of Los Angeles now and still have two games in hand. I'm not worried about the clubs below us; the Galaxy and us are ahead of all other by a lot, including the Eastern Conference. We are still undefeated in the MLS this year. 11 matches left to go to get to the playoffs.

Congrats on the CL title! Though I'm saddened to see Sheanon not playing for the Union :(

Sheanon has been good, but he's wanting higher wages now than I'm willing to pay. I've already brought in a better replacement, but no one wants Sheanon in trade. Might just have to released him on waivers.

9 September 2017

1509083820.pngnigeria.jpg

Group Stage

Chad 0 - 4 Nigeria

A solid win away in Chad. They only got one shot, a header off a free kick. Other than that, Chad barely even touched the ball.

Final Round

So, all that's left is the final round. The winners all advance to the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The draw is as follows.

Cameroon v Ivory Coast

Morocco v Nigeria

Tunisia v South Africa

Algeria v DR Congo

Ghana v Egypt

Morocco is the 24th FIFA ranked nation; whereas, we are at 26th place. It should be a even round.

Going pretty strong in the league, keep it up! Pity you couldn't keep up the unbeaten season, but I suppose Pumas are a really strong team :)

Thanks, Scarman. Yeah, the fatigue is catching up to us.

9 September 2017

marathon.bmp200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Group Stage

CD Marathón 1 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Marathón gave us a more difficult match this year than last. Their only goal was from a penalty shot in injury time, but they fought hard.

27 September 2017

175px-Los_Angeles_Galaxy_logo.svg.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Group Stage

Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

A much better win against the Galaxy. I was happy to get this win, especially after they handed us our first MLS loss this season only a few days previous.

September 2017 Update

The League

Well...it was bound to happen sometime, I guess. Los Angeles handed us our first loss of the MLS season. The schedule has finally started catching up to us as player fatigue is setting in. We've been able to rotate the starting squad well, but an entire season of playing close to every 3-4 days...tough to do. Still, our unbeaten streak going back to last season was over 30 matches. Can't complain.

fixx.png

Two quality wins and have kept us 2nd in our group, only a single point behind Pumas. Qualification is likely.

78884590.png

The Standings

standlr.png

Managerial Thoughts

Our battle to catch Los Angeles is still the same, a couple of points behind, but still 2 games in hand. That tells you just how hectic our schedule has been. They haven't even been able to reschedule these matches that we must still play in order to catch up to a similar number of games played! But we have qualified for the playoffs, which is good. Takes a bit of the pressure off. I would like to lead the standings for the regular season though to win the Supporter's Shield again, but that's not the main prize. I'd rather be rested up for the playoffs than sacrifice for a smaller goal.

Congrats on winning the CL title,hope you can have some success in defending the title.Doing very well in the league,hope you can overtake them in the league as well to make it a brilliant season.

Great getting that revenge win over Galaxy, still well poised to overtake them in the league.

Cheers, deltablue. Still feeling confident about that too.

Congrats on winning the CL title,hope you can have some success in defending the title.Doing very well in the league,hope you can overtake them in the league as well to make it a brilliant season.

Thanks, BWG. I'd like to lead the regular season schedule but its not that important in the end. Making the playoffs and winning the Cup is the main prize! :D

Awesome! :) One of my better midfielders has been wanting DP wages for a while now, but I can't have another DP contract. I got him down to $425 000/year, but the cap is $325 000/year. So, instead of making him a DP player, I offer the $100 000 difference to his agent and he accepts! :) Thank you SI for sanctioning bribery in football! ;)

14 October 2017

1603198590.pngnigeria.jpg

Final Leg 1

Morocco 2 - 5 Nigeria

Our first match of the final leg for CAF World Cup Qualifiers was away in Morocco. We are both fairly even in FIFA rankings. However, it was a match in which we dominated. By the half, we were up 3-0. Morocco managed to even us in second half scoring, but we keep our 3 goal difference as we head back home for the the second leg next month in a very good position to qualify.

Archived