[FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

cerud

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I think fans in Los Angeles may be feeling a little bit of whiplash ;)

BC Place just underwent a massive overhaul last year in real life. The Whitecaps share the stadium with the BC Lions, Vancouver's team in the CFL, the Canadian Football League (North American football...you know? the sport where they have to talk to 4 minutes to figure out the next 4 seconds of play? ;) )

As for as finances go, both teams are doing well. LA has a lot of money, about $75M; whereas Vancouver has just under $20M. However, Vancouver also just bought their stadium before I came to the team and has no loans or debt.

My DP players are Marinho and Alejandro Bedoya. I've also just signed Bedoya to a longer contract. I may let Marinho go at the end of the season to try and get someone new. He just doesn't seem to find well within the current squad.

Really? So whats the secret with American clubs then? Do they get decent attendances in the game? I'm just thinking that I'm really struggling with the A-League and am having to sell over £1.5m worth of players a season to break even

Really starting to pick up the pace now.

Cheers, deltablue :) It's going well so far.

Really? So whats the secret with American clubs then? Do they get decent attendances in the game? I'm just thinking that I'm really struggling with the A-League and am having to sell over £1.5m worth of players a season to break even

The secret with Canadian and American clubs is the amount of advertising MLS has done over the past decade. I read somewhere that the MLS is one of the top 3 fastest growing leagues in the world right now along with Russia's top league and the J-League in Japan. The advertising they do in real life is huge too. I know for my Whitecaps, every match is on TV now, which is something that didn't happen in soccer in North America until probably 5 years ago.

I managed in the A-League before too with the Gold Coast. I know their attendances are low. Not sure why. It real life Vancouver had the 3rd highest attendances last season, in only their first season in the league. But the team has been around since 1974, so there is a history. I'm already at the stage where I need to expand my stadium as we average 98% capacity. My attendances at over 20 000 every game minimum in at 21 000 capacity stadium.

Doing well so far,hope you can carry on that form to claim a playoff spot.

Thanks, BWG. I'm hoping for a minimum of a playoff spot, but I'd also like to top the table for the Supporter's Shield too. Make it a Double!

1 May 2016

Vancoubver%20SUN%20masthead%20logo.jpg

BC Place to Get a Facelift

As crowds continue to grow for the Vancouver Whitecaps, BC Place is beginning to hit capacity crowds. Whitecap management, who owns the stadium, have announced plans to expand the stadium, increasing its capacity to 23 646 seats from the current 21 000 seated. Construction is set to begin at the end of the current season.

expandeo.png

May 2016 Update

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

The League

This was a hard and greulling month. Three league matches and four cup matches. However, it went well. In league play, we lost one when our leftback put in 2 own goals to give the Houston Dynamo a win and our second loss of the season. Was more than a little annoyed with him on that.

fixn.png

Nutrilite Canadian Championship

First up was the Montreal Impact. It was a no contest, taking them 10-1 on aggregate. However, Toronto FC was a bigger challenge. We took the first match at home 2-1, but in the away match we went down 0-1 in about the 75 minute. This would mean that they would win on away goals. I made a quick change we hit back about 30 seconds after their to tie the match and win on a 3-2 aggregate. The Canadian Championship is ours and we are now officially the Canadian club entered into the CONCACAF Champions League!!!

cdn.png

The Standings

standxm.png

Managerial Thoughts

We've dropped down to 2nd place, but that's due to game postponements from the Canadian Championship. Los Angeles has played two more games than us and are only 2 points ahead. I'm still very confident that we will win the league and easily qualify for the playoffs. In addition, now that our cup competition is over the schedule should get easier. The American clubs still have the US Open Cup to play, which will make their schedules more difficult and players tired. Hopefully, we can capitalize on that and begin to open up a significant lead.

1 June 2016

strib_logo.gif

Randers FC want Cerud

As the Danish season winds down, Randers FC is looking for new management following the firing of Trond Sollied. The frontrunner for the post is Vancouver's Cerud. Cerud was unavailable to comment at the time of this publication.

randers.png

4 June 2016

180x115_sportday_250x.png

Management Takeover at Panserraikos Sees Cerud in Plans

The recent takeover in Panserraikos has led to the sacking of manager Leonidas Bilis. Newly appointed Chairman Thodoros Christou has publically stated that he favours Canadian manager Cerud from Vancouver to fill the position. Cerud has declined comment, citing his current schedule and a conflict of interest.

pans.png

June 2016 Update

The League

Another difficult month schedule-wise as the American clubs began their cup competition. The subsequent rescheduling has us playing matches every 3 days for a while. Still, we continued our pounding of goals, racking up significant leads. There's a few contributors to the squad, to which I'll update in a half season update likely next month. Unfortunately, as seems to be our form, we messed up the final match of the month.

fixp.png

The Standings

standk.png

Managerial Thoughts

So, we've regained our lead of the conference as well as the league; however, Los Angelese is playing very well and sits a point behind us. The other conference has Chicago tied with the Galazy as well. While we are scoring goals from all over the place, we need to quit with this throwing away needless matches. I know a lot of it has to do with my squad being tired lately due to our schedule, but I hope that it quits.

In other news, I just had a player request to have a meeting in order to complain about the apparent lack of discipline. I took a lot and we are the lowest in the league in terms of yellow and red cards. So, I told him to try playing football instead of managing football. He shut up, apologized, and I haven't heard from him since.

And...we have another facility upgrade coming in the off-season. Construction should begin once we finish playing for the season.

youth.png

not surprised to see you linked with other jobs but I imagine you'll stay at Vancouver at least until the end of the season, would be slightly ironic if you lost out on the trophy to LA though!

Thanks, PaulHartman71. Yeah, I'll be sticking around Vancouver for at least another year now that I've qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League. I'd love to be the first Canadian team and first MLS team to win it :) As for LA, we've played them once already and won, but if I remember correctly, it was a difficult match and hard fought.

Still getting some big wins.

Onward and upward.

Doing well at Vancouver so far, let's hope Galaxy don't ruin the season for you!

Cheers, Scarman. Oddly, Galaxy began the season horribly and almost fired their manager. I guess he was able to turn things around.

Doing well. Shoulda lost to TFC tho. :mad:

The team has a lot of money. Nearly $12 million in upgrades...

Not losing to Toronto?? That's like working against muscle memory ;)

As for finances, Vancouver is doing well. Before I joined, they purchased BC Place without needing a loan. We are making money this year so far, but will probably take a hit once we get charged for the upgrades. However, the increased stadium capacity will help us recoup some of it with better gate incomes.

Great season so far!!

Thanks, TheGreatTraveler!

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

27 July 2016

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png17792.png

Preliminary Round Leg 1

Vancouver Whitecaps 7 - 0 Kulture Yabra FC

The CONCACAF Champions League has begun! Our first draw was against the Belize club Kulture Yabra FC. While we were expected to win, I don't think they expected this! The match began with them gifting us an own goal from a corner. However, from there we took over. Kulture didn't get a shot away and barely even saw time in our end. We go to Belize for the second leg in the beginning of August, but something tells me...this round is done ;)

July 2016 Update

The League

While I'm happy that we continue to win, I'm getting increasingly annoyed by our apparent need to lose one match per month. This time, it was to New York who outplayed us heavily. Every other match, we go out and dominate, but there's always one match each month that baffles us.

fixt.png

CONCACAF Champions League

Our first match in the CONCACAF Champions League was an easy way for us to ease into the competition. We've only played the home match against Kulture so far, with the away match scheduled in early August.

concacafw.png

The Standings

standx.png

Players of Note

I wanted to take the opportunity to highlight a couple players that have been performing throughout the first half of the season.

Robbie Rajkovic - D C - I have several new and young players on the squad. Rajkovic is emblematic of them as they have all been performing well when called up. Training and tutoring have been constantly improving all of them as well.

Lee Nguyen - M R, AM RC - Our assist leader. I was worried at the beginning of the season that right wing was our weakest position. I stand corrected.

Marinho - M/AM LC, ST - Marinho is one of the top players to ever wear a Whitecaps shirt. His partnership with our other main striker has bee stellar, both of them with 16 goals so far. Unfortunately, he will be leaving at the end of the season as I can't afford his contract demands.

Transfers

8 July 2016 - traded Ryan Adeleye to Columbus Crew for a 2018 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Portland) and a 2017 Supplemental Draft 2nd Round pick (Columbus).

16 July 2016 - traded Jan Kempin to Houston Dynamo for a 2017 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (DC United).

Managerial Thoughts

Thankfully, Los Angeles has started to falter a little. They are only a point behind up but have played 2 more matches. Our schedule is going to be tight now that the CONCACAF Champions League has started, so squad management will become imperative. They will definitely be some rotation coming; however, the boys look like they can handle it.

Also just got our Board's expectations.

CONCACAF Champions League: Reach the Quarter Finals.

Great start to the Champions League :thup:
Looking good both domestically and continentally :thup:. That's quite an emphatic result in the CL!
On serious form now.
And you where worried about the CL. You can probably beat them with your reserve team :lol:
Going along brilliantly. Great work.

Thanks all :) Looking like a great season so far!

Doing brilliantly well with Vancouver although it looks like LA Galaxy will be running you close for the rest of the season.

I'm not worried about the LA Galaxy in terms of the playoffs. We'll make it; however, I would like to win the Supporter's Shield too (given to the team with the best regular season record), so a top finish gets us there.

3 August 2016

17792.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Preliminary Round Leg 2

Kulture Yabra FC 0 - 4 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Whitecaps win on aggregate 11-0

The away match was horrible...we let them get a shot!!! Actually, I think an aggregate score of 11-0 is not bad. Goals from Rajkovic and Carreiro were great as they came from two of our young Canadians.

The Group Stages

With the preliminary stage finished, the groups have now been drawn for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Group A

• Motagua - Honduras
  • Municipal (GUA) - Guatemala
  • Sporting Kansas City - United States
  • Toluca - Mexico

Group B

• Cruz Azul - Mexico
  • New England - United States
  • Puerto Rico Islanders - Puerto Rico
  • Suprissa - Costa Rica

Group C

• Chivas - Mexico
  • Marathón - Honduras
  • New York - United States
  • Vancouver - Canada

Group D

• Alajuelense - Costa Rica
  • Chicago - United States
  • Monterrey - Mexico
  • Tauro - Panama

I think we have a tough group. Teams from Mexico and Honduras and New York always seem to have our number...

10 August 2016

Vancoubver%20SUN%20masthead%20logo.jpg

Cerud Reaches 200 Matches

As the MLS season moves towards the final match of the regular season, Vancouver Whitecaps manager Cerud is reaching a milestone of his own. The next match against the Union will mark his 200th game in management. Speaking to media, Cerud stated,

"200 matches is 200 more than I ever thought I'd have. This has been a great run and I hope to continue on for 200 more."

200va.png

Yikes...only the two big market teams in the US and Mexico, and probably a tough Honduran team to deal with in the group stages....
That truly is a North American Group of Death :eek:

Congrats on 200 games as well :D

Cheers, rancer and BWG. Yeah...I don't think I could've asked for a most difficult group. But we need to do it; our Board wants the Quarter Finals... We'll see...

17 August 2016

marathon.bmp200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Group C

CD Marathón 2 - 4 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

What a great way to begin the group stages! We picked up an early lead and went into the half at 2-1. Marathón tied it up on the 66th minute and I figured that a tie would do us happy. However, we never quit. We redoubled our efforts and kept hitting back, scoring twice more to end the match on top of a difficult opposition.

We tied up early on, but things got worse when Valencia received his second yellow and left us down a man in the 26th minute. However, a corner in the 51st minute went our way when one of their defenders hit it into their own net. That gave us our second win in teh group stages in as many matches.

August 2016 Update

The League

Wow, why a greuling schedule! Five league matches and three Champions League matches. I guess I can't be surprised with our outcome in the league. I've been concentrating on the Champions League and winning there. The fact that we were able to pull out ties is probably better than what could have happened.

fixje.png

This is where we placed our priorities and it has turned out better than hoped! Wins against Marathón and New York have us in first in our group and with a real chance at qualifying out of it.

15851420.png

The Standings

standx.png

Managerial Thoughts

Los Angeles has understandably pulled ahead in the standing because we just can't compete in this insanely busy schedule. The good this is we now have twelve days off and we're going to take it and recover. If we can just relax and decompress, I think we can still catch the Galaxy. Plus, we still have our 2 game margin. We'll need it.

10 September 2016

13800255964a3fd557aec5c788939484_200x141.jpg

Chivas USA Fires Kinnear

Chivas USA's deplorable record this season has led to the firing of Dominic Kinnear. However, plans have been put on hold as frontrunner Cerud has publically stated zer interest in the job. Other managers are being considered at this time.

chivas.png

14 September 2016

200px-Club_Guadalajara_crest.svg.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Group C

CD Guadalajara (Chivas) 1 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

A strong showing against probably the most difficult opponent in our group. We took a lead going into the half off a brilliant free kick and them doubled up in the early second. Chivas got one back but we brought on some fresh legs and got the insurance goal in the 87th minute to seal the win.

21 September 2016

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.pngmarathon.bmp

Group C

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 CD Marathón

A match in which we dominated. It seems as through Marathón is not as strong a I had thought they would be. Every team in our group has been beating them up pretty badly. This was much of the same, a one sided encounter.

The winning of this match has also ensured our qualification from the Group Stage.

28 September 2016

biknxc.gif

Interest in Cerud Heats Up

With the sacking of Flamengo manager Vágner Mancini, interest in Vancouver's Cerud has once again been the topic of discussion. To further convolute matters, it is thought that several Russian clubs are after the successful manager as well. It is likely that the Whitecaps will open contract negotiations with Cerud as soon as possible in order to keep him with Vancouver.

jobp.png

Thanks, rancer. I was very happy to sign the players I did at non-DP prices. However, I did have to bribe their agents a bit ;) Stilll blows my mind that FM allows us to pay agents directly in MLS, especially since in real life that would have me in jail.

Just think of it as his 15%, money that would otherwise go to the player. ;)

24 August 2016

brand.gif200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Group C

New York Red Bull 3 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

We had already qualified, so I chose to rest a few players because I have many who are about ready to drop. Unfortunately, we were unable to hold on and New York gave us our first loss in the CONCACAF Champions League. It still would matter much, so I can't be too upset.

September 2016 Update

The League

The big break we had from August to our first match in September was much needed as most of the squad was about to keel over. It also helped up back to our winning ways instead of just tying. However, once Champions League matches began again, our focus turned to them and a couple of ties rounded out the month.

fixt.png

We have qualified out of the group stages with two matches to go. One has been played (the loss to New York) so there will be one more game next month and they I believe a break to next year before the Quarter Finals begin.

19263441.png

The Standings

standvn.png

Managerial Thoughts

We have regained our lead on Los Angeles! Our match against them this month helped move us ahead and now with only four matches left to go in the season and 6 points up, I'm confident of winning our conference. We have also qualified with 6 matches to share for the Semi Finals of the playoffs! So, a job done.

How many points does the first placed team in the East Cnference have?

Chicago is leading the Eastern Conference with 60 points, so they're 3 points behind us. We have a good chance of topping the regular season :)

Still got two games in hand though, so you could get back top spot if you win them. LA will probably drop points as well. Fantastic start to the Champions League as well :thup:

Done and done! ;)

Just think of it as his 15%, money that would otherwise go to the player. ;)

Pretty much, Jason :) Although it's something SI should look into. I doubt they want to condone crinimal behaviour such as bribery ;)

Would you leave Vancouver if Flamengo came calling?

No, I want to stay and weel Vancouver up in reputation for a while yet. At least one more season here I expect and them maybe starting looking... No plans yet anyways.

Congrats on qualifying from the group.I demand you stay at Vancouver and ignore Flamengo :D

No worries, BWG!

Archived