[FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

cerud

Just catching up here, cerud...

Well done on a great final season with Pro Vercelli; you certainly peaked at the right time! Personally, I probably would have had at least one season in Serie A, but the LA Galaxy job is pretty high profile and you'll have a decent chance of winning some trophies there. Good luck!

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice move to LA - time to turn them around and boost your rep a bit. Get rid of Robbie Keane and bring in a decent DP, the you'll be fine ;)

Thanks, DodgeeD. Looking for the rep boost and just love the opportunity to manage in MLS. Robbie Keane is still listed as 4.5 stars, but he looks very injury prone now.

Just catching up here, cerud...

Well done on a great final season with Pro Vercelli; you certainly peaked at the right time! Personally, I probably would have had at least one season in Serie A, but the LA Galaxy job is pretty high profile and you'll have a decent chance of winning some trophies there. Good luck!

Yeah, I figured it was the right time to go. A season in Serie A would have been nice, but when the Board offered me a wage budget that other teams use for a single player, I knew my days were numbered. The Galaxy is a high profile club and should be fun!

Only 8 games to go but looks like you could still make the play-offs, especially if the club achieve the 'new-manager form' that most do following a new manager!

We'll see, PaulHartman71 :) I've been taking a bit of a break and the wife and I have had relatives visiting, but should get back into it soon.

Sign Beckham.

Alas, he retired in 2013.

I came in here expecting to see your rise to Serie A...instead you're in the States. A surprising move but I guess you know when you're ready to move on.

Good luck in bringing back the glory to LA (and understanding those MLS rules! ;) Being a Canadian, you should have no trouble understanding them though!)

I came in here expecting to see your rise to Serie A...instead you're in the States. A surprising move but I guess you know when you're ready to move on.

Good luck in bringing back the glory to LA (and understanding those MLS rules! ;) Being a Canadian, you should have no trouble understanding them though!)

Thanks, Raware :) Yeah, MLS rules makes sense to me because drafts, etc. are similar to the NHL and other North American sports.

August-September 2015 Update

175px-Los_Angeles_Galaxy_logo.svg.png

Los Angeles Galaxy - Major League Soccer

The League

I joined for the final match in August so this update will cover that and September. This first month was a good introduction into North American soccer. However, while we are scoring a lot, our defense is bad. We have 1 centreback and barely any defense in general. This is our main problem but we won't be able to do much until the off-season.

fixr.png

The Standings

standw.png

Transfers

Given the nature of trades in MLS, I've decided to highlight the chronology of any we do each month.

30 August 2015 - traded Diego Sainz to Houston for a 2016 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Houston) and a 2017 SuperDraft 2nd Round pic (DC United).

2 September 2015 - traded Jay Nolly to Sporting Kansas City for a 2016 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Chivas USA).

2 September 2015 - traded Clyde Simms to DC United for a 2017 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (DC United) and a Supplemental Draft 3rd Round pick (DC United).

4 September 2015 - traded $30K in allocation money and a 2017 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (DC United) to Seattle for Moises Whitfield.

Managerial Thoughts

The Western Conference has us up to 2nd place. We are in a good position for the playoffs so I'm just hoping that our defensive woes don't hurt us in the final few matches.

24 October 2015

180x115_sportday_250x.png

Cerud Back to Europe?

Despite Los Angeles Galaxy manager Cerud's recent success in turning around that club, speculation has already begun that he will back on his way to Europe to manage Greek side AEK Athens. The Greek club recently sacked Giorgos Donis from teh position and have begun looking for an immediate replacement. Cerud has been unavailable for comment.

aek.png

Strong start, looking likely for a play-off spot. How many games in a season?

Cheers, Scarman! :) There's is 34 matches in a season and then the playoffs afterwards for the teams than qualify.

October 2015 Update

Los Angeles Galaxy - Major League Soccer

The League

Our final month of the regular season saw us continue our unbeaten record; however, we did drop two matches to draws. We did have some strong opposition, including the Supporter's Shield winners Sporting Kansas City. They put Jay Nolly in net, who we had just traded to them. He showed exactly why we traded him.

fixim.png

The Standings

standc.png

Managerial Thoughts

And so we finish in 2nd place in the Conference and qualify for the semi-final stage of the playoffs. Our first game will not be scheduled yet until they figure out who our opposition will be. That's will come in the following weeks ahead.

However, we did get some other good news...

youthc.png

Convincing qualification.
An interesting career move there! A very decent start with the Galaxy though, in with a decent chance of winning the title.
Great Job in finishing Top3, gives you the chance to be further up on the Play-offs and a bigger chance of winning the title.
Excellent start to life at LA Galaxy.Good luck with whoever you get in the playoffs.

Thanks all! The Galazy have done much better than I thought we would, given that we have a single centreback, a youth leftback, and more centre midfielders than the entire league needs ;)

However, there's been a development...

26 October 2015

washington-post-large-logo-2.jpg

Cerud Gone in 60 Days

While the Galazy may be scratching their heads as to Cerud's resignation made public earlier today, the rumours around the league have this move as the makings of something bigger in the works. In Cerud's brief tenure with the Los Angeles club, he managed to move them into a playoff spot. However, one of the worst kept secrets in MLS has always been Cerud's love for another club.

Earlier today, the Vancouver Whitecaps announced that longtime manager Martin Rennie would be stepping down after a disappointing season. Cerud, who had been attached as a possibility to the Whitecaps job a few years ago, is seen as the likely candidate for the position. The news of his resignation with the Galaxy seems to have confirmed rumours. It is unknown if the Whitecaps has approached Cerud as of yet or even if he has applied for the position.

I know that this is probably a shock move, but the Vancouver job is one that I simply cannot let go. I haven't been given the job yet, but I have applied and am considered the likely candidate. Their performance this year was bad, but they have a much better squad set up than the Galaxy did, in the fact that they actually have players!

I hope that the job is mine; however, there has also been news that San Jose has sacked their manager, Frank Yallop, another Canadian. He has also stated publically that he wants the Vancouver job. I hope I wasn't premature in my decision...

resignf.png

Managerial Club Record

10050966.png

Plans

Vancouver or bust!

6 November 2015

AssociatedPressLogo-large.jpg

Cerud Heading Back Home

With the opening of the Vancouver Whitecaps head coaching position, it seemed like a perfect match for a prodigal son to return. Cerud has accepted the top job with the Whitecaps in a small ceremony outside of BC Place. In a press conference, where he was introduced by Chairman Bob Lenarduzzi, Cerud welcomed the opportunity.

"When I first visited Vancouver when I was twelve, I fell in love with this city. I knew that one day I would live here, but I just didn't know how that would work or what I would do. Twenty-three years later, I think I've figured it out. I have been a fan of the Whitecaps since their days in the NASL. Now is the time to transform this club into a consistent contender, not just in the MLS, but in CONCACAF as well. That is what I intend to do."

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

I have just signed a deal until the end of the 2016 seeason for $450 000/year. I have a few things I want to take care of while I'm here. The first will be to bring the Whitecaps up into a contender for the MLS Cup and the Voyager Cup in the Canadian Championship. And if I have to crush my former Galaxy club in the process, all the better!

About the Club

The recent revival of the Vancouver Whitecaps began in 2009; however, the club itself has existed since the mid 1970s. This introduction into the MLS was a rocky one, finishing dead last in their first season. The club celebrated this first MLS Cup in 2013, but have been unable to return.

The club has also won two Voyager Cups in the Canadian Championships, the first in 2012 and the second in 2014.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1974

Nickname: The Whitecaps

Fierce Rivals: Seattle

Other Rivals: Portland, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact

The Stadium - BC Place

Year Built: 1981

Capacity: 21 000 all-seater

Owner/Rent: Vancouver Whitecaps

Facilities

Corporate: Good

Training: Average

Youth: Good

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Average

Here is BC Place.

6679683701_04b8221039_z.jpg

Unfortunately, FM12 is not able to fully recreate BC Place in terms of capacity. It's capacity is 21 000 for soccer; however, it has the ability to open to 54 320 for larger matches. The roof is also fully retractable.

28 November 2015

24_sata-150x110.jpg

Cerud Still in High Demand

With the recent sacking of Nenad Gracan, Croatian side NK Osijek have begun the search for a new manager. Again, perennial managerial favourite Cerud has emerged as the frontrunner. However, rather than his normal coyness, Cerud did issue a statement.

"While I am flattered at the level of interest in me, I have no desire to leave my post with the Whitecaps before I've presided over a single match."

Undoubtably, the Vancouver Board will be pleased at this blunt statement of position.

osijek.png

12 December 2015

Just a couple of quick updates. We're wheeling and dealing in the transfer market. I will post an update closer to the SuperDraft.

In the mean time, I've negotiated a few things with my Board...

trainb.png

juniorfx.png

Good luck with Vancouver,hope you can eventually turn them into a success story :thup:

Thanks, BWG.

Blimey... another club! Good luck again :D

I know, I know...! But I had to! :) They're my team!

2016 Academy Player Intake

MLS clubs get new players in multiple ways. There is the SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft. There is also each individual club's Youth Academy where young players are brought into the club on Academy contracts.

Here is this year's intake:

Stefan Cucca - AM L, ST

Tim Xausa - D RL, WB R

John Hadzic - D/WB R

Yeah...nothing really to say. Our academy better start putting out better players. Hopefuly our junior coaching increase will help.

2016 Pre-Season

The Stats

Major League Soccer: Be competitive in the MLS

Nutrilite Canadian Championship: Win the Canadian Championship

Wage Budget: $3 806 234

Currently Spending: $4 310 010

Salary Cap: $3 409 786

Spending minus Allowance: $1 944 301 ($1 465 485 cap space available)

Allocation Funds: $1 003 725

Kit Sponsorship: $3.61M (expires 2016)

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $121K (expires 2017)

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $101K (expires 2019)

Average Ticket Price: $32.10

Average Season Ticket Price: $413.00

Season Ticket Holders: 15 951

Estimated Value: $56M

National Club Ranking in USA: 17th

Goals

• Draft well - I have 3 1st Round picks!
  • Make the playoffs
  • Win the Canadian Championship

The Canadian Championship has to be a priority as it decided which club for Canada qualifies for the CONCACAF Champions League. It's a short competition, with only 4 clubs in it, so I can finish it off quick and get back to concentrating on the league. I'm also very happy with having 3 1st Round picks. I have the 4th, 5th, and 12th picks overall.

3 January 2016

espn-soccernet.png?w=600

2016 Summer Olympic Games Heats Up as Cerud Takes Canada U23s Job

The success that Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Cerud has had in club soccer is exactly what the Canadian contingent is hoping to bank on as the Games come up in a few months. The CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Round is starting in two months and no nation has qualified yet. In accepting the job, Cerud stated:

"The Olympics Games is an opportunity to represent one's country. While head coaches can manage wherever, I've always dreamed of taking Canada into international competition. These boys have trained for a long time. I aim to see us into these Olympics."

u23s.png

CSA-200x195.png

Canada Under 23s - Canadian Soccer Association

We have the CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifiers coming up in early March. First priority is to create a squad. The groups are as follows:

Group A: Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, United States

Group B: Cuba, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico

We should qualify from our group above Costa Rica and El Salvador. The United States may be tricky.

interesting career move, can understand your decision to go your hometown club though. good luck with them and the Canada u23 side, hope to see you in the olympics :thup:

Thanks, PaulHartman71 :) Yeah, with the 2016 Olympics this year, I figured this would be a great way to gain some international management experience quickly. The Qualifying Rounds are in a couple months with the Olympic themselves soon after. Then I can quit the U23s as they have nothing else to do for another 4 years.

2016 MLS SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft

MLS SuperDraft

1st Round

2nd Round

3rd Round

MLS SuperDraft Grades

• Houston - A+
  • Chivas USA - A+
  • FC Dallas - A+
  • Seattle - B+
  • San Jose - B+
  • Portland - B
  • Los Angeles - B
  • Sporting Kansas City - C+
  • New York - C+
  • Real Salt Lake - C+
  • Chicago - C+
  • DC United - C+
  • New England - C+
  • Philadelphia - C+
  • Vancouver - C+
  • Toronto FC - C
  • Columbus - D
  • Colorado - E

MLS Supplemental Draft

We waived all of our draft picks in the Supplemental Draft as there were no players would be able to make the squad.

You got some solid picks. They should all play a part of the team in the upcoming season.

Thanks, rancer. I like my 1st round picks and Rodríguez and Green should get some playing time. I have a lot of midfleiders and will need to unload, but I can at least tutor Silver. Stephens may see some time too as I need a backup right winger. The other two will likely get released on waivers before the season, but we'll see.

That was quick!! Hard to resist the hometown club as PH71 said. Best of luck with the Whitecaps. Interesting move with the U23 job as well. :thup:

Yeah, I think fans in Los Angeles may be feeling a little bit of whiplash ;)

That stadium looks good. In terms of finances, how different are LA Galaxy to Vancouver?

Do you have any designated players?

BC Place just underwent a massive overhaul last year in real life. The Whitecaps share the stadium with the BC Lions, Vancouver's team in the CFL, the Canadian Football League (North American football...you know? the sport where they have to talk to 4 minutes to figure out the next 4 seconds of play? ;) )

As for as finances go, both teams are doing well. LA has a lot of money, about $75M; whereas Vancouver has just under $20M. However, Vancouver also just bought their stadium before I came to the team and has no loans or debt.

My DP players are Marinho and Alejandro Bedoya. I've also just signed Bedoya to a longer contract. I may let Marinho go at the end of the season to try and get someone new. He just doesn't seem to find well within the current squad.

2016 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Soccer Qualifiers

8 March 2016

United+States.pngCanada+Flag.png

United States U23s 1 - 0 Canada U23s

We were lucky to only lose by one. This was our first match, so our tactical knowledge was poor. Thankfully our defensive game was good, to which I attribute to 3 of my players at Vancouver. I have 3 Whitecaps players in my squad, all defenders. They and our goalkeeper kept us in this game and the competition.

A much better game! Our tactical knowledge increased dramatically to an adequate level. While the match stats show a fairly level game in which we edged, the level of play on the pitch showed us well on top.

12 March 2016

Canada+Flag.pngflag_256.jpg

Canada U23s 6 - 1 El Salvador U23s

We took an early lead adn then things started to get out of hand. El Salvador started playing for blood, injuring 3 of my players in the last half of the match and forcing me to 10 players on the pitch due to previously made substitutions. It's didn't slow us down as 2 of our goals came with only these 10 men.

Group A Table

standy.png

So, the final group table has us qualifying for the semi-final round just below the United States. CONCACAF has two nations that qualify for the Olympics, so we only need to win the semi-finals and we will qualify. However, our likely opposition will either be Mexico or Honduras, both good footballing nations. We're not finished yet!

17 March 2016

Canada+Flag.pngMexico%20Flag.png

Mexico U23s 3 - 0 Canada U23s

This match was simply a one-sided slaughter. The first half sent us crying in the corner. We held them in the second half to an even draw, but it wasn't enough. The better squad advanced through.

Final

Mexico U23s 4 - 0 Honduras U23s

So, not even the United States advanced. The two likely nations to move on to the Olypmics qualified.

2016 Off-Season Transfers

Squad | Transfers - The MLS is always a busy place for trades, especially with the multiple drafts and the ability to trade anything that's not nailed down. We also made some good money in this off-season with the movement of one of our players to Norway.

Chronology

5 December 2015 - traded Michel Amon to the Philadelphia Union (USA) for a 2016 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Philadelphia).

2 January 2016 - traded $3K in allocation funds to FC Edmonton (Canada) for Robbie Rajkovic.

5 January 2016 - signed Blair Gavin on a free transfer.

5 January 2016 - traded Mancuso to Sporting Kansas City (USA) for a 2016 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (Kansas City) and a 2017 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Kansas City).

5 January 2016 - signed Jorge Villafaña on a free transfer.

7 January 2016 - MLS SuperDraft

12 January 2016 - MLS Supplemental Draft

21 January 2016 - signed André-Pierre Gignac on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - signed Niclas Heimann on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - traded $35K in allocation funds to Sporting Central Academy FC (Jamaica) from Roscoe Gallimore.

21 January 2016 - signed Nelson Rivas on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - signed Matías Sánchez on a free transfer.

6 February 2016 - traded Nick DeLeon to Molde FK (Norway) for $2.4M.

10 February 2016 - traded Casey Townsend to Real Salt Lake (USA) for $725K in allocation funds, a 2017 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Salt Lake), and a 2017 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (San Jose).

13 February 2016 - signed Scott Bolton in a Weighted Lottery.

2 March 2016 - released Juan Francisco, Pablo Ponce, and Keith Stephens on Waivers.

3 March 2016 - released Stefan Cucca, John Hadzic, and Tim Xausa on Waivers.

3 March 2016 - MLS Waiver Draft

2016 End of Pre-Season

The Matches

Canada - Vancouver Thunderbirds - won 3-0

United States - Knoxville Force - won 8-0

South Africa - Bay United - won 2-0

United States - Seattle Sounders - tied 1-1

Canada - Toronto FC - won 3-2

Canada - Victoria United - won 7-1

Pre-Season Thoughts

We have definitely built a better squad with more depth, strong leaders, and good youth prospects. Our pre-season went well, but now it's time to test in the actual league. I think a playoff spot should be considered a minimum.

In other news, I've also begun to see my name attached to jobs in England's Championship League, France's Ligue 1 Orange, Spain's Liga Adelante, and Portugal's Ligo ZON SAGRES, to name a few. I'd like to stick around to see Vancouver into the CONCACAF Champions League, but if an offer comes that is simply too good.... ;)

26 March 2016

espn-soccernet.png?w=600

Cerud Steps Down from Canada U23s

After a hard fought challenge for an Olynpic spot and failing to achieve one, Cerud has stepped down as manager of the Canadian U23s squad. The resignation was expected as the squad disbands to join either the senior or U20 squads. Speaking to the media earlier today, Cerud stated:

"The opportunity to coach for Canada was a dream come true. I only wish we could have beat our expectations. However, both Mexico and Honduras are quality squads. We knew that it would be a difficult match regardless of who we faced. The second half against Mexico was a good one for the boys, but we needed 90 minutes, not 45 minutes. But we'll be back in four years, stronger and more hungry."

CSA-200x195.png

Given that the Under 23s will not play any more matches for 4 years, setting down was a no brainer. I wish we would have qualified, but playing Mexico was always going to be difficult. I may go into international management again, but I'm not actively looking for it right now.

canadax.png

Managerial National Record

u23s.png

Plans

No international management plans now, just working on moving the Whitecaps up the league.

March 2016 Update

The League

Only two matches in March to begin the season, but we performed well. Began our campaign with a win away to New England and a tie to FC Dallas. I was hoping we would hang of for the Dallas match, but they scored in the final quarter.

fixi.png

The Standings

standtw.png

Managerial Thoughts

We're still early in the season, so there's not too much to say. Now that I've left my position with the Canadian U23s, I can devote all my time to the Whitecaps.

Solid work to get some good players at a non-DP pricetag. :thup:

Thanks, rancer. I was very happy to sign the players I did at non-DP prices. However, I did have to bribe their agents a bit ;) Stilll blows my mind that FM allows us to pay agents directly in MLS, especially since in real life that would have me in jail.

April 2016 Update

The League

A very good month even though it ended with our season's first loss. We have showed that we can score goals from all over and from many contributors. The Real Salt Lake loss stung, but they are considered a top team.

fixm.png

The Standings

stand.png

Managerial Thoughts

Still a very tight Western Conference. We are getting close to a quarter of the season in and the draw for the Canadian Championship will likely be the coming month. This will congest the schedule a bit, but I think we have the depth to match it.

Archived