Wigan - Onwards And Upwards

Update Two - Twenty Match Update

Summary

A good month, was difficult as we played many top teams, but we were in every game, looking good for the turn of the year. Really impressed with Sigurdson and Cisse, outstanding at the start of the year. Targetting a minimum of 7th. Hopefully that will be enough to see us get into the Europa League!

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovm.png

Fixtures

wiganathleticfixturesfi.png

Squad Performance

wiganathleticsquadplaye.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

during this run of games ive had a personal achievment ...

oliverconnollynewsinbox.png

Also the Almeria tycoon takeover went through, will keep a close eye on them like leece, would love to take them at some point and topple the big two. With me looking to win three champions leagues, with three different clubs from three nations, it could may well be, Wigan, Almeria and Leece.

Update Three - Thirty Match Update

Summary

An ok set of results, but there have been far too many draws. Some good draws e.g. Tottenham, Liverpool. But there has also been some poor draws such as Aston Villa at home. If we dont get 7th or even 6th now it will be a massive opportunity missed. It seems if Cisse scores the flood gates open, if he doesnt we cant win. Despite a very hard run-in i back us to finish 7th. It is a stretch of games that has seen us produce the best match under my stewardship as manager, being at home to QPR.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovi.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

QPR Match

wiganvqprstatsmatchstat.png

Update Four - End of Season Update

Summary

Another strong season, however far too many draws. We should really have finished 7th, but seems as it wouldnt have brought us a Europa league place im not too fussed. If i'm at Wigan next season its going to be all about, continuing to improve and challenging for europe.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovx.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

Player of the Season/PFA Young Player of the Year

gylfisigurssonoverviewa.png

439x.jpg

It's been an interesting season, despite acheiving more than the club has ever achieved i feel slightly dissapointed that has we converted just a couple of draws into wins we would be into Europe. The style of play however has been astonishing, i didnt think this sort of football could be played by these sorts of players. However with release clauses in the contracts of Cisse, Sturridge and Henderson, we may as a club be ripped apart this off-season.

Player of the Season

Gylfi Sigurdson - Double club player of the year (and PFA Young Player of the Year)

Top Five Moments

1: 2-1 win away at Anfield

2: Sigurdson winning double PFA young player of the year

3: 5-1 win over QPR

4: Over thirty goals for Pappis Cisse

5: achieving the club's highest ever finish

Although it has been another good season at Wigan, im beginning to feel that my style and the type of players I can bring in may have reached its limits. So it may be time for me to seek pastures new, i have been linked to a whole host of jobs with my contract up at Wigan, so i need everyones help. Stay or go?

Job Offers

oliverconnollynewsinboxo.png

I've also recieved a new contract offer of Wigan as well as being highly linked to the vacant Juventus job, which im personal front runner at the moment

A very solid season with Wigan. Are you tempted to leave?

Very tempted yes, but i don't know, the only solid offer i have is Sevilla, which is a club in a poor state. The issue is the players 'interested' in joining are about half the quality of the players i have, who are all being chased by top teams. So its going to be very difficult to improve the squad so i may have took them as far as i can.

If Sevilla are in such a poor state I probably wouldnt join them and stick it out with Wigan until something better comes along.

Well there's high interest from Juventus and Arsenal, so im not sure, dont think i could manage another english club at the moment, so still unsure haha

Pre-Season

Fixtures

Transfers

wigantransfershistory.png

Transfer Summary

Trevor Sheehan - A good young irish prospect, James McClean like. Will be interesting to see him progress

Joe Allen - A fantastic player, that really shows just how strong our midfield will now be. Comes from a similar style of play from Swansea and is a fantastic addition.

James Forest - Having lost Sturridge due to his release clause i had to get in another Right Winger. Forest is a very good British prospect and fits what we're trying to do.

Gerard Deulofeu - A great prospect from our idol club. For free as well it could be the best bit of business in this clubs history.

Marc Muniesa - Similar to Deulofeu, not as much talent but can play our system a fantastic 'ball-playing' centre-half. Helps reduce the average age of our squad after losing Caldwell.

Tomas Kalas - adds another young body to our defence and once again a free transfer

Stephen Warnock - After letting Costa good for a good offer, we needed back up to Ekotto, Warnock is experienced and will be a good tutour

Vito Mannone - A competent back up to Lindegaard, With Al-Habsi refusing to sign a new deal i had to let him go for a decent offer.

Ryan Bennet - The biggest spend of our summer, I wanted him last year but he chose Newcastle. Very good with the ball at feet and good pace too. Was extremley dissapointed to miss out on Phil Jones and getting Steven Caulker back on loan, but Bennett is a good option.

Josh McEachran - Very good young prospect like Pogba was last year. Hope to foster a relation like with pogba to enable us to sign him in the future.

Some good transfers there, but also some dissapointments, we lost out on Michael Carrick, Joe Cole and most dissapointingly Phil Jones to West Ham

Phil Jones

philjonesoverviewprofil.png

My personal favourite transfer of the summer was N'Zonzi great steal infront of the back four. After losing Topal and Hargreaves (one sold one to retirement) we needed another quality body in, will rotate with Gago

Steven N'Zonzi

zonzioverviewprofile.png

Season Four - Update One - Ten Match Update

Summary

Well its been an indifferent start to the season. I've made a tactical switch to three at the back with a holding midfielder shielding infront. Against the teams in and around us we have been superb. Against the top six clubs i went back to the tried and tested, but we've been getting wipped away easily. The defending has been abysmal (e.g. The screen shot of the man city game) I dont understand why the new tactic has performed so much better than our tried and tested, but im going to continue with the three at the back season.

league Table

barclayspremierleagueovv.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

Manchester City Game

wiganvmancitytvview.png

It looks like they're defending with Four at the back, but thats their forward men :L

Update Two - Twenty Match Update

Summary

A really astonishing run. We began it the way we ended the last, creating chances, missing and conceding many, many goals. after the dismal defeats at West Brom and at home to Swansea, we switched our tactics to less about passing for passing sake, to more creative passing to get us into the channels and goalscoring positions.

Since the switch we've been on a remarkable run, no draws either wins or losses. In doing so we've pushed ourselves into the top half and with a chance to really press for Europe this year. The outstanding performance being the 8-1 home win over Villa, without Cisse to score over two was a shock for us. Eight was almost baffling. We are also into the Semi-Finals of the Carling cup against West Brom, this presents us with a fantastic chance to get to Wembley and possibly win that elusive piece of Silverware i've been chasing for the Latics.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovu.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

Aston Villa Game

wiganvastonvillainforma.png

Update Three - Thirty Match Update

Summary

The best run of results whilst i've been at the club. Challenging for the top four and winning a cup. It has been sensational we have only dropped points in one league game and that was away to the run away leaders. I really wanted to leave at the end of the year, but as it stands i am loving life at Wigan again. This run has been completley down to Sigurdson and Muniain. Whilst Cisse was away at the African Cup of Nations they carried the team. I think we can now finish a minimum of 6th and really look to attack that top four.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovy.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

A great run going, ollie! Much deserved win in the Carling Cup too! :) Always nice to add to the trophy cabinet. Champions League is close but sucks that Liverpool has so many games in hand on you.

Awesome season so far. I knew staying would be the right choice ;) Congrats with the Carling Cup win.

I would argue that as long as you can hang on to all of your top players this summer, you shouldn't need to strengthen too much.

Another pre-season together and the players will gel even more.

Excellent season and brilliant work lifting the League Cup :)
Awesome season so far. I knew staying would be the right choice;) Congrats with the Carling Cup win.

I would argue that as long as you can hang on to all of your top players this summer, you shouldn't need to strengthen too much.

Another pre-season together and the players will gel even more.

A great run going, ollie! Much deserved win in the Carling Cup too! :) Always nice to add to the trophy cabinet. Champions League is close but sucks that Liverpool has so many games in hand on you.

Cheers lads, its been an odd season, we havent played anywhere near as well as the last too but look where we are! haha, i think me staying this year very much depends on Champions League football now, although i would love to have a crack at Europe with Wigan even if it is the Europa League so im inclined to give it one more crack of the whip

Just thought i'd give people a quick update as it stands with two to play as im very very excited haha

League Table

barclayspremierleagueov.png

Man Utd Game

manutdvwiganinformation.png

As the 2nd goal went in a Gary Neville orgasmed 'oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, unbelievable!!'

We have QPR at home and Spurs away to finish the season.

Update Four - End of Season Update

Summary

An unbelievable end to the season for little old Wigan. What a dramatic last day it was, and it came down to the final kick off a ball, we were 2-0 down away at Spurs and City led Fulham 3-0 away. It left be with a horrible regretful feeling. But an Emmanuel Villa goal (which proved to make all the difference) made it 3-1 and Craven Cottage. A thunderbolt from James Forrest made it to at The Lane. Before an 86th minute equalizer from Ikier Muiain, will forever go down it Latics' folklaw. It is however not over, as despite us beating City to fourth place on not goal difference but goals scored. Manchester Utd square of against Real Madrid at the Millenium stadium to decide our fate. My nerves will be jangling!!

League Table

barclayspremierleagueov.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

Wigan - End Of Season Review

131622300_crop_450x500.jpg?1320735310

Player of the Season / PFA Player of the Year

Gylfi Sigurdson

Top Five Moments

1- Qualifying for the Champions League

2- Winning the Carling Cup

3- Winning 3-0 at Old Trafford

4- Gylfi Sigurdson winning PFA Player of the Year

5- 8-1 Win at home to Aston Villa

As well as Sigurdson's award, Pappis Cisse won the Golden boot, but the manager of the year award went to Paul Jewell! Outraged!!

I take my hat off to you. ****ing brilliant :thup:.

Cheers guys, yes its been an unbelievable, Cant believe its happened in four years tbh, ecspecially after a very poor start at the beginning of last season.

Yeah the drawn could have been a lot worse, but still a tough opposition, but we'll see how we go!

Archived