Congested fixture list - time off or easier training?

Hey,

In season 2 I find myself 11 points ahead at the top of the league with 4 games to go, in the FA final and in the Champions Cup semi-final.

Essentially, I have a game every 2/3 days for the next few weeks!

Apart from squad rotation I want to try and preserve my teams condition. Is it best to give them 1/2/3 days off training when they need it, assuming they are no.1 pick. Or is it better to give them a very light training schedule.

Also....

Quick Poll:

If you had the season tied up, would you be willing to field a weaker team in order to secure the FA and Champions Cup? and I DO mean a weaker team...... 4/5 first choice not on the field type thing. OR would you want to protect what is a very good season?

Regards

LAM

Over intense stages like Dec/Jan I tend to give them a week of rest from training. They dont really lose anything due to the amount of games. I'm now waiting for someone to rubbish that however...

And two...

If the league is mathematically certain then yes, rest your players for the other competitions. The job is done, now go get the other trophies. Imho.

I have just had a series of games which happened. I played three games in 3 days. December 26th, 27th and 28th. I didnt realise it until the first game came about, I didnt change my training or give them time off and it wasnt until the third game that a few players fell under 90% fitness/condition.

As I play in Brazil I tend to play around 86 games a season meaning morealess a game every 2-3 days for the full year so I experience this a lot. A pre-season schedule before the start of a season will help your players greatly when you're in situations like this as players should be fitter. If you try to give them time off training regular towards the end of the season this wont actually help your situation but will worsen it. A little rest might help but if it's too often then the players condition and match fitness wont be as good due to not training.

What I do is rotate players and always have an eye on the next fixture. If I have players who I cannot afford to drop then I'll sub them around the 60 mins mark so they can play a part in the next fixture and so on.

I also end up with around 30 players all away on international duty for like 4-6 weeks at a time quite a lot which means I always have to field a weak side for quite a number of games in succession.

I stick to the same training style all the time and never give my players rest from it, however, I do rotate my squad like a maniac, probably more so then I need to

so I have never really had any fittness problems when I run into a congested section of the session

If you had the season tied up, would you be willing to field a weaker team in order to secure the FA and Champions Cup? and I DO mean a weaker team...... 4/5 first choice not on the field type thing. OR would you want to protect what is a very good season?
yes, I would probably do that even if I did not have the season wraped up

I find myself rotating a lot. Ideally, I have 2 players for each position plus a few versatile players and/or youngsters as subs, so about 25 players total in the first team. What I've been doing recently is saving 2 different team selections (you can do this from the tactics screen), I take a good look at the fixture list and use my A Team against stronger opponents and the B Team against lesser ones.

I never have fatigue problems towards the end of the season this way. Of course this only works if you can afford such a large squad, and your B Team shouldn't be pants, just slightly worse than the first choice.

I find myself rotating a lot. Ideally, I have 2 players for each position plus a few versatile players and/or youngsters as subs, so about 25 players total in the first team. What I've been doing recently is saving 2 different team selections (you can do this from the tactics screen), I take a good look at the fixture list and use my A Team against stronger opponents and the B Team against lesser ones.

I never have fatigue problems towards the end of the season this way. Of course this only works if you can afford such a large squad, and your B Team shouldn't be pants, just slightly worse than the first choice.

I do something very similar, I also have two saved team selections. Usually I will use my first team in league games and the second team in cup and continental games. And If I have a tough cup/continental game, I may invert things. This a great way to give playing time to youngsters and backups and keep everyone fit and happy.

Im pretty sure there is a thread here, based on on either FM10 or 11, but it says that detailed research showed that giving players time off from training doesnt actually improve their condition any quicker. They will recover condition at the same rate whether training or not.

Anicidotally i would back this up, i am playing in BSS where not only are there plenty games but the players tend to lack natural fitness anyway. I have tried resting between games and it doesnt seem to impact. The only reason to rest players is either to avoid training injuries before a big game or if players are unhappy.

Im pretty sure there is a thread here, based on on either FM10 or 11, but it says that detailed research showed that giving players time off from training doesnt actually improve their condition any quicker. They will recover condition at the same rate whether training or not.

Anicidotally i would back this up, i am playing in BSS where not only are there plenty games but the players tend to lack natural fitness anyway. I have tried resting between games and it doesnt seem to impact. The only reason to rest players is either to avoid training injuries before a big game or if players are unhappy.

It actually lowers the chance that condition will rise if a player isn't training as condition is reliant on training. All it will do is benefit the player if he is tired and in the need of a rest. That just means he's been playing too much though and is not a direct result of training.

Well.... time for an update.

I rested my key players and lost an additional game, which I was not happy about, BUT I did win the FA cup, against Arsenal :) and won the Champions cup, against Man United :).

That means I did the treble..... in my second season :)

I guess, like most things, pride has to take a back seat, and it's all about the results.

:)

Archived