What is the point of holidaying?

So is being a professional manager of a football team
This argument, if valid, could be applied to every single complaint about realism, even if it is valid.

"Heskey just scored 30 goals against Barcelona in my game! This is unrealistic!"

"So is being a professional manager of a football team."

I think 'holiday' is a misnomer. It should be called 'auto-continue' or something like that. I have 2 kids and a busy job so i only play maybe 5 hours a week these days so it's a good option to pass the time when not a lot happens - i.e. international breaks and end of season. Whenever i click the holiday button i like to imagine i'm on a working holiday, dragging the wife to madagascar on a 'scouting misson'

I spend on holidays 8-10% of my gametime. The main reason is to save the real time in low important periods of game. For example, if I have 4 games in those I need to collect only 4 points, and opponents are not strong I prefer to go on holiday. It will save me an hour of real time.

I never holiday in off-season because the main transfer activities occur in this time. Chairman can occassionally sell your best players, some clubs can occassionally release some good players, and you should not loose moment.

I love scouting and transfers as much as anyone, but at this point my squads are stock full of undeveloped talents, and for the most part I refuse to sign the finished article. So really, for me the challenge is to win titles AND simultaneously develop youth. Its a lot of fun, and makes me look forward to actually playing the season, not just wanting to get it over with. The small games are where you decide how much risk do you take, how many youngsters do you give a run out (and still expect to win, seeing as the point is still to win titles)?

Even though I don't use the holiday feature (due to the game's nasty habit of gutting MLS teams if you leave them in charge for a second) I agree with the games being of lesser interest than the end of season stuff. I view the actual season as a chore that I have to go through in order to get the rewards of the off season.

I love scouting and transfers as much as anyone, but at this point my squads are stock full of undeveloped talents, and for the most part I refuse to sign the finished article. So really, for me the challenge is to win titles AND simultaneously develop youth. Its a lot of fun, and makes me look forward to actually playing the season, not just wanting to get it over with. The small games are where you decide how much risk do you take, how many youngsters do you give a run out (and still expect to win, seeing as the point is still to win titles)?

Same for me; the so-called unimportant matches take on greater significance as they are key to developing my youth players. Unfortunately in my world league I only get about 2 easy games a season!

If you leave a Team you have to Holiday and select Accept any job offer. It saves waiting for a job to be offered and just clicking continue to look at dull news.

Also the end of season wait. In England always skip it to July 20th. So it doesn't take forever to skip, and also enough time to place offers.

I've found it's a greater challenge to build a squad and let the AI control my team in games. It's too easy to coach games once your team gets really good. I also have a huge database that takes my machine about 6 hours to simulate an entire year. Since I've basically turned Borussia Dortmund into Barcelona (seriously only .3B left to catch up to them in the richest department) I just scout every single player and then simulate to June 1st and sign all the players I want.

I do pick the first team and tactics though. I found the AI was too stupid to win with my team unless I told it what tactics and who to use. FYI, I haven't won the champions league yet, but I've won the first division for the last 8 years straight and I usually make it to the semis in the champ league. One time I did make it to the final, but lost 2-1 to Arsenal in 2018.

Edit: dear lord I hope us Gooners don't have to wait that long before we win the champions league trophy.

Matches are my favorite part of the game. I bet you would of won a few Champions Leagues if you played the matches. I try to get through the off-season as quickly as possible and don't search for players manually and just use the reports my scouts have accumulated. Once I've got a top squad I don't make many signings anyway. The only matches I don't watch are friendlies as they are just for fitness. I probably get through off-season in about an hour or so.

Its funny how differently people play the game.

Matches are my favorite part of the game. I bet you would of won a few Champions Leagues if you played the matches. I try to get through the off-season as quickly as possible and don't search for players manually and just use the reports my scouts have accumulated. Once I've got a top squad I don't make many signings anyway. The only matches I don't watch are friendlies as they are just for fitness. I probably get through off-season in about an hour or so.

Its funny how differently people play the game.

I do enjoy matches. I've been playing like this for years though. Whenever I actually want to win the Champions League, I actually play the matches once I get to the later stages. It's just that I want to win because my team is unbeatable, not because I'm a better manager than some goofy AI.

Edit: I guess I could say I'm more of a GM & scout than a manager.

• 2 weeks later...

I holiday to match day, because once I have rested the players that need rest (or morale improvement), what else is there for me to do in the 3 days between games? Press conference? Been to thousands already, no thanks. Scouting? Transfers? Tactics? Pretty much everything is taken care of. I am constantly checking out the opposition, their tactics, their top players, so there is no need to do that in the three days leading up, I can just do a quick check on match day to see who is injured for them, their most recent formation and results, and off to the match we go.

It lets me power through the useless messages a lot quicker and with a lot less space bar.

Holidaying is nice when you're fed up with managing for a while, and would rather play more as a hands-on chairman. Buy and sell players, but leave the tactics and everything else to the ass. man. Or rather, it was nice - but now you no longer get the credit for a successful season (or a bad one), but rather your as.man gets credited. The game used to not be aware that it was actually your ass.man in charge of most things managewise, but now it does. With a good ass.man you could very well win stuff as well - hell, sometimes he did better than I could. I used to holiday for 1 day immediately before the next match, leaving everything about the match up to the ass.man, then "come back" after the match to take care of things, whealing and dealing.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure - but it helped pass the time when I was a bit tired of all the micro-managing.

I have never used the holiday option but having read some of the replies on this thread I might use it more often, how long would it take to skip through a 2 week international break then? I always get bored during these!

well, this thread has enlightened me to a new way to get through those seasons a bit quicker, and now I feel that getting into 2020 in my game is a possibility before FM13 is released! cheers guys! :D

Archived