The Full 90 Minutes - What I Do

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks found this thread very useful.

seems obvious to do some of this, but not.

tried freezing the game at key points and amazing how much it's helped me to tweak my tactic and improve it's effectiveness.

Thanks Man !!

Cheers. It makes all the hassle of making a thread worth it to know it has helped someone :)

• 1 month later...
screenshot five.png

It’s important that I track the individual stats still so I always pause and go and check them out. In the screenshot you can see what the assistant meant when he said we were dominating tackling the department and out passes were connecting. The screenshot also shows that my right back Angel is doing most of the tackling so Villa’s play must be coming down the left. It also shows that his condition is getting low already after just 5 minutes game time played.

I’m quite happy with the way the game is going and those stats. The average ratings seem reasonable too and no-one is under performing as of yet.

How do you use the individual stats to modify individual player instructions, or instructions? how do you identify what's wrong?, ie

If a player is misplacing a lot of passes, how can I find what's wrong? is he being marked by someone too good, should I instruct to make longer passes, shorter passes, run with the ball more often?

Same with tackling and headers, what's the best way to find what's causing him trouble?

How do you use the individual stats to modify individual player instructions, or instructions? how do you identify what's wrong?, ie

If a player is misplacing a lot of passes, how can I find what's wrong? is he being marked by someone too good, should I instruct to make longer passes, shorter passes, run with the ball more often?

Same with tackling and headers, what's the best way to find what's causing him trouble?

Use the analysis tab and click on the dots on the pitch to view the clips back. Then you'll know exactly why something isn't working. Then you'll see if passes are to short, too long and so on.

sorry, forgot to say thanks :), this is a great thread, I read it a long time ago and it helped me a lot to improve my results, nowadays when I get too lazy and don't want to watch the first few minutes I know is time to take a break. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out I usually don't mess with sliders and just use shouts, but been wanting to give it a go for a while, I'll see if this helps any.

sorry, forgot to say thanks :), this is a great thread, I read it a long time ago and it helped me a lot to improve my results, nowadays when I get too lazy and don't want to watch the first few minutes I know is time to take a break. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out I usually don't mess with sliders and just use shouts, but been wanting to give it a go for a while, I'll see if this helps any.

No worries mate :)

• 4 weeks later...

Loved it!! I was pretty upset with my team really. I didn't watch any match in full. Now that i'm watching, its great and its easier to know what to tweak. And by the way is there any thread explaining the opposition instructions? I keen to learn it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very informative thread. I have been taking some of the principles into my own save with varying degrees of success and would like some help! most recently I played a match which i ended up losing to a 91st goal 1-0. I will talk you through my analysis of what happened and what i did and would be interested to know what you might have done differently. a pkm of the game is also here http://www.sendspace.com/file/nv4b8w. its in FMC as my playing time is limited.

I was slight favourite playing away from home. i am predicted to finish in the playoffs and was hoping to win this match, the first of the new season (4-5 new signings, only 2 in the starting line up). I played a 4-1-2-2-1 rigid/ counter/ direct passing. Why? its league 1 football so i prefer direct passing due to the bad pitches and usually wet weather. i lined up with GK, 2 CB (D), 2 FB(S) Anchor(D), BWM(S), BWM(S), 2 Wingers (S), DLF (A).

Why- because it was successful last season and i found 2 BWM in lower league football when countering can be effective.

Notts county played a 4-4-2 and were faily conservative at home. i noticed their wingers pushed forward and full backs stayed back. their 2 CMs sat very deep and passed to feet.

i watched the whole game on comprehensive and noticed we were losing the possession battle in the first 15 min. i was tempted to shout hassle opponents, get stuck in and push higher up as Cleon suggests in this thread. however they did not create any great chances and i didnt want to risk pushing higher up in case they played through my higher line pressing defence. i therefore left everything on default. as im playing counter i am not bothered about posession.

the game meanders along as you will see if watching the pkm. we miss a ccc and create once or twice more so i leave things as they are.

around the 69th minute i notice they are playing wider and their wingers are pushing up (FB's still staying back) further so it think i shouted pass into space to exploit the holes. there is nothing of concern happening and i settle for a draw. however to my horror in the 91st minute their winger who is very wide with my FB in attendance puts in a cross which is somehow nodded home and i lose the game.

having watched again in dont think i did much wrong. if we had taken our chances we would have won or got a draw. the loss may be down to player quality or an ungelled squad. However i would be very grateful if someone could take a look at the pkm and suggest what i could have done in game to stop this loss. should i have hassled opponents or got stuck in? should i have addressed the deep CMs and if so how (no OI available on FMC)?

many thanks to anyone who can help!

I posted this elsewhere but it's kinda gone un-noticed so I thought I'd put it here for the wider audience.

The first 15 Minutes

For me one of the most important aspects of the game is the first fifteen minutes as this is the time I change the tactic and decide how I’ll play. Most of the changes I do are actually done in this period of time, I still change things throughout the game if I feel its need but the actual way I’ll set up and play is done in the first fifteen minutes.

Why?

Well why not? It’s no good doing all the prep for a game before the actual kick off as all your preparation could be all for nothing as the opposition might not play how you envisaged. Or other factors might play a part. The only way you can tell how you need to play and set up is from viewing the game itself. Anyone who says different is simply wrong in my opinion. If you don’t watch games then how the hell do you know what’s going on?

Hopefully this part of the thread will give you a little insight into how I approach the game and change stuff based on what I see happening. A lot of people might be a little disappointed in my approach as it’s probably not as extreme as some of you may be expecting. While this approach seems daunting and a lot of fiddling about, this isn’t really the case it’s not as hard as you think.

So here goes.

This is how the screen looks (It’s nothing special though);

Overview.png

I know it looks a bit messy but I can still see all the important play that happens on the field. The things I have selected are my own side’s motivation widget, detailed match stats and the assistant feedback widgets.

It’s important that I know how my players feel during the game at all times. If you don’t play close attention to this widget then it can prove costly or you might not understand why a certain player made a mistake etc.

The detailed stats widget is also used so I can track all the little tedious stats and know exactly what’s going on in the game.

The assistant’s feedback is also shown on the screen although it’s minimized for now. That’s because the assistant only offers feedback in 15 minute intervals. So he’ll update what he’s saying every 15 mins iirc. That’s the reason it’s minimized for now. It’s also worth pointing out I don’t always listen to him or do any of the changes he recommends. I just like to see what he thinks even if I don’t react to what he says.

That’s really it for how I set up the widgets for the opening 15 minutes. If I was watching the full game then this would differ and I’d also track the opposition’s motivation widget so I could just keep an eye on things. Then if someone is playing nervous I might target them through opposition instructions if it’s an important defensive player or attacker. But I don’t find this useful for me in the opening minutes. Although some will dispute that and I guess that’s fair enough. But I don’t want to deviate away from my own game plan this early on as it could have a negative effect for me.

Once the game starts I keep randomly pausing the game in different scenarios to have a look at the player’s positions and to check the opposition’s positions as well.

first%20screen.png

In the above screenshot you can see my right back as lost the ball so this is something to keep an eye on and see if it is a regular occurrence. If it is then it could be useful to restrict him running with the ball as often. But I won’t change that yet as it could just be a one off.

The yellow line for me represents a dangerous area of the pitch. From the position of where the ball currently is there is no immediate danger but there could be as the play unfolds.

The plus side is my defence are all in a line and Aston Villa don’t have many people making any kind of runs. My side seem to be positioned well and should be able to deal with this situation with ease.

In the end Villa knock the ball backwards as there is nowhere for them to go forward really. I’m pleased with how the defence kept its shape for this particular move although it is still only 33 seconds into the game.

second%20screen.png

That screenshot shows me after winning the ball back and beginning to start an attacking move. The circled players are all in space and could be classed as potential passing options. But due to how the player is facing a certain way and is already moving then his only real genuine passing options are those represented by arrows. He has 3 genuine passing options available to him.

That is a positive sign as it shows that my players are finding space already and I have good options available for trying to retain the ball. Due to this I decide to time waste a little bit more. Why? Well I’m already having quite a bit of time on the ball so if I can slow the play down even more then I believe this will be an advantage for me. It will also mean the Aston Villa players will be chasing the ball more and could get tired a lot quicker than normal.

third%20screen.png

The next screenshot shows Aston Villa clearing the ball up front. It’s important that I paused the game when this happened so I could check how many people Villa had high up and I could also check my player’s positions again in a defensive situation. My players are positioned well enough to deal with this situation especially as I have the numbers back too. Even if by some fluke the Villa player wins the header he doesn’t have anyone advanced over the line I drew meaning my players should be able to pick up any lose balls.

Dear Cleon, it is really informative reading your thread. Due to time constraint i am playing FMC, so how shd i go for FMC as some setting are different from the full version?

Thanks

thanks lewis999. sorry for my poor english as i always found difficult to understand the thread well & express myself well.

It may not be the case that FMC have different setting, it may be simply i cant find where is it. :)

I means where should i get the "my own side’s motivation widget" & "detailed match stats widgets" ?

Thanks

sorry if i could ask : if my team instruction pass set short, shout set to pass to feet OR pass to space which will make my passing style shorter?

I haven't been on FMC so I don't know about the widgets but I would imagine there is an option while you are in a match.

Pass into space and pass to feet don't change passing length from what I remember, they just change the through balls for your player's so it doesn't always necessarily mean short passing = pass to feet and direct passing = pass into space as you can have a long pass to someone's feet and a short pass that cuts through a defence.

If you are wanting to keep possession then I would pick pass to feet but if your opponents are marking your players tightly and beating them to the pass and intercepting them I would use pass into space as your player's can peel off and get the ball in behind if they are fast enough.

Hope that helps a little, your english is fine if you have any other questions just fire away, i'll do my best.

Thank you very much for your feedback. ya it does help me to understand more :)

Have started my N save game after keep losing in 2nd season.....this time i try my very best to apply what i hv read from the forum, my team Arsenal is the best in ST force and among the top in pace, acceleration & technique. So i chooese counter as my strategy and always apply 3-4 attacking force in my formation (4-3-3 or 4-4-2).

1st match VS Southampton i try to watch 15min full match, be frankly nothing much i can understand from the players' move & passess.....1st minute i was a goal down due to my DR passed ball back to my keeper but was stolen by their ST. I was panic but still try to make some changes that i feel it best suit from what i saw, eventually i won the game 3-1.

But confidence destroyed on my 2nd game away VS QPR, i was a goal down on 26th min - my DL back pass ball to keeper (stange, my DCL just in between him & my keeper and the opponent's ST just next to my keeper, clearly a mistake from him?) so their ST challenge my keeper and won the ball....1-0. I managed to claw 1 back from a corner but lose a nother ball during a counter.....so helpless that i dun know what should i do to alter the thing.....:(

I was using 4-3-3 (1 DM, 2 CM, AML + AMR + SC) the role set as follow :-

GK - SK

DR & DL - FB (S)

DCR & DCL - DC (D)

DM - DM(D)

CML - CM (A)

CMR - CM (S)

AML - IF (A)

AMR - IF (A)

STC - TM (S)

So did i make any mistake or any uncommon setting in my play to cause me lose the game?

Initial 30 min i hv control the possession (using shout - retain possession, drop deeper, pass to feet, work ball to box) after 45min i found i hv lost the possession to QPR so i chg my shout to (push higher up, get stuck in, hassle opponent, pass to feet, work ball into box) hoping to gain back possession but fail.

My team shoot 7 on target 4 goal 1 (be frankly i pretty satisfy w the rate) QPR shoot 15 on target 5 goal 2. My scoring ST rating is 8.30 (MoM) the rest rated 6.4 to 6.9 only. :(

Please help me all my senior here, thank you very much ......

Thank you very much for your feedback. ya it does help me to understand more :)

Have started my N save game after keep losing in 2nd season.....this time i try my very best to apply what i hv read from the forum, my team Arsenal is the best in ST force and among the top in pace, acceleration & technique. So i chooese counter as my strategy and always apply 3-4 attacking force in my formation (4-3-3 or 4-4-2).

1st match VS Southampton i try to watch 15min full match, be frankly nothing much i can understand from the players' move & passess.....1st minute i was a goal down due to my DR passed ball back to my keeper but was stolen by their ST. I was panic but still try to make some changes that i feel it best suit from what i saw, eventually i won the game 3-1.

But confidence destroyed on my 2nd game away VS QPR, i was a goal down on 26th min - my DL back pass ball to keeper (stange, my DCL just in between him & my keeper and the opponent's ST just next to my keeper, clearly a mistake from him?) so their ST challenge my keeper and won the ball....1-0. I managed to claw 1 back from a corner but lose a nother ball during a counter.....so helpless that i dun know what should i do to alter the thing.....:(

I was using 4-3-3 (1 DM, 2 CM, AML + AMR + SC) the role set as follow :-

GK - SK

DR & DL - FB (S)

DCR & DCL - DC (D)

DM - DM(D)

CML - CM (A)

CMR - CM (S)

AML - IF (A)

AMR - IF (A)

STC - TM (S)

So did i make any mistake or any uncommon setting in my play to cause me lose the game?

Initial 30 min i hv control the possession (using shout - retain possession, drop deeper, pass to feet, work ball to box) after 45min i found i hv lost the possession to QPR so i chg my shout to (push higher up, get stuck in, hassle opponent, pass to feet, work ball into box) hoping to gain back possession but fail.

My team shoot 7 on target 4 goal 1 (be frankly i pretty satisfy w the rate) QPR shoot 15 on target 5 goal 2. My scoring ST rating is 8.30 (MoM) the rest rated 6.4 to 6.9 only. :(

Please help me all my senior here, thank you very much ......

Is your tactic familiarity all fluid yet?

Is your tactic familiarity all fluid yet?
Was just about to ask the exact same thing before I saw your reply :)

Hi gentlemen...sorry for late reply.

I guess not. Coz is only the start of the season. What will the effect on my game if not fluid yet?

Hi gentlemen...sorry for late reply.

I guess not. Coz is only the start of the season. What will the effect on my game if not fluid yet?

They're just getting used to a new set of tactics and a new formation and also some new players so it might take time before it properly kicks into gear, I can't speak for Cleon (Although I think he asked for the same reason as me) is because your tactic sounds well balanced and the only thing that might be stopping you beating the smaller teams is if your players aren't familiar with your tactic just yet.

Remember players like Giroud, Cazorla and Podolski are new signings even though you didn't sign them so they will need a settling in period. Many people forget there are new player's even though they​ haven't bought anyone.

Thx lewis999.

ok how should i improve the tactic familiarity? it will develop naturally or i have to train tactic more under general training?

Also does it only look into the tactic familiarity or others aspect under familiarity (passess, closing down etc) also take count?

Another question is Metasacker & Jenkinson keep having problem to be motivated under captain Vermeloon, how should i fix it?

Thx lewis999.
ok how should i improve the tactic familiarity? it will develop naturally or i have to train tactic more under general training?

I'm not 100% sure if the tactics option on the left hand side under general training will train player's to get used to your tactic or if it will make players concentrate on improving their tactical side of their game (decisions, off the ball, positioning) their mental attributes, Cleon will have to clear that one up as I don't want to give you false information. Although what I do know is on the same page but on the right under match training there is an option which says "tactics only" which specifically gets them to work on the formation.

Also does it only look into the tactic familiarity or others aspect under familiarity (passess, closing down etc) also take count?

It does a whole range of things, your assistant manager (in my experience) at the start of the game will say nearly everyone is either used to a more direct passing approach, used to playing at a higher tempo, used to closing down more etc. etc. I don't think that play's a major part though I could be wrong I just think if you give it until January (6 months to let your player's get used to each other, you as the manager and your new tactics for them you will kick on in the second half of the season.

Another question is Metasacker & Jenkinson keep having problem to be motivated under captain Vermeloon, how should i fix it?

I don't think there is a quick fix for that, maybe they don't think he is a good enough leader although I think his determination and influence are at least 16, on the other hand if you for example played Sagna and Koscielny the issue could go away and then you could put that down to Jenkinson and Mertesacker and not Vermaelen. But like I said if it's still not going away as Vermaelen is a new captain (Was RvP) they might need time to get used to him as well so expect a few difficult games as everyone is getting used to everything sort of speak. :D

Thx lewis999.

In pre-season set around 10 friendlies minimum and set general training to tactics very high intensity, put the slider called scheduling all the way to the left and for match training focus put tactics aswell. This is the fastest way and you should be fully morealess before the first game of the season if you schedule that many friendlies. It doesn't matter what kind of opposition you face, I always choose weak teams who I destroy for morale boost.

If you've bought a lot of new players you could always set it to team cohesion too or teamwork to get them familiar with playing with each other etc.

Thx lewis999 & Cleon for the reply.

Ya i think following the half season done my formation familiarity in all aspect are fluid and my team perform better now.

For the captain issue i found that it is less happen now, only when Vermaelon make mistake lead the goal by opponent then my AM will highlight to me the issue again.

I just lose an away game to swansea 2-0, under the bad weather - strong wind, heavy snow, -10 C. my team possession only 30% and sht 5 OnT 0, i am wondering what kind of setting & shout i should use to deal with this type of weather? (yes i believe that i wont be lose so tamely if not bcoz of the bad weather)

I used balance / counter / more direct / others all default, when found my team cant control the game i chg to balance / attk / passing shorter but situation wont change. What shd i do to deal w it? Shout i used push higher up / pass to feet / hit early cross / pump ball into box hoping to reduce passes in bad weather and make more cross for my TM (Giroud)

Thx......

Thank You Cleon. so so much

i may still be losing the odd game but using your suggested shouts and understanding what each one of them means practically to how my team play.

all in all it now means that my faceless tactics from before, are now being seen by myself and i can actually see the instructions being carried out gloriously.

thou i may still lose i understand why now and i make the changes needed.

its definately given me a new perspective and have enjoyed watching more of the games too.

thanks again.

Thank You Cleon. so so much

i may still be losing the odd game but using your suggested shouts and understanding what each one of them means practically to how my team play.

all in all it now means that my faceless tactics from before, are now being seen by myself and i can actually see the instructions being carried out gloriously.

thou i may still lose i understand why now and i make the changes needed.

its definately given me a new perspective and have enjoyed watching more of the games too.

thanks again.

Wow not seen you post for ages mate, hows it going? :D

It does make a big difference when you understand how they work though. Over time you'll know which to use before you even see something happen in game. You'll just get a feeling of what to do before something happens. :)

Glad I could have helped though :)

Wow not seen you post for ages mate, hows it going? :D

It does make a big difference when you understand how they work though. Over time you'll know which to use before you even see something happen in game. You'll just get a feeling of what to do before something happens. :)

Glad I could have helped though :)

good thanks mate, just started new job in office so get bit of cheeky time to get on here and help my skills and tactics knowledge increase.

one example of the shouts working. i kept seeing my wings and wb going inside instead of whiping dangerous cross across. so changed to hit early crosses and on the very next play after being applied my right back dumas swings in nice early cross from deep striker beats man and scores. Was so chuffed i shouted out aloud "i'm a Manager!!". Still lost to arsenal 3-2 winger got caught deep doing nothing with the ball. (shouted play out of defence right after but too late)

Great thread, I must say. Of course, IRL you don't get to pause the match in order to analyze it :) What I really wonder is, are there things that shouts can do that sliders can't? Because I prefer using sliders as it lets me know exactly what I'm changing as I prefer to have precise control over the tactics, whether I make a good one or not. Also, can't most of these shouts be addressed simply by changing the mentality of your team tactics? For example, setting the mentality to Overload is already telling your players to "Pump ball into box".

Great thread, I must say. Of course, IRL you don't get to pause the match in order to analyze it :) What I really wonder is, are there things that shouts can do that sliders can't? Because I prefer using sliders as it lets me know exactly what I'm changing as I prefer to have precise control over the tactics, whether I make a good one or not. Also, can't most of these shouts be addressed simply by changing the mentality of your team tactics? For example, setting the mentality to Overload is already telling your players to "Pump ball into box".

I take it you didn't read what the shouts do then if you are asking if most of them can be addressed by just changing mentality? I listed exactly what they changed and you'll find it wasn't mentality ;)

Shouts are more convenient and user friendly meaning you can change things in a second with 1 click. If you use the sliders then you have to change several things and that is a lot of faffing about for nothing imo.

• 3 months later...

Great thread Cleon, just a few questions I wanted to ask. Are there any shouts that you always use from the start of every match or do you only use them depending on how the game is going. The reason I ask is because I I have read on various threads that some posters use a number of shouts right from the beginning of matches such as pass into space

My second question is do you adopt a high pressing game? If you do is this for all of your matches from the get go or depending on the opposition and how the game is going?

Great thread Cleon, just a few questions I wanted to ask. Are there any shouts that you always use from the start of every match or do you only use them depending on how the game is going. The reason I ask is because I I have read on various threads that some posters use a number of shouts right from the beginning of matches such as pass into space

My second question is do you adopt a high pressing game? If you do is this for all of your matches from the get go or depending on the opposition and how the game is going?

If you read the Chalkboard Diaries thread at the top of the forum you'll see exactly how I play, I explain everything I do for every game I played.

And I only use shouts at the start if I am trying to create a specific style. But that is very rare.

If you read the Chalkboard Diaries thread at the top of the forum you'll see exactly how I play, I explain everything I do for every game I played.

And I only use shouts at the start if I am trying to create a specific style. But that is very rare.

Just finished reading it. Fantastic and very beneficial. Thanks for that, mate. :thup:

I have a question regarding shouts. Say your team is missing tackles, so you tell them to Stand off Opponents, keeping your shape and not getting skinned, etc. How long do you keep that shout going, until the end of the game? This would be considering that not much changes with the opposition. In general, with shouts, how long are you implementing them for on average?

I have a question regarding shouts. Say your team is missing tackles, so you tell them to Stand off Opponents, keeping your shape and not getting skinned, etc. How long do you keep that shout going, until the end of the game? This would be considering that not much changes with the opposition. In general, with shouts, how long are you implementing them for on average?

There isn't really an average. I just use them until I feel I don't need them anymore. In your case above I think I'd keep it on all game though.

• 1 month later...

One thing i do during the first 30 or so minutes is to look at the passing stats. Whichever player is making 100% of his passes, with a high number is the player in the area that i need to exploit.

For eg. Michael Carrick is my primary playmaker and the man who makes my team tick. If after 30 minutes he has competed, say 25 out of 29 passes then i keep him as playmaker and play through the middle. But against Man City Sandro and Toure were tasked to close him down and he only got about 4 out of 5 passes though in 30 minutes. Meanwhile Patrice Evra and Ashley Young are nearing 100% completion with 15 of 15 and 10 of 13 passes. So I switch focus passing to left flank and make Ashley Young playmaker and switch Carrick to CM (s) and BOOM. 3-1 away win.

And then it's back to regularly scheduled Michael Carrick midfield porn until he gets swamped by another team's midfield henchmen.

FM13 has a steeper learning curve and it makes it much more fun.

oh , and yes, SPACING in this ME is so important it's NUTS. Another thing is to watch and see which of your players are getting in each other's way, tweak their movement, and boom, easy win on it's way, coupled with lovely football.

One thing i do during the first 30 or so minutes is to look at the passing stats. Whichever player is making 100% of his passes, with a high number is the player in the area that i need to exploit.

For eg. Michael Carrick is my primary playmaker and the man who makes my team tick. If after 30 minutes he has competed, say 25 out of 29 passes then i keep him as playmaker and play through the middle. But against Man City Sandro and Toure were tasked to close him down and he only got about 4 out of 5 passes though in 30 minutes. Meanwhile Patrice Evra and Ashley Young are nearing 100% completion with 15 of 15 and 10 of 13 passes. So I switch focus passing to left flank and make Ashley Young playmaker and switch Carrick to CM (s) and BOOM. 3-1 away win.

And then it's back to regularly scheduled Michael Carrick midfield porn until he get swamped by another team's midfield henchmen.

FM13 has a steeper learning curve and it makes it much more fun.

oh , and yes, SPACING is this ME is so important it's NUTS. Another thing is to watch and see which of your players are getting in each other's way, tweak their movement, and boom, easy win on it's way, coupled with lovely football.

Good tip that :thup:

I have both motivation widgets at hand. This years game makes it more important to change strategies based on the nerves or confidence of players. When my whjole team gets anxious, I tend to play more controlling, hen they are more confident, I let them attack again. Same goes for the opposition. When they start to ge frustrated, I make sure to exploit this fact.

• 10 months later...

I have recently notice that teams get a lot of their assists from wide areas. Then on match day it's clear that a lot of the play is coming from out wide. What do you tend to do if you see this happening often? I was thinking perhaps Play Wider?

I have recently notice that teams get a lot of their assists from wide areas. Then on match day it's clear that a lot of the play is coming from out wide. What do you tend to do if you see this happening often? I was thinking perhaps Play Wider?

Well it depends what you mean by 'play'. Playing wider is more about attacking than defending anyway its more an on the ball instructions rather than a defensive one. It's more focused on what you do when you have the ball.

It's all about context really, there are hundreds types of different play so it really depends on what you see happening visually. If you see players starting chances from out wide then you can either try and stop them from being able to play or focus on the players they are aiming for (if they tend to start moves or get assists rather than finishing chances themselves). How you do this all depends on the shape you use and that they use. What works for me wouldn't work for you as its highly unlikely you'd be playing the same shape and settings that I am, so its hard to give an answer when the question is vague as play coming from wide could mean lots of different things.

I just stumbled onto this thread. Great job Cleon! I tried your method on my last few games and instantly noticed a difference. Not only does spending the time to watch a game help make adjustments based on an opponents tactic, I believe it's also completely necessary when testing a new tactic. You may think a tactic may look good on paper, but watching it unfold is the only way to know. Again, thanks Cleon.

Archived