A bit disillusioned

I am getting slightly frustrated with the game and one area in particular, the manager's reputation. As Newcastle boss I have managed to win 5 league titles in as many years, coupled with 3 CL wins and two league cup wins. I am ranked as one of only three 'world class' managers and I am behind Fergie only, i think, in the hall of fame.

The Italian boss leaves, so I apply only to be told I am not thought to have any chance of getting the job. Fine, i thought. I haven't managed in Italy and to the best of my knowledge Italy haven't ever had a foreign manager (I am scottish in game). Next up the England boss leaves, and again I am not considered to have any chance of an appointment. They go for Mancini, who as a result of my success has been restricted during the game to a single FA cup win.

My question simply is: what do I have to do to be 'in with a chance' of getting one of these jobs? Ideally a response from SI would be good, as I am quite at a loss.

Thanks

iirc Italy will only ever employ an Italian as their national team manager & England will not go for a German, Argentinian or Scottish manager.

iirc Italy will only ever employ an Italian as their national team manager & England will not go for a German, Argentinian or Scottish manager.

Has this changed for FM12 then? I got the Italy job as an Englishman on FM10.

With Scottish as your nationality, you should definitely be banned from getting the England job though! :p

That must be quite a new thing, as I was manager of Italy despite being an English national in FM10.

My current FM12 save is over 20 seasons in & I am yet to see a foreigner take charge of the Italian national side, I'd imagine there is a very hefty weighting against hiring a foreign manager for some of the major nations & as I run a very large game there is no shortage of good managers to take charge.

IMHO countries such as Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, France, Spain & few others should not be hiring foreign managers unless the game setup has drastically restricted the number of suitable candidates, thankfully SI have removed the code that resulted in the game creating unknown & utterly useless managers for the sole purpose of ensuring no foreign managers at some of these nations, the idea was a good one if a little poorly implemented.

mmmm,maybe you don't understand how national team work. :)

I don't get it. What is there to understand? Speaking as a Scot who lived in England for over 15 years, the English-Scottish rivalry is largely one way with the Scots hating the English. The English really don't care much about us. And the English FA would welcome Fergie after Capello, McClaren and Erkisson. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

all depends when you apply for them if your late applying theres less chance you'll get it when i was spurs and the english job came avalible i applied within the first 24hours and got the job.

Hmm, not sure that's true.

..........the English-Scottish rivalry is largely one way with the Scots hating the English. The English really don't care much about us. And the English FA would welcome Fergie after Capello, McClaren and Erkisson. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

That is though. :D

I don't get it. What is there to understand? Speaking as a Scot who lived in England for over 15 years, the English-Scottish rivalry is largely one way with the Scots hating the English. The English really don't care much about us. And the English FA would welcome Fergie after Capello, McClaren and Erkisson. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Speaking as an Englishman, I absolutely cannot agree with this at all.

The English-Scottish rivalry in football is certainly not one way and I would never want a Scot in charge of our national team just as the Scots would never put an Englishman in charge of theirs!

I think that you are kidding yourself if you believe Alex Ferguson would be welcomed as manager of England! I'd rather have McClaren back! :D

Back on topic though, I do think it is a shame if nationality becomes a massive factor in managing national teams on FM. I know that it isn't realistic but I do believe that you should really be able to manage pretty much any national side (apart, perhaps, from major footballing rivals to your nationality) if you have the reputation to get the job. This is a case where the realism factor faces up to the fun factor and fun should surely win!

all depends when you apply for them if your late applying theres less chance you'll get it when i was spurs and the english job came avalible i applied within the first 24hours and got the job.

That's not true.

Speaking as an Englishman, I absolutely cannot agree with this at all.

The English-Scottish rivalry in football is certainly not one way and I would never want a Scot in charge of our national team just as the Scots would never put an Englishman in charge of theirs!

I think that you are kidding yourself if you believe Alex Ferguson would be welcomed as manager of England! I'd rather have McClaren back! :D

Back on topic though, I do think it is a shame if nationality becomes a massive factor in managing national teams on FM. I know that it isn't realistic but I do believe that you should really be able to manage pretty much any national side (apart, perhaps, from major footballing rivals to your nationality) if you have the reputation to get the job. This is a case where the realism factor faces up to the fun factor and fun should surely win!

Quoted for truth.

Even if the English would take Ferguson as a manager, which I think is a big if,

it still makes sense for the game to have it programmed that England wont appoint Scots, as Fergie is an incredible exception rather than the rule

Fergie is an exception as he is that damn good and won that damn much. In my game I am starting to rival Mourinho in terms of titles and reputation and too should be considered.

Do you really think Alex Ferguson or any other Scottish manager would apply for the English job ? I very much think not !!

So if you want realism in the game then you wouldn't even think of applying for the job !!!

Fergie is perhaps more patriotic than myself. Nothing to do with realism, more personal preference.

I'm pretty sure that over on the FM Careers Update forum there are several posters who are English and have been offerred the Italy job, I'll see if I can find a link and post across.

What I do know for a fact is that Scotland are set up as a rival nation to England in the database with a score of 100, therefore I think it is extremely unlikely that the English FA would appoint a Scottish manager.

The Italian's aren't set up as having England as rivals at all however the Italian FA are set up as having a Foreign Manager likelihood of 2 (out of 20) compared to England who have a score of 8, which means that they are much less likely to appoint a foreign manager, but it is not impossible.

Who ended up getting the Italian job, was it an Italian national? Did they have any international caps as a player? If so, they would win hands down I think despite your record.

EDIT: Check the link below, post 1645, just to prove it is possible (the thread is a great read by the way, if you have a spare few hours!!)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/291872-SRL88-s-FM12-Journeyman-Career/page17

Just to add further proof to this one.

Here is me.

IlArG.png

And here is me being offered the Italy and England jobs.

83J2i.png

I'm gonna guess the fact that I'm managing in Italy at the moment means my rep in the country is high enough to be offered the job (I've won the Champion's League with Fiorentina, reached the final and finished 2nd twice from 10th in the League before I took over). I'm assuming yours, at Newcastle, wasn't.

i don't know why you'd want an international job anyway? my squads almost always get totally sabotaged by injuries during international tournaments with only a few rare exceptions over the years and various versions of FM.

This! Coaching any international team is 95% boredom. Only good when you're in a WC or similar.

Team management is way better playing experience.

Archived