FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

Unfortunately another issue has occurred. I don't know if I'm the only but since the last update Steam is occupying the cpu at 200%. It never occurred before, never.

I never heard my Macbook Pro fans running as much as tonight. I don't know what's going on but it seems that there's a small bug that keeps the CPU running for no apparent reason.

Can somebody else double check whether this happens to you as well?

If so, can you ask Valve guys to investigate this? Thanks

Explanatory pic: http://cl.ly/0Y301q462l3r1O3N0J3e

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately another issue has occurred. I don't know if I'm the only but since the last update Steam is occupying the cpu at 200%. It never occurred before, never.

I never heard my Macbook Pro fans running as much as tonight. I don't know what's going on but it seems that there's a small bug that keeps the CPU running for no apparent reason.

I saw that mentioned on the Steam site in a thread not related to FM, so it has been reported.

Mines working now, wish i'd of seen this thread this morning and saved myself a day of uninstalling and re-installing FM. Gutted i've got to re-download all my logos and face-packs again and i've lost all my saved games.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Mines working now, wish i'd of seen this thread this morning and saved myself a day of uninstalling and re-installing FM. Gutted i've got to re-download all my logos and face-packs again and i've lost all my saved games.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

A small suggestion for the future: don't ever never ever touch your saved data. I guess you deleted it manually because Steam isn't touching your saved games as long as I know.

goddit!! had to restart steam twice but it seems fine now. shouldnt steam be dry running these updates on various operating systems so they can see and de-bug any issues before rolling them out? but thanks to the SI guys for keeping us updated

Mine also is not working, even though the updates have been installed and everything has been restarted.

The update that has been installed is the same one that started the problem, the one from April 19th. I don't see any sign of a new update from steam.

Mine also is not working, even though the updates have been installed and everything has been restarted.

The update that has been installed is the same one that started the problem, the one from April 19th. I don't see any sign of a new update from steam.

You don't see anything until you restart Steam. When you restart it, the update will start and everything will run smooth (but the CPU consumption).

mine not working either, currently running osx 10.7.3

Didn't work all day yesterday so thought I would leave it until this morning.

When I check for updates on steam it says I am up to date but when I click on play on FM i just get the 'preparing to launch' box which then disappears?

Any other ideas? really appreciate any help!

Same is happening to me. My fan is constantly whirring really loud, never happened before.

Checked activity monitor as well and Steam is using up over 200%

Just open steam and select "check for updates". For me this worked.

activity monitor says that steam is using 66% of my CPU and FM 130%. Wow could it be overclocking ?

This could be a big problem...overheating is really bad for our batteries

They are working on this CPU problem. The slowdown is due to Steam, not FM. So, there's nothing that SI guys have to fix.

If you are willing to be sure you are running the latest version of Steam, you have to open it and wait 10 minutes and then *close* it.

After you re-open it, the updates are going to be applied.

The latest version is this: http://cl.ly/460E3p0P3Y3728440s0w

The overheating problems seems similar to those experienced while using wine or other wrappers to rum Windows games on mac.

Well i hope that Steam will solve this and that my laptop will not melt meanwhile

Unfortunately, even if you have the latest version. Which I now do, the one in your screenshot. FM prepres to load and then closes for unexpected reasons...

Vorvee, I'm going to install FM again entirely

-----------------------------------------------

Update: installed FM, no change.

So....either it doesn't work at all even if you reinstall, update, & restart or it does work with this crazy CPU usage problem.

If you want, I found a small fix.

Run Steam, run the game. The CPU will go over 200%.

Open Activity Monitor and get the PID of the Steam app: http://cl.ly/1m2T0C2O2u1u0n1P3u21

Now open Terminal.app (or whatever terminal you like) and issue "kill -STOP PID" (see the screenshot).

This will pause the process.

Before shutting down the game, you may want to restart it: just issue "kill -CONT PID".

Enjoy :D

Ok, it's not really that good as solution. Sometimes it may happens that you have to go back to the terminal, issue the -CONT signal, and then go back, go ahead and re-pause the process again.

Well.. it's better than nothing, anyway :p

Am I the only one who has updated, reinstalled, and it still doesn't work? I hear a lot of mention of the CPU usage problem, and that must be fixed. But I think that the problem of accessing FM is still not solved for many people. Neil, are Valve aware of this? THank you for all your help.

• Administrators
Am I the only one who has updated, reinstalled, and it still doesn't work? I hear a lot of mention of the CPU usage problem, and that must be fixed. But I think that the problem of accessing FM is still not solved for many people. Neil, are Valve aware of this? THank you for all your help.

What exactly is happening when you try to play? Have you updated Steam? Do you get some kind of error message?

When I click on play FM, I get the window "Preparing to load Football Manager 12." Then the FM icon in my dashboard comes up as if it's about to start, and then I get error message from the Mac OS (unlike the previous message, it is not from Steam) "Football Manager 2012 v 12 . 2 . 2 f 259407 quit unexpectedly," and then FM goes away.

I've updated steam and done literally everything everyone said here and everywhere else. Several times. I don't know how many hours of troubleshooting it's been but way too many.

I purchased FM online and downloaded on April 20th, ironically on the day that the bug happened. Maybe that has something to do with it, but I have reinstalled FM today.

• Administrators

I'm not a Mac expert so it's difficult for me to provide a comment which it totally informed but if you're not sure I'd err on the side of caution with this one. I'm still unfortunately waiting for an update.

devlinmolloy - just to clarify - you've never been able to run the game? Do you know what type of graphics card you have on your Mac?

Archived