FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Completely new to Mac, so here is a rookie question: How do you uninstall on a Mac?

I didn't have to reinstall, download steam .dmg again open it and when you drag the app to the applications folder just say replace, it will start to update and ask you to restart just say no to the restart and it seems to fix the issue.

The above-mentioned solution does not work for me. I have the same problem of "Preparing to load Football Manager" and then Football Manager 2012 v 12 . 2 .2 . 2 f 259407 quit unexpectedly.

I presume the above-mentioned solution is only a quick fix that works for only some.

I just figured I would put that out there so we don't get too excited.

I didn't have to reinstall, download steam .dmg again open it and when you drag the app to the applications folder just say replace, it will start to update and ask you to restart just say no to the restart and it seems to fix the issue.

this just temp fix

can somebody tell me how to uninstall steam im a complete mac noob n the instructions have me lost

I didn't have to uninstall. Just download Mac Steam client from Steam website and install over your current Steam client. i.e. go to website, download Steam for Mac, open .dmg file, drag Steam icon into Applications folder.

Full Steam uninstall/reinstall:

1. Go to 'Applications' in a Finder window, and drag Steam to Trash

2. Accept the prompt which asks if you want to delete the Application Support files as well (If you do not receive this prompt then navigate to 'Application Support' and put the Steam folder into Trash)

3. Empty Trash

4. Redownload and install Steam

5. Allow it to autoupdate

6. Launch FM

N.B. Do not close and reopen Steam after having gone through these steps as the client will autoupdate again. Also, do not update the client when a pop-up asks you to.

How to provide a temporary fix explained in detail:

First off, you need to access your ~library folder. if you are unsure how to do this, here is a fantastic guide:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-user-library-folder-in-os-x-lion/

- You then need to find this folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps

- Copy the "steamapps" folder to your desktop (just drag and drop). Keep the finder window at this location open for convenience.

- Go to the steam homepage and download the client install .dmg.

- Go to your main applications folder and move the steam application to trash.

- Open the installer and drag and drop the application into your applications folder.

- Before launching steam again copy the "steamapps" folder into your open finder window in the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/ folder.

- Launch the steam application as normal, do not worry that it says it's updating the client. Fm 12 will now work as long as steam is not quitted as restarting steam after this will automatically update to the broken client version.

I hope this helps. I am playing the game as I write this (it's windowed).

nb: by copying and pasting your "steamapps" folder you are saving the downloaded game and will not need to re-download the files. Saved games are safe as they are located in your documents folder and not in the steam application folder you are deleting. I'm not sure if the other ways mentioned ensure the the game does not need to be re-downloaded, but i wasn't going to risk it.

2. Accept the prompt which asks if you want to delete the Application Support files as well (If you do not receive this prompt then navigate to 'Application Support' and put the Steam folder into Trash)

3. Empty Trash

6. Launch FM

N.B. Do not close and reopen Steam after having gone through these steps as the client will autoupdate again. Also, do not update the client when a pop-up asks you to.

This only can temp fix and I mentioned on the first page. That means I can not close the steam and have to keep the computer on.

Yeah its worked for me to, but seems to be a temp fix as when I restarted steam to test it, it wouldn't work. So did the same process again and it works, just not going to Quit Steam until theres an update lol. I never shut the Mac down anyway, just let it fall to sleep, much better.

3. Empty Trash

6. Launch FM

The autoupdate you mentioned is the update that caused the problem. The update that caused the problem is during the steam is on, not the moment of starting the steam.\

my solution is after reinstalling steam, go to offline mode , do not let steam to update.

Yeah its worked for me to, but seems to be a temp fix as when I restarted steam to test it, it wouldn't work. So did the same process again and it works, just not going to Quit Steam until theres an update lol. I never shut the Mac down anyway, just let it fall to sleep, much better.

yes, that makes you can not shut the computer off. try my way, after re-installing the steam, go to offline mode immediately . that means do not let steam updated.

The autoupdate you mentioned is the update that caused the problem. The update that caused the problem is during the steam is on, not the moment of starting the steam.\

my solution is after reinstalling steam, go to offline mode , do not let steam to update.

So there's no fix at the moment.

Hi guys, I have the same problem with you guys. I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.3. Yesterday I still played the game, just after this morning it's stop to launch.

So I see many people have succeed to reinstall the steam and the game is launched well.

A question here:

After you guys successfully reinstall the steam, and start the FM afterwards. So, the version of the FM is 12.2.2 or back 12.0 (the original one)

Just curious...

• SI Staff

Hi Guys, quick update for you - as you can see from the Valve forum page - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660869

JoeR is on the case with this problem at their side. He's identified and fixed the problem with FM2011, and he's looking into FM2012 now. Once both are resolved he'll roll out an update straight away.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Grant

This game is awesome but Steam, really, it sucks hard.

It's not possible that every time I have to suffer to play this game.

First Steam won't install on case-sensitive file systems, then it stops working if you install it on a file image (on the mac) and you have to clean the cache every time.

Then Steam updates itself and yet again this fracking game won't start.

I know that piracy is bad but Steam is proving to be even worse. I'm telling you.

I must say i am very disappointed with yet another problem caused by stream. All us mac users want to do is play FM12 when we want to. Its about time the games people sorted there self out and gave us value for money. So yes how long have we got to wait for another fix??

3. Empty Trash

6. Launch FM

Having done this I went to start FM again and it has started to re-install the game.

Is this what is meant to happen?

I must say i am very disappointed with yet another problem caused by stream. All us mac users want to do is play FM12 when we want to. Its about time the games people sorted there self out and gave us value for money. So yes how long have we got to wait for another fix??

You might want to take this up on the Steam forum as well, that would also be the place to ask about timescales as it's actually their problem in this instance.

Annoying problem, but the temp fix is even easier than it seems above. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ then click download steam. You don't even have to uninstall first. It will download, open the dmg, install like normal and it will tell you a copy already exists -- just click "replace".

Done, took me 90 seconds and I'm playing FM now. I suppose I'll have to keep steam offline from now on until the real fix so it doesnt update itself.

You might want to take this up on the Steam forum as well, that would also be the place to ask about timescales as it's actually their problem in this instance.

Good luck with that, I still haven't had my account activated...

Annoying problem, but the temp fix is even easier than it seems above. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ then click download steam. You don't even have to uninstall first. It will download, open the dmg, install like normal and it will tell you a copy already exists -- just click "replace".

Done, took me 90 seconds and I'm playing FM now. I suppose I'll have to keep steam offline from now on until the real fix so it doesnt update itself.

I have found that doing this, I have been able to now play :)

(Iam running Mac Lion)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from disc this didn't work, tried unistalling and re-installing from steam website, this did work. Kreman your save files should not be affected, apart from losing progress since the last save if it crash while in use.

Yeah the fix should now be rolling out and you should be able to update your game. Let us know if you have any issues and again apologies for the inconvenience.

Is this fix an auto-update from steam? Just wondering so I can advise users on our own forum.

Cheers in advance.

Archived