FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been loyal to this game since Amiga, down with lung disease, wife and kids shipped of to mother in law, have time to enjoy FM2012 for the first time. Step up, at least provide us with a quick fix.

I know it is quite a task to ask Steam to provide an update to solve this issue, but there MUST be a workaround!?!?!

My info:

MAC OS X, 10.6.8

Football manager 2012

Latest Steam update

Any news before you leave for weekend !??!?!

Any estimates on when this is solved? Are we wasting our time hoping this will be solved today??

if you run steam in off-line mode (to prevent it updating), can you still play FM?

I think not. If you have the issue, you've already downloaded the "Update" so you have to wait for Steam to solve the proble (Maybe they call the society "steam" because they only have steam age technology and this will explain something...)

The only way to avoid this problem is to avoid shutting down steam BEFORE the update is done, but if you're reading this post it's because you already have the issue. sadly

219 angry player browsing this Thread...

Sooooo, I am browsing this thread from work waiting for the WE and I am a bit worried! I am on Mac, do you think turning off my internet connection, start Steam in offline mode, desactivate auto update in Steam, start FM, then switch on internet connection will work in order to play FM?

Same here for everything.. Played FM for many'a year on Windows, 3rd day of using my new Mac and this happens! Pretty gutted to be fair.. Hopefully this needs to be sorted as soon as possible but I'm sure SI are doing everything in their power to get it going! Everyone just needs to be a little bit more patient but there's only so much browser games you can play :(

A potential fix for people desperately wanting to play the game is this.

Completely wipe your mac, I mean reformat it back to factory settings.

I did this earlier and could play the game. Unfortunately I restarted my computer thinking it was fixed and as soon as I tried after the restart same thing happened.

So just to clarify you must completely wipe your computer, so before doing so make sure you back up everything you need on an external hard-drive.

EDIT: For anybody not familiar with how to do that here is a link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913938_clear-imac-hard-drive.html

Hey Enforcer122, patience is a good thing, but I work with business critical software, and if my customers where to wait 12+ hours for an update (for their app to launch), heads would roll :) But true, patience is a good thing.

I would love a quickfix though, a little hack/workaround that would help our addictive lost souls :-D

A potential fix for people desperately wanting to play the game is this.

Completely wipe your mac, I mean reformat it back to factory settings.

I did this earlier and could play the game. Unfortunately I restarted my computer thinking it was fixed and as soon as I tried after the restart same thing happened.

So just to clarify you must completely wipe your computer, so before doing so make sure you back up everything you need on an external hard-drive.

EDIT: For anybody not familiar with how to do that here is a link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913938_clea...ard-drive.html

• Administrators

Hi everyone, sorry for the problem you’re encountering with running FM via Steam on the Mac, we are currently still waiting for a response for Valve in regards to this issue.

However, we are aware of a short-term fix which will allow you to play the game until the problem is properly resolved.

First uninstall Steam (keep the game files when prompted), then reinstall Steam but do not apply the latest update – it will ask you to restart following reinstall – do not allow it to restart at this point.

Install Football Manager 2012 – it will automatically be at the latest version and will allow you to load up the game and play it normally.

Do not worry about losing your Football Manager saves when uninstalling Steam, they are saved in a different location and will not be touched.

Apologies to any of you that have encountered this issue, as stated before we are attempting to contact Valve to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Steam should have a roll back option with their software so users can revert back to the previous version when these update issues occur.

I don't think I'll ever buy a game that is exclusive to steam again. I returned to this FM series after a 5 year sabbatical this year and was concerned right from the start that the game was via steam only. This issue has now convinced me that I'll NEVER buy this or any game on steam again. Hard copy or I just won't bother in future.

Just adding what mods deleted...

Hope you are listening SEGA / SI

It works for a while, but when or if you restart Steam it updates automatically and the game doesn't work again.

And, sincerely Neil, it doesn't sound as a real solution but more as an ECB decision: good for a moment but nothing more.

How is possible that you are still waiting for a response from Valve? After 14 hours?

I'm from Denmark, but currently living in London. This means that my copy of Football Manager 2012 is still in Denmark.

If I do this short-term solution, will I be able to install Football Manager again without CD?

Yes, once registered on Steam you can download your game from anywhere on any PC.

It works for a while, but when or if you restart Steam it updates automatically and the game doesn't work again.

And, sincerely Neil, it doesn't sound as a real solution but more as an ECB decision: good for a moment but nothing more.

How is possible that you are still waiting for a response from Valve? After 14 hours?

Neil did say it was a temp fix and you shouldn't restart Steam.

followed Trion above, and just visited steam website, downloaded steam and reinstalled it over the steam i had.

when it loaded it gave me a message asking steam to restart which i cancelled and thanking me for participating in a beta.

happened 3 times, then it loaded football 2012 as normal.

so back for now, not sure if i reload steam if will work again.

good luck

• Administrators
Hello everyone,

Uninstall steam (keep the game files when prompted)

Re-Install steam

All works fine.

Did not even have to re-install my games.

Thanks for this, I've updated my post so it references this.

Same issue here, running mac osx lion, latest patch and using the ridiculous new steam update. Why would they release such a flawed update? Surely it is their duty as the only legal way to play the game to ensure updates have been tested fully. I'm unhappy enough about having to be tied down to having to install steam to play the game, furious I now cannot even play the game because of it.

I have paid money for a game I cannot play.. brilliant. Yes, I will have to be patient and wait for steam to fix this issue, but that does nothing for the fact that I brought the game and could not play it on my day off work. If steam are going to have the tenacity to force users to install their latest patches and release such sloppy updates, then they should have at least the decency to provide a means of downgrading to a previous version that actually works.

Archived