players always 'look to switch off'

if isay passionately 'i expect a win', agger, suarez and adam switch off

if i say calmly to 'impress me', reina and carroll switch off

if i say assertively to 'do this for the fans' lucas and enrique switch off

if i say calmly 'i have faith' kuyt and downing switch off.

if i say passionately 'good luck', johnson switches off.

now i can understand if my team talks dont have much of an impact (that it would say 'no reaction noticed', or something similar), because i'm an unknown manager - but for my team talks to actually cause my players to 'switch off', thats another thing entirely. that says, that rather than not taking much notice of my talks, they're actually actively choosing to switch off due to what i have said.

i dont understand how me saying what i have said could cause them to switch off. ignore me, yes, but not to switch off. to ignore would suggest that they dont care what i say so there is no reaction, to switch off suggests that i'm getting a reaction.

does that sound right to everyone else?

I should not worry,the whole team talk is flawed and needs more work on it. I find the only time they are happy is when you just say no pressure who ever they are playing. They dont even seem to react in local derbies when you say do it for the fans.

if isay passionately 'i expect a win', agger, suarez and adam switch off

if i say calmly to 'impress me', reina and carroll switch off

if i say assertively to 'do this for the fans' lucas and enrique switch off

if i say calmly 'i have faith' kuyt and downing switch off.

if i say passionately 'good luck', johnson switches off.

now i can understand if my team talks dont have much of an impact (that it would say 'no reaction noticed', or something similar), because i'm an unknown manager - but for my team talks to actually cause my players to 'switch off', thats another thing entirely. that says, that rather than not taking much notice of my talks, they're actually actively choosing to switch off due to what i have said.

i dont understand how me saying what i have said could cause them to switch off. ignore me, yes, but not to switch off. to ignore would suggest that they dont care what i say so there is no reaction, to switch off suggests that i'm getting a reaction.

does that sound right to everyone else?

I posted on this earlier, but you've put it a lot better, really. Incredibly frustrating, even though we were top of the league (same as you, with Liverpool), and eventually everyone ended up with "abysmal" morale only in October 2011. Gave up on the save in the end as I felt I had no control over anything anymore - became a random guessing game.

Thought it might've been down to my reputation (started the save at Liverpool with Professional rep), but every time I think about it, it seems more and more like there's a big problem somewhere. Didn't have this problem at all until 12.2 was released.

i'm sure it wasn't this bad with the previous patch. i'd just get players ignoring me and the ass man would tell me after the match that suarez is 'finding it difficult to motivate himself to play for me', which is fine. I accept that. Its just the 'switching off' in response to my team talk that doesn't make sense.

Imho the whole "you start the game as a manager with no prior experience managing" is pretty meaningless unless you actually play the game career style. That is, starting unemployed and building up your reputation over 20-30 years. Sort of a role-playing game. Maybe a lot of people do this but I don't. I manage clubs. I take over a club and try my best to win everything with that club and then make it the biggest and best club in the world. I have never looked twice at my career stats or my personal wage and I don't give a damn about my reputation in the game. So when FM obsesses about my in-game reputation to the lengths that I cannot actually take over Barcelona and manage them (to save time, for instance, or to see how many goals Messi could score) because none of the players would listen to me since my World reputation would be too low for a whole season, SI is actually ruining my gaming experience! And for what reason? Provide difficulty? Realism? Give me a break...

I hope that FM13 gives us the option to choose between Career Mode and Club Mode, where the latter allows us to turn off the whole contract/job thing since getting fired = delete savegame anyway. Then the Career mode guys could do whatever they want with their way of playing the game, including marriage, kids and buying stuff for their house.

As for the OP, the problem does not lie as much with how players react to your team talk as with the notion that a positive reaction = good and a negative or no reaction = bad. That notion needs to be completely written off and abandoned if you are going to understand the motivational aspect of the game. For instance, firing up your players may backfire awfully in some cases; they could lose focus and become nervous and stressed out if they don't score early or if they concede first. Team talks is not a mini-game where the goal is to achieve a green upwards arrow! Thinking like that could cost you titles...

Team talks are all about counter-acting nervousness and complacency in order to maintain a balanced focus.

"Looked to switch off" means, the way I see it, that he heard what you said but disagrees. It may lead to the "looking uninterested" motivation feedback, suggesting a complete lack of focus. It is simply wrong that "nothing in particular noted" means that they didn't react. Usually, none of my players have a visible reaction in the dressing room, but 5 minutes into the game when I check the motivational gadget many of the players are "looking motivated" or "fired up". So in other words, "switching off" is the actual non-reaction in the game, contrary to what you say.

i just dont see how my players can disagree with what i said.

i passionately expect a win again WBA but players switch off

i say to impress me against fulham and they switch off

i say assertively to 'do it for the fans' against arsenal and they switch off.

i'm begining to think that 'swtiching off' actually means 'already switched off'. that is, rather than reacting to my team-talk, they have already switched off before i give my team-talk. so its actually saying 'you can say what ever the hell you like, aggers not going to give any reaction because he's already ignoring you'.

Due to exactly the same issues as OP states, I have ceased to give team talks. Makes no difference as far as I can see. I (& my players) am relieved of the tedium of the actual talk & we still win leagues.

Due to exactly the same issues as OP states, I have ceased to give team talks. Makes no difference as far as I can see. I (& my players) am relieved of the tedium of the actual talk & we still win leagues.

Well that's a load of nonsense, quite frankly.

Well that's a load of nonsense, quite frankly.

Don't just say it's a load of nonsense Tommie! Any fool can just post dismissive comments like yours!

Why don't you share with us what, in your considered opinion, is the situation?

My advice to OP is stop worrying about team talk reactions because the reactions from players are mostly very frustrating & they make very little difference to results. Get a decent Ass Man & let him do them.

Archived