Is FM12 one of the best CM/FMs of all time?

For me, CM2 was and still is my favourite. I have spent hundreds of hours on that game over the years and still play it via Dosbox.

In terms of recent FMs, I did enjoy FM11 and have to say I'm enjoying FM12 just as much. I never normally get very far in the game (play a few seasons then start a new game etc) but I am into season 9 in my only save so far and having a lot of fun with it.

I'm literally starting with FM12 but have been impressed so far. I'm yet to see whether or not it tops FM10, which I think is the best of the lot. I didn't get as much enjoyment from FM09 as I did the others and it nearly made me give up on FM altogether.

FM 2012 is probably my favorite of the series. I liked FM 2005-2008, but from 2009-2011 I thought the game regressed. I was considering packing it in, but FM 12 brought me back. I still dislike some of the features, like press conferences, but they are easy to skip so it's no big deal.

There is something to be said about being able to knock out 1 season in a few hours on the old CM games, now that was truly addictive. It'd be difficult to go back to something that basic now, but it was CM 03/04 that gave me the most fun over the years, so that would get my vote.

EDIT: Post 666:(

CM 03/04 is the best.

I like FM12, but the player sale glitch is annoying. Even with the game set prices, I don't think I've ever had an unsolicited bid for one of my players. That might be great for keeping the gang together, but I build up a squad so youngsters can take over if a good player is tempted away, only for no one to leave. And I hope they are able to release a hot fix for the Add/Remove League bug.

Basically, CM4 aside, they have all been pretty good fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Slight bump, FM12 has been a major disappointment for me, just can't get into. Find it hard to sell players. Players get unsettled after about a month and their squad status says backup or hot prospect. Transfer system has been a major bug for me in most versions of the game, amongst many other thing mentioned by other people in the thread.

So in that sense FM11 was probably the best version for me, then FM07.

I have only been playing FM since FM09, so I can't speak for "all time", but it's certainly the best out of the games since then (FM09 being the worst). FM10 was great too, closely followed by FM11. So of what I have played:

1. FM12

2. FM10

3. FM11

4. FM09 (which is behind by miles)

For what it's worth, my top five of the CM/FM series made by SI would be:

1. FM10

2. FM07

3. CM03/04

4. CM2

5. FM08

That's basically the versions that have captured my imagination the most and the versions that I have put the most amount of time into playing.

Personally, from the recent versions, I thought FM10 was fantastic and was a real return to form in my opinion. I still have FM10 installed and I will still be playing it for a while to come. The all round feel of the game is excellent and although I know it has its flaws (like any game) it is my favourite.

I've put some time in FM12 and got some enjoyment out of it. I'll continue to play it as I have a save going which I am enjoying. Without being too harsh, I think FM12 is pretty ugly and there are some questionable UI choices in my humble opinion. Also there are some features which frustrate me and, in general, I feel as if I have to put more 'work' into the game to enjoy it as much as I have done with previous versions. Therefore, I think it is a good game rather than a fantastic one.

CM 03/04 was evolutionary for me (despite its many bugs), FM 12 is the best release-day experience though, so far.

I remember seeing Championship Manager Italia in the shops back in the day, it was incredibly exciting to finally be able to manage one of those mythical Italian giants and discover Christian Vieri as a 17 year old :)

We're doing lists? I'm in.

1. FM07

2. CM 01/02

3. CM2

From FM10 and onwards, I haven't really been able to get into it, mainly because I think it's getting a bit too overcomplicated with fiddly stuff instead of fixing issues that have been in the game almost from the start. FM12 is the first game in the CM/FM series I haven't purchased based on this, and also being forced to use Steam.

FM07 is by far the game that has had me the most immersed, although my long term save games have been halted by crash dumps twice. Because of this I am currently playing FM08, which is also fairly enjoyable.

Been thinking about purchasing 12 for a little while, but currently have a great save on 11, although my enthusiasm for it is waning slightly. I'm getting to the point where I feel I have won everything, and want a new challenge.

What exactly makes 12 better than 11, I know it will be a matter of opinion, but what is good about the new features?

While FM 2012 is brilliant, having clocked up over a 1,000 hours on it, the one game that stands out for me in the past decade has to be FM 2006. I spent a very long time playing that game and loved everything about it, even the community custom skins that were made for it. Hellenic kicked butt!

ok my list is:

top 5

Cm 01/02 was when I started playing i still remember buying ronaldo for my man U.

Fm7 was good

Cm 03/04 2d was very cool.

Fm 10 3d match engine nice.

Fm12 have a few things that can do better but i like

I haven't played FM12 as my computer isn't good enough but I am soon getting a new pc so will get it then, as for the rest, I like FM07, FM09 & FM10, I also liked (and still play on amazingly) CM 01/02.

FM06 was one of my faves too but the disk I have doesn't work atm and I keep forgetting to get a new one, I didn't like FM05, it was annoying when it kept stopping to simulate games, I thought FM08 was rather more difficult than the rest of the games and I'm currently playing on FM11, its ok but is a little slow on my computer!

easily FM10 for me, still playing it and the only game I have had lengthy saves with. I bought FM11 soon after it came out but just couldn't get into it and subsequently didn't bother with FM12, one of the main reasons behind this was the added agent stuff, just didn't like that side of it being added in really even if it does make things more realistic. I don't know if I will change my mind as the starting FM10 squads get more and more out-dated, but most of the time I end up playing long term saves anyway so eventually it doesn't matter as everyone is a regen.

easily FM10 for me, still playing it and the only game I have had lengthy saves with. I bought FM11 soon after it came out but just couldn't get into it and subsequently didn't bother with FM12, one of the main reasons behind this was the added agent stuff, just didn't like that side of it being added in really even if it does make things more realistic. I don't know if I will change my mind as the starting FM10 squads get more and more out-dated, but most of the time I end up playing long term saves anyway so eventually it doesn't matter as everyone is a regen.

This is me down to a tee.

I've got a lengthy save going right now on FM10, one that's entering its 13th season. And i'm still really enjoying it.

I am still playing FM11.

Thought of buying FM12, but didn't like the following:

1). Its font

2). Absurd scorelines seemed to be more frequent, as do large point gaps between teams in the league table

Although I do like some of the FM12 features, such as the freedom to switch between different leagues and the 'historical positions' chart.

Out of the three versions I own from FM 2008 onwards, FM 2012 comes out on top. I also suspect that players tend pick their favourite iteration based on the save games and memories they have on those saves, rather than the specific games. It doesn't make sense that somebody'd absolutely ADORE FM 2006/2007 and completely thrash any version thereafter or before, for that matter. As at their core they're the same game, and everything that was added later on is either a) largely optional or b) cosmetic adjustments meant to better usability and "immersion". Some of that stuff I couldn't live without, such as the time line that lets you fast-forward and rewind a match seamlessly or the improvements that have been made to getting your head around player lists (short lists, detailed scouting reports, etc.).

Funnily enough, I downloaded the FM 2007 demo just to have the comparison to an even earlier iteration from where I started out. The first thing I noticed that no matter how defensively I set up my team, they'd always push for the final third of the pitch regardless, if with lesser urgency -- certainly the match engine back then still had some time to mature from where it is now, an engine that lets you pick between "just try to not concede" or "keep the ball" style of play to "push up and grab that equalizer!" tactics alike.

Archived