Football Manager Handheld 2012 (Android) Feedback Thread

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving fmh2012, been waiting for this game since I moved to Android last summer!

Just completed my first season and have some feedback:

Player comparison would be a very useful feature.

Device back button should go back, not exit!

Device menu button could go to game home menu.

Squad Selection needs to be easier, list of positions along top or bottom that could be dragged on to player name would be much more intuitive.

Clickable links for player/club names in News items would also be a nice feature.

Please, please do a skin for my galaxy tab (1024x600), I know it's not a popular screen size but if you don't ask...!

Really enjoying the game, takes me back a few years to when I was addicted to CM!

Thanks and keep up the great work.

ps what screen res/skins are currently supported?

• SI Staff
Player comparison would be a very useful feature.

Its something which will definitely be looked at for next version.

Device back button should go back, not exit!

This is implemented in the first update.

Device menu button could go to game home menu.

Considering this for the second update - google are attempting to phase this button out so its in 'debate' here as to whether its sensible to implement or not.

Squad Selection needs to be easier, list of positions along top or bottom that could be dragged on to player name would be much more intuitive.

The new HD skin for larger res devices (sorry 1280x720 so not the smaller tab at present) uses this system, on smaller screen devices there really isn't enough space to utilise it.

Clickable links for player/club names in News items would also be a nice feature.

This is something I'm considering for the future for larger screen devices.

Please, please do a skin for my galaxy tab (1024x600), I know it's not a popular screen size but if you don't ask...!

Hopefully we'll eventually be able to do skins for all device styles - unfortunately though yours is unlikely to get a specific skin in the short-term because its not one which is commonly used I'm afraid.

ps what screen res/skins are currently supported?

Any device with 480x320 resolution (or over) can run the game - the specific skins available initially were 480x320, 800x480 (this is the most common Android phone resolution) and 960x640. The first update (available early May) will add a 1280x720 skin (the most common tablet/new HD phone resolution).

PS - Glad you're enjoying the game.

Great Game! I am excite and already put 12 hours in. One thing is driving me crazy. How do I promote someone from my reserve team to my first team? I can only promote people that were previously demoted. Thanks in advance!

• SI Staff
Great Game! I am excite and already put 12 hours in. One thing is driving me crazy. How do I promote someone from my reserve team to my first team? I can only promote people that were previously demoted. Thanks in advance!

Glad you're enjoying the game - at present the 'grey' players in your reserves are simply 'fillers' in the same way any team has them in order to keep a squad present at a club (and the screen not looking 'odd') - they're virtual youth players and not promotable at present (although this is turning out to be a semi-common request so one day they might be ;) ).

On a 'normal' side they're present to ensure the team can always play a match when required and for human teams they're modelled to be somewhat below the level required for players at a club of that standard generally.

Glad you're enjoying the game - at present the 'grey' players in your reserves are simply 'fillers' in the same way any team has them in order to keep a squad present at a club (and the screen not looking 'odd') - they're virtual youth players and not promotable at present (although this is turning out to be a semi-common request so one day they might be ;) ).

On a 'normal' side they're present to ensure the team can always play a match when required and for human teams they're modelled to be somewhat below the level required for players at a club of that standard generally.

Thanks for the explanation.

It should be rolling out to other stores imminently - I'm over in the SI HQ at the end of the week and will try and find out more about the schedule for this side of things then.

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but is there any more news on this.

I just want this game so much!!

Thanks

Another vote for a 1024x600 skin. Please :-) I have the Ainol Novo7 Aurora. Lot's of us buying these devices with 1024x600 resolutions recently.

• SI Staff
Sorry to keep banging on about it, but is there any more news on this.

I just want this game so much!!

I queried it within a few hours of the office opening here once I arrived - at present its in flux, which is to say the business people are working on things, no definite timeline available yet; sorry, once I know one I'll post and let you know.

I queried it within a few hours of the office opening here once I arrived - at present its in flux, which is to say the business people are working on things, no definite timeline available yet; sorry, once I know one I'll post and let you know.

OK thanks for your quick replies.

Clickable links are no problem for now.

As for choosing squad, you could use long press. For example long press could show small list of available positions instead of going into tactical screen

• SI Staff

We're pleased to announce that the first update for Android (to version 3.4) is now live.

The update features a number of bug fixes and (by popular demand) a new 1280 x 720 skin for tablets and HD phones.

Changelist below:

#3.4a - First Android Update

Improve user input response on tablets

Cosmetic tweaks to WVGA skin

Add additional French club logo

Add battery warning to user interface when battery falls below 10%

Fix minor glitch with match odds news item

Tuning of free agent transfers

Fix rare pass count wrap display issue if player made over 128 passes in a match

Allow users to force installation where disk space wrongly reported as too low

Implement support for Android back button to be used as back button in-game

Remove Close button to prevent exit crash on Samsung Galaxy SII

Battery life optimizations

Add warning if app is run on a device with inadequate resolution

Welsh Manager Performance Award Fix

Port Vale points deduction

Fix rare issue in European comps if a minor club wins major competition

Fix for JPT issue if a Conference club is promoted & qualifies for Europe

Minor text fixes (grammar and translations)

Improve the manner in which players react to bankruptcy

Added apostrophe to keyboard

Fix crash caused when interrupting scout search setup

Implement 1280x720 resolution skin support

Improve accuracy of required storage space calculation

Fix very rare corruption of player history in long term saves

Thanks for the great work! Will feedback about the new skin after an extended play but it's great so far although it would be nice to not have mini borders top and bottom for my Galaxy Tab 8.9; also the task bar isn't hidden with the game loaded?

• SI Staff
I've posted in the bugs section, but the back button doesn't work for me anymore. So I can't exit the game! Archos G9 80.

This is entirely intentional (the removal of the back button) - by design standard Android applications are not intended to contain an exit button and a minority of devices exhibited issues with exiting the application through an exit call from the application itself.

Could you explain why the normal Android home button isn't available on your device - to my knowledge all Android devices should have this functionality, not least because the vast majority of android applications don't contain exit buttons (FMH was unusual in this regard to contain one originally).

PS - The Archos G9 80 is 1,024x768 resolution using honeycomb - as such there should definitely be a menu buttons visible on the display as part of the OS; if you have used an application to disable these menu buttons then I would recommend you re-enable them before starting the game (in the same manner I expect you'd have to for most android applications).

Great game, guys! It's got that "just one more game"-addictiveness, and that's a good thing!

Two questions:

- will my savegame work after installing the update?

- How do I save multiple tactics? I've created and saved one. Now I have created another one, but when I hit the load/save button I can only load my previous tactic - not save the new one. Help?

Hi Marc.

I should have said I'm running ics on the archos. I have a home button, but that's not how I'd expect to exit the app. All other applications I have either use the back button to leave, or have an exit button (eg opera).

My back button is disabled during the whole game. It doesn't feel like an android experience now.

Brilliant game, btw. Takes me back to the CM01/02 days!

• SI Staff
Hi Marc.

I should have said I'm running ics on the archos. I have a home button, but that's not how I'd expect to exit the app. All other applications I have either use the back button to leave, or have an exit button (eg opera).

My back button is disabled during the whole game. It doesn't feel like an android experience now.

The back button isn't disabled in game - it acts as a 'back button' in the game .... I changed this from having it 'background' the application because lots of people complained having the 'back' button background the application made it feel non-android (I really can't win on this can I ;) ).

I didn't enable it for 'Cancel' in the game however as I felt that might be potentially misleading and often you can't undo a Cancel option.

Brilliant game, btw. Takes me back to the CM01/02 days!

Glad you're enjoying it.

Great game, guys! It's got that "just one more game"-addictiveness, and that's a good thing!

Two questions:

- How do I save multiple tactics? I've created and saved one. Now I have created another one, but when I hit the load/save button I can only load my previous tactic - not save the new one. Help?

Sorted this one out. I had only tinkered with player and team instructions, so the game still considered it to be a default tactic. Hence no saving. I pushed a midfielder forward and back again, and was then able to save. :)

We're pleased to announce that the first update for Android (to version 3.4) is now live.

The update features a number of bug fixes and (by popular demand) a new 1280 x 720 skin for tablets and HD phones

Alari / Marc,

Really appreciate your hard work - the removal of the close button has cured my Galaxy S2 woes and the new skin is perfect for my ASUS TF101 tablet :-)

Have you removed the close game button from the main screen? I think you have got the back button thing right, but as person says above, when you want to physically exit the game. I can get to football manager handheld screen, but have to home button it to leave, just needs an exit application button there. This is on my asus transformer.

• SI Staff
Have you removed the close game button from the main screen? I think you have got the back button thing right, but as person says above, when you want to physically exit the game. I can get to football manager handheld screen, but have to home button it to leave, just needs an exit application button there. This is on my asus transformer.

I'm afraid the 'Exit' button was causing problems for a small minority of users - which is why it was removed ...

I'm looking at potentially adding an 'invisible' exit option for a future update (basically back on the game start page) BUT only if it can avoid causing problems for people obviously.

I'm afraid the 'Exit' button was causing problems for a small minority of users - which is why it was removed ...

I'm looking at potentially adding an 'invisible' exit option for a future update (basically back on the game start page) BUT only if it can avoid causing problems for people obviously.

Is it possible to implement the back button as an exit option when on the game start page? A confirmation dialog would be useful too. Also is it not possible to implement an exit button to mimic the home button since that's how we're meant to close it now?

On a side note, would it not be a good idea to put a more complete update list in the "What's New" tab in the Google Play listing?

• SI Staff

On a side note, would it not be a good idea to put a more complete update list in the "What's New" tab in the Google Play listing?

Personally I agree, I'll ask around to see if this is possible.

You can do this by tapping on the name of the opposing team in the titlebar.

Speaking of that.. Would love to see which division that team is in. I often forget which division/league the opposing team is in when playing cups and so on.

Also, scouting is either really annoying or my scouts cant find any good players outside of the region because the club is too small. How do i know if there's a point in searching for players in other continents?

And speaking of scouts, would love a "scout shortlist" feature.

• SI Staff
Is there any chance that I will play in FMH 2012 on my Samsung Galaxy 551 (240 x 400)?

This phone is currently not supported due to insufficient screen resolution - as it's a very unusual one I'm not sure it's likely we'll make a skin specifically for it I'm afraid.

Great game, but so far I've lost two of my savegames :(

The first time was after installing the update, second time just now out of the blue... I'm new to smartphone/android, so maybe it's just me, but I thought I'd share. On an Xperia arc s btw.

First, can I say what a great surprise it was to find this on the Play Store last night. :D

I do have a couple of cross machine queries though. (Welcome to Android!)

Firstly, I have an Advent Vega tablet which runs at a resolution of 1024 x 600. This seems to be too small a resolution to qualify for the 'tablet skin' but possibly because the screen is too big for a phone resolution it leaves the game running with a big black border (and minus the lovely drag and drop team selection present on the iPad). I see this issue has been mentioned by a few different tablet owners all with their own devices so apologies if I'm repeating it. But if this likely something I'll just have to grin and bear due to the resolution of my tab?

Secondly, I also have a HTC Desire as my phone of choice. Now this runs fine - much smoother than I even hoped for on a 2+ year old phone - but my save files aren't being created in the fmhdata folder as indicated in the thread fufurther up the page. I can see the saves fine on my tablet just not on the phone. Is this a problem anyone else has reported? I had a search but haven't seen anything mentioning it.

• SI Staff
Great game, but so far I've lost two of my savegames :(

The first time was after installing the update, second time just now out of the blue... I'm new to smartphone/android, so maybe it's just me, but I thought I'd share. On an Xperia arc s btw.

Usually, save games being lost is down to some possible corruption when saving the game to your SD card. Are you currently running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)?

First, can I say what a great surprise it was to find this on the Play Store last night. :D

I do have a couple of cross machine queries though. (Welcome to Android!)

Firstly, I have an Advent Vega tablet which runs at a resolution of 1024 x 600. This seems to be too small a resolution to qualify for the 'tablet skin' but possibly because the screen is too big for a phone resolution it leaves the game running with a big black border (and minus the lovely drag and drop team selection present on the iPad). I see this issue has been mentioned by a few different tablet owners all with their own devices so apologies if I'm repeating it. But if this likely something I'll just have to grin and bear due to the resolution of my tab?

Secondly, I also have a HTC Desire as my phone of choice. Now this runs fine - much smoother than I even hoped for on a 2+ year old phone - but my save files aren't being created in the fmhdata folder as indicated in the thread fufurther up the page. I can see the saves fine on my tablet just not on the phone. Is this a problem anyone else has reported? I had a search but haven't seen anything mentioning it.

On your first point you are correct, the current skins for tablets and high-res smart-phones display at 1184x720 and 1280x720. Any look into supporting any new skins will obviously have to take into account the demand for it and usage stats. I appreciate that it's not ideal at this moment in time.

As for your save game issue, that certainly does seem unusual - again may be down to issues possible with the SD card or it's connection. Marc would definitely know more than me about this sort of thing.

• SI Staff

Not saying it can't be helped, it's just difficult to track down the root of the problem with so many types of devices. If say the SD card has a slightly loose connection in the phone, it tends to dismount itself at times, obviously if something like this happens when you're in the middle of saving to an SD card, then it will fall over.

Out of curiosity, can you check in the save game folder .../fmh_data/save_games and see if there are any saves in there?

• SI Staff

Can you see the fmhdata folder at all? - if not then your device has indicated that there is insufficient space to install on the sdcard and installed it within the area where the apk's install because it found it had space there.

Presuming you have an SD Card with sufficient space for the game available can you check its connected to the device properly and that its available for access (ie. not shared with a computer) as either of those might have caused this to occur.

• SI Staff

Losing save games is very rare - the normal causes are:

(1) Battery failure while the game is active. The game is told by the operating system to save at what the OS considers 'critical points' - for example if the game is backgrounded or the device turned off, unfortunately the OS also asks for this when a battery is about to fail. Normally thats fine and the game saves down, but on devices with high battery drain or old batteries very occassionally the OS won't give enough warning and the save won't have completed when the battery runs out (meaning simply the save is incompleted and so can't be loaded).

(2) Restarting the application immediately after exiting, this is a purely theoretical cause as I've never managed to replicate it myself - but if you manage to exit and re-enter the application very quickly then its possible that the save would be affected (as the OS would interrupt the active (but closing) application to allow the new instance to be created).

(3) Plugging your device into a computer mid-save, if you plug an android device into a computer then on many systems this will trigger sharing of the SD Card - which prevents applications from writing to the disk and will mess up your game saving.

(4) Loose SD Card; if your SD Card isn't mounted securely then it might lose connection and thus access during a save (similar to '3' but more erratic in nature.

(5) Faulty SD Card; some very old cards (or just unlucky ones) can be somewhat flaky with storage and simply 'drop' data. This is however very rare in newer cards.

(6) There was an issue in FMH2012 3.3 with a small minority of devices related to using the 'Close Game' button which could cause save game issues. This is the reason why the button was removed in the 3.4 update (if you are using 3.3 and have issues with save games then I recommend updating or avoiding use of the Close Game button).

Hmm, none of those points apply, but my SD card is over 2 years old. If that's considered as old then maybe I'll replace it.

Some more info about this morning's issue: I loaded the game and then walked upstairs as it was loading. When I looked again I got a message saying FMH wasn't responding (or something like that), but when I pressed the Wait button (instead of Force Close) I could access the Load menu as usual. Only there was no Load option; just the Continue option. Which didn't do anything :/

My saved tactic did survive the crashes, though...

• SI Staff
Some more info about this morning's issue: I loaded the game and then walked upstairs as it was loading. When I looked again I got a message saying FMH wasn't responding (or something like that), but when I pressed the Wait button (instead of Force Close) I could access the Load menu as usual. Only there was no Load option; just the Continue option. Which didn't do anything :/

Load displays if there is more than one save file available, Continue appears if there is only one save file available - did you have more than one save game available, if possible can you look in the /fmh_data/save_games directory and indicate whats present in it ... even better if you could email the saves to me to take a look at (marc.vaughan@sigames.com).

btw were these manual or automatic saves which you lost?

Hey Marc I'm a huge fan of the fmh manager game series and have a few copies on my psp. I was very excited when i heard that it was going to be released on android (now i could finally play the game nonstop :D) but unfortunately after downloading it on my galaxy y it did not work :(. Is there a way of fixing this or perhaps can the next version of this game include phones with smaller resolutions? I know I must be echoing the thoughts of many other fmh fans that just cannot play the game they love because of the resolution..I hope that this wont be too much of a burden for you and if it is done then it would be VERY appreciated..but if it is impossible I will just have to move on with my life and try to forget about the game.

I hope you will be patient enough to read this post

There was one manual save and then the three (I guess) automatic saves, but I can't access any of them because pressing Continue Game doesn't do anything :( It does show the Restoring Game Data window for an instant, but I never leave the top menu.

I don't have my charger cable with me now, but I will search for any saves via the PC tonight or tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

• SI Staff
Hey Marc I'm a huge fan of the fmh manager game series and have a few copies on my psp. I was very excited when i heard that it was going to be released on android (now i could finally play the game nonstop :D) but unfortunately after downloading it on my galaxy y it did not work :(. Is there a way of fixing this or perhaps can the next version of this game include phones with smaller resolutions? I know I must be echoing the thoughts of many other fmh fans that just cannot play the game they love because of the resolution..I hope that this wont be too much of a burden for you and if it is done then it would be VERY appreciated..but if it is impossible I will just have to move on with my life and try to forget about the game.

I hope you will be patient enough to read this post

As you know we don't currently support resolutions as small as that on the Galaxy Y. I'm not yet sure whether we'll be able to do so in the near future or whether the quantity of people using such devices is high enough to justify investing time in working towards it (more of a question for Marc).

One thing that concerns me is that the Google Play store should have blocked you from downloading onto the Galaxy Y, can you let me know when you downloaded the app and which country's store this took place through? Thanks.

• SI Staff
There was one manual save and then the three (I guess) automatic saves, but I can't access any of them because pressing Continue Game doesn't do anything :( It does show the Restoring Game Data window for an instant, but I never leave the top menu.

I don't have my charger cable with me now, but I will search for any saves via the PC tonight or tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

Hi - it won't be possible to correctly retrieve the saves using the cable, please see the guide here instead: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/254587-iFMH-Android-How-to-extract-and-send-us-your-save-game-file?p=7729086&viewfull=1#post7729086

The match engine seems a bit ...off. I just met FC Halifax (BSN) in the FA Cup final. I won 11-0. Halifax had previously knocked out both Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Aston Villa.

My Barnsley warriors should apparently cruise through the Premier league with ease. :)

• SI Staff
Marc, you say it's not possible to access the save files via plugging it into your computer via the USB cable, but that's how I've always managed it?

Well - it may be possible but it's certainly not a reliable way, on some Android devices the PC isn't capable of 'seeing' the saves properly so I can't recommend it.

Archived