Does a faster player require more agility?

...... or rarther, does a slower player NOT need it?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone out there knows the answer to this?

I am more than happy to listen to assumptions though ;)

I ask as I am playing as Spurs and have Kranjcar who I love to watch 'on the ball'. In this version of the game his agility is much lower, but he still weaves in and out of players, whcih I am now sure is down to his balance, which remains high at 17.

Thus, seeing as he can still do this, I am wondering if a slow player (acceleration and pace) simply doesnt need agility?!?!?!?!?!?

Regards

LAM

*EDIT*

Oh oo oh oo oh..... 2000 posts :)

Agility will help him when he's been challenged and running at full speed, as does balance as that will allow him to ride the challenge and stay on his feet.

It's like everything else though and depends on the scenario. Sometimes he'll need it and it'll show. But at other times you'll not even notice it makes a difference.

Thanks.....BUT....... do you think Acceleration and Pace make a difference?

Quote from manual

'Agility reflects how well a player can start, stop, and move in different directions at varying levels of speed (pace). It ties in with the Pace, Acceleration, and Balance attributes as they work together in the match engine, especially when a player is running with the ball'

If my player has low pace is agility still as relevant?

It will be relevant in certain scenarios like once he hits top speed, even if the speed he can reach is only low.

But no pace and acceleration aren't needed in a team imo. Although it can also be effective but I'd rather take a mentally strong player over a physical one.

It will be relevant in certain scenarios like once he hits top speed, even if the speed he can reach is only low.

But no pace and acceleration aren't needed in a team imo. Although it can also be effective but I'd rather take a mentally strong player over a physical one.

Agreed.

I'm playing that 442 counter attack of yours (and really enojoying it) and I currently have Ade from Man City on load and he sure uses the pace and acceleration well, but I can't help but think of the lost opportunities where he wont bring others into play.

I think Speed is like dribbling..... one player for each, much more than that and t he tactcs start falling apart......

Agreed.

I'm playing that 442 counter attack of yours (and really enojoying it) and I currently have Ade from Man City on load and he sure uses the pace and acceleration well, but I can't help but think of the lost opportunities where he wont bring others into play.

I think Speed is like dribbling..... one player for each, much more than that and t he tactcs start falling apart......

He's not a kind of player that bringing others into play - it's rather effect of his mental attributes. Agility doesn't matter because even when he has opportunity to bring others into play, he doesn't see it (low anticipation) or doesn't want to see it (low teamwork)...

I wouldn't bracket pace & acceleration as physical, rather i would think that player is more athletic. I love athletic and mentally strong players. Physical to me is those big brutes usually found in my team as one of the CB or DM.

They are physical attributes though. If a player lacks mental attributes then physicals are even more important as they can mask a little bit of his weakness as he has to rely on pace and acceleration. If you read my reply I didn't bracket them either. I was on about I'd take a mentally strong (mental attributes) player over a physical one (physical attributes).

They are physical attributes though. If a player lacks mental attributes then physicals are even more important as they can mask a little bit of his weakness as he has to rely on pace and acceleration. If you read my reply I didn't bracket them either. I was on about I'd take a mentally strong (mental attributes) player over a physical one (physical attributes).

An indictment of me taking it too literally then.

My teams tend to be quite young in average age, but by choosing lads with high determination and good decision-making the relative weakness of their mental attributes vs their tremendous physical attributes tends to work out alright. But I mean, the more well-rounded the better, its just that I find I can teach players the mental side of the game, and their tactical play improves with time, but rarely do you see a player with average jumping or average pace become exceptionally quick or a dominant leaper. I like fullbacks with pace and stamina, CBs with great aerial ability, anticipation, strength, tackling, well-rounded central mids, pacy wingers, finishing with fast fast forwards. Scored over 120 goals to break the La Liga, so the tremendous physicality has paid off.

^ Not trying to find a hole in your armour but how did you do against the better teams?

Physicality mixed with medium levels of mental abilities is not hard to get in a strong team (most player teams), so beating weaker teams on a regular basis should be easy. It's the better teams in Europe that will have a tendancy to pick apart a physical team rather than a mental one.

Needless to say, a balance or having both sets of attributes is king, but this is not always possible.

I'd like to develop a very intelligent and technical side that isn't particularly strong or fast but my tendency to develop defensive tactics always implies that i need massive pace upfront or at least on the wings, i always end up playing counter attacking football.

Just as a response to the OP, I find agility highly useful throughout the team, however in some cases, mental attributes can help mask poor agility. I don't think pace is a big deal for it personally, though it will help. Defenders will need it to quickly turn if the ball gets played in behind, but anticipation and positioning will help mask it. If a player on the ball is in a tight space, agility will be useful. I feel it can be applied to anybody however I will look for it primarily in somebody who will be good on the ball and good at dribbling. Those players I feel will be using their agility more than others, but I wouldn't link it directly to pace.

I've been champions of Europe 3 of the last 5 seasons, the other 2 were won by Sevilla, who guess what, are also managed by myself. I took over just to have a glorified feeder club, that would do a proper job of developing talent for my 1st team. Well, I was a little more successful than maybe I initially had envisioned :D

Most recently in the CL Semifinals I was up against Inter, a very strong squad at their disposal, with the only real weakness IMO being that their top players are now 30-32 while many of mine were 25-28. Well, I was able to beat them 5-1 in Milan, started a close game, but once I took the lead and played on the counter the goals just kept on coming! Hey, thats the fitness edge, its not my fault their oldies are starting to get slow and weak! They were surprisingly tenacious in the 2nd leg and I settled for the 2-2.

My Sevilla squad had to go through Man U (EPL champs that year), we won 3-1 at Old Trafford, again some of their key players were around 32, incl. a CB. The tie was over after about 40 minutes, but in the 2nd leg again they did a bit better than I had expected, and somehow managed a 1-0, so I think my players youth probably showed in that sense both times, that they got a little complacent in the 2nd leg. In the finals, well, both were my squads, and both were built using my philosophy of youth development, two very fast, very strong, attacking teams, with 2 CBs on each side who were IMO the best 4 CBs in the world at that moment. A 1.99m Argie on Sevilla, and a 2.03m Argie on Juventus!

I know which mental attributes I like for any given position, and obviously determination and decisions no one can have a glaring weakness there, for midfielders always remember workrate and teamwork, positioning for defenders, anticipation for wingers, composure and off the ball for the forwards... Bravery and aggressiveness are never dealbreakers for me, if thats a players only weakness then its a complete non-issue IMO.

^ Not trying to find a hole in your armour but how did you do against the better teams?

Physicality mixed with medium levels of mental abilities is not hard to get in a strong team (most player teams), so beating weaker teams on a regular basis should be easy. It's the better teams in Europe that will have a tendancy to pick apart a physical team rather than a mental one.

Needless to say, a balance or having both sets of attributes is king, but this is not always possible.

Archived