Arsene Wenger style tactics 12.2.2

Ok people, here is my final tactic for FM 12 as promised. This time i wanted to do something a little different from the Clough/Germany tactics and go with the flamboyant beauty of Wenger's tactics (moaning and winging not included)

Used them again with Heerenveen. Won the domestic double first season. Going even better into season 2 despite selling all my best players. Going well in the Champions League too. My new 750K Nigerian striker Ighalo has 20 goals in 10 games.

These are only based on Wenger's style and my own interpretation. Obviously everyone has different opinions on his style but bare in mind that I've had to copy his style but more importantly get them to actually work within the game so it cant be an exact copy of Wenger's tactics, simply because we would get raped every game. Near as can be though.

The tactic is again my favourite formation 4-2-3-1. Sorry to all the people who wanted me to make a flat 442, a few reasons behind it but the main one being 442 is so inconsistent within the game, at least i find it to be. Also wingers who play in a flat 442 are so thin in numbers in the game.

To get the best out of these tactics you need to think like Wenger when it comes to players. Pace and Technique are vital in the forward areas.

Here is the low down on the Positions.

GOALKEEPER: Your last line of defence, key attributes are Reflexes, Handling and One on ones.

FULLBACKS: They will support the attack when in possession but also need to get back when not so look for attributes in Stamina, Tackling and Crossing.

CENTRAL DEFENDERS: You don't need no fancy Dan's here, you want solid and dependable warriors. Think Adams and Keown. Strength, Heading and Concentration.

BALL WINNING MIDFIELDER: Your Patrick Viera. Big imposing midfield player, preferably over 6ft tall and build like a brick out house. Tackling, Strength, Positioning and Heading.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER: This player will look to get forward and create whenever possible. Look for Passing, Creativity and Technique.

WINGERS: Think more Marc Overmars and Robert Pires than Theo Walcott, we want end product here. Pace and Acceleration obviously. Dribbling, Crossing and Creativity to make all that running worthwhile.

TREQUARTISTA: The main creative force of your team. The Bergkamp, the Fabregas, the play-maker. This guy needs to be a gifted player, your most gifted player. Most things will go through him. Technique obviously, also Creativity, Passing, Flair and Finishing for that extra bit of devastation.

POACHER: The cherry on the cake if you like. In my save he has scored for fun. The Ian Wright/Henry of your team. Pace, Acceleration, Finishing and composure.

Hopefully thats given you a taste of the kind of players you should be looking to bring into the squad. Obviously Rome was not built in a day and neither was a successful footy team. Built patiently and methodically.

NEED TO KNOW:

PITCH: Think more Highbury than Emirates and go for Small.

TEAM TALKS: Everybody cringe. If this is where you struggle don't put previous experience as Sunday League footballer, you'll end up with about as much respect as Steve Kean and Terry Connor. Go Automatic or above. I usually go for a fans based team talk pre match and if winning a don't get complacent based team talk at HT. If losing i give them the Hairdryer. Listen to your Ass Man though, he can guide you. I do tend not to give any praise until Full time though. Patting on the back at HT usually leads to a 2nd half collapse and capitulation in my experience.

MATCH PREP Attacking Movement. Could it be anything else with Wenger.

SHOUTS AND OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS: As a Practicing lazy so n so i never use either but its a tactic built using the wizard so if its your thing go ahead. If it don't work though dont blame me. Just stop using them.

POST MATCH INTERVIEWS: If the ref gets a decision wrong in your favour then you should answer "i didn't see it" If you lose then it was down to the oppositions disgraceful tactics chopping your players in half and basically refusing to lay down and die and let you win. A little Wenger joke there before i get some nooby questions about it

I think thats everything. Hope they work for you as well as they are for me. If not don't cry like a Wenger. Its only a game after-all.

Regards JP

4-2-3-1 VERSION

More solid 4-4-2 version now added.

Won champions League and Premier League with Middlesbrough using it.

4-4-2 VERSION

I play with Tottenham and Schalke on max pitch size and both my strikers (Defoe and Huntelaar) are scoring for fun. I gave the player on the number 10 postion ppm 'plays through balls' and he and the amr player have the most assists at the moment:) focus before match defense positioning.

JP my pitch size is normal, will that make much of a difference to the tactic?

Cheers

Steve

I dont think so. Im getting great results home and away so on all pitch sizes really. I just prefer small pitches for short passing.

I play with Tottenham and Schalke on max pitch size and both my strikers (Defoe and Huntelaar) are scoring for fun. I gave the player on the number 10 postion ppm 'plays through balls' and he and the amr player have the most assists at the moment:) focus before match defense positioning.

I don't ever use shouts or opposition instructions and i always use attacking movement focus. Glad its working for you though.

Can this work for all teams?? i mean can this work for Wigan? hull? and so on

I dont see why not. Im using with Heerenveen, as you can see my squad does not have any star players yet we are hugely over achieving in both the league and the Champions League. I even sold my 4 star players at the end of the first season and replaced them with youth players. Obviously the Prem is a much harder league to play in but with the right signings im sure you will over achieve.

bqIEu.png

dlghx.png

m0kGx.png

Deployed this with my Tottenham game, first season and nearly the end.

Man Utd - Tottenham 1-3 WIN

And actually a joy to look at in 3d (i play all my games this way)

But JP - how is your striker doing? Banging in goals?

Yes unbalievable strike rate, he has 180 goals in 131 games. Been using a flat 442 version of the tactic with Middlesbrough. In 4 seasons ive won:

1 Prem title

1 Champions League title

1 Europa league winner

1 European Super Cup winner

1 FA cup win

2 League cup wins

PayOM.png

Uf2Lu.png

vbMGW.png

fsDcC.png

Yes unbalievable strike rate, he has 180 goals in 131 games. Been using a flat 442 version of the tactic with Middlesbrough. In 4 seasons ive won:

1 Prem title

1 Champions League title

1 Europa league winner

1 European Super Cup winner

1 FA cup win

2 League cup wins

Have you just dragged the players around to make the 442 or is it a new tactic?

I notice in the OP you say "more solid" 4-4-2. Do you reckon the 4-4-2 is better then, or just more defensive?

I think the 442 is better and definitely more solid. Certainly it has been so far. When i played the likes of Barca and Madrid with Heerenveen using the 4231 version i got murdered away. Using the 442 with Boro and results and performances have been so much better. Its personal prefrence though, some prefer the 4231.

Thanks for the reply. I'm bored of "testing" my own tactics, so I'm going to take a break from it for a while and just enjoy playing the game. I've decided to start off my new career using your 442, because your tactics have interested me for a while but I never get around to using them. I just wanted to ask: do you always use the tactic as plug and play (i.e. same tactic with no tweaks, regardless of home/away, favourite/underdogs). As I said, I'm bored of analysing tactics, so want to plug and enjoy for a while :)

Yeah just plug and play mate. No opposition Instructions and match prep attacking movement on average.

I will try this 4-4-2 of yours out in my second season with Wolfsburg (two games left in the first season) have had issues with finding a consistent tactic....I got Luuk De Jong, and Schieber coming in on frees, and will most likely go for Sigpordosson (spelling is way off) from Ajax, Imagine that two of the three can do a job as the CF correct?

Finished my lower league test with Gateshead using the 442 version.

This done much better than even i expected. Pre season prediction of 11th yet we won the BSP and the FA trophy very easily. The 2 main strikers netted 93 goals between them.

Im now in no doubt that the 442 version is better than the 4231 version.

2UmF3.png

muPE2.png

iSJ9H.png

W10mU.png

Brilliant results with Gateshead JP. My record so far with Oldham (media prediction 15th, but signed 3 players to improve squad) in League 1 is W4 D0 L5 F19 A19, so some way off how you've been performing with it. I know from testing my own tactics that you need to wait until it's fully fluid before judging though, so I'll keep plugging away. I'll give it a full season no matter what, and let you know how it went at the end.

Are you using the 442?

I used these team talks all season and they worked a treat:

Pre match:

Calm (for the fans)

HT Winning:

Assertive (don't get complacent)

HT Drawing or Losing:

Aggressive (choose any)

FT win - Praise

FT draw or loss- Hammer them

@ Millsinho : I advise you to do the teamwalk yourself !! it helps a lot. A lot of times when i am drawing or even loosing , i use the teamtalk myself to awake them. and you know what ?? we won every time !! even when i was 2-0 down first half. I went on the Anger way and we won 2-3 !! it does only take like 2 mins of your time...

other thing: This tactic looks really solid (flat 442!) i started a save yesterday with Leeds.. Didn't lose 1 preseason match. first league match i played was against Watford. we won 3-1 at home. But the most important part is the way the team plays.. some super combination and we controlled the game completly! was like 79% possession. The defence looks really strong :)

i like it :)

I'm afraid things have gone from bad to worse for me using the 442. I'm now sat in 22nd place in League 1 with a record of W5 D6 L14 F42 A51. I've tried the teamtalks suggested here as well as letting the assistant man handle them, and neither seem to help. My media prediction was 15th before I signed 3 better players, and now according to Genie Scout I've got the 8th best team in the league, so I think the tactic just musn't suit my players I'm afraid.

:confused: Not sure what to say really. Surprised its performing so bad even with Oldham. I might start a save with Oldham myself to see if i can pin point whats happening. Im just about to start a league 2 campaign with Gateshead so ill see how it goes.

Does it really make that much of a difference if you do team talks yourself or if you let your assistant manager, who is a really good man motivator, do it?

I think you're half right, however the ass man with sometimes say things that not only dont work but have a detrimental effect of the teams performance. I expect a win pre match for example and praising at half time seems to lead to 2nd half capitulations.

I suppose its a gamble both ways. Doing it yourself might potentially work better than ass man, but it also has the potential to go horribly wrong- more so than if your ass man did it. However, on the other hand your ass man might not do as well as you might do it.

I just feel with the ass man, you get less extreme reactions :/

• 2 months later...

Have you continued your success with this tactic JP? Or made any changes to improve it? Also, would it be possible for you to list your team instructions, and the reasoning behind them? :)

How are you doing for possession? I can never hit the nail when it comes to retaining possession in a 4-2-3-1, the space the AI gets between my winger and fullback seems to allow them way too much time on the ball.

A whole bunch of questions!

Have you continued your success with this tactic JP? Or made any changes to improve it? Also, would it be possible for you to list your team instructions, and the reasoning behind them? :)

How are you doing for possession? I can never hit the nail when it comes to retaining possession in a 4-2-3-1, the space the AI gets between my winger and fullback seems to allow them way too much time on the ball.

A whole bunch of questions!

I made a more stable flat 442 version, less gap between wingers and fullbacks and better possession.

For some reason, I recently got the urge to give this tactic another go, despite it not suiting my Oldham team at all when I originally tried it. I'm glad I did though, because the results have been much better the second time around.

To set the scene, I started a new game with Liverpool and used the default team (with the exception of Gareth Barry, who I signed in the January transfer window as cover for Lucas in the ball winner role). I used attacking movement match prep on average as recommended, and my team talks weren't really that different to the ones recommended here - just with a bit more variation to suit specific scenarios.

As you can see from the screenshots below, we managed to win the Premiership and the League Cup at the first time of asking. We were also unlucky to get knocked out of the FA Cup in a match against Stoke that we completely dominated.

Overall, I was really impressed with the results, especially given that all my strikers were injured at one stage, meaning I had to play Gerrard and Ecclestone (a reserve player) up front for a few weeks. I've played as the default Liverpool team a couple of times before using other tactics, but this is the first time I've managed to win the league in the first season.

One thing I really noticed, was that the tactic seemed to get much stronger once it had bedded in. I'm not just talking about it becoming 'fully fluid' on the tactics screen either, I mean well after then - say about two thirds of the way through the season - it really seemed as though everything clicked into place, and I really started dominating from then onwards.

With a couple of signings to improve the squad depth, and hopefully better luck with injuries, I should have a decent chance of defending the title in season two.

I was also going to post a screenshot of my 1st choice eleven in case anyone was interested, but I've reached the image limit for this post now so I'll just list it.

GK - Reina

DR - Johnson

DCR - Carragher

DCL - Agger

DL - Enrique

MR - Henderson

MCR - Lucas

MCL - Gerrard

ML - Downing

FCR - Kuyt

FCL - Suarez

Cheers Woody.

Thanks for the feedback. You had an impressive season with not the strongest squad in the world. I have also found the tactic gets stronger with age, ive barely managed to get promotion from the championship scraping results against the likes of wafford and peterborough then with very few changes in the prem getting into the champs league thrashing the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City. Very strange but proves patience and trust in your squad pays off.

JP

Will you be releasing this new 442?

Steve

Its been released ages, check the OP out. Just pointing it out to the poster because he was only talking about the 4231 version and wanting improvements. The 442 version is better than the 4231.

Yes the injuries can be an annoyance when it becomes silly numbers but it nothing to do with the tactic, just the way the game is and has always been. That said the multiple injuries do make it feel a more authentic Wenger tactic no? lol. Considering your injuries youve done remarkably well i think. Im glad the tactic is helping you enjoy your save.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived