Clwb Pêl Droed Aberystwyth

SirToby

November - December 2021

Champions Cup Group A

Aberystwyth 0 – 2 Chelsea

We kept Chelsea away from scoring for 68 minutes so I could not help being a little bit disappointed that we could not hold on. But Chelsea was the dominant team and deserved three points.

Zenit 2 – 2 Aberystwyth

This was an important result! We were now one point in front of Zenit who would play Chelsea in London in the last game. It was fantastic to see Scholz equalize with 20 minutes to go and the players holding on to the result.

Aberystwyth 1 – 3 FC Bayern

Zenit had to win at Stamford Bridge to win the third place but as expected the lost why my team ended third! Also as expected, FC Bayern beat us in superior style. We are now through to the EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round against Rangers.

Table

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round

Aberystwyth 2 - 1 Rangers

It was very frustrating to see my players miss all these chances. We were the far better team and it would have been awful if Lawless had not scored right away after Rangers’ equaliser. I was hopeful before the second leg because we had been a lot better than Rangers in this match.

Rangers 1 – 1 Aberystwyth

Our European adventure continues! It was a much more even match this time and we defended our lead from the first match. Next up is Fenerbahce who we lost against twice last season.

Marts 2022

EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round

Aberystwyth 2 – 1 Fenerbahce

Another great result as our adventure continued. We were a bit sharper than Fenerbahce and ended up with a 2-1 win and I could not complain at all. My players were playing fantastically when you looked at who they were up against.

Fenerbahce 1 - 3 Aberystwyth

One of the best performances in the history of Aberystwyth Town. Unbelievable result that send us through to the quarter finals! I am so proud of my players who played up to their best. Hendrik Scholz continues his amazing form in Europe with his 12th European goal this season.

Marts - April 2022

EURO Cup Quarter Final

Benfica 2 - 0 Aberystwyth

It was a shame that we did not get more out of this match. I thought my players played well and we kept Benfica away from scoring in the first half. Unfortunately, Benfica found sharpness in the second half.

Aberystwyth 1 – 3 Benfica

When Benfica scored after only four minutes I knew it was over. Sandara equalised from a free kick but as in the first match, Benfica was more effective in front of goal. Our adventure ends here and I can only be extremely proud of this achievement. We will hopefully be back next year.

Aberystwyth

Season 2021/22

Transfers

Emilsson, Basit, Bruhn and Pedersen are all players for the future but Segerström is one of my most skilful players and he had a great season. All five are Scandinavian players by the way and at the moment I have 11 Scandinavians in my squad.

Welsh Premier League

Port Talbot was actually quite close to us with a few games to go but we made it and won the championship once again.

Europe

Amazing season in Europe. First we smashed Wisla totally with a 9-0 victory in Wales before four points against Zenit were enough to a third place in our Champions Cup group. Benfica ended our adventure in the EURO Cup quarter final after we sensationally have beaten Rangers and Fenerbahce.

Profiles of the season

Derek Lawless – With 25 goals and 26 assists this have to be the best season by a Aberystwyth player I have seen. I hope that I can extend his contract but I have my worries.

Hendrik Scholz – With 12 goals in Europe he made a huge impact in his first season as a Aberystwyth player.

Hans Kahric – Important player in my defence. Would be excellent if I could extend his contract.

Marcus Segerström – Skilful player who will be here to at least 2026.

Jesper Wiklund – Shame that he is going to Standard as he had a fantastic season. He was great in Europe and his statistics for the season speaks for itself.

Finances

Prize money: £8.234.210

Balance: £9.262.086

So far our best season when it comes to prize money. We have just used another £3.800.000 for youth facilities improvements but our balance is still looking great.

July - August 2022

Champions Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Linfield 0 – 4 Aberystwyth

Great game by Kristian Pulis who got a hattrick and an assist. Grega Jancar is a new left winger and he came on as a sub and scored on his debut.

Aberystwyth 4 - 0 Linfield

No problems in the second leg, although I used my reserve players. It was great to see my new 18 year old forward Louis Conlon score two goals.

Champions Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Aberystwyth 3 - 1 Qarabag Agdam

Never heard of this team from Azerbaijan and I did not expect them to be any challenge. They were not, though they actually got a good result. We should have won this match with a lot bigger margin.

Qarabag Agdam 2 - 2 Aberystwyth

So close to disaster. When Qarabag Agdam went 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go we were out. Thankfully, Scholz was very fast to score and in the last minutes of the match Humphries secured our spot in the playoffs with a goal from a set piece.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 2 - 1 BATE

I feared the worst when Carl John got booked two times for diving inside six minutes and BATE equalized straight after John was sent off. We did well to win the match 2-1 anyway but John’s red card could very well cost us…

BATE 0 - 6 Aberystwyth

I had my worries when I thought about the last time we were in Borisov when we lost 4-1. Thankfully, my team was magical this time. BATE was destroyed by my cynical team. We had a great start and ended up winning 6-0. Unfortunately, Skjerve, who scored two goals, got injured and is out for five months. Arsenal, Schalke and Palermo are waiting in the group stage.

September - October 2022

Champions Cup Group F

Schalke 2 - 0 Aberystwyth

I was satisfied with how we played but disappointed with the fact that we missed a few great chances. We were out of luck and Schalke won the game.

Aberystwyth 0 - 2 Arsenal

This is a fantastic Arsenal side and I could not complain about losing 2-0.

Aberystwyth 1 - 0 Palermo

Our second victory in the Champions Cup! Palermo helped us a lot with their sending off just before half time. We dominated the second half and with 15 minutes to go, the 19 year old Dane David Basit scored the winning goal. We are fourth in the group with three points, the same as Schalke and Palermo. Points in our away game against Palermo and our home game against Schalke could be crucial.

November - December 2022

Champions Cup Group F

Palermo 4 – 0 Aberystwyth

With 0-0 at half time I believed we could get something out of this match but the Italians were just much better after the break and their forward Gandola killed us.

Aberystwyth 1 - 1 Schalke

Very disappointing that Schalke should equalise with 15 minutes to go. Schalke got a defender sent off after only five minutes and when Coughlan brought us in front just before the break we should have secured the three points. But Schalke got a point, a point which can be very vital for them as we now both are on four points. We had to get something out of our extremely difficult away game against Arsenal while Schalke have to lose to Palermo at home.

Arsenal 2 - 2 Aberystwyth

Absolutely amazing result here. We took our chances and defended well which gave one point at Emirates Stadium. Unfortunately, it was not enough to get the third place as Schalke played 2-2 after trailing 2-1 with 15 minutes to go. Shame.

Table

Aberystwyth

Season 2022/23

Transfers

Louis Conlon, Richard Coughlan, Milinko Lazovic, Karel Blazek, Björn Melander were great signings and I am sure they will play a part in our next season. Unfortunately, I had to let go of two of my best players ever in this club. Haris Kahric and Derek Lawless did not want to extend their contracts, so just before the winter transfer window I offered them to other clubs to get some money out of them. Shame they are gone but I think I have brought in some good replacements. Pavlovic is going to PSV on a free transfer but I have been out spending £1.400.000 on Max Wilshere from Aston Villa. He should be good enough to fill the space Pavlovic leaves.

Welsh Premier League

Satisfying to go through the league without one single defeat.

Europe

We had a few problems in the qualification but I thought five points in the group stage were a great performance. We had a great chance to finish third but were a bit unlucky.

Profiles of the season

Louis Conlon – As a 19 year old forward/wing, Conlon had a great debut season with 17 goals. I hope he can develop further more.

Hendrik Scholz – Top goal scorer with 22 goals. Key player who plays the important matches.

Lennart Pedersen – Good defender who is fantastic in the air.

Finances

Prize money: £7.802.669

Balance: £12.019.118

Our balance is just growing and growing thanks to our performances in Europe. It was a great amount of prize money when you take into account that we only played European football before Christmas. Again, again, we have used some millions to improve our training facilities.

July - August 2023

Aberystwyth 5 – 0 Zeta

Zeta from Montenegro should not be any challenge and defender Lennart Pedersen had a great game as we ran them over.

Zeta 1 – 2 Aberystwyth

It was 11 new players in my line-up for this match and we finished the job with a win though Zeta actually was the best team.

Sheriff 2 - 4 Aberystwyth

Though we gave away too many chances and it was a little bit disappointing to concede two goals I was satisfied with the result. A 4-2 victory away from home should be enough to go through.

Aberystwyth 4 - 0 Sheriff

I thought we were a bit disappointing in the first match but this time we were superior. Sheriff’s one shot came after 88 minutes and the performances from my defenders were pleasing.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 2 - 0 Basel

We ended with a great result but it took a long time for my players to find the back of the net. It was frustrating to see my players miss so many chances but in the last minutes of the match Pedersen scored after a corner before Jancar finished a counter attack by rounding the keeper and scoring to 2-0.

Basel 0 - 2 Aberystwyth

This was a convincing performance from my players. We fully deserved our 2-0 win and Basel did not have a lot to say. We are through and for the first time we are amongst the third seeds and we will be up against Manchester United, Napoli, Partizan. A fine draw as we could get four points against Partizan who we won over two times back in 2017.

September - October 2023

Champions Cup Group G

Aberystwyth 1 - 0 Manchester United

What a result! What a victory! Hendrik Scholz, who is fantastic for me in Europe, brought us in front early on. United had their chances to equalise but they were not sharp enough. We got an amazing start to the group stage with a win over England’s second best team.

Napoli 2 – 1 Aberystwyth

It is no shame to lose 2-1 in Italy against Napoli. I was satisfied and thought my players played very well.

Partizan 0 – 5 Aberystwyth

After a totally superior performance from my players, Partizan got their third 5-0 defeat in three games. Richard Coughlan ran the show with three goals and an assist. We are now number two in the group with same number of points as Napoli and United.

Bit better this time, definitely deserved the 3rd.

Yeah, it was a shame!

Again, blitzing your way through the early stages, with only 3 goals conceded in 6 games, just need that extra win or 2 in the group stages. It's all impressive work though.

Thanks! And what a start to the group stage, huh? ;)

November 2023

Champions Cup Group G

Aberystwyth 2 – 0 Partizan

I expected a win against this Partizan team who was very low on confidence. We got a comfortable win and were number one in the group!

Manchester United 1 – 1 Aberystwyth

Unbelievable that we got one point here! We have now got four points against the giants Manchester United. United was the far better team and we very lucky to get one point. We are still number one with only our home game against Napoli left. A draw will secure a ticket to the next round of the Champions Cup.

Table

December 2023

Champions Cup Group G

Aberystwyth 1 – 1 Napoli

I can not believe it. I thought it was over when Napoli scored after only 65 seconds but Scholz would equalise soon on one of our few chances. Napoli did not manage to put on a heavy pressure and my players defended very well. It is hard to believe that we have ended on a second place in this group with 11 points. We have been lucky, especially against United at Old Trafford, but my players have also been amazing. Aberystwyth is through to the first knockout round where Juventus is waiting.

Table

February – Marts 2024

Champions Cup 1st Knockout Round

Aberystwyth 2 - 3 Juventus

I did not have any expectations of a win against Italy’s number one and I thought 2-3 was a good result. Juventus scored two times from corners which was frustrating. We got a glimmer of hope before the second leg when Juventus keeper Begovic scored an own goal in the very last seconds of the match.

Juventus 2 - 1 Aberystwyth

We got a fantastic start but from our opening goal Juventus bombarded our goal with shots and they deserved to win. But to lose only 5-3 on aggregate against this amazing Juventus side is very, very satisfying. Fantastic season in Europe.

Aberystwyth

Season 2023/24

Transfers

Fergal Healy, who in three seasons scored 37 goals and made 52 assists for this club, is back! After three seasons in Hibernian I signed with him for the second time. All the others are young players who I have very high hopes about. Ryan Blackwell is only 18 years old and he could be a star for this club. He has to when I have signed him for £2.200.000!

Welsh Premier League

Bala ended our unbeaten run of 52 matches the 30th December with a 1-0 win which was a bit of a shame. But no problems retaining the title.

Europe

Outstanding season in Europe. 11 points in a group containing Manchester United and Napoli were more than we could have dreamt of. We won the second place after only one defeat. Juventus ended our adventure beating us 5-3 on aggregate in first knockout round but I could only be extremely proud of my players’ achievement.

Profiles of the season

Grega Jancar – A great season from left winger Jancar that makes it easier to forget Lawless.

Hendrik Scholz – With nine goals in Europe, Scholz had another fantastic season. Key player in our biggest games.

Karel Blazek – A very stable player on the right side of my defence.

Kimmo Mattila – With a average rating of 7.64 in Europe, Mattila was another great player for me in the Champions Cup this year. Unfortunately, he will not extend his contract and he is off before long.

Louis Conlon – Conlon is a wanted player but I will hold on to him as he could develop into something very good.

Finances

Prize money: £11.926.813

Balance: £14.770.836

I have used £3.700.000 (Max Wilshere buy included) on new players and £3.800.000 on youth facilities, so I am very satisfied with how high our balance is. It is of course primarily because of our fantastic Champions Cup run. Clear record this year when it comes to prize money.

July - August 2024

KR 0 – 6 Aberystwyth

KR from Iceland should never be any challenge and we did not have any problems running them over.

Aberystwyth 4 - 0 KR

I made 11 changes in my line-up and it was still no problem to beat KR. 10-0 on aggregate.

RB Salzburg 2 – 5 Aberystwyth

Salzbrug was quite a good team to get at this stage and you could have your worries. But my players did very well and a 5-2 win in Austria should be enough to go through.

Aberystwyth 0 - 1 RB Salzburg

Hard to believe that we did not win this match. Even harder to believe that we did not score. But we just were not sharp enough in front of goal. A problem that needed to be sorted out.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 2 - 0 APOEL

We did not have one of our best games but we got a win and a clean sheet which should be enough to go through.

APOEL 1 - 2 Aberystwyth

A more even match ended with a victory after great efficiency in front of goal from my players. We are through to the group stage where we will be up against Manchester United (once again), Milan and Rapid Bucharest. We should be available to get six points against the latter but I can not expect anything against United and Milan. But then again, I could not last year either.

September - October 2024

Champions Cup Group E

Aberystwyth 1 - 3 Milan

My defence could not cope with Milan forward Cioppa. He was unfortunately having a fantastic day and we did not get the best of starts in the Champions Cup group stage, though I was happy to see my players keep fighting and grapping a goal in the end.

Manchester United 3 – 0 Aberystwyth

With last season’s four points against United in mind I had a few hopes of another sensation but they totally dominated us and I could only be satisfied with the fact that they did not get a bigger win.

Rapid Bucharest 0 – 2 Aberystwyth

With a win here I would be very hopeful of a third place. My players did not disappoint me and we were the better team. Rapid had nothing to say and we scored on our chances expect for the penalty in extra time. Three points in the bag.

November – December 2024

Champions Cup Group E

Aberystwyth 2 – 2 Rapid Bucharest

As you can see on the match stats, we should have won this game. It was a shock to get behind 2-0 but my players showed great spirit by scoring two times in the very end of the match after having hit the woodwork two times and missed several chances. Though I expected a victory and was a little bit disappointed, this result should be enough to secure the third place.

Milan 4 – 1 Aberystwyth

Once again, we could not cope with Milan’s Cioppa. This was his second hattrick against us. We now only needed Milan to get at least a point against Rapid in the last group game and the third place would be ours.

Aberystwyth 0 – 1 Manchester United

Fine result and a good performance as United did not have any clear cut chances. Now, we looked to Bucuresti to see if Rapid had managed to get the necessary win. They had not but they went close. Milan equalised their 1-0 lead with 20 minutes to win a point and we were very happy with that. We have maybe got the worst draw you could imagine in the EURO Cup first knockout round: We will be up against Inter who finished second in the Serie A last season.

Table

February 2025

EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round

Aberystwyth 0 - 0 Inter

With Inter only a little bit better than us I could only be satisfied with the performances of my players. It was also a fine result and if we could snatch an away goal I believed we could make it to the next round.

Inter 1 – 3 Aberystwyth

I could not believe my own eyes – stunning result! An away goal would do well for us and when Svensson scored after only five minutes I really believed we could go through. Inter did not create many big scoring chances but with 10 minutes to go they got the equaliser to create a very nervous and tense end of the game. My players did very well and with two goals on counter attacks in stoppage time we managed to win 3-1 at Giuseppe Meazza. Absolutely unbelievable.

Marts 2025

EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round

Aberystwyth 2 - 1 Schalke

Milinko Lazovic had a fantastic game and was my main man in this great victory. It was an even game but we were more effective in front of goal which was very satisfying. I was full of believe before the second leg.

Schalke e3 – 1 Aberystwyth

Entertaining match where we had to say that Schalke in the end was the deserved winner. Lars Hansen missed a few one on ones with Schalkes keeper but unfortunately he was not sharp on the night but we just had to say that Schalke was the more productive team.

Aberystwyth

Season 2024/25

Transfers

I had too many centre defenders why I thought it was perfect to sell Max Wilshere for £1.500.000 to Portsmouth. I could not extend Hendrik Scholz’ contract why I decided to sell him. He had been a great player for us and was worth the £600.000 Premier League club Derby signed him for. Alex Nicholson has returned to the club and then, as always, I have signed some young Scandinavians.

Welsh Premier League

Fine season. I am rotating a lot and I think that is why we lost points in seven games. I am giving playing time to my younger players.

Europe

The highlight was to win at Giuseppe Meazza and send Inter out of the EURO Cup. I could not complain about this year’s performance in Europe.

Profiles of the season

Lars Hansen – A very quick forward/wing. Has only played as a forward 14 times why the 18 goals is an impressive record. He did also score 24 goals for my reserve team.

Ryan Blackwell – Fine forward with goals in his feet. I hope he keeps developing.

Björn Melander – A very stable full back. Top player for me.

Eybor Gudjónsson – A quick full back who is difficult to get past.

David Basit – Clever player with a fantastic work rate on the midfield.

Markus Segerström – Went to Celtic after Christmas but was great for me before that. With three goals and three assists he was good in Europe.

Finances

Prize money: £7.965.934

Balance: £14.042.575

We have just used £9.000.000 on facilities improvements. Our prize money was not as high as last season as we did not qualifier to Champions Cup knockout round. I am very satisfied with our finances though.

July - August 2025

Aberystwyth 5 – 2 Lech

I was not satisfied with the fact that we conceded two goals but 5-2 should be enough to go through.

Lech 1 – 2 Aberystwyth

I made a lot of changes for the second leg but we took a comfortable 2-1 win and got through.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 5 - 0 Videoton

Videoton from Hungary should not be any challenge for my boys and with a 5-0 victory we were as good as through to the group stage.

Videoton 2 - 2 Aberystwyth

Not a great performance but we got what we needed. We are through to the group stage where I think we have got a fantastic draw. Atlético Madrid, Zenit and Omonoia are waiting and I am eyeing a second place.

Archived