Game feels fixed thread!

i cant help but think that certain things in the game purposely happen. and i hate it when it feels like momentum plays a part of the game. sure, momentum is a massive key in real life, but this cannot be recreated in a video game. i dont see how i can do a team talk at half time and make my players want to play better. does it boost their stats? decrease the opposition? i wonder.

then theres also other things, say like my striker who has 17 finishing has 1 shot out of 7 on target yet a striker with 10 finishing in the same game gets 2 goals from 4 shots or something. i hate these moments, its like events are completely random as well.

then if i score, and its a winner, and i play defensively in a 5 at the back formation with no strikers (chelsea football), then why do i constantly see players out of position? is the game purposely doing this making my players not understand basic logic?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

then theres also other things, say like my striker who has 17 finishing has 1 shot out of 7 on target yet a striker with 10 finishing in the same game gets 2 goals from 4 shots or something. i hate these moments, its like events are completely random as well.

Not every shot is equal. It's not just how far out and how much angle, it's also a question of how much time he has to take the shot, where defenders are positioned, etcetera. If your defensive line gets broken because you're pressing too much, you make it very easy for the opposition to score against you. On the contrary, if you're playing against a team with a much lower reputation, odds are their defensive line is right back against their goal and they'll be blocking everything.

Also, finishing is not the only factor which affects a goal. It's not random, it's not conspiracy, it's just a combination of inputs - tactical settings, attributes, motivation/morale, and they translate into an outcome on the pitch that doesn't always seem to make sense, although there are always reasons, and you can't affect every individual event, you can change the patterns.

I do remember a user running a test a few years ago on a previous version of FM. 5 games to go and he led the league by 1 point. He ran it 20-3- times or so, half the time winning all the remaining games, and half the time losing. When he won his last five, the AI team in second place averaged 12 points from its remaining 5 games. When he lost them, the AI team averaged 6 points.

This is from memory, so the numbers may be slightly off, but I do recall that it was a significant enough difference to raise a few eyebrows.

Of course it was a small sample, and nobody else wanted to do the boring work of testing the results, so who knows..

I know sometimes the game makes you think "Oh. come on!" But if you play a lot then these things happen. I do think that if you start winning your league then another team will improve to challange you. For example in my save as Liverpool I won back to back titles and the following season Chelsea became an unstoppable force winning the league with 99 pts. They were one point ahead of me on final match day and guess who I had to play? Right Chelsea away. I just could not beat them. They also knocked me out of both domestic cups and I narrowly avoided meeting them in the Champions League final. The next season Chelsea finished 5th and Arsenal became the team to beat.

One thing that does make me laugh is that the bookies always make Man City favourites to win the league.

Archived