The Golden1807 Journey

Golden1807

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014/15

Port Vale

port-vale-fc-badge.jpg

An excellent season which surpassed all my expectations. We were in and out of the playoffs all season but just fell short in the end. Regardless of this great season however, I felt it was time to leave because I didn't want to get to comfortable with a certain team. I was predicted 19th for this season and for the second season was predicted 6th so that shows the progress I made there.

So I resigned at the end of the season and that turned out to be a massive gamble because I still had a Regional reputation and was being dismissed for every job I declared interest in, from the championship to random European leagues. I was beginning to think I'd dropped a clanger when out of nowhere I was approached by Uruguay. It seems way too early for an international job but it doesn't look like there'll be much else on offer and it gives me a good chance to improve my reputation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season   |  Team                |  League                       |  Country       | League Position   |               Notes              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12  |  Hereford United     | League Two                    |  England       |       20th        |                  N/A             |

| 2012/13  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       12th        |                 N/A              |
| 2013/14  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       4th         |       Promoted via Playoffs      |
| 2014/15  |  Port Vale           | League One                    |  England       |        8th        |                 N/A              |

2015-18

Uruguay

Uruguay_football_association.png

2015-17 South American World Cup Qualifiers

Group Table

A straight-forward qualification process with some fantastic results. Beating Argentina 7-1 and 4-1 were particular highlights and I qualified with a bit to spare.

2018 World Cup

Group Stage:

Uruguay 4-0 Senegal

Uruguay 1-0 England

Uruguay 2-1 S.Korea

This was a lot easier than I thought and gave me a lot of hope going into the knockout rounds.

Second Round: Uruguay 2-0 Tunisia

I was always confident going into this one and it was just a case of getting through with no injuries and suspensions.

Quarter Final: Uruguay 2-2 Ghana (Ghana win 3-2 on pens)

The draw was really starting to open up for me and I could see a clear route to the final after Ghana beat Brazil on pens. It wasn't to be however, after Ghana twice came from behind and went on to win on pens for the second game in a row. Bitter disappointment given how the draw turned out to be quite favourable and I thought we might go on to win it.

Star Player:

Darwin Vidal - Deserves a mention after 4 World Cup goals from right wing. He is a regen and looks like he could be a star in the future.

Future:

I never expected to win the World Cup this time around but we gave it a real good go and came so close. My main aim when taking this job was just to enhance my reputation which managing in a World Cup has done as I now have a 'national' reputation. This will open a lot more doors for club management so hopefully I can continue by rise. I am undecided whether or not to stick with Uruguay on top of a club job because it has been fun and I feel I can have a good run at the Copa America which I want to win.

| Season   |  Team                |  League/Tournament            |  Country       | League Position   |               Notes              |
| 2011/12  |  Hereford United     | League Two                    |  England       |       20th        |                  N/A             |

| 2012/13  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       12th        |                 N/A              |
| 2013/14  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       4th         |       Promoted via Playoffs      |
| 2014/15  |  Port Vale           | League One                    |  England       |        8th        |                 N/A              |

| 2015/17  |  Uruguay             | WC Quals                      |  N/A           |        2nd        |                Qualified         |
|   2018   |  Uruguay             | 2018 World Cup                |  N/A           |        N/A        |            Quarter Finals        |

Nottingham Forest

Nottingham_Forest_logo.gif

Nickname: The Reds

Stadium: The City Ground

Capacity: 30,576

I accepted the job offer from Forest with them lying in 10th place after a miserable relegation from the Championship. With a media prediction of 3rd and a healthy looking bank balance it looks like a good move though the stuttering start will have to be addressed and I'll have to bring in my own players.

First match up is a tough away fixture and I already have an injury crisis with not one single fit centre back. Heavens to betsy

My first return to Port Vale since my departure. In my head I was well received with the fans acknowledging the job I done there dragging them from League Two. With them currently sitting in 2nd in League One it seems the foundations I built have really pushed them on. Add to that a free signing I made has recently been sold for £7m so that has boosted their struggling finances massively.

JPT Quarter Final

A quick note on my Uruguay progress. This was taken a couple of months back and we have since dropped behind France into 2nd but it shows the progress I have made with them.

World Rankings

Bring on Copa America 2019!

Favourable draw there.

I've never really been open to the idea of managing a club and country at the same time but I'm enjoying it. It brings something different to the game and when I finally leave Uruguay it will be for another international job, most likely a different continent.

2018/19

Nottingham Forest

League Table

Position: 2nd (predicted 3rd, 10th when I took over)

A fantastic season once I got to grips with my team. I had a hit and miss start with a horrific injury list which was further worsened when my two best midfielders were struck down with 5 month injuries on my first game. I brought in a few wingers on frees as I was very short in that area. I also brought in Henk Baum who proved to be a great signing. I'm delighted to clinch promotion straight away because I didn't want to linger in this division for too long especially with bigger teams like QPR coming down and making it harder to get out.

My league record with Forest since taking over in October was:

Played: 23

Won: 19

Drawn: 9

Lost: 5

I never really expected to get these up straight away, after their bad start and the team weakened with long term injuries I was just eyeing up the summer but I've reached the Championship now and hope to solidify my position within that league next season. A special mention must go to Bienvenu Ndongala who managed 34 in 44 in the league and single-handedly fired us up.

| Season   |  Team                |  League/Tournament            |  Country       | League Position   |               Notes              |

| 2015/17  |  Uruguay             | WC Quals                      |  N/A           |        2nd        |                Qualified         |
|   2018   |  Uruguay             | 2018 World Cup                |  N/A           |        N/A        |            Quarter Finals        |

| 2018/19  |  N.Forest            | League One                    |  England       |        2nd        |               Promoted           |

2019 Copa America

Uruguay

Uruguay_football_association.png

My squad this time around features a lot of regen players who I think could make a big impact at this tournament. I still have a few players on the wrong side of 30 in the squad but this will most likely be their last outing on a stage like this (except for Cavani who I am determined to see get 100 international goals - currently 85)

These are some of the regens I have bled into the squad, not all are starters but most are:

Horacio Straconi

Facundo Alvarez

Gaston Biscayzacu

Alvaro Gonzalez

Diego Gonzalez

Luis Romero

Darwin Vidal

Mateo Welker

Luis Rodero

Group Stage:

Uruguay 0-0 Peru

I kicked off the tournament with what looked like an easy win, given that they didn't put up much of a fight during the WC qualifiers (I won 3-0 and 0-2). I battered them with 20 shots but somehow didn't manage to break the deadlock.

Uruguay 1-1 Colombia

62% possession and 14 shots to their 4 suggests I should have walked this, especially after their second minute red card but it was an own goal that spared my blushes as I stumbled to another draw.

With both Colombia and Peru boosting their goal differences with big wins of Trinidad & Tobago I went into the final game needing either a convincing win or for Peru v Columbia to have a winner.

Uruguay 1-0 Trinidad & Tobago

I had 24 shots in this match to their 3 and somehow I only came out with a 1-0 win. I was sweating all the way through this with Columbia only 2-1 up v Peru knowing that could change easily and my 1-0 deficit wouldn't be enough. I managed to sneak through though courtesy of Cristian Fernandez's goal and have booked my place in the business end of Copa America.

Knockout Stages:

Quarter Final:

Uruguay 1-0 Mexico

An even contest separated by a second half Darwin Vidal goal. It was by no means a comfortable performance as Mexico had their chances and add to that Cristian Fernandez going from hero to zero with a red card forcing a shuffle in tactics. For the second competition in a row Brazil have managed to fall early with me lying in wait in the next round so my path is opening up.

Semi Final:

Uruguay 1-0 Chile

Next up were the hosts Chile in a match where I again dominated in terms of chances but could manage the one goal. An old head popped up in the form of Luis Suarez to grab what turned out to be the winner. The end of the game was made easier after an erratic 5 minutes from Jaime Vargas saw him booked twice and Chile reduced to 10 men.

Final:

Uruguay 2-0 Colombia

Prior to this I was sat with my Venezuela shirt on hoping for a shock result in their semi with Colombia but it wasn't to be and for the second time this tournament I was facing the Colombians. 16 shots to my 13 shows it was a very tight affair and could easily have been taken to extra time. It was Cavani who put me ahead with his first goal before half time and with Colombia being reduced to ten men right after the restart the second half was a lot more relaxing. Rising star Darwin Vidal sealed it 5 minutes into stoppage time to give me my first major trophy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------WINNERS-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I managed to win the Copa America without bumping Brazil or Argentina but I did have to overcome the hosts. After the way I stumbled through the group stage I couldn't see me going on to win it but my form picked up and I find myself with a Copa America medal to my name. I think I'm going to stick with Uruguay until after the next World Cup because I feel I have some good young players coming through. Plus I've not long taken over at N. Forest and don't think it's the right time to be starting fresh with a new international team with having to get to know players while I'm still doing that at Forest.

| 2018/19  |  N.Forest            | League One                    |  England       |        2nd        |               Promoted           |

|   2019   |  Uruguay             | 2019 Copa America             |  N/A           |        N/A        |               Winners            |

Season Preview 2019/20

Nottingham Forest

Media Prediction: 24th

Transfer budget: £1m

Wage budget: £35k

The transfer budget looks prosperous but I've had to shift all that onto the wage budget because the current wage total was over £50k. Because of this I've had to feed off scraps and look for bargains on a free. Even that hasn't been easy because I still haven't been left with a lot of wages to play with. The reason it's so high is because there are average players here on high wages that I can't get rid of and can't get to agree to a cut.

My squad looks frighteningly average in this division and I can see it being a struggle after what has been an underwhelming summer on the transfer front. I'd be delighted to stay up, although I know anything can happen in this division. I've had a host of players reject a loan move here although I received two from Lazio after an affiliation was made.

On a side note, Port Vale were promoted via the play-offs so I can continue my rivalry with them as well as the big one with Derby.

Board Expectations:

To stay clear of relegation.

Hopefully I can achieve this because I don't want to become a yo-yo club.

I will update on my transfer business when it comes to an end as I'm still hoping to bring in somebody worth shouting about.

NottmForestvRotherhamInformation_Overview.png

Avoided an early slip up in the cup with a last-gasp winner from one of my youngsters. I took a risk giving a few fringe players ago but I'm happy with the win, if anything just to make sure morale doesn't drop early on in what is going to be a tough season.

League Cup 2nd Round

WolvesvNottmForestInformation_Overview-2.png

Miserable exit from the cup but I expected it here. Wolves have just come down from the Prem and I had to rest a lot of players.

Unfortunately I got the message that one of my bigger prospects Sam Holden has decided to run down his contract and leave at the end of the season. I'd love to convince him to stay but he won't even negotiate.

ShaunPearceNews_Inbox-3.png

I rejected the Blackburn offer after the week delay because I thought if I was going to manage in the championship it would be with Forest because I was having a good season. Then this offer came in from Larisa. Obviously not a huge team and Greece wasn't exactly on my list of leagues I want to win but it would be something different. Don't know what to do but I'm seriously considering taking this one.

Half way update:

npowerChampionshipOverview_Stages.png

Unbelievable start to the season and one I really didn't see coming. This has set me up for a real push for promotion in the second half of the season which would be the stuff of dreams. I'm delighted with this because it shows I made the right decision in rejecting Blackburn's offer. There is still a lot of dead weight at the club that needs shifting though.

FA Cup 3rd Round draw: Everton v Forest - bit of a stinker but one we will give our best in.

Looks like my centre defender could be off.

Sam Holden

This is the player who announced he would run down his contract and leave in the summer. I wasn't even aware of this release clause but it looks like he's getting a Premier League move. How long he is there for I have no idea.

Not great timing anyway.

The Run In

With six games to go I have comfortably secured a playoff place and lie 7 points behind an automatic promotion place.

npowerChampionshipOverview_Stages-2.png

Six remaining games:

NottinghamForestFixtures_Fixtures.png

A couple of tricky games left in there especially the away match at Stoke but with playoffs now secured we have nothing to lose. I'd love to somehow snatch an automatic place to avoid the heartbreak of a playoff loss but it will be an almighty task. I'm also delighted with how Henry has turned out since joining, back-to-back hatricks destroyed Boro and Cardiff.

Archived