Crazy Canuck on Tour: The Homecoming

rancer890

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a crazy number of cards! I don't think I've ever seen something like that.

Me neither. Our tactic does mean we get out of position sometimes so we make some mistimed tackles in the end and we get carded, but nothing this ridiculous. We're not a dirty team and I don't tell my players to tackle hard.

Or maybe my players just have a good hockey mentality. :D

Bit much marauding I see.

Well I guess we're true to our nickname. :D

2022 World Cup - Hosts: Qatar

fifa_world_cup_trophy.jpg

Notable Absentees:

• CAF - Cameroon (2018 World Cup Finalists),
  • AFC/OFC - N/A
  • UEFA - Spain
  • CONCACAF - Canada (Didn't even make it to the Hex ffs)
  • CONMEBOL - N/A

Group Stage

A - Algeria, Uruguay, N. Ireland, Qatar

B - Germany, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Ivory Coast

C - Israel, Japan, England (drew Japan and Morocco, lost to Israel), Morocco

D - Argentina, Russia, USA, South Korea

E - France, Iran, Belgium, Senegal

F - Mexico, Netherlands, Romania, Peru

G - Italy, Serbia, Colombia, Egypt

H - Brazil, Portugal, Australia, Jamaica

Second Round

Czech Republic (p) 3-3 Algeria

Uruguay 2-3 (e) Germany

Russia (e) 3-1 Israel

Argentina (p) 1-1 Japan

France 1-2 Netherlands

Mexico 1-0 Iran

Italy 1-0 Portugal

Serbia 1-0 Brazil

Quarter-Final

Czech Republic 1-0 Argentina

Germany (e) 1-0 Russia

Netherlands (e) 1-0 Serbia

Mexico (e) 1-0 Italy

Semi-Final

Czech Republic 2-0 Mexico

Germany 3-0 Netherlands

Third Place Playoff

Netherlands 1-0 Mexico

Final

Czech Republic 0-2 Germany

-----

Awards

Best Goalkeeper - Manuel Neuer (Germany/Bayern)

Golden Ball - 1st: Emmanuel Gonzalez (Argentina/Fiorentina), 2nd: Luc Castaignos (Netherlands/HSV), 3rd: Anibal Pio (Argentina/Marseille)

Golden Shoe - 1st: Baghdad Bounedjah (Algeria/Le Mans), 2nd: Svyatoslav Vasyliv (Russia/Deportivo), 3rd: Emmanuel Gonzalez (Argentina/Fiorentina)

Best Young Player - Kevin Melaard (Netherlands/Ajax)

2022 World Cup Dream Team

October 25, 2022

BREAKING NEWS: TORONTO FC HAVE BEEN RELEGATED FROM MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER

200px-Toronto_FC_Logo.svg.png

TORONTO - Fans of Toronto FC at BMO Field are noticeably frustrated after they earned the distinction of being the first original MLS club to be relegated to the 2nd-tier North American Soccer League (NASL). Toronto's premier soccer team have lost to FC Buffalo, the 2022 NASL Champions, to a 3-2 aggregate scoreline. Having drawn the first leg at the City of Light Soccer Park in Buffalo 1-1, players and fans alike were looking at an advantage at BMO Field back in Toronto where they would have an advantage and win to retain their MLS membership. However, FC Buffalo tallied the first goal in the 48th minute, before TFC tied the game 14 minutes later. Another 1-1 draw meant the game was going to go into extra time, and penalty kicks if necessary. Unfortunately for the Reds, Buffalo scored a goal in the 105th minute and hung on for the 2-1 victory, making history in the process.

It's hard to believe that a big club such as Toronto FC would suffer the fate of becoming the first MLS club to get relegated from the top flight in the history of American soccer, but there's a reason why MLS Cup Championships, and likewise the MLS/NASL playoffs, are played on the pitch. Players and fans were visibly distraught after the final whistle blew, and while the Buffalo players were celebrating the historic achievement, the home team was booed off the pitch.

Afterwards, the manager and the players braved the barrage of questions afterwards about the match.

"We had a really bad season overall," manager Didier Deschamps, who replaced the sacked Ben Olsen in mid-May, told the local media, "there really was no excuse for us to be in this position to be in the MLS relegation playoff in the first place. We had the talent. We had the resources from upper management. A lot of things didn't work out for us and now we're at rock bottom. Relegation is a terrible feeling and I have no words to describe it."

"I really feel bad for the loyal Toronto fans," a solemn captain Michael Ndiovu said, "this city wants to cheer for a winner, but all we gave them was a disappointing season and this loss at home. I firmly believe we are an MLS team, but of course, the results have said we are not. Give Buffalo some credit here. They were huge underdogs since a MLS club haven't been relegated before. They played us tough over the two legs. You don't just get two fluky wins at this stage of the competition."

As a local reporter for the Toronto Sun asked whether his plans for next year would include playing for Toronto FC in the 2nd tier NASL, Ndiovu sidestepped the question, "I don't think it's the right time to discuss something like that. One thing though is that I love playing in Toronto and I love the city. Right now, it really hurts. I'm not thinking about next year right now. What has just happened today hasn't sunk in yet, and the off-season will be very tough on all the players, including myself, as well the coaches, the owners, and the fans."

As for Buffalo, the managers and players couldn't have been more excited. Manager Michel Vork on the victory: "The players and fans are ecstatic about the performance today. As you know, Toronto and Buffalo have a little hockey rivalry, and the fans really got involved in the games and were cheering on us to beat Toronto. Toronto FC are a great team and a class organization from top to bottom. Beating them over two tough legs was no easy task. I thought in the first leg we did a very good job limiting the damage that Toronto could have caused, and we came into this match looking to win, and win we did."

When news spread that FC Edmonton defeated the Markham Marauders in the other Semi-Final, Vork gave his brief scouting report. "The Markham Marauders were the highest scoring team in the league this season, and for FC Edmonton to contain their star players is a testament to the FC Edmonton manager for his strategy and tactics. We may have defeated Toronto FC, but we are not in MLS yet. We have two legs with a very tough FC Edmonton team. We each won one league in the two meetings against each other, so I expect it to a very evenly matched aggregate series. With a spot in MLS next season on the line, both teams will be giving it their all. We can celebrate tonight, but afterwards its back to training and watching video to see how we can play FC Edmonton."

Well, I guess on current form that is what would happen in real life if the MLS/NASL were structured like this. Shame as I have a soft spot for TFC as you know from my FM10 career :(

TFC were midtable a couple seasons before this happened. I would have thought other teams would have been relegated first. Portland was at the bottom the last couple seasons in 2020 and 2021, and they were so close from getting relegated.

Great to see a team finally replace a side in MLS, shame it wasn't you though.

The FC Edmonton playoff clearly showed we weren't ready, which I would say is a good thing. We wouldn't compete in MLS and we need more seasoning in the NASL. We also need to sign youth players and avoid them getting poached. :D

Spain are rather notable absentees.

Shocking how poor they were. They're hosting Euro 2024 so at least they won't be absent from that! At least in person at least. This team lost to the likes of Slovenia and Bulgaria in WCQ, and lost 4-0 to Israel in a friendly.

And Major League Soccer is coming to Buffalo, New York in 2023!!!

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

2022 Season - Markham Marauders - USL-Pro

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures | Promotion Semi Final Leg 1 Semi Final Leg 2 - Overall, a really great season. Once I got into the playoffs, I did want to win it and wasn't going to throw it away even though we definitely weren't ready for the big time MLS. Unfortunately, we tried our best but still got played off the pitch by FC Edmonton, who were defeated by FC Buffalo in the Final in the one of the most expensive game in North America with the amount of money at stake.

North American Open Cup - lost 5-2 to the San Jose Earthquakes in the First Round (we entered from the First Round). Unlucky draw and this was probably a better indicator that we needed some better players to compete.

NASL Cup - lost to America USA in the Second Round, which was the first round we entered. Didn't lose any sleep over this, I wanted to beat them in the league for 3 points, not in a cup competition.

Ontario Cup - defeated Belleville in the Qualifying Round before losing to fellow NASL outfit Serbian White Eagles in the first round proper. I've never done well here and last thing I want is a fixture congestion near the end of the season.

Transfers - Finally released YP2015 Brian Hussein. Hopefully he can stay in football and find a new club eventually.

Squad - A strong starting XI, but not much to show for on the bench. Depth is a problem.

Youth Players:

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - The veteran of the team now, he had a consistent and good season.

Enrico Cavalluzzo (YP 2017) - He tore defenses apart in his first season in the NASL. Won some Canadian caps too.

Niksa Cotic (YP 2018) - He's probably not good enough, and if there's decent youth at his position, he will be released.

Steve Franks (YP 2019) - I think he has at least earned a pro contract. I hope to have a good intake though so I can possibly loan him out for experience.

Carlo Silva (YP 2020) - A solid year from Carlo Silva. It's nice to see him recognized internationally and be capped for Canada.

Ugo Conversano (YP 2021) - Solid year. 3 caps and only 17. Wow.

Other notables:

Sasa McCallum - Solid season from what you might expect from McCallum.

Pedro Lopez - A very good season from Lopez who's young and still improving.

Fernando Di Pietro - If you couldn't think he could have a better year, he just did.

John Cain - He had a good season and he keeps improving so that's good as well. At only 22, he could be the solution at 'keeper for now.

Navin Simon - typical year from him. He made it to the list because he might be a potential Jamaican international!

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

Lots of income from TV revenue and prize money upgrades to the stadium and training facilities

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

2016 Season

2017 Season

2018 Season

2019 Season

2020 Season

2021 Season

2022 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• Now that I think we can compete (if we're at full strength), it's time to see how far we can go. With Toronto FC getting relegated to the NASL, it's a good test for us to see how we manage against a quality opponent like them. You don't stay over 10 years in MLS by mistake. FC Edmonton really beat us easily over 2 legs, and our main weakness was always depth, so hopefully some new youth players can help us in that regard
  • Keep improving those training facilities, because we definitely won't be improving youth ones at this rate....
  • We need youth players that we can sign and not get poached! Anyone is fine, just don't sign with another club if I want you!

Year     Division                    Tier     Position       Attendance                                              Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st              299    Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th              265                                          Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th              308                                                N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th              282                                                N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd              383                               Colonial Cup Winners
2016     Colonial Division 2            6          1st              357                    Promotion, Colonial Cup Winners
2017     Colonial Premier League        5          1st              477                  Promotion, Colonial Cup Finalists
2018     USL Pro East                   4         12th              472                                           Survival
2019     USL Pro East                   4          7th              476                                    Top-half finish
2020     USL Pro East                   4          1st             2438                                          Promotion
2021     USL Pro                        3          1st             2638                                          Promotion
2022     North American Soccer League   2          2nd             3432                                  We made playoffs!

Just one step away now.

We're close, but we're not ready just yet.

Your correct in your Assessment,another season in NASL will probably do you more good as it gives the players more time to develop.

We probably need more than one additional season, but most of the key players are already developed. I just need players who can push the current players so I got different options in case of injury. We had some key injuries over the course of the previous season and we did alright, but we're unfortunately very low on depth. I probably made a mistake only trying to attempt to sign 2 players (and successfully signing one), so I hope I can sign a lot more in the next intake.

Also have to somehow get the core to new long term contracts. I have to make them an 'amazing' offer... :(

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

Markham Marauders - North American Soccer League

2023 Youth Intake

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-9.png

Tyler Ball - a decent midfielder prospect. He can be a squad player eventually.

Erik Fletcher - a decent striker prospect. Hopefully he can play on the first team in the future.

Daniel Grubisic - a solid right back. He'll get his opportunities.

And YP 2023, who has signed with the club, is...

Srecko Jeremic - he has some solid attributes. He needs a bit of work but he will get an opportunity to contribute, possibly as early as this season, depending on how he is in pre-season.

Some players I wanted to sign went to other clubs. I'm too pissed off to really talk about them. It's the one thing that I really hate about this save and could ruin me in the future.

Contracts

• Robert Stillo has signed a new year contract with a base salary of $83,000 a year. He will get a 5% wage increase. He was previously only earning a bit more than $10,000 a year.

Tough beat to FC Edmonton, but as its my hometown, I can't be too sad for you ;) Another season in the NASL will ensure you're truly ready for MLS once you do get there.

Looking forward to seeing you in the MLS soon :D. Will be interesting to see how you do once you reach it. Is there that much of a diffrence in terms of quality? (Forgive my lack of MLS knowledge :o)

Gonna take a little break from updating this. Or a long break I don't know. Kinda got bored by my own rules but I don't want to break them in this save.

A new (or old, depending how you look at it) save has my interest again right now and will be posting it up soon.

I know that feeling, I start to get bored with the youth rules at the start of pretty much every season when I see how much I want to strengthen my team :D Hopefully you'll get the motivation to come back to this some day, it was a good read.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived