Crazy Canuck on Tour: The Homecoming

rancer890

Rancer - This has been a great career so far, well played.

It's also made me want to have another crack at North America but with this edit. The only downside I find in MLS is the lack of relegation, so this would be great.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Markham Marauders Wall of Honour

This is another feature I will introduce now. With the release of my YP2012 and YP2013 youth products, it's time to create a 'Wall of Honour' to give recognition to those players to put on the Marauders shirt and made some very good contributions to the club. Without further ado, here are the inductions of Radford Sinclair and Anthony Baker. They both weren't the most flashiest players, and as we went up the divisions, their roles were diminished to the point I had to loan one of them out, but overall, without them, we wouldn't be in the USL-Pro East since 2018 without them.

=============================================================================================================================

RadfordSinclairYP2012.jpg

Name: Radford Sinclair

Nationality: Jamaican/Canadian

International Career: Capped at Jamaican U20 level

Date of Birth: June 2, 1996

Place of Birth: Markham, Ontario

Position: Striker

Markham Marauders Career Stats:

Year Division Apps Goals Assists MoM Rating
2012 Colonial Amateur League 39 18 7 4 7.06
2013 Colonial Division 2 25 2 2 1 6.60
2014 Colonial Division 2 22 6 7 2 6.92
2015 Colonial Division 2 33 16 12 4 7.22
2016 Colonial Division 2 35 17 13 6 7.36
2017 Colonial Premier League 26 11 6 4 7.15
2018 USL-Pro East 16 0 0 0 6.72
2019 USL-Pro East 0 0 0 0 0.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Totals 196 70 47 21 -.--

Some might argue that the standards of entering this Wall of Honour must not be very high of someone of Radford Sinclair's caliber was inducted. Yes, he did not contribute at the USL-Pro East level, but he's the only one of my 2012 youth intake that managed to get this far with us. Remember, we have terrible facilities back in 2012, and to see how far Sinclair has worked to have a career with the Markham Marauders and play for 7 seasons is remarkable in itself. He was a big catalyst in leading us up the divisions and he will always be known as one of the pioneers in creating the initial history of the Markham Marauders into the club known today.

-----

AnthonyBakerYP2013.jpg

Name: Anthony Baker

Nationality: Canadian

International Career: Uncapped

Date of Birth: February 15, 1997

Place of Birth: Markham, Ontario

Position: Striker

Markham Marauders Career Stats:

Year Division Apps Goals Assists MoM Rating
2013 Colonial Division 2 29 12 3 2 6.94
2014 Colonial Division 2 35 12 6 2 6.86
2015 Colonial Division 2 34 16 7 1 7.05
2016 Colonial Division 2 32 18 6 3 7.26
2017 Colonial Premier League 40 15 11 3 7.01
2018 USL-Pro East 24 5 6 3 6.84
2019 USL-Pro East 22 2 4 0 6.68
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Totals 216 80 43 14 -.--

I always liked calling him 'Mr. Consistency' because when you played him, you knew what to expect of him, which was a solid performance and goals. Before his playing time was reduced to a part-time role, he scored in double digits from 2013 to 2017. As of the beginning of the 2019 season, he was the club's all time leader in appearances, and as of the end of the 2019 season, he's also the club's leader in goals scored. He scored goals at all levels that he participated in, and that's a big accomplishment for him. He wasn't the quickest or strongest, didn't have the best soccer IQ, or even had the best pure skills on the team, but in the end, he got the job done and the results speak for themselves. He has embarked on a new career path, to Gangneung City in the Korean N-League (2nd tier). He happens to be one of three Canadians on the team (one of the other two happens to be a former Markham Marauders youth who I didn't sign!) so hopefully he makes the most of the rest of his career in South Korea.

Rancer - This has been a great career so far, well played.

It's also made me want to have another crack at North America but with this edit. The only downside I find in MLS is the lack of relegation, so this would be great.

Cheers Razer82. :)

Good luck with whatever team in this xml file. It's not automatic relegation, but it's a challenge in itself if you're not an MLS team to get into MLS!

Really love the Wall of Honour idea :) Interesting the there are two players from the Marauders on the same team in the N-League now!

Cheers cerud. I thought of originally having a Hall of Fame, but I don't think Sinclair and Baker were that good to be Hall of Famers, so I settled on a Wall of Honour. :)

Hopefully there won't be anymore inductions for a while...because most of the core I'm not ready to give up on yet. ;)

And there's actually 3 Canadians on that team, which you know after your 1.5 years of management there that there's only a max of 3 foreigners, so it's a bit strange since the entire coaching staff is purely Korean!

In other news, another good high scoring win!

MarkhamMaruadersvLongIslandRoughRidersSplitView.png

Well done in the USL so far! Looks like you can push for the playoffs this year

CHeers cswalk. Hopefully we get playoffs this season. I won't stay much more because every time I say how good we are, we always blow it in the end!

Nice to see a bit of nostalgia of CSE with the Nep thread style YP wall of honour. Anyone from the 2nd tier been promoted to the MLS yet? IIRC in all the updates you did none of them made it past the play-off with the bottom MLS side, should be very tough for you once you eventually get there if the same teams have been in the MLS the whole save!

Nice to see a bit of nostalgia of CSE with the Nep thread style YP wall of honour. Anyone from the 2nd tier been promoted to the MLS yet? IIRC in all the updates you did none of them made it past the play-off with the bottom MLS side, should be very tough for you once you eventually get there if the same teams have been in the MLS the whole save!

Cheers Paul, Nep's Youth Player thread was certainly thought about when I made my Wall of Honour. Pity the thread isn't as active as it used to be.

It'll be a while because we even get into the NASL because they don't have auto promotion and I have to win through playoffs! We still have some holes to fill in the squad though.

Looks like a canny game for the neutral :p.

Well, if we can turn the neutral fans into Markham Marauders, it can only be a good thing! :D

Random question, has Dover moved up at all in your save? Markham promoted in the second year and turned semipro in my save.

Dover have stayed in the bottom half of the New England Premier League throughout my save. If I can pick a feeder club, it could be them, but I don't have that option yet.

Giving your fans value for money! :D

Average ticket price is USD$6.40, so yes, it's very cheap entertainment for the residents of the Markham area. Cheaper than going bowling for a few hours actually when I was in Markham. :D

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

2019 Season - Markham Marauders - USL-Pro East

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - What a fantastic season that went down to the final game of the season, but we pulled through, and we'll be in the USL-Pro division, 3rd tier, next season.

North American Open Cup - A fantastic run in the Open Cup, getting to the 4th round, and facing MLS opposition in a competitive match for the first time, losing 3-2. We played the way I wanted them to play, Portland were just better.

USL Cup - It wasn't my priority and happy we didn't go far here.

Ontario Cup - Tanked the 2nd game.

Transfers - Some tough decisions, but some players just had to be released because of our depth. Sinclair has officially retired from the game, and Baker is in the reserves on his Korean club.

Squad - the squad is starting to have a bit of depth. Hopefully the next batch of youth players will give us more depth.

Youth Players:

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - He's a free agent at the end of next season and I want him to stay with Markham for a while.

Brian Hussein (YP 2015) - He doesn't really have much of a future at the club at this stage.

Enrico Cavalluzzo (YP 2017) - Another great season from Cavalluzzo and he will be a key factor in helping us stay afloat in the USL.

Niksa Cotic (YP 2018) - I was expecting Cotic to make the step forward onto the bench on the senior squad but he didn't do that. He still has a lot of potential though so hopefully he can still become a squad player.

Steve Franks (YP 2019) - He did alright in limited playing time.

Carlo Silva (YP 2020) - A fantastic first season and he will only get better!

Other notables:

Sasa McCallum - A solid job by McCallum, now we just need to hammer out a new 5 year contract soon.

Pedro Lopez - A good season by Lopez.

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We have a bit of money so maybe it's time to invest in facilities, but I want to deal with the contract situations first.

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

2016 Season

2017 Season

2018 Season

2019 Season

2020 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• Survive. 4 relegation spots...
  • Resign Matheson and McCallum to fair multi-year contracts, otherwise one of them might have to be sold on
  • Become BFFs (:D) with Mark Rajkovic so contract negotiations can be easier, since he represents 10 of my players now
  • We need defensive Youth Products. We have midfielders with talent and a good core of strikers. We really need additional help in the backline (Navin Simon keeps getting himself yellow cards, and we need a 'keeper)
  • Training and youth facilities could be better, we still have basic and minimal facilities respectively. $2 million should be enough...
  • Maybe the stadium could be expanded? We already packed over 2400 in the stadium on average every game...

Year     Division                    Tier     Position       Attendance                                              Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st              299    Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th              265                                          Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th              308                                                N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th              282                                                N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd              383                               Colonial Cup Winners
2016     Colonial Division 2            6          1st              357                    Promotion, Colonial Cup Winners
2017     Colonial Premier League        5          1st              477                  Promotion, Colonial Cup Finalists
2018     USL Pro East                   4         12th              472                                           Survival
2019     USL Pro East                   4          7th              476                                    Top-half finish
2020     USL Pro East                   4          1st             2438                                          Promotion

Still looking well rancer :thup:

Out of interest, how's the file coping? No problems with the xml?

Cheers Raware. No crashes after every game (~touch wood~ :p). There's crashes every now and then, but nothing too annoying. It's certainly a lot better than before!

Good luck surviving.

Cheers delta. It will be my hardest challenge but if we can stay healthy, we can do it.

In other news, Junior Coaching has been increased to an exceptional level, and training facilities will be improved, at a cost of $250,000 (lot less than I thought... :D).

Unfortunately, $1.7 million (if we discount the $250k) is still not enough for youth facility improvements... :rolleyes:

Congrats on promotion! Should be a very interesting year in the USL-Pro.

Cheers cswalk. It would definitely be very interesting come the new season, but our key players give us some hope.

Well done on another promotion! Good to see the new stadium being filled out already :)

Yes, I'm very pleased and hopefully as more fans come, there's room to expand!

Congrats on promotion! One step below NASL now?

Yep, it's not an auto-promotion spot though!

great job on promotion, should be interesting to see if you can survive especially with those 4 relegation spots :thup:

I'm interested as well. Staying injury-free will be the key. Like our first season in USL-Pro East, we might need a shift in tactics to play more rigidly, because surely we can't outscore the opposition to win in the 3rd tier this year, right? :D

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

Markham Marauders - USL-Pro

2021 Youth Intake

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-7.png

Our 2021 youth intake has mostly Markham area players, but there's also one from nearby Vaughan, and one from the eastern part of the GTA, in Oshawa.

Victor Hugo Esparza - He's a natural wingback, but he can also play right back, so we'll be training him as a right back. Marking and tackling will be attributes I will be training.

Fabian Baker - A decent midfielder. He's got potential to be decent.

Gilles Bourgault and Daniel Fath were offered youth contracts but they both betrayed. Fath joined a team in the St. Lawrence Soccer League. That's right, he turned down my youth contract offer from a tier 3 side for a team in the f****** 8th tier. Bourgault signed with a team in Louisiana in tier 7.

And the youth product is...

Ugo Conversano - I think he's really good :D. I already signed him to a pro contract because MLS club New England Revolution (!!!) were interested in him after he signed his youth contract.

----

I'm also at a crosswords, as I can't figure out why I can't afford to keep McCallum and Matheson (stupid wage cap), so I can probably only keep one of them beyond this season. It normally wouldn't be a problem, but I'm playing a youth only challenge so it's a bit different....

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

Markham Marauders - USL-Pro

2021 Contract Situations

Robert Stillo has been resigned to a new 5 year contract, until the end of 2025. He will receive $7,750 this season, with annual 5% wage increases.

Cordell Lumley has been resigned to a 5 year contract. He will earn $9,750 in the 2021 season, and have annual 10% wage increases.

Sasa McCallum has finally been resigned to a new 5 year contract. He was set to become a free agent at the end of the season. He will earn a base salary of $67,000 each season. There are no appearance fees or wage increases. Unnamed sources have said that McCallum was promised a 5 figure loyalty bonus, rumoured around $15,000, and his agent received a one time $15,000 payout after successful negotiations.

The remaining first teamers left to resign are Navin Simon and Angelo Carmelo Matheson. Manager Ricky Nakano has confirmed the signings of Stillo, Lumley, and McCallum, but has declined to comment on the progress of negotiations with Simon's and Matheson's agent, who also happen to share the same agent as Stillo and McCallum.

Conversano looks great, another Canadian superstar! :D Love how diverse the second nationalities are! I always love developing those from the lesser nations just to see how they can help out their national teams in the future.

Conversano does look promising. How are your youth facilities looking?

Still minimal...:(

Conversano looks great, another Canadian superstar! :D Love how diverse the second nationalities are! I always love developing those from the lesser nations just to see how they can help out their national teams in the future.

He's probably the most developed player I got in my time with Markham. And Canada is a diverse country, so there's a lot of second nationalities. :D

Still waiting for a Chinese Canadian to sign though. There's only one player who's willing to play for their second nationality than Canada, Navin Simon who wants to play for Jamaica. We had a lot of players called up for the Canadian U20s in their career, but none have made the jump to the senior team yet. They didn't really get capped though, because I kept withdrawing those players.

---

I also resigned Simon and Matheson to 3 year and 5 year contracts respectively. Simon was easy to resign, even though I hate him (too many yellow cards), but Matheson I didn't have extra wages to give him, so I had to bride the agent $30k to freeze his salary. So we now got the core of the team locked up long term, so the future is bright. :)

Congrats on locking up the team long term. SHould really help with your push towards the next level.

They all did really well this past season. :)

YP21 looks very good :). Will be nice to see how he develops.

He's probably the most talented player to come out of Markham, since all year MLS clubs have wanted him!

Oh dear. It looks to be bringing some half decent quality through though.

If they're decent enough prospects we can still develop them into good players. Like the past couple seasons, we put some youth players into first team roles and they excelled. Some of their attributes have improved nicely and they're consistent.

Nice progress you've made here Rancer :thup: And some of your youth candidates look promising

How has this file worked out for you so far? Any bugs or annoying glitches?

Cheers DodgeeD, nice to see you back! We've been a bit lucky with intakes and also more lucky that they actually sign with us!

There's no bugs or glitches so far, although I have avoided using other xml files, because there's a higher chance of crashing.

Another good youth intake! WIsh I had your luck!

We will have spent nearly $2 million on youth setup alone by the end of December of 2021, so it's a bit of luck and a lot of money spent driving us into the red. :D

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

2021 Season - Markham Marauders - USL-Pro

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures | Promotion Semi Final Leg 1 Semi Final Leg 2 | Promotion Final Leg 1 Final Leg 2 - A fantastic season that I was even surprised about. Unfortunately, no auto promotion here so I had to get through 2 rounds of playoffs to get to the 2nd tier NASL!

North American Open Cup - We're happy to have made it to the 3rd round, but sucked that we didn't have our best players for the AC St Louis match.

USL Cup - lost in the 2nd round that we appeared in.

Ontario Cup - annoyed that we lost in the first round we appeared in, but it's not that important...

Transfers - Only released one player who wasn't doing much.

Squad - Lots of potential for a lot of them, so something to look forward to in the future.

Youth Players:

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - Good year from Matheson. Never going to like the wages he's on but as long as the team is successful with him playing a key role, we'll keep him.

Brian Hussein (YP 2015) - Probably released once I get a youth player to replace him in the same position.

Enrico Cavalluzzo (YP 2017) - He's the team MVP, and maybe the league's MVP as well. He was unstoppable.

Niksa Cotic (YP 2018) - He's even behind Franks on the depth chart, so I don't know his future. I could sign him to a senior contract and then loan him out but we probably still won't use him at Markham.

Steve Franks (YP 2019) - He's developed well, but he's blocked at all the positions he can play in by Matheson/Conversano/Brown.

Carlo Silva (YP 2020) - He's becoming a solid CB. Hope he continues to progress!

Ugo Conversano (YP 2021) - he played as CM most of the season, and was very solid in his rookie year. He's certainly someone who can play in the top tier.

Other notables:

Sasa McCallum - Another good season by McCallum. He requested a transfer because we didn't strengthen the squad with any signings (and I wasn't planning to sign any players :p) so he requested a transfer. Nothing to worry though, as he's under contract to 2025...

Pedro Lopez - Another good season from Lopez. He's a reliable left back.

Fernando Di Pietro - He had a very good rookie season, and I was skeptical whether he would go through the infamous 'Sophomore Slump'. He didn't.

John Cain - He's surprisingly developing into a decent 'keeper, as attributes are being improved into double digits. He's not a liability, but we could use a developmental 'keeper soon. He's not going to steal games, but he can succeed with the talent around him.

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We lost a lot of money during the season but made it all up with end of season prize money.

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

2016 Season

2017 Season

2018 Season

2019 Season

2020 Season

2021 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• Have a decent year hopefully. With no automatic relegation spots, I think we can stay in the NASL, but that's definitely dependent on whether we have Cavalluzzo, because without him, we actually didn't win a single game.
  • Are we going up the leagues too fast? I don't know, but I won't complain about winning...
  • We really need a right back. Navin Simon keeps getting yellow cards and red cards (15 yellows, 2 reds, 33 games). He isn't Joey Barton stupid, but still he's stupid sometimes.
  • We're starting to fill out the new stadium already, 2638 out of 2725 seated are filled on average...but not sure if we should use the money right now. For now, I will let the board decide on facilities or stadium expansion.

Year     Division                    Tier     Position       Attendance                                              Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st              299    Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th              265                                          Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th              308                                                N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th              282                                                N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd              383                               Colonial Cup Winners
2016     Colonial Division 2            6          1st              357                    Promotion, Colonial Cup Winners
2017     Colonial Premier League        5          1st              477                  Promotion, Colonial Cup Finalists
2018     USL Pro East                   4         12th              472                                           Survival
2019     USL Pro East                   4          7th              476                                    Top-half finish
2020     USL Pro East                   4          1st             2438                                          Promotion
2021     USL Pro                        3          1st             2638                                          Promotion

Well, the board decided on stadium expansion over facilities:

2021stadiumexpansion.jpg

$1.15 million of that was through a grant, so the actual cost is around $1.15 million for expanding the stadium to about a bit less than 4000 seats (3978 to be exact).

LA Galaxy also offered me the managerial position there. Lots of money but staying at Markham so I said no.

Almost at the top now! Has anyone been relegated from the MLS yet, or is it still the impossible task?

Nice stadium increase as well, always good to know that you'll have a bit more money flowing into the club.

Almost at the top now! Has anyone been relegated from the MLS yet, or is it still the impossible task?

Nice stadium increase as well, always good to know that you'll have a bit more money flowing into the club.

Yup, tier 2 now! Want to establish myself in the NASL first though, because although some players are good in the division (mainly the 5 star players), we need some depth, and we need absolutely everyone at their best to get a good spot. $4 million, or what I got for getting 1st this season, equates to a 16th place finish in the NASL, so I think that's a good target to try and stay over.

Portland had a couple close calls against Orlando City and FC Buffalo, but they managed to win on away goals against Orlando and defeated Buffalo 4-3 on aggregate. Markham might make history down the road if any of the original 20 clubs are worried. ;)

The stadium expansion is nice but we're still near the bottom in terms of attendance (although we were at like 97 or 98% capacity every game!). It's not something I'm too worried about because we had the lowest attendances and lowest player salaries in more of less every division we played in :D but I want to improve facilities soon.

2022 pre-season might be interesting. I want to test myself against the best to see how can we handle the NASL level...

Markham Marauders end of season re-signings:

December 2, 2021:

The Marauders have resigned Fernando Di Pietro to a 5 year contract until the end of 2026. He will earn a pro-rated $14,250 for the rest of the year, and have 10% annual increases. "We felt that there was going to be some interest in Di Pietro because of the two fantastic seasons he had at the club, and we felt comfortable giving him a full-time contract so he can continue to develop with us for at least the next 5 years."

Congrats on promotion! You're now in the league with the club from my hometown, FC Edmonton. Don't know much about that as I live in Vancouver and am a Whitecaps fan, but will be interesting to see you play them :) Haven't seen them pop up on any careers yet.

Congrats on promotion! You're now in the league with the club from my hometown, FC Edmonton. Don't know much about that as I live in Vancouver and am a Whitecaps fan, but will be interesting to see you play them :) Haven't seen them pop up on any careers yet.

Cheers cerud! Yes, FC Edmonton are in the division, and hopefully they'll be exciting games with Markham on top.. :D

Great work getting promoted Rancer :thup:.

Cheers SRL88. :thup:

Congratulations on another promotion!

Give it a couple more seasons at most and you'll be the first side to relegate an MLS team.

Hopefully Razer! A bit worrying though that some players want to move to bigger clubs....

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

Markham Marauders - North American Soccer League

2022 Youth Intake

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-8.png

Darko Halilovic - He has decent MLS potential, which will be good. Managed to sign him to a youth contract. He can start at AML because our other ones aren't that good.

Daniel Shepherd - He didn't sign with us, opting to go for a $40,000+ a year contract with a club in Birmingham, Alabama. He could have replaced Simon. :(

The other annoying part is how the f*** (yes I'm pissed every bloody year that I lose youths) could they have signed him even though he had a hamstring injury after the Youth Candidates vs U18s match. Wouldn't he have failed his physical???

Oh and we're getting $8 million this year in TV revenue! Our money troubles will be a thing of the past!

Should start to get a bit harder now. Good luck, I'm sure you'll defy the odds once again! :)

It's certainly a lot harder. At least there isn't automatic relegation to worry about.

I've never experienced a youth player signing with another club. Then again, I've never had good youth!

A bit annoyed but hopefully all this youth stealing will stop otherwise it goes from a hard challenge to an impossible one....

Almost reached the big time now! Big couple of seasons coming up for you, hopefully you can become a force in the NASL sooner rather than later!

We still need some reinforcements (providing we can get some players on youth contracts and senior contracts) but hopefully you're right!

Wow! Massive TV money coming your way now then.

Good luck for the new season.

Cheers Razer! At least we don't have to worry about finances anymore...

You've come a very long way and congrats on winning promotion.Good luck in the 2nd tier :thup:

Cheers B.W.G. NASL is certainly a different kind of league compared to the ones below!

Very good tv money.

I agree. Now people can see our attacking style of soccer on TV! :D

---

I suffered a bit of FM burnout on this save and was doing a bunch of other things instead of FM for a week, but I'm back now. :)

Archived