Crazy Canuck on Tour: The Homecoming

rancer890

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers AK22!

The majority of my team with second nationalities are actually half-Jamaicans :D, but we have some Serbians too.

Some specific clubs are more likely to have specific second nationalities. For example: the Dayton Dutch Lions can expect to have Americans with Dutch second nationality. Similarly, the Serbian White Eagles will have mostly Canadian/Serbs.

Now if a club for example Chinese Dragons FC existed in the North American leagues, I would totally manage that club. :D

I created a club in Markham in my fantasy Canadian structure that was linked to China (i.e., newgens predominantly had Chinese names)... :-)

Newcastle United style under Kevin Keegan :D.

Well, the goal of the game is to score more goals than your opponent...right? If they score 3, I gotta score 4 at least!!! :D

At least no one can excuse you of playing boring football :D

I can already think of a Markham Marauders billboard. 'Think soccer is boring? Then watch the Markham Marauders soccer at Walker Park to change your mind! Fantastic entertainment with tickets as low as $5!!!' :D

Loving this so far. Amazing world cup run by the Americans, and glad to see Philadelphia have been nowhere near the relegation zone and based on the last club value chart moving on up in the standnings soon!

Keep up the awesome work and hopefully I'll see you clash with the Union soon enough

Hey rancer. Been hearing about that new stadium that is being proposed for Markham, a 19 000 seat NHL ready one. Is that a go? Are they were going to be able to bring in another franchise when the Maple Leafs don't want it? I thought Toronto owns the rights for all of lower Ontario. Would love another team there and the population can definitely support it; just didn't think that the Maple Leafs would back down, especially over the controversy of Hamilton a few years ago.

Apparently, the stadium's on the cusp of approval. I can't see the Leafs allowing another team. Especially one that's much closer to the Air Canada Centre than either Hamilton or the Jim Balsille Kitchener-Waterloo team would have been.

The NHL's basically given the Leafs a veto on this - I can't even begin to calculate how many millions they would demand to allow it.

Cheers for all the positive support lads. :):thup:

cerud, the Leafs aren't going to give up territorial rights in Southern Ontario, much less one in the GTA...the NHL will let them veto any moves for any potential franchises coming into their area. Like Toronto Blizzard said, the incoming franchise would have to give up a huge sum to MLSE, and it's not like Bell and Rogers need the money when they can buy 3 sports teams, the arena, buildings, several TV stations for $2 billion...

Maybe Hedley could perform there, but not much else other than concerts...Quebec City, Kansas City, and even Seattle if they can get a new arena and ownership interest are more realistic than a second Toronto team.

I'd be happy with Seattle. The West needs more teams in good markets in order to move another team to the East (Detriot anyone? ;) ) Plus there would be an instant revalry with Vancouver...because that's what they need...more rivalries...

Plus the Leafs and Sabres own a joint veto on any new club in southern Ontario. Not bad. Quebec City just is not big enough to warrant a team. The NHL already had to change their bylaws on risk size just to allow Winnipeg back in because the MT Centre was too small by the previous bylaws. Kansas City would be alright...don't know much about that market.

logo_mac.png

2016 Season - Markham Marauders - Colonial Division 2

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - A very easy season for us as we clinched the league title with 4 games to go! We broke the goals scored record in the league, and we were only 2 points away from breaking the points record.

North American Open Cup - Unlucky we couldn't get to the 1st round proper this season.

Colonial Cup - We did great in this competition, finishing it off with a win with our classic, go up 3-0, and nearly blow the lead in the end style of play! Or similar to the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. :D

Ontario Cup - lost at the first stage. Nothing new to report here so I won't even bother with a screenshot!

Transfers -

Squad - Our squad relied on 3 players - all youth products - for goals this season. But overall it was a great team effort!!!

Youth Players:

Radford Sinclair (YP 2012) - He had a great season, but yikes he's asking for $72,000 on a part-time contract! He's good, but not $72 grand good...hope his demands decrease greatly in December, I would even accept if he wanted $36k (although I would want a 2 or 3 year contract, at least I have wage certainty), but it's a tough decision with his sky-high wage demand.

Anthony Baker (YP 2013) - Solid season again, and he's only asking $11k a year! I hope I can get him locked up to a 3 year part-time contract.

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - Great season and very good penalty taker. He would still scored over 10 goals even without the penalties.

Brian Hussein (YP 2015) - A bit of a part-time player since there's competition at his position. He's still considered a good USL-East player in the future so that's good.

Traitor Update:

Dennis Campbell (YP 2016) - Mobile Pelicans - 22 apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 6.68 rating. His team made the playoffs but hope they lose and stay in tier 7! What an idiot he was, he could have gone to a team getting to the 5th tier.

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We got excellent junior coaching but our youth setup costs have skyrocketed!!! We're paying 35Gs a month!

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

2016 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• survive but of course I want to do well because we need the money. 13th place in the Colonial Premier League has $200,000 prize money, which is the same as winning the Colonial Division 2, so that's my goal next season. Get 13th place!
  • figure out what to do with Radford Sinclair...we have several free agents but most of them will not have outrageous demands. But Rotundo and Sinclair want over $70,000 on PART-TIME CONTRACTS, and that will cripple my wage structure...

Year     Division                    Tier     Position                                                            Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st                  Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th                                                        Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th                                                              N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th                                                              N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd                                             Colonial Cup Winners
2016     Colonial Division 2            6          1st                                  Promotion, Colonial Cup Winners

I'd be happy with Seattle. The West needs more teams in good markets in order to move another team to the East (Detriot anyone? ;) ) Plus there would be an instant revalry with Vancouver...because that's what they need...more rivalries...

Plus the Leafs and Sabres own a joint veto on any new club in southern Ontario. Not bad. Quebec City just is not big enough to warrant a team. The NHL already had to change their bylaws on risk size just to allow Winnipeg back in because the MT Centre was too small by the previous bylaws. Kansas City would be alright...don't know much about that market.

Detroit can't move east. West needs them for ticket sales.

Sabres rely on the Toronto market for fans and they blocked Hamilton and I'm sure they'll block Markham too because it would affect their ticket sales to a degree. The NHL couldn't find any buyer for the Thrashers to stay in Atlanta and only Winnipeg showed up so they moved quickly. It's unique and it probably won't be like that for Phoenix or the Islanders since there's apparently still hope the Coyotes will stay in Phoenix and Isles staying till 2015 at least unless they can move to Brooklyn or Queens. Or else Wang moves them to Quebec City or KC.

There was a KC franchises called the Scouts, then later the Colorado Rookies, and moved again to New Jersey. I don't even know if there's an AHL or ECHL team in Kansas City...some Southeast markets (Nashville, Tampa, Raleigh) worked because they're winning or have won cups. Those 3 are stable now though.

I'm surprised Bettman hasn't made noise about Las Vegas again. He's clearly wedded to that "sunbelt" strategy. I wonder if the Markham stadium group would push for an AHL team...

No one wants to touch Vegas yet, because of the gambling...

AHL teams relocate sometimes, so the Markham Centre could be viable for an AHL team but they probably need to replace a current one. Maybe become Vancouver or Edmonton's affiliate? Both of their AHL affiliates are based in the US and quite far from the parent clubs.

Congratulations on promotion.

Cheers SRL88.

Promotion! Well done! Although it did look pretty easy this season :cool:

It was pretty easy and there was no way we weren't going to get promoted. :D

A brilliant season and lets all laugh at the traitor :lol:

The loser couldn't even help his team get promoted from tier 7. :cool:

--

Several players are asking around $70,000 a year on semi-pro contracts, and I've made a decision to only sign Sinclair to that amount, to a 3 year contract. It might cripple me but hopefully we've have more funds to pay players when his contract ends...

2016 Major League Soccer

MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-9.png

The MLS Cup is going to the state of Texas this year! FC Dallas wins their first championship in team history.

MLS Cup Playoffs

Quarter-Final

(5) Montreal Impact 4-0 Toronto FC (4)

(3) San Jose Earthquakes 2-2 (a) Sporting Kansas City (6)

Semi-Final

(1) New York Cosmos 0-2 Sporting Kansas City (6)

(5) Montreal Impact 4-4 (a) FC Dallas (2)

Final

(2) FC Dallas 4-1 Sporting Kansas City (6)

----

MLS/NASL Playoff

Semi-Final

(NASL-2) Fort Lauderdale Strikers 2-3 Michigan Bucks (NASL-3)

(MLS-20) Real Salt Lake 5-2 San Antonio Scorpions (NASL-1)

Final

(MLS-20) Real Salt Lake 4-1 Michigan Bucks (NASL-3)

----------

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_PlayerStats-4.png

----

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_TeamStats-4.png

Cosmos ain't leading the league in salaries anymore! But they did win the regular season title.

----

MajorLeagueSoccerTransfers_Transfers-4.png

Big money players are leaving the league after they make a name for themselves in MLS.

----

I know it might be a bit bland with these four screenshots every season, but frankly, I'm too busy with my club team to think much about the higher tiers, much less the highest one! Hopefully an MLS club outside of the Canadian ones get relegated so there's something interesting to report...

December 4, 2016

Markham Marauders resign former local youth product to biggest contract in club history

MARKHAM - The Markham Marauders, recently winning promotion to the 5th tier of North American soccer, Head Coach/General Manager Ricky Nakano, and striker Radford Sinclair have announced an agreement to a 3 year contract extension until the end of the 2019 season. The terms of the new contract are believed to about $62,000 annually according to various sources.

The team has also reached a 2 year agreement with Tyler Bishop. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"The club and Sinclair are happy to agree on this new contract of historical proportions," Nakano stated, "the success of the club from top to bottom have given us this opportunity to commit to such a fantastic player long term yet give us the flexibility to compete at the next level. He has worked very hard over the last couple seasons and he definitely deserves. We as a club take pride with our unique 'youth only' policy that doesn't occur anywhere in the world at any level of soccer and we will continue to have this policy."

When told that a couple other managers in the world, notably one Liechtensteiner club, and a Spanish club who are flying up the divisions into La Liga, Nakano simply replied: "Well, good for them and I wish them all the best."

As for Sinclair, he simply stated "I'm excited that I'm able to stay with the Markham Marauders for another 3 seasons. The faith and support from everyone, from the man above, the Markham Marauders organization with (owner) Mr. Donaldson, Mr. Nakano, and the coaching staff, and definitely my teammates since I joined the club."

When asked about this 'man above', Sinclair told the reporters "my papa. We live in the same apartment but he lives one floor above me. So he's the man above. Watcha thinking? That I was going to all Tim Tebow or Jeremy Lin on you guys??"

When asked about this 'man above', Sinclair told the reporters "my papa. We live in the same apartment but he lives one floor above me. So he's the man above. Watcha thinking? That I was going to all Tim Tebow or Jeremy Lin on you guys??"

Hahahaha I'm dying

Markham Marauders - Colonial Premier League

logo_mac.png

Youth Intake 2017

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-4.png

Simon Cordon - Wow, he's very good! Hope he doesn't get poached...

Josh Brown - another very solid player. He'll be part of the midfield core in the near future.

Evan Medwin - likewise with the other ones. We just need to sign him to a contract before anyone else...

Dale Hunter - He's ok. Worth a shot...

And our youth product of 2017 (who I will confirm that he is NOT stolen from us :)):

Enrico Cavalluzzo - Wowwwww. His current ability according to my ass man? A good USL Pro-East player, and already automatic starter on the first team. Potential? A decent Major League Soccer striker!!!!! Jackpot. :D

Hope I don't regret that big contract I gave Sinclair...

Can't stand NFL/CFL. Drives me to sleep.

We managed to sign all our youths except Cordon, which was a bit annoying because he was our second best player in the intake. Traitors will only be the YP if they get scooped, but really wished of all of them after Cavalluzzo, I could have kept Cordon...

Some very good youth players have come through in that batch.Enrico Cavalluzzo is and will be class for you,hopefully he and Cordon stay for many years.

Also thanks for the mention ;)

Some very good youth players have come through in that batch.Enrico Cavalluzzo is and will be class for you,hopefully he and Cordon stay for many years.

Also thanks for the mention ;)

Cordon left already for another club, but he's the only one to leave among the players I offered contracts to. Not sure whether to call him traitor though. We lose players every year. :(

And you're welcome mate, always liked to someone link some threads together through news articles. :D

For now, he'll be called 'TRAITOR #2'. Not gonna waste my time trying to think of a cool nickname for him. :lol:

Hopefully as we go up the tiers we'll lose less of the good players...

And in team related news, 3 of our youngsters are headed to the the CONCACAF U20 Tournament: goalkeeper John Cain and left back Pedro Lopez will be joining Canada, while Navin Simon will represent Jamaica. I won't mind them joining the national teams because they won't miss more than a game or two and gives them some international experience.

Being a Michigan man and a Detroit fan for well on 30 years now, Detroit fans absolutely want to go to the East. We loved the proposed re-alignment because even though it didn't send us to an Eastern Conference, it still had us in a division that was just Eastern-Central time zones. As it stands, we have a lot of away games that don't start until 10 pm Detroit time, which makes it tough on the fans to watch.

I'm surprised Bettman hasn't made noise about Las Vegas again. He's clearly wedded to that "sunbelt" strategy. I wonder if the Markham stadium group would push for an AHL team...

Friend of mine who's lived in Las Vegas says they desperately want a major league team, but he's not sure just how well they would draw for hockey. Not so much because of the Sun Belt aspect, but because you have a lot of transplanted Northerners who already have their own loyalties, and because the nature of the economy in Las Vegas means a lot of your residents are working night shift.

Apparently the ECHL team every now and then has a game with a midnight start time, to try to be available for those shift workers.

Cavalluzzo looks class, shame on losing Cordon though, he looked like a pretty decent player.

As B.W.G said, thanks for the mention in that great news article :D

Cheers Scarman. Cavalluzzo looks good attribute wise, but Baker and Sinclair seem to have the chemistry so far atm...

Tough on losing Cordon. I also like the crossover to BWG and Scarman! Might steal that news idea from you if you don't mind

Go ahead cerud I won't mind. :D

Some excellent prospects through there.

The excellent youth coaching is paying dividends!!! At a cost...

No more Serbians this year :(

If you said the name 'Mitch Fletcher' to me, I wouldn't think he's Serbian. :D

---

Season has been average, it's a lot tougher this year. Also compounded by the fact we lose $50,000 a month even though we're selling out our imaginary 500 all seater..it's not the wages, but youth setup, so I'm undecided whether to downgrade and spend ~$25,000 less a month on youth setup.

Being a Michigan man and a Detroit fan for well on 30 years now, Detroit fans absolutely want to go to the East. We loved the proposed re-alignment because even though it didn't send us to an Eastern Conference, it still had us in a division that was just Eastern-Central time zones. As it stands, we have a lot of away games that don't start until 10 pm Detroit time, which makes it tough on the fans to watch.

----

Friend of mine who's lived in Las Vegas says they desperately want a major league team, but he's not sure just how well they would draw for hockey. Not so much because of the Sun Belt aspect, but because you have a lot of transplanted Northerners who already have their own loyalties, and because the nature of the economy in Las Vegas means a lot of your residents are working night shift.

Apparently the ECHL team every now and then has a game with a midnight start time, to try to be available for those shift workers.

Everyone in Detroit wants to move East. Re-alignment will probably be part of the new CBA because I don't think Winnipeg will want to be in the Southeast for another season. Sucks to be a Wings fan (ok, not really since you have celebrated lots of Cups ;)), but it really depends on the Coyotes situation right now (Islanders won't have to worry till 2015).

---

Interesting about Vegas. I'm not sure if millionaires are willing to play at midnight though...

Interesting about Vegas. I'm not sure if millionaires are willing to play at midnight though...

It's Vegas, they could still go out after the game. Coaches might not like their players being out at 5 am though. :D

Unfortunately, the NHL has already been decided for next season and it'll be the same. After the NHLPA vetoed the potential restructuring, they weren't able to get in a new plan before arenas needed league schedules. Hopefully the CBA fixes this for 2013-2014...

MarkhamMaruaders.jpg

2017 Season - Markham Marauders - Colonial Premier League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - I am shocked. I didn't expect this, even though at the end of the season, we really had bad form. Although we only did lose 4 youth products to injury during that span, and only one of the 4 managed to be match fit enough to play the final match. USL-Pro East, here we come!!!

North American Open Cup - We finally made it past the 1st Round proper, but promptly got destroyed by a USL-Pro East club. Hopefully not a vision of things to come next season...

Colonial Cup - We won't be in this competition next year, but unfortunately we lost in the final in a terrible performance by my team.

Ontario Cup - We made it to the semis, but unfortunately, we had the Toronto FC Reserves, and they killed us.

Transfers - Got rid of a few fringe players.

Squad - A small squad, but we had key contributors from a lot of players.

Youth Players:

Radford Sinclair (YP 2012) - Alright season. He wasn't going to live up to his wage, but he contributed. Unfortunately, he missed 9 weeks this season due to injury and still has 2 years left on his contract after this year.

Anthony Baker (YP 2013) - He's been inconsistent here and there, but he managed to score 10 league goals. He has score double digits in league goals for 5 years now, although it might end when we're in USL-Pro East

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - His fourth year with the first team, he had another fantastic season.

Brian Hussein (YP 2015) - solid year, unfortunate that he's tore his calf muscle though...

Enrico Cavalluzzo (YP 2017) - First full season at the club, and he's already my best player! A big reason why Markham Marauders are headed to the 4th USL-Pro East!

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

Prize money is keeping the club afloat money wise. We will hopefully increase junior coaching once more to an exceptional level before the new players come in January 1, 2018.

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

2016 Season

2017 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• I wouldn't be surprised if we got relegated. On the bright side even finishing last gets you $300,000, so it's not that bad.
  • Our stadium has 500 seats, we got 477 of those filled this season on average. Next season, we will definitely sell out the other 23 seats. If the Town of Markham are willing to build the GTA Centre, surely they wouldn't mind developing a 5000 seat soccer specific stadium that has room for stadium expansions for the only sports team in the area :D. We definitely need a new stadium, how we're going to get the funds, I have no idea.

Year     Division                    Tier     Position       Attendance                                              Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st              299    Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th              265                                          Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th              308                                                N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th              282                                                N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd              383                               Colonial Cup Winners
2016     Colonial Division 2            6          1st              357                    Promotion, Colonial Cup Winners
2017     Colonial Premier League        5          1st              477                  Promotion, Colonial Cup Finalists

2017 Major League Soccer

MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-10.png

Toronto FC has finally won something!!!! Unfortunately, it's the equivalent of the NHL's Presidents Trophy which is quite useless...they choked in the playoffs at the first hurdle. Sporting Kansas City, formerly the Kansas City Wizards, formerly the Kansas City Wiz, have found won the MLS Cup.

Columbus Crew finished at the bottom but managed to survive.

MLS Cup Playoffs

Quarter-Final

(4) New York Red Bulls (p) 3-3 DC United (5)

(6) Houston Dynamo 0-2 FC Dallas (3)

Semi-Final

(2) Sporting Kansas City 5-3 FC Dallas (3)

(1) Toronto FC 2-3 New York Red Bulls (4)

Final

(4) New York Red Bulls 4-4 (a) Sporting Kansas City (2)

MLS Relegation Playoffs

Semi-Final

(NASL-2) Orlando City 3-0 Puerto Rico Islanders (NASL-3)

(NASL-1) Tampa Bay Rowdies 0-4 Columbus Crew (MLS)

Final

(NASL-2) Orlando City 1-3 Columbus Crew (MLS)

Major League Soccer Managers

• Chicago Fire - Piotr Nowak (POL/USA)
  • Chivas USA - Robin Fraser (USA)
  • Colorado Rapids - Didier Deschamps (FRA)
  • Columbus Crew - Robert Warzycha (POL/USA)
  • DC United - Gert Heerkes (NED)
  • FC Dallas - Dominic Kinnear (USA)
  • Houston Dynamo - Jorginho (BRA)
  • LA Galaxy - Ben Olsen (USA)
  • Montreal Impact - John Mensah (GHA)
  • New England Revolution - Jay Heaps (USA)
  • New York Cosmos - Antonio Conte (ITA)
  • New York Red Bulls - Renato Gaucho (BRA)
  • Philadelphia Union - Dunga (BRA)
  • Portland Timbers - Marcelo Bielsa (ARG)
  • Real Salt Lake - Peter Bosz (NED)
  • San Jose Earthquakes - Ruud Gullit (NED)
  • Seattle Sounders - Martin Jol (NED)
  • Sporting Kansas City - Preki (USA)
  • Toronto FC - John van der Brom (NED)
  • Vancouver Whitecaps - Martin Rennie (SCO)

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_PlayerStats-5.png

-----

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_TeamStats-5.png

I think that there's good competitive balance now even with the minor gulf in salaries. The unpredictability of MLS is preventing the bigger clubs from always winning the league.

----

MajorLeagueSoccerTransfers_Transfers-5.png

So I got good news and bad (ok, not really bad, but really annoyed about it :() news:

The good:

MarkhamMaruadersBoardroom_BoardOverview.png

As you can see, the board are in the planning stages of building a new stadium in Markham! Thank you Markham city council!!!

The (slightly) bad and annoying thing:

I HAVE NO INFORMATION ABOUT IT...I totally overlooked my mails about it. How big? No idea. The name? Errr...Markham Maruaders Stadium?? Wild guess. The cost?? Erm I dunno..first time I ever had the board build a new stadium, and I have no idea about it... :(

But nonetheless, it's nice we're getting out of Walker Park with those 500 imaginary seats in 3 years!!!

EDIT: actually found out that that the board didn't tell me anything about this new stadium, no news item and this just popped out of nowhere...so not sure what to expect of this new stadium. But at least the board had enough common sense to plan to build one.

Congrats on Promotion!

Right when I thought I was gaining ground on you *shakes fist*

Cheers mate.

I don't think I'll be getting in the 3rd tier just yet, and who knows whether I can survive the 4th tier which is the professional tier..so you can probably get promoted to the 6th tier and beyond really soon to catch up with me. :lol:

Does it tell you anything about the new stadium in your Facilities tab? I know for me, it told me that I was expected to move into my stadium on a certain date, but also told me capacity.

Archived